Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Most of my thoughts don't make any sense. Nothing makes sense anymore.

edit- But I will put out the gold nuts for you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I got the sense that this could be a potential direction to go if AD! doesn't get renewed. Like it felt like this was going to be its own show but then again American Dad is the queen of non-sequitor television so who knows

That would mean no more Francine though, which is a deal breaker for me. Unless Roger runs into her identical looking and sounding grandmother or some sort of time traveling Francine clone and she and Roger team up, in that case I am fully on board for a fellow traveler spin off series.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Why would the framing device of this episode be preferable to the current show that would make it more likely to go on?

Anyways, AD isn't going to be renewed, at least not by TBS. That's a given. TBS is out of the scripted content game and there was word that they even tried to get out of this slate of episodes but were unable to. It's time to start lobbying Hulu now to continue the show beyond the 44 episodes (well 43 now) that have already been committed to.

Like most things these days American Dad is actually owned by Disney, TBS just has the rights to air it. So wether it continues on as an online only property is ultimately up to The Mouse, and they did bring back Futurama so they have a track record for continuing adult cartoons that have been taken of the air.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Now I'm imagining Roger teaming up with a new sidekick every episode. Each one resembling Francine in an often unsubtle way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Like most things these days American Dad is actually owned by Disney, TBS just has the rights to air it. So wether it continues on as an online only property is ultimately up to The Mouse, and they did bring back Futurama so they have a track record for continuing adult cartoons that have been taken of the air.

Right, which is why I said it's time to start lobbying Hulu to continue it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I recall reading at some point that Turner's deal for the show is that they can hold the syndication rights indefinitely, as long as they commit to the continued production of new episodes, but hell if I can find a shred of proof to back me up on that. That is the one scenario where I could see TBS making more new episodes considering the purge of literally everything else related to new scripted content under Discovery ownership, since AD reruns make up a significant part of TBS/Adult Swim scheduling.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Zaslav asked Disney to get out of the contract and cancel the show but Disney said no and they're going to continue producing them till the contract ends.

If Zaslav is out before then there's a chance of a renewel, but if not these next two seasons are the last.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Last for TBS anyways. Hulu has a growing animation slate, they already own this property and haven't given away the streaming rights to other outlets, so it is a natural fit to continue on that platform if it makes financial sense to do so. About the only negative I can see is the extensive back catalog, with Disney thinking enough is enough.

If the syndication thing is true, I don't see that as enough to get TBS to renew. They would rather put reality stuff on TBS and they could easily shrink adult swim by an hour (they've done it in the past) or run one of the other shows.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Disney might be looking to get rid of Hulu at some point soon. I hope not because Hulu stuff ends up on Disney+ in the UK, but it’s out there…

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's really more of a semantic argument because all the content would just end up on Disney+. After comcast pulls out, the only thing that will be left is Disney owned content so it would make sense for them to fold into their own brand at that point if they didn't want to keep the things logically separated. It doesn't really change the status of Hulu originals, they just become Disney+ originals.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Disney might be looking to get rid of Hulu at some point soon. I hope not because Hulu stuff ends up on Disney+ in the UK, but it’s out there…

Hulu is useful for Disney at the moment because it's a place they can put all the stuff they own that doesn't fit with the Disney "brand" like Family Guy. America can be weird about things like that, so while other countries can just get basically everything Disney has on the Disney plus app (you can watch American dad on the Disney plus app in Japan for example) politically it's still beneficial for Disney to have Hulu as a puppet site for all their more "adult" and "family unfriendly" properties so as not to piss off morally indignant people with too much free time.

It's a trick Disney has actually been doing for decades with production companies like Touchstone and the like.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's fine right now because it has to stay around until Comcast forces the buyout. Longer term, I don't think it's going to stick around.

Disney has already added parental controls to the Disney+ platform and brought over the Netflix Marvel TV series so that's violence covered. They also brought over The Orville which has its share of crude humor (at last in the earlier seasons). Let's also not forget that there were calls to cancel the Simpsons back in the day for vulgarity and while it seems tame now, it's sitting right alongside everything else on Disney+.

So, I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, especially when money comes into play.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

bull3964 posted:

I like how they got Paget Brewster just for the closing credits.

I actually thought it was Deborah Pratt, the actor who did the Quantum Leap "Theorising that one could time travel within his own lifetime" intro narration, it sounded just like her, cadence and everything.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
They could definitely do more episodes where we see what Roger was up to before he met the Smiths. Hell, the guy invented disco.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The_Doctor posted:

I actually thought it was Deborah Pratt, the actor who did the Quantum Leap "Theorising that one could time travel within his own lifetime" intro narration, it sounded just like her, cadence and everything.

It was absolutely Paget, watch the ending voice credits.

Amy Sedaris was the aging starlet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 28, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It was absolutely Paget, watch the ending voice credits.

Amy Sedaris was the aging starlet.

Oh no, I don't doubt it. There was just a very QL feel about the narration.

What an odd episode, it was pretty good, it just didn't have much in the way of funny jokes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I want a behind the scenes supercut sometime of Paget Brewster, Alan Tudyk, and Richard Kind in the studio spouting disconnected lines of dialog for the dozen or so episodes they appear in per season because you know they have them in to do it all at once I'm sure.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, I don't doubt it. There was just a very QL feel about the narration.

What an odd episode, it was pretty good, it just didn't have much in the way of funny jokes.

Yeah, it felt more like it was telling an actual story, which, well. They can do that, from time to time. But it was an odd balance to try and strike.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This was the start of season 20, or 19 depending on where you are looking. Def not 18 though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bull3964 posted:

If the syndication thing is true, I don't see that as enough to get TBS to renew. They would rather put reality stuff on TBS and they could easily shrink adult swim by an hour (they've done it in the past) or run one of the other shows.

Funny enough, just today there's a Deadline interview with Michael Ouweleen about how AS is going to expand by an hour beginning in May, and how he's been working to convince the new WBD management "Yes, animated programming takes longer to make, but it can be rerun forever." If TBS wants out of the original programming game entirely, I could see AD getting shuffled around in the T-net production hierarchy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh.

THEN WHY DID YOU BURY FINAL SPACE YOU MASSIVE ASSHOLES.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Yup, nothing gets unceremoniously canceled on Adult Swim

or bought for an additional season, and then canceled.

or canceled, and then allowed to release a wrap-up movie/episode years later without any advertising, giving it no chance of renewed interest

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the other hand, ATHF is getting new episodes after the movie so anything's possible.

Except for Final Space since it's owned by the goddamn IRS now and can never ever be revisited.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

bull3964 posted:

In the other hand, ATHF is getting new episodes after the movie so anything's possible.

Except for Final Space since it's owned by the goddamn IRS now and can never ever be revisited.

Wasn't System Shock also locked away for a long long time and now I think someone owns it with the remakes. We are talking games and shows just feels very similar and hopeless, but someone did come along!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Final Space was a tax write-off. There's no avenue back from that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bull3964 posted:

I didn’t know that. That’s good to hear since I liked the new movie.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Fuuuuuuuuuuck I fell asleep before the episode started and woke up just after the episode ended :cry: gently caress my uterus, drat it to hell

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mattfl posted:

This was the start of season 20, or 19 depending on where you are looking. Def not 18 though.

Everything is calling it 18.1

Maybe you're thinking of a season that got split up and treated two separate seasons?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

wikipedia and the pirate scene are calling it 20.

No I have no idea how they count it oh god this derail again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bull3964 posted:

Technically stuff that's been turned into a Tax Write Off can be bought back so it can be used again, or at least that's my understanding of the concept

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck I fell asleep before the episode started and woke up just after the episode ended :cry: gently caress my uterus, drat it to hell

It’s on the TBS website for free if you want to watch it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't smoke any stuff... except fools that step to me!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

drrockso20 posted:

Technically stuff that's been turned into a Tax Write Off can be bought back so it can be used again, or at least that's my understanding of the concept

I have literally never seen that happen. Once a show gets written off that is it.

System shock just had serious rights fuckery, like part of it was owned by an insurance company which obviously had no interest in a video game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kwyndig posted:

I have literally never seen that happen. Once a show gets written off that is it.

System shock just had serious rights fuckery, like part of it was owned by an insurance company which obviously had no interest in a video game.

Like I said I'm pretty sure it's possible, didn't say anyone had ever bothered to do so

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s on the TBS website for free if you want to watch it.

I actually just saw that it's on my OnDemand too (I only had to wait a day, lol), but MLB season has started and now I'm occupied

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My rewatch has progressed to season 3 and I had forgotten all about this.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My rewatch has progressed to season 3 and I had forgotten all about this.

lol

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
LOL at Roger getting the shapeshifting alien caught by the CIA. It reminds me of the episode where he gets Jamal sent to hell after the devil teaches him how to play guitar.

muscles like this! posted:

All these people are just Roger characters.

That was my thought too, or other Roger-species aliens that crashed before him.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

muscles like this! posted:

All these people are just Roger characters.
We've heard Grandma Mackadoo referenced in the past at some point.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay I was looking ahead at some up coming episodes and check out this one that's coming out on April 17th (spoilered just in case):

The Pleasanting At Smith House: Klaus and Jeff’s friendship is threatened by Klaus’s girlfriend from another realm.

I can already tell this is gonna be another banger episode for Fish and the Jeff Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Wait does this mean bullock is like, 100 years old