Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
y'all never read freedarko? that prose is tame in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Calling that fan fic is just sour grapes. Let a guy attempt some style. Current sports writing paradigm is extremely dull and anodyne

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

The Ringer is out with their top 125 NBA player list. Due to forum rules on encouraging selfharm, I'm not linking it.

The following teams have 5 or more in the top 100:
  • Boston Simmonses (Tatum 7, Brown 21, Williams 56, Smart 62, Horford 76, Brogdon 78, White 82)
  • Golden State Warriors (Curry 4, Green 45, Klay 49, Wiggins 52, Looney 88)
  • Milwaukee Bucks (Freek 2, Holiday 32, Middleton 41, Lopez 53, Portis 98)
  • Toronto Raptors (Siakam 22, Anunoby 57, VanVleet 64, Barnes 69, Poeltl 92)
  • Minnesota Timberwolves (Ant 27, KAT 35, Rudy 50, Conley 80, McDaniels 87)
Join me in astonishment that nuGrantland would assert 2 bench players in Boston are actually better than the starters for most of the league! 100 is, of course, an arbitrary cutoff that leaves off multiple Celtics and Grizzes... but 75 would have left off 2 Wolves which would generally ruin the point of my exercise and top 90 would've been a bit too on the nose.

smh not having Kyle Anderson in the top 100

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Calling that fan fic is just sour grapes. Let a guy attempt some style. Current sports writing paradigm is extremely dull and anodyne

quote:

No player has broken out this season quite like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, whose barrage of floaters, layups, and difficult pull-up jumpers are as idiosyncratic as they are unstoppable. Leading a small-market rebuild as their 24-year-old veteran, SGA’s per-game numbers are across-the-board silly, from the first quarter through crunch time.

Almost every high-volume scorer in the NBA is well acquainted with the 3-point line. Not Shai. He sizzles in the paint and from the midrange, with a diner-sized menu of shot types that are nearly impossible to see coming even when everyone in the building knows what’s about to happen.

He's historically proficient driving the ball and unafraid to set up green teammates in the earliest stages of their own development. Instead of wondering whether he’ll make his first All-Star team, the better way to gauge SGA’s remarkable season is to guess how many MVP ballots his name will be printed on. —Michael Pina
yeah it's just the way he writes. if you want this stuff with zero fluff, basketball-reference already exists.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's extremely well-written it just is so effusive it feels like I'm being sold an MLM product.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

It's extremely well-written it just is so effusive it feels like I'm being sold an MLM product.

Yeah denver is a mid level market so it makes sense

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Being hyperbolic about the highest level of players seems fine. I don't think it's necessarily that different than what you would've written about the #1 ranked player in any given year.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I hope Ja gets the help he needs and figures poo poo out. He seems to be moving into the right direction at least.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Ammanas posted:

he is dumb but that doesnt mean he's wrong. fwiw he called the Kings a playoff (not play-in) team early in the season, about the only good call I've seen him make in a while

Whether he's dumb or not, he said that on the Windhorst podcast a full week ago, so it's dumb that it's getting re-aggregated.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So I'm starting to look at matchups because I always get so excited by the first couple rounds of the NBA playoffs.

For the West I think the top-3 are probably the top-3, though I think the Kings will overtake the Grizz for the 2 spot. I'd still put money on the Suns at #3 as the Warriors have 8 of the last 13 away.

Watching the Wolves the most, I'm assuming they'll be somewhere in the 6-8 group(shot at #5 but a lot has to go right) and I am kinda assuming they get through the play-in regardless. I'd like to avoid Denver completely (that might be a sweep), I feel like Sac is a really good team but the Wolves match up well against them, so if the Wolves end up #7 that might be ok. Grizzlies I feel like I'd like to avoid but last year's series was amazing and no JJJ will be huge if KAT is actually on the floor. I don't want to play the Suns but wouldn't mind at all facing the Warriors.

At the East I don't see how the top 4 don't all get to the 2nd round, with the POSSIBLE exception of a Knicks/Cavs 4-5 round but I think the Cavs are just the better team overall, even if the Knicks are heating up. I think the first round for the West is going to be great and the East might be a little boring.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah denver is a mid level market so it makes sense

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hot or mild take, Ja wasn't making all-nba even if this never happened. At best he'd make third team, and even that's a maybe.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tae posted:

Hot or mild take, Ja wasn't making all-nba even if this never happened. At best he'd make third team, and even that's a maybe.

I'd say Luca, Steph, Donovan, Devin, Ja

The gun stuff/not playing could put Shae, Jalen or even Kyrie above him

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I know his team is going nowhere, but Dame has to be in there somewhere.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I’m really pulling for the Kings this year, what a great story.

Which means of course they will get absolutely destroyed. Sorry about that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bip Roberts posted:

I'd say Luca, Steph, Donovan, Devin, Ja

The gun stuff/not playing could put Shae, Jalen or even Kyrie above him

I'd put Shae above him regardless. Kyrie has a really good argument too. Ja started the season red hot but cooled a lot down the stretch.

Jack's Flow posted:

I know his team is going nowhere, but Dame has to be in there somewhere.

Yeah Dame too, again even without Ja ending his season Dame is playing better. Portland isn't even that bad of a team, there's just a glut of teams that are a little bit better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wouldve put shae above ja a month ago

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

I looked up Booker & Curry and they’ve only played 41 and 43 games…they should not be all-nba

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

de curry GOAT posted:

I looked up Booker & Curry and they’ve only played 41 and 43 games…they should not be all-nba

It’s okay I’ve been repeatedly informed this never happens

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Both those teams have 13-14 games left

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Was Dirk the last player to make an all-NBA team but not the All Star team? (2001 season) I feel like there might have been two other players since but have forgotten.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Spacebump posted:

Was Dirk the last player to make an all-NBA team but not the All Star team? (2001 season) I feel like there might have been two other players since but have forgotten.

Siakam last year.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Lockback posted:

Both those teams have 13-14 games left

55 games??? please

deaaron fox is at 60 games right now and his club is above both

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Eratik posted:

Siakam last year.

Thank you. I can't believe I forgot that happened last year. I just remembered it happened to Marc Gasol in 2013.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Andrew Bogut and I believe DeAndre Jordan have also pulled the all-NBA but no all-star feat. Speaks a lot to the death of the traditional center position.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

de curry GOAT posted:

Take it to the cspam thread

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

de curry GOAT posted:

55 games??? please

deaaron fox is at 60 games right now and his club is above both

Thank you. I’ll allow Dame and Shai, but absolutely not Kyrie or whichever Jalen is being referred to over Fox

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

You get the contract kicker Stuff even for third team, ask Bradley Beal

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

hifi posted:

Take it to the cspam thread

wow thats still a thing. does euphronius agree with me? hmm well, it seems he knows ball

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Bally Sports declared bankruptcy today, doesn't seem like it will have any short-term impact on airing games but a good chunk of the league has their local broadcast on one Bally channel or another.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/bally-sports-just-declared-bankruptcy-the-death-of-rsns/

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 15, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It’s so nice of the Nuggets to see that everyone else in their conference is going through it right now and saying “you know what, we’re gonna suck now too, out of solidarity”

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It's like it's 2018 again, AD put up 35&17 and the Pelicans still lost

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the pelicans dont seem very good without zion. it seems they've been in freefall since his injury.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Seams posted:

the pelicans dont seem very good without zion. it seems they've been in freefall since his injury.

Kibner can tell you better but they're also without many other guys. And they were doing well without zion earlier this year when the rest o the roster was still healthy. But yeah season Outta hell

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Seams posted:

They were really good last year without Zion and basically the same team but this year there's a lot of other things that also have gone wrong and othe rplayers who have got hurt since Zion went down.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Double post ? by two separate posters

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

33-36 also isn't putrid. I think people were expecting too much out of them even with Zion, but its extra tough without your main engine. I also think the NBA is just tougher this season vs last.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Kibner can tell you better but they're also without many other guys. And they were doing well without zion earlier this year when the rest o the roster was still healthy. But yeah season Outta hell

Rick posted:

They were really good last year without Zion and basically the same team but this year there's a lot of other things that also have gone wrong and othe rplayers who have got hurt since Zion went down.

:glomp:

Yeah, it's been a whole bunch of things. CJ playing through a finger injury on his shooting hand, Nance being in and out of injury reports, Jose in and out because of injury, Herb in and out because of injury, Dyson in and out because of injury (has been positively impactful as a rookie!), Ingram in and out because of injury, everybody on the roster going through shooting slumps at the same time, and coach Green not really getting the team to run a quality offense which has been leading to lots of bad iso's which has lead to some poor defense.

And, yeah, they were holding their own without Zion for like 10+ games. And then everyone started getting injured, leading to more usage on other guys who weren't quite ready for the increased workload, leading to more usage on other guys who weren't ready for the increased workload to a larger degree, etc.

Just a whole bunch of unfortunate poo poo other than the offense being stuck in the mud because either the scheme sucks or the players suck at consistently moving without the ball and then receiving the ball on the move/open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s a bummer cause I liked watching them in the few matches I saw early on in the season. Plus I like them simply because it’s funny they’re called the Pelicans