Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

im_sorry posted:

Also, when I'm listening to music for an extended period of time, I listen to full albums, goddammit! Albums are supposed to be started at track 1 and then played in order. I started with records and cassettes, and listening to songs out of order feels wrong.

1000%. I make play lists for Halloween when I hand out candy but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I do discovery/commuting listening on spotify/youtube and buy albums I like on bandcamp for lossless playback on my raspberry PI w/ a nice dac and headphones/amp.

I dont want to start collection physical media. As cool as vinyl is, I dont have the space for it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

im_sorry posted:

Also, when I'm listening to music for an extended period of time, I listen to full albums, goddammit! Albums are supposed to be started at track 1 and then played in order. I started with records and cassettes, and listening to songs out of order feels wrong.

Huge same.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I Agree with albums as a thing you do start to finish although as an art form not many bands actually make pieces you need to listen to front to back.

unfortunately the current trend is a dripfeed of releases from an album - either one song a week/month to promote the launch of the album later on or just a constant stream of singles to stay relevant and hit peoples release radars on Spotify.

its an effective marketing tool and definitely helps get people to shows (my band does it all the time for this reason) but it doesnt really lend itself to a concept album format.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Just got tickets to see Elder / Ruby the Hatchet / Howling Giant in San Francisco's Great American Music Hall on May 16th. Now to decide if I also want to make the trek to Sacremento two days later to see them all again...

Activia
Apr 13, 2022

Goal: some kind of neat moth

thiccabod posted:

Just got tickets to see Elder / Ruby the Hatchet / Howling Giant in San Francisco's Great American Music Hall on May 16th. Now to decide if I also want to make the trek to Sacremento two days later to see them all again...

Oh rad! I hadn’t noticed that tour, definitely a must see

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I've been grooving on Electric Wizard recently, specifically Dopethrone - the whole album but especially Funeralopolis- and Torquemada 71. Any recommendations for artists or tracks like those?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Oh yeah, check out this recording of Supercoven if you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4moXaSp9bY

It has some live tracks at the end, great stuff

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm a little gutted that Mario Lalli isn't with Yawning Man anymore for their latest record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZVzUCEG9qY

But he's doing cool stuff with Fatso Jetson again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abUHHfboP3w

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Maybe not a perfect fit for the thread but the Pigs 7x and Richard Dawson show was such a cool bill

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P_lMZUFFVk

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Went to see Bongzilla at a fairly small venue last night and it was insanely loud - saw people without earplugs leave early. They are ten times better live.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Hell yeah Bongzilla own. And a timely reminder to everyone to please buy and use ear pro.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
It's cool that they're releasing another LP soon too. Good to see em back in action after their hiatus. I've seen them live like dozens of times, sometimes they can be a bit too stoned (if that's even possible), but most of the time it's groovy poo poo. Always an experience, to say the least.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

I use hearing protection at every show I go to and I bring extra for others and it usually comes in handy. I unfortunately use the foam ones that make everything sound like mud. What are those etymotics or whatever name that goons recommend that make everything not mud?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Etymotics are great until they aren’t. My tinnitus took a beating with them at a Boris show and I’m not going back. If I pushed those things any deeper into my skull I would have had brain damage. I have enough hearing damage as it is so I’ve just accepted that foam is my fate and that’s ok.

E- it not like any particular band is that much louder than another necessarily, it was really that one time that Boris went completely over the top but you never know when a band is going to do that.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 10, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I recently tried most of the big names as my ER-20XS ripped after 7 years. I've tried:

Etymotic ER-20 (alpine brand use this design now from what I've seen)
Etymotic ER-20XS

Earasers musician (5db nrr)

Eargasm pro or hd or whatever.

Happy ears

DBs

ER-20/XS are the best sounding to me but my three sets of etymotics I have owned have lasted me a collective 15yrs and I only just bought the third set last month. Maybe I'm just used to that sound now? I did back to back comparisons at a concert recently with all of the above and still settled on the ER-20XS. The XS don't go quite as deep as the others (and there's no harm in doing so either, although their headphones get uncomfortable at the correct depth.) I salvaged my trashed set with some comply foam tips I had in a drawer that fit the stem of the filter and they're better for long periods like band rehearsal where they're in for 3 hours.

I wear them any time I'm rehearsing/gigging with my band and at concerts. I sometimess take them to loud bars or clubs just so it's easier to hear conversations.

Of all those ones I would strongly avoid happy ears (too small and easy to lose both in and out of your ear) and the eargasms for the same reason - too hard to get them out and the sound sucks.

Earasers are a really good quality product but I need the European spec (16db nrr). The 5db rated ones let thru a bit too much noise along with the mix. They might suit me better for stage where I find it's hard to hear myself with the ER-20XS. Not easy to fit and my ears are different enough that I realistically need an L for my right ear and an M for left.

DBs are kinda neat in that they have a open/closed function that changes the protection rating supposedly to make talking easier at mid-volume events but the sound quality kinda sucks in both modes and the protection wasn't great enough.

Do not expect any of them to totally be the same sound but lower volume. They all gently caress with the EQ a bit. I just find the etymotic colouring of the mix to be the most enjoyable. If I had to compare to headphones, etymotics sound a little scooped whereas the Earasers were flatter but more harsh.

E: I'm a 37 yr old and my recent hearing test came back as slightly above average for my age, however my right ear is slightly worse than my left (probably because I drove a 1997 Nissan 180sx with a straight pipe and the windows down for a decade without hearing protection.)

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 10, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have had good experiences with the Etymotic ER20 seeing plenty of notoriously loud bands. I still have occasionally walked out with some ringing in my ears: Yob/Pallbearer and Sunn O))) both left me a little fuzzy. I don't know if it's so much down to sheer volume as the peculiarities of the acoustics standing at a given spot in a given venue, not seating the buds consistently, taking them out briefly for some reason, etc. I do find they get a little irritating if you wear them for a long time, but I generally like the sound you get with them. Definitely way above the foam ones you get from the bar both in terms of clarity and volume reduction.

e: I don't go clubbing much these days but I'm also the nerd you see wearing earplugs there. I was in Berlin last year and was very happy to have them, those club sound systems don't mess about either and you're typically exposed to them for far longer than at a concert.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 10, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I usually post a pretty glowing review of the ER20 line, but that's been done so I'll just echo all those points. They were not enough for me at Bell Witch and Red Fang, so I used 3M foamies. They were just fine at King Buffalo, All Them Witches, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

I always carry the ER20X plus some backup foamies to shows in case I need to switch out or if someone forgot theirs.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

there is a new Acid King album which is good

I stopped in the local shop to pick up Majesties and I saw this in the new releases and flipped the gently caress out. For some reason I thought they broke up long ago. Busse Woods is one of my favorite albums. This new one is loving rad and I love it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Philthy posted:

I stopped in the local shop to pick up Majesties and I saw this in the new releases and flipped the gently caress out. For some reason I thought they broke up long ago. Busse Woods is one of my favorite albums. This new one is loving rad and I love it.

they put out an album in 2015 also if you missed that - middle of nowhere, center of everywhere. it's pretty good but i think beyond vision is better.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Much appreciated goons on the foamies. I’ve seen the various posts for years and just stuck with the osha Rollie pollies and I want to try out them fancy things. UNFORTUNATELY BANDS DONT BE COMIN TO FLORIDA ALL THAT MUCH.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I always carry the ER20X plus some backup foamies to shows in case I need to switch out or if someone forgot theirs.

This is a good approach, maybe I’ll give the etymotics another chance as long as I have a foam safety net handy

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Philthy posted:

I only realised because of a bandcamp notification that I assumed was a live album / rerelease, but chanced a look and was pleasantly surprised.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah! I'll have to check out the stuff I've missed out on...!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWhLh_MO1-o
Looprider - Metamorphose

Bandcamp description posted:

Recorded in 2021 and 2022, Metamorphose reimagines the band’s core influences and combines them in a multi-faceted prism, showcasing different sides of the Looprider sound in an eight-track package. The album features the heavy, grunge anthem “Red,” which was part of Adult Swim’s Japan Is Loud compilation, released last year and featuring other prominent acts from the Japanese underground, including Boris, Melt-Banana, DMBQ and Otoboke Beaver. Other tracks include the psychedelic, slow-burner “Nightfall,” the drone metal dirge “After The Flood,” and the shoegaze ballad “Mermaid. The album continues to showcase the group’s now-signature bass-less, three-piece instrumentation of drums and dual, tuned-down baritone guitars, powered by stacks of Orange and Hiwatt amplifiers.
Love how the tracks are different but still fit together well on the album as a whole.
e: the last 50 seconds of "Red" is, like, peak metal for me

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 17, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

going to see Boris in 2 weeks, can't wait :letsgo:

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Just less than 3 here, I'm excited and ready to buy some expensive merch

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

New Bell Witch is incredible. I might like it more than Mirror Reaper.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Head's up you can get all the Southern Lord issued Earth albums for a buck a pop on Bandcamp

https://twitter.com/onlineandnice/status/1649781536890273794

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Hex is incredible

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Happy Earth Day

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

sporklift posted:

Happy Earth Day

That is their best album.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I saw CHILD last night and hoo boy what a fuckin experience.

The only things mic'd up were the vocals and drums. Just a full Marshall stack and a fender super bass on an ampeg 810 pumping out pure tones at huge volume. Everything was mixed well and it was monstrously heavy and intimate in a room of about 50 people.

Absolutely one of the best heavy bands getting around this stupid country. I am sad for you guys elsewhere on earth who don't get access to our little collection of stoner bands.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

New DOZER apparently. They've always been great imo. Also, Kongh. Shame they quit for whatever reason.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Snapes N Snapes posted:

New DOZER apparently. They've always been great imo. Also, Kongh. Shame they quit for whatever reason.

sweet

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Eat The Rich posted:

New Bell Witch is incredible. I might like it more than Mirror Reaper.

Popped in to see if anyone else was talking about this album.

It's very very loving good, especially the climax of the song at 44 minutes in. Just wow.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am going to see Dr. Colossus tonight, hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZukrAFgq5FQ

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Bell Witch is touring with Spirit Posession. The show here is on a Friday night and could totally be in my wheelhouse, but I am torn. I really dig Bell Witch albums when I'm working or at home in a vibe and want something super gloomy and droney, but I fear that live it would be pretty much watching black paint dry in a low lit room.

Anyone seen them live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They’re kind of boring live but that’s also how I feel about them on record and also maybe about funeral doom as a whole.