Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

How it all started: I work in a large tech company in Silicon Valley so luckily my worksite provides food, gym and a shower. The biggest drawback was my commute and gas. I remember my first month spending $500 on gas alone on top of over 40 hours of commuting for that month. So I decided to take my money and the time I could have spent sleeping back. A year later here I am. I thank car camping for enabling me to save on resources and for being that first step of developing a minimalist mindset.

I park near my worksite from Sunday evening to Thursday followed by going home Fridays and typically fill up 2-3 times a month. Some weekends I won’t even go home but rather spend that time exploring places within distance due to saving on fuel/wear and tear. I’ve also gotten to a point where I know where I will park that night. Residential areas, in-door parking lots and with a little common sense, down the street from my work site. I know this is only temporary but I am truly appreciative for these lessons.

The biggest thing is just making it work for you. If you don’t have the same luxury as I do, dedicate some planning to ensure things like the laundromat, gym, and food situation is within close proximity. (To save the most money and make things convenient) Reset your interior and keep things sectioned off. Also prepare for each season weather-wise as well as a solution for mosquitos/bugs slipping through your cracked windows. (I learned the hard way one time) As for me, I will continue doing this for as long as I can. Feel free to ask any questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Well, your life might be nightmarish but at least it's being lived by someone who's drank the Kool Aid of a terrible employment sector.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
hell yea

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
condolences

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

That's bleak

Are the windows totally blacked out? Is there no way people can see you in there?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Your car looks like evil like that crazy rear end Japanese movie where they're trapped in a claustrophobic hell

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

If you don’t have the same luxury as I do

:catstare:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What happens when you need to bring someone home

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
No problem, it's a sedan

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i started out like this and now i own 8 cars and rent them out and don’t even have to work anymore

us carlords get a bad rap but i say don’t hate the player hate the game

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 6, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Is this job allowing you to retire in 5 years or something, because this kinda sucks long term.

Or looking for another job.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Wee posted:

Is this job allowing you to retire in 5 years or something, because this kinda sucks long term.

Or looking for another job.

He works in tech in a large silicon valley company which means that he is underpaid yet does unpaid overtime coding new ways of either fracking the cerebrospinal fluid of adorable kittens directly from their twitching bodies, or else reinventing something that currently exists only worse, with overengineered tech/internet connectivity, and ongoing micropayments.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Breetai posted:

He works in tech in a large silicon valley company which means that he is underpaid yet does unpaid overtime coding new ways of either fracking the cerebrospinal fluid of adorable kittens directly from their twitching bodies, or else reinventing something that currently exists only worse, with overengineered tech/internet connectivity, and ongoing micropayments.

did a techbro gently caress your wife or something

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
OK but where are the pics of your big rear end that you promised us?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sounds like the man is really sticking it to you OP. Got to flip that poo poo around IMO.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

have you considered getting a better job

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So your solution to a long commute was to become homeless instead of demand a hybrid schedule.

Lol.

At average highway speed your commute is like 240 miles.... drat.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

guy who lives in his car:

Vim Fuego posted:

If you don’t have the same luxury as I do,

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Get a van, weirdo.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It's nice to see the little guy winning in capitalism every now and then.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What do you mean by "home" OP? Do you live with your parents or do you have a place that you're paying for but hardly living in?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Spazzle posted:

Get a van, weirdo.

Op: "My name's Matt Foley. I'm 35 years old, I am divorced, and I live in a VAN. DOWN. BY. THE. RIVER."

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

So your solution to a long commute was to become homeless instead of demand a hybrid schedule.

Lol.

At average highway speed your commute is like 240 miles.... drat.

You can’t move fast and break things from home, Sam. If you want to shift paradigms you need to be able to leverage face time.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Where do you put your record collection, op?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i kinda like it. i don't think it's that depressing. being stuck in a multistorey building living alone is just as depressing, only difference is you have enough privacy to not think about it.

not as a necessity because the work commute is so long and expensive though. i'd park out in nature.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Jesus christ just sell drugs or something you loving lunatic

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
i clicked on this thread expecting fat dump truck asses, not your Stockholm syndrome homeless flex.

also, giant lmfao that your super awesome bay area tech employer will literally provide you with everything but a location-appropriate wage.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

OK but where are the pics of your big rear end that you promised us?

Was expecting this too. :one:

Edit: I hope you find a better job soon, OP.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

roomtone posted:

i kinda like it. i don't think it's that depressing. being stuck in a multistorey building living alone is just as depressing,

lmao

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Stuffed in the back of my WRX

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Why even go back to your car? Just sleep under your desk

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Vegetable posted:

What happens when you need to bring someone home

I doubt this is an issue that will come up

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Whoa

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

did a techbro gently caress your wife or something

what a post. wow.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Yo it's a body in the trunk, son -- so what's it gon' be?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

roomtone posted:

i kinda like it. i don't think it's that depressing. being stuck in a multistorey building living alone is just as depressing, only difference is you have enough privacy to not think about it.
lol no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Your car looks like evil like that crazy rear end Japanese movie where they're trapped in a claustrophobic hell

Initial D epressing