Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mega Comrade posted:

If you really hate lightroom and post editing then consider a Fujifilm. They have pretty fantastic in camera styles and make great jpegs out of the camera.

As they are aps-c you won't be able to push the iso as high as a full frame like a z6 but still be a big jump from your current camera. Lots of Fuji xt3s floating around for £600.

I had an x-e3. Gorgeous camera and great lenses but I found the interface absolutely baffling. It not only prevented me from using the camera how I wanted to but it stopped me from using it much at all.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

yeah, same here. I have been a Nikon shooter for 30 years but I was "Canon-curious" from time to time. The Sonys were fun I hated their nerdy menus and I felt the camera UI was getting in my way all the time. I never learned to like the ergonomics of the thumb wheel on the back on the Canon bodies. The topside dials and mode selector operation on the Nikon pro bodies have been unchanged since the mid early 90s and it just works better for me.

100% but I experimented with Fuji not Canon. I think that not only is the Nikon interface more familiar to me, but I think just on balance. It’s a very well designed and intuitive interface, even for someone who is unfamiliar with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Didn't realize Amazon were closing DPReview. It was my go-to website for new lenses and bodies when I was starting out, but haven't visited it for a while now.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/21/23650286/amazon-dpreview-camera-site-shutdown-layoffs

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Truths about corporate climate change

One point to add, though - Canon's the only big camera company with an active climate change denier on their research staff. There may be no such thing as ethical climate consumption under capitalism but at least my unethical consumption can do a little less harm. A non-Canon would definitely feel better in my hands, as it were.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a Fuji to demo - I'm mostly concerned on high-ISO performance and total cost of entry. I can live with just one decent wide-angle zoom and maybe a tele, but after seeing some of the noise at ISO 800 that my T3 has kicked up, I'm definitely getting out of this one for sure. If nothing else I like being able to use existing SD cards.

Would I be better served with a D750? I can live with 6-7ish burst frames as long as it's a decent high-ISO performer.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have a D750 and a Z30. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a D750 for someone on a budget, it is a bargain buy on the used market. Good low light performance (both high ISO and focus performance is very decent), and the ergonomics are good. The buffer on the D750 is not bottomless, so I've switched to jpeg only for BIF photos, but that's a personal preference.

There's also a healthy second-hand market for F-mount lenses, a lot of the older AF-D primes are excellent (but won't focus on the FTZ if you switch to Z later, be aware of this), and are often quite cheap. E.g.: I snagged an 85mm f/1.4D for $350 last fall.

D750 + 70-300 AF-P, cropped a bit:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
You can get some very nice used F mount glass for cheap now. It will only get cheaper over the next year.

The Z mount equivalents, if they exist, will be pricey for years to come. Also, at the rate Nikon is releasing Z bodies you can wait 5-6 years to switch and you may not miss much. Nikon Rumors says Nikon isn’t replacing the Z6 ii or Z7 ii this year, which is wild. The Z6 ii was arguably dated when it was first released.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The rumours suggest Nikon just can't make them. The Z8 has been ready a while but held back for parts and releasing a z6/7iii would cause supply issues.
I still say its crazy they don't have a D7xxx /D500 replacement in the Z yet either.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

D610 or D600 would also be fine choices in the DSLR range wouldn't they? Granted they don't have near as nice specs as the D750, but still a massive upgrade over an entry range model.
Or see if you can find a D500 if you don't need the full frame format, it has significantly better burst speeds and ISO performance, and from a quick search seems to go for less than a D750.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Yeah. D600/D610 is basically the same output as the D750. It’s what I shot for years and the pics still look great 8-9 years later. D600 was the first “affordable” full frame from Nikon. The autofocus is underwhelming, but it’s a great camera otherwise.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Mega Comrade posted:

The rumours suggest Nikon just can't make them. The Z8 has been ready a while but held back for parts and releasing a z6/7iii would cause supply issues.
I still say its crazy they don't have a D7xxx /D500 replacement in the Z yet either.

The parts shortage is wild, but it feels like it is impacting Fuji and Nikon more than Sony and Canon. Is that just a result of bigger companies having more purchasing power?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Brrrmph posted:

The parts shortage is wild, but it feels like it is impacting Fuji and Nikon more than Sony and Canon. Is that just a result of bigger companies having more purchasing power?

Sony and Canon both have their own substantial lines of semiconductor products which probably gives them certain advantages and workarounds. Nikon and Fuji less so, if at all. Although Fuji makes chemicals used in semiconductor manufacturing.

Interesting to consider just how brittle these supply lines are. Let's just hope China doesn't invade Taiwan anytime soon...

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Curious if anyone has any opinions on differences between the F4, F5, and F6. Is there anything that really makes the F6 worth 3x the F5? I like the idea of being able to get a film slr that can use everything I already have for my DSLR

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I haven't used the F4 or 6, but the F5 is a giant loving camera, quite possibly the largest and heaviest 35mm I've ever used.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

big black turnout posted:

Curious if anyone has any opinions on differences between the F4, F5, and F6. Is there anything that really makes the F6 worth 3x the F5? I like the idea of being able to get a film slr that can use everything I already have for my DSLR

The F6 can do color matrix metering with AIS and pre-AI manual lenses if you input them into the camera via the control back, whereas the F5 only does center weighted and spot metering with all manual lenses. The F4 can do color matrix metering with AI and AIS lenses but not pre-AI, and cannot control the aperture with G type lenses. Both the F5 and F6 can shoot with all Nikon lenses up until the G type lenses (save for unmodified pre-AI lenses).

You can build up the F4 and F6 into bigger builds with the vertical grip, while the F5 is really huge with the integrated vertical grip. Is the premium for the F6 worth it over the F5? I don’t particularly think so unless you really need a smaller build. I wouldn’t grab an F4 just because its autofocus and metering are so limited.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

But none of them work with F-mount “E” lenses, right? The ones with electronic aperture control?

The 5 definitely doesn’t. Don’t know for sure about the 6. Would be nice to rock the 200-500/5.6 on a film camera though.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Looks like basically they can only be shot wide open even on the 6, yeah. I think that 200-500 is the only E I have

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

But none of them work with F-mount “E” lenses, right? The ones with electronic aperture control?

The 5 definitely doesn’t. Don’t know for sure about the 6. Would be nice to rock the 200-500/5.6 on a film camera though.

Yup, none of the film cameras work with the E type lenses.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Well gently caress it I pulled the trigger on the F5 because I'm having a bad day and making rash decisions

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Well gently caress it I pulled the trigger on the F5 because I'm having a bad day and making rash decisions

Good luck. That’s a big loving camera.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Too late for bbt, but how does the F100 compare to the F4/F5?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Too late for bbt, but how does the F100 compare to the F4/F5?

The F100 is basically an F5 without the integrated grip.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

VoodooXT posted:

The F100 is basically an F5 without the integrated grip.

The F100 is also basically a D1 without the CCD.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I shot an F100 for a few years. Pretty rad camera. If F5 is similar you’re in for some magic.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I just bought another F4 last year and am happy as a clam. It has some irreplaceable proprietary part that's failing as the decades wear on though, but for all I know so does the F5.

But until it dies I will shoot while i have the sun

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Adding that the F100 is a great camera and I miss mine despite being over film.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
The F100 had another wildly nerdy feature; it remembered the exposure settings from the last few rolls you shot. Kind of like EXIF data, same idea. Date, time, EV, exposure mode, exposure data, focus mode, etc.

You could download the data over the 10-pin with a serial cable to your PC, and there was an ultra-specific and very temperamental Nikon software for that.

I used Kodak's photoCD service for scanning my negatives, an expensive but pretty high-quality proposition back then. The CD-roms were gold-colored and multi-session and could fit 100 pictures at 6 megapixel resolution in PCD format which was pretty good at the time even though the actual negative scan quality varied over the years. You could send in partially full discs with your negatives and Kodak would fill them to the brim before starting new discs, and you saved a little that way. At the end of my film period I think I had about 160 photoCDs. I've since turned them all into DNGs.

I got a D1 not long after the F100, but it was only 2 megapixels and APS-C so I kept shooting film for a while. Eventually photoCD was discontinued or turned into some garbage JPEG successor format so switched to using my own Minolta film scanner at that point. I kept my F100 up until I finally sold every camera, scanner and film related accessory I had to finance a D3.

Anyway, back in 1999 I created a crude perl script with imagemagick that could make printable contact sheets with the exposure data from the F100 showing next to the thumbnails. I then kept those sheets with my cut negative strips in binders. Somehow life was slower in the late 90s and early 2000s, you could take the time to do things like that. I've never found time since to attach my old F100 exposure data to the converted PhotoCD DNGs. Not really that interesting I guess.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
In a somewhat similar vein, I picked up the MF 28 back for the F5, and one of its options is to print shutter speed and aperture in between frames

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

In a somewhat similar vein, I picked up the MF 28 back for the F5, and one of its options is to print shutter speed and aperture in between frames

This is very cool. I have Minolta backs that did this as well.

I put wacky new lenses(non-E) on my F5 and they all work including IS.

F6 is cool but there's a buyers premium on them so they are artificially higher due to demand and supply vs F5. They are not -that- much better than F5 if you go by market price.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 28, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Anyone preordering a Z8 before it’s officially revealed?

Anyone even shoot Nikon anymore? I never see one out in the wild and when I do it’s still a DSLR.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I make a living with a Z9.

That being said it seems the Z8 is a Z9 lite, so there’s no appeal for me. Had it been a higher res body I might’ve nabbed one.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
The Z9 is absurdly good and I always have it with me. Found a nice everyday carry thinkTank "UrbanDisguise" laptop bag that can fit the Z9 with some lenses. It's perfectly adequate for my mostly docu stills and B-roll video needs and very likely the last proper camera I buy unless I break it or it gets stolen.

I'd consider the Z8 in that case just because I use the Z9 portrait grip rarely.
Or if the Z10 comes out and has like 100 megapixels, I'd get that instead.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah I have a z7ii as a backup body with me on every shoot, and yes if they eventually do a high res z10 (lol at thinking 46mp is no longer high res, what a world), I’ll grab one.

That being said, if Fuji GFX continues to be impressive and has a body with a grip at 100mp and $10k (likely next year), I’ll probably move to a two system setup.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

Yeah I have a z7ii as a backup body with me on every shoot, and yes if they eventually do a high res z10 (lol at thinking 46mp is no longer high res, what a world), I’ll grab one.

That being said, if Fuji GFX continues to be impressive and has a body with a grip at 100mp and $10k (likely next year), I’ll probably move to a two system setup.

What resolution is enough? Why wound you ever need 100mp? I case you want to zoom
in on an image?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

therattle posted:

What resolution is enough? Why wound you ever need 100mp? I case you want to zoom
in on an image?

100 mpx (or hell even 46mpx) is very rarely needed for the final product, but it gives you creative headroom for perspective correction and substantial cropping where you still have not compromised on details in a 4K export afterwards.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Pretty much exactly. It allows for cropping freedom after the fact.

So if I’m shooting a cookbook, and the designer decides they actually want to fill the page with the dish rather than the set table scene we made, it can be ‘sure’ and not ‘sorry, won’t be enough data’

The other side effect is higher res sensors seem to go hand in hand with more dynamic range which is always welcome.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I went from 16mp D4s to 45mp D8500 because I did product photography and I wanted to be able to read fine labels and text on the products. For people, no. Unless you want to see individual hairs on a huge wall print.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/04/28/red-patent-lawsuit-against-nikon-dismissed/

Red patent lawsuit against Nikon Z9 raw video recording dismissed. Apparently mutual dismissal although it doesn't seem like Nikon gave up anything except maybe a behind closed doors secret settlement.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

Anyone even shoot Nikon anymore? I never see one out in the wild and when I do it’s still a DSLR.

Nowadays I do most of my video stuff on Fuji, and stills stuff on Nikon Z, but I might have to commit to just one some day.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Thinking about it. I love my Z9 - I use it for video work and personal things - but it’s pretty hefty.

Just want a diet Z9, which is what the 8 is :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m too addicted to the Z9 battery life to go to a smaller cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I've wondered about that. My D5 gets 3,000+ shots per charge. That's 10X most Nikon mirrorless bodies and I forget to charge enough that its saved me more than once.