Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah it was lmao

I really did feel awfully bad about it because I really liked that post!

Wait, you couldn't see the original post? I've always assumed you could see every version of the post like Wikipedia edit history or something because I am very naive about this website

Can you only see who edited it and how many times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Tenkaris posted:

Wait, you couldn't see the original post? I've always assumed you could see every version of the post like Wikipedia edit history or something because I am very naive about this website

When you edit a post and submit it the previous version is gone forever. There's no version history. Maybe at the db level but not at mine

I had clicked on "edit" but my brain thought I had clicked on quote and I didn't take the two seconds to check whether it was in a quote box

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 25, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I just assumed they would want to see whatever horrible thing someone had tried to edit to cover their rear end if that scenario ever came up, maybe higher-ups can do it though?

Big oof on that one though Seth lmao

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Surprisingly no. That was Abraham.

It was also Louisgod

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

It was also Louisgod

if I had a nickel for every time a mod got owned by a child on twitter I'd have two nickels, that's not a lot but it's funny it happened twice

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

I cannot probe Fritz. The button is there, but it goes to a "sorry this action is prohibited!" screen.

this is your thread. are you the man of the house, or the man of the horse

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Mike Pence?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Brute Squad posted:

This saga always gave me a chuckle

from Jeph Lund/boniface/mobute sese seko getting interviewed about something

lmao I've been thinking about that pic but couldn't find it

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

question: do these forums make people insane or merely attract the already insane? some combination of the two?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

oh my god

quote:

That horse mocks you. Do you hear the neighing? More like naying! That horse says no to you. The horse is the man of the house. You are the horse. Clop clop! Trot about to your dingy office, little horsey. Your wife kisses her husband-horse when you can't see. And then again when you can. She buys it shoes, finer than any you'll own. Its metal feet crush your soul. "This horse is now man!" it exclaims. "I am defeated!" you cry. The horse has beat you. Soon you'll be in the stall, eating dry, bland grasses, while the majestic Horseband ferries your wife about town. "Oh!" the city folk shall say as they drop to their knees as their muscles fail them at the sight of such a couple. "The horse is such a man!" they weep as they tear out their eyes, knowing they'll never see such beauty again. Your wife and the HorseGod shall laugh and eat gold together. Ha ha! And your tears shall be blood as you shrivel and turn to dust, forgotten in that stall outside the city where the HORSE is now Emperor Of All and Lover Of One. The citizens will genuflect before the great beast, paying whatever tithe the Hoofed One demands, be it of coin or flesh. The people will rejoice to do so, as their Great and Benevolent Equine shall make their crops plenty, and their lives ever long. The rotten stall shall collapse on your worm-eaten bones, and none shall remember a whit about you. Except the UrHorse, the original horse, who shall shed no tear, but blink in bitter recollection of that brief time he had to endure you.

Do not let this come to be. Shoot that horse. With your Glock. Eat its meat. Make a horse stew. Turn its bones into glue, and use it to glue the skull to your wall. Use its hooves to make a tasteless gelatin to encase its eyes in. Do it. Be the man of the house, not the man of the horse. He watches!

I haven't thought about that post in years. I don't even know where it's from, because the PYF quotes part I grabbed it from all the links are broken.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mr. Fix It posted:

question: do these forums make people insane or merely attract the already insane? some combination of the two?

Definitely both, plus people with no power anywhere else in their lives getting the slightest bit of power here can really accelerate the process.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Definitely both, plus people with no power anywhere else in their lives getting the slightest bit of power here can really accelerate the process.

Who's the longest serving mod?

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
I love this thread, stoked we got some ik’s to make it even better

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

pentyne posted:

Who's the longest serving mod?

It was Dr Eldarion, who'd been humming along as the coupons and deals mod for like twenty years, but he stepped down in the past year-ish. So then probably Shine?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

my bony fealty posted:

just saw that Podima got perma'd after all lmao

:pressf:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

oh my god

I haven't thought about that post in years. I don't even know where it's from, because the PYF quotes part I grabbed it from all the links are broken.

holy poo poo i've never seen this, lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Now that I’m caught up I wanna make sure this is archived:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Fix It posted:

I'd say both. Posting online a lot skews your perspective of things and how you socialize. Social media stuff like Facebook or Twitter are great at making it worse. This is a dramatic troll forum so it self-selects on top of that, but eh you could look over at reddit and see it's just as prone to petty tyranny, completely inane power tripping stuff, and bizarre drama.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Congratulations to the new IKs. I look forward to finding out in a few days that one of you sells skinned kittens on Etsy.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Rotten posted:

I love this thread, stoked we got some ik’s to make it even better

they're good picks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'd say both. Posting online a lot skews your perspective of things and how you socialize. Social media stuff like Facebook or Twitter are great at making it worse. This is a dramatic troll forum so it self-selects on top of that, but eh you could look over at reddit and see it's just as prone to petty tyranny, completely inane power tripping stuff, and bizarre drama.
i think a big thing that separates these forums from facebook or twitter is that its a large enough community that it feels like there's people but its a small enough one that becoming known to everyone on it is reasonably possible. combine that with the relatively 'buttoned up' rules (people on twitter only get banned for like, posting coordinates to a bomb) and accounts having an active cost/people being actively driven out of the community sometimes it really feeds into these sorts of weird social power fantasies.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Saga request: when did "I'm gay" become a catchphrase

Vaguely remember an early oughts gassed thread where it appeared but no idea what it was now let alone if that was the first time someone did it as a shitpost no content reply to a bad thread

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

forty new pages what ha- oh no

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Anyone who's been in any kind of community, especially small and segmented ones, drat well knows this kind of insane bullshit isn't at all restricted to online, it's just that online has receipts for what you do and say.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

i think a big thing that separates these forums from facebook or twitter is that its a large enough community that it feels like there's people but its a small enough one that becoming known to everyone on it is reasonably possible. combine that with the relatively 'buttoned up' rules (people on twitter only get banned for like, posting coordinates to a bomb) and accounts having an active cost/people being actively driven out of the community sometimes it really feeds into these sorts of weird social power fantasies.

Yeah I was going to say something along these lines but you put it way better endorph.

Generally people here engage with almost any post or real effort to communicate where in so many places you truly are screaming into the void. It’s very easy to jump from “hey these people were cordial to me!” to “actually I’m the main character and I’m crushing it. I can’t fail. They’re going to love this!” And then you reveal your favorite fetish game LP or something.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anyone who's been in any kind of community, especially small and segmented ones, drat well knows this kind of insane bullshit isn't at all restricted to online, it's just that online has receipts for what you do and say.

One hundred per cent. And the smaller and more insular the community is, the worse the drama gets.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It was Dr Eldarion, who'd been humming along as the coupons and deals mod for like twenty years, but he stepped down in the past year-ish. So then probably Shine?

either shine or Invicta{HOG}, M.D.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

That's a good point. Facebook and Reddit can have communities, but they're often too big to mod the same way you do here. Plus Facebook and Twitter have their layer of mod bots and such before it reaches the completely faceless people spending miserable work days mopping up all the messes on those websites. This website is large but not so large that the mods are out of reach. They're around and are supposed to engage with people. The paid admission does mean people have more of a stake in the um "well being" I guess of their account, too.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah that's true. With more IRL interactions the forum posts are just replaced with face-to-face gossip, or texts, or emails.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Saga request: when did "I'm gay" become a catchphrase

Vaguely remember an early oughts gassed thread where it appeared but no idea what it was now let alone if that was the first time someone did it as a shitpost no content reply to a bad thread

The SAclopedia has an entry from 2007 saying it was originally a FYAD catchphrase: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2030

I remember in GBS 2.0 it pretty quickly became the default first page threadshit type post, so it might've filtered out into the rest of the forum from there.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Autisanal Cheese posted:

One hundred per cent. And the smaller and more insular the community is, the worse the drama gets.

Someone once told me the joke “Why are academic politics so cut-throat and vicious? Because the stakes are so small.” and I have been consistently amazed at how true that is for so many small groups.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr. Fix It posted:

I am the most sane

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Why am I still laughing at this

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

john wick 4 was sick

donnie yen fuckin owns

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

just getting caught up, and drat lmao. some of the poo poo goons get up to is just wild

freeasinbeer posted:

Really? We’re going right to convicted pedophilia accusal?

thread has moved on, but unexpected lol at this guy needing to include the qualifier convicted here

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

just getting caught up, and drat lmao. some of the poo poo goons get up to is just wild

thread has moved on, but unexpected lol at this guy needing to include the qualifier convicted here

It does read funny but I get it, I don't know how else you get on the sex offender's registry where those kinds of restraining orders are in effect

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brute Squad posted:

either shine or Invicta{HOG}, M.D.

maybe i'm wrong but i feel like SoundMonkey has been a mod for over a decade

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

maybe i'm wrong but i feel like SoundMonkey has been a mod for over a decade

He keeps his position because he inherited all of Doobie's blackmail material.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
new fyad noob contest just drop
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027895

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

its about to get kicked the gently caress off.. make sure you start potsing :siren: