Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I focus the spray on their limbs and generally most things take around 20ish fuel to die if I'm not being economical (unnecessary IMO, I've never felt low on fuel and would even sell anything past one stack) and kiting them. It doesn't kill as quick as the Ripper and certainly the other guns, but it'll put anything into this little stun animation that's an easy setup for a limb cut or whatever once you spray them with enough fire. Fuel drops in 25 stacks too, I usually "profit" when getting flamer kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

TjyvTompa posted:

They will give you nothing, the chest will be open and empty.

:wrong:

They started giving me semiconductors.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Been watching an original Dead Space dev react to the remake and it's been pretty interesting. Apparently the dismemberment feature was very computationally expensive back then, since they needed to rig up like 5 different models for every necromorph that walked around simultaneously in a meta entity and just split off when severing a limb, so they were never able to have more than like 4 or 5 enemies in a room at once. That's why they made every enemy more like a mini puzzle and rather tanky instead of going for high numbers.

He also mentioned how much thought went into the UI and how well it works, like how every panel is color-coded like yellow means "this is information", red means "this is something to do&fix" and blue means "this is something to click on / interact with" which you pick up really naturally but never really put a thought into.

edit: they also made the Ishimura as non-OSHA and dangerous to work in as possible on purpose, so it seems that at any point you can just snag your suit at any random point of metal hanging from a railing and leak your O2 and die

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 5, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

toasterwarrior posted:

I focus the spray on their limbs and generally most things take around 20ish fuel to die if I'm not being economical (unnecessary IMO, I've never felt low on fuel and would even sell anything past one stack) and kiting them. It doesn't kill as quick as the Ripper and certainly the other guns, but it'll put anything into this little stun animation that's an easy setup for a limb cut or whatever once you spray them with enough fire. Fuel drops in 25 stacks too, I usually "profit" when getting flamer kills.

Great name and post combo!

I like to stunlock the regular tier enemies and then knock them down with the plasma cutter melee and then they usually die before they can get too mobile again. For more than one enemy I’ll stay on the flames or switch guns and for a high value target I use the firewall and then switch guns to at least knock off a leg.

I just find that if I use the ripper and the flamer I tend to take hits from being too close, which is just never an issue with other guns, since the other guns are better at range (may not apply to force gun, which has gone underutilized, but I remember it having a nice mulching effect of panic fired up close).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HenryEx posted:

edit: they also made the Ishimura as non-OSHA and dangerous to work in as possible on purpose, so it seems that at any point you can just snag your suit at any random point of metal hanging from a railing and leak your O2 and die

This is the hallway in hydroponics that is just spikes on the wall and dim lights. What are the spikes for? Well so you don't bump into the walls in the dark, obviously.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Barudak posted:

This is the hallway in hydroponics that is just spikes on the wall and dim lights. What are the spikes for? Well so you don't bump into the walls in the dark, obviously.

The hallways before the asteroid defense guns is what gets me. Just lined with razor sharp metal blades right after you put on your space suit.

I get the feeling that they're supposed to be heat radiators from the guns, but venting into the hallways?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Barudak posted:

See I was thinking the hallway in hydroponics that just sprays acid at you in random intervals.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

veni veni veni posted:

I couldn’t believe when they did a round 2 when backtracking it and made it even worse. There’s dead ends everywhere so it’s just so easy to get cornered and it seems really poorly tuned. Probably the first time I’ve actually thought “this is straight up badly designed” in the whole game.

That’s how hydroponics felt for me. It’s less long now because of the flying mechanics but it’s just too long and slow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i had some ridiculous amount of contact beam ammo entering aegis vii so that entire section ended up being kind of a breeze lol

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Arrrthritis posted:

See I was thinking the hallway in hydroponics that just sprays acid at you in random intervals.

Especially the sprayer being right in front of doors, super fun to wait for them to open hoping you aren’t about to get sprayed.

I assume they don’t normally spray acid and like the filtration flaring off the gas it’s hydro crew trying to slow the growth poo poo but who knows

Would be nice to have a log or something about it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

This room in aegis 7 is the first time this game has sort of pissed me off. I guess other than the tentacle parts. But the first necromorph room that just feels like complete overkill.

Are we thinking of the same rooms? Because like the two big fights in Aegis are in rooms where you have multiple unlimited stasis recharge stations. Which let you uh... stasis freeze everything with reckless abandon

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arrrthritis posted:

Big fan of the hallways that fill with fire to regulate heat on the ship, personally.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

in hindsight, subcontracting hellraiser inc. to build the ishimura may have been a miscalculation on CEC's part

Dogen
May 5, 2002

No lessons were learned from the Event Horizon. Or, the wrong lessons were learned.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The refer to the Ishimura as the pride of the CEC which leads one to ponder what the hell the lesser ships are.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i feel like if you're in upper management and R&D hands you a drawing of a ship that looks like a fleshless ribcage, you've gotta at least have a chat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

i feel like if you're in upper management and R&D hands you a drawing of a ship that looks like a fleshless ribcage, you've gotta at least have a chat

So you're saying it takes less time to build and its cheaper to make?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Barudak posted:

The refer to the Ishimura as the pride of the CEC which leads one to ponder what the hell the lesser ships are.

Am I wrong in remembering it’s the pride in the sense that it’s the first planet cracker and old as poo poo and this trip is like its swan song? Maybe they uh got less spiky as time went on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RatHat posted:

Pro-tip: You can get a full heal at a bench for 5k credits by respeccing your suit nodes and getting the HP nodes again

oh poo poo that is a good idea

also force gun alt + flamethrower alt would be pretty fun

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's the biggest as well I think, the others are implied to not be on the same scale.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

The hallways before the asteroid defense guns is what gets me. Just lined with razor sharp metal blades right after you put on your space suit.

I get the feeling that they're supposed to be heat radiators from the guns, but venting into the hallways?

I knew what kinda ship this was right when I walked into the spot with the databoard for the trams and it was a pointless massive room filled with nothing but cat walks over misty darkness and a huge clinking metal frame suspended high above.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

They aren’t actually spikes. It just looks like it from the angle you enter the room at. They are some sort of panels.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

yeah, those "spikes" are just vent panels that are angled to look as sinister as humanly possible

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Barudak posted:

They have a necromorph infestation built in at the dry dock.

Also game completed, 14:30. I think I'll go for round 2.

In the end I settled on Ripper, Flame Thrower and Force Gun for my trio. The fully uploaded Force Gun is a loving hilarious shotgun. Even if it doesn't kill a necromorph with the first shot, it WILL always blast all of their skin and tissue off, leaving just a screaming skeleton behind.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In my NG+ playthrough I had an enemy spawn in the tram station. I also had one of the babies follow me into a tram station. This is probably the most terrifying thing for me because in the original tram stations where safe havens where I could shop and upgrade without having to worry if something was around. Now I question the tram stations and I don't feel safe anywhere. I did find that the baby wouldn't follow me onto the tram itself, it just stayed on the platform and shot at me even if I ducked behind the wall.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

I mean it’s the pride because it was the first planet cracker and they just never decommissioned it. Looks like OSHA wasn’t invented til year 50

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

at the end of chapter 10, if you go back into the shuttle will enemies follow you in? or can you just cheese it by popping in and out of there

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Dead Space 2 Remake out yet?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I said come in! posted:

Is Dead Space 2 Remake out yet?

I'm kinda debating with myself if I should just roll into DS2 on the PC or not. It's obviously not going to look half as good, but maybe people have modded it or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean realistically it’s gonna be like three years at minimum for a dead space 2 remake. Their aren’t a lot of shared assets between the two at least level design wise

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh yeah 100%. I'm not hoping they'll put out DS2 Remake any time in the near future.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just played through Dead Space 2 - are you supposed to spend the last part of the game just sprinting from room to room, completely ignoring the enemies? Even on Medium the number of enemy waves that spawn is so big that it takes a huge effort to clear them out, with a big risk of dying because of those drat spitters that you can't see because you're also battling two or three black necromorphs at the same time. In contrast, rushing to the next door, spamming stasis on any enemy that comes near until the door opens, is a cakewalk.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ymgve posted:

Just played through Dead Space 2 - are you supposed to spend the last part of the game just sprinting from room to room, completely ignoring the enemies?

that's how i handled it, yeah. it's admittedly an appropriate atmosphere given current events during that section, but it does feel like a bit of a wild sprint to the finish line

IIRC, the devs said in an interview that they had the ol' gamedev classic of running out of time at the tail end of development, which is why so many of the game's last sections are just wave battles and simplified labyrinths

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm on the PS5 with the 3D headset and I'm struggling to decide if the sound design is genius or lazy.

I just finished chapter 1 and it seems that you can pretty much always hear something scuttling about.

Doesn't matter if there's actually anything there or not I don't think, but in certain rooms (where you get an encounter) there's a scuttle.

On the one hand, it's effective at keeping you tense. On the other, it's a bit cheap and only works the first time unless you're playing some sort of randomiser.

The do like how some of the rooms have been reworked so far though.

That first room in medical where you start using the kinesis is structurally the same as the original, but it has an entirely different set of room modelling and textures.

It's like actually going through the glorified nostalgic version of the ship you vaguely recall from the first time you played the original.

Am I right in thinking that the rest of the game is basically like this?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kin posted:

On the one hand, it's effective at keeping you tense. On the other, it's a bit cheap and only works the first time unless you're playing some sort of randomiser.

to my knowledge, it's inherently partly randomized: the intensity director can decide to try and amp up the tension by playing noises or doing vent jumpscares without actually spawning in an enemy

the sound mixing is also in general doing something that's common in a lot of horror games post-alien: isolation, where common enemy noises are mixed subtly into the background soundscape, so engines sound just the slightest bit like a slasher's howling, or the clanking of metal on metal sounds reeeeally close to something banging around in the vents

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
One of my favourite things was coming back into the west grow tower after having fed power to the doors, really tense music playing, flicking power back to the sounds. "Therapeutic Ambience On" jungle sounds flood in, the tense music completely goes away, and Isaac's heartbeat starts to go slower.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm on chapter 1 of impossible and i'm already gonna have a heart attack

i thought all the enemies could be stasis stomped in 4-5 stomps but i guess not

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vermain posted:

the sound mixing is also in general doing something that's common in a lot of horror games post-alien: isolation, where common enemy noises are mixed subtly into the background soundscape, so engines sound just the slightest bit like a slasher's howling, or the clanking of metal on metal sounds reeeeally close to something banging around in the vents

I’m playing DS2 atm, and it feels like they were already doing something similar there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

actionjackson posted:

i'm on chapter 1 of impossible and i'm already gonna have a heart attack

i thought all the enemies could be stasis stomped in 4-5 stomps but i guess not

The hardest part is definitely at the start before you have kinesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ymgve posted:

Just played through Dead Space 2 - are you supposed to spend the last part of the game just sprinting from room to room, completely ignoring the enemies? Even on Medium the number of enemy waves that spawn is so big that it takes a huge effort to clear them out, with a big risk of dying because of those drat spitters that you can't see because you're also battling two or three black necromorphs at the same time. In contrast, rushing to the next door, spamming stasis on any enemy that comes near until the door opens, is a cakewalk.

Yeah, once the regenerator shows up it's not worth trying to methodically clear out every room anymore. There's a glitch where you can kill it by knocking it into a fan but it's in the very last room before the final boss so there's no point.