Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Rexxed posted:

Full patch notes are up for tomorrow when Fortification is going in:
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/fortification-update

All PC servers will be offline for the following update on Wednesday, May 17, at 6:00am PT (3:00pm CET). The downtime for this update is expected to last up to 2 hours.

Since the notes are long I'll bullet point it
PS1 was released May 20, 2003 so this is the 20 year anniversary of the franchise.

PS Planetside Soundtracks will be up on streaming services on May 20th.

Double XP for all May 17-20

20 year Legacy Event Directive May 17-June 4 (bunch of objectives, rewards the NS-D Helios heavy weapon)

NS-D Helios weapon

20-Year Legacy Bundle (2999 DBC)

Construction Overhaul
Modules
New Construction Objects
Reworks and Removals
Misc. Construction Polish and More

Oshur base revamps

Vehicle Adjustments
Vehicle Despawn Timers

Player Studio

Misc. Changes, Fixes, and Additions

Anyway click through for details on most of that, I do like to post full patch notes but they're long.

Its a small thing, but floodlights illuminating cloakers seems fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
New patch changes up all the HUD and map colors to be wicked confusing with allies showing up as empire colors on the HUD and blue/red on the map

Definitely worth going into settings to rejigger

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I started the new tutorial, got my Cortium, made the node pop, drove forward, and another player's node appeared insta-killing my ANT. After that I redid that part of the new tutorial, this time avoiding the insta-death Cortium node appearances, drove for kilometers and kilometers looking for any space to put up my own Cortium Silo, and finally got killed by an NC Lightning just as I found an opening.

The whole map is covered with Cortium Siloes right now. It's kind of funny.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

New patch changes up all the HUD and map colors to be wicked confusing with allies showing up as empire colors on the HUD and blue/red on the map

Definitely worth going into settings to rejigger

ain't gonna lie, one reason I'm NC is because "You are blue, shoot non blue" is a lot easier to remember when I'm running around in fear and confusion doing the SUPPRESSIVE FIRE meme from archer.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 17, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I set friendly to blue and enemy to red so this will be confusing until they fix it, I guess. Meanwhile they removed some construction items I (and others) bought for DBC and according to reddit they give certs to the character that was logged in when you purchased the item as a refund. That's not really going to work. Good thing I pointed it out during the PTS patch notes so they had plenty of time to figure it out from their end before the patch, but just... didn't.

edit: one of the dev team posted in the reddit thread that they're looking into it and will make sure all characters get compensated after they fix it, although they seem to still be suggesting it will just be certs returned instead of DBC. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 17, 2023

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I set friendly to blue and enemy to red so this will be confusing until they fix it, I guess. Meanwhile they removed some construction items I (and others) bought for DBC and according to reddit they give certs to the character that was logged in when you purchased the item as a refund. That's not really going to work. Good thing I pointed it out during the PTS patch notes so they had plenty of time to figure it out from their end before the patch, but just... didn't.

edit: one of the dev team posted in the reddit thread that they're looking into it and will make sure all characters get compensated after they fix it, although they seem to still be suggesting it will just be certs returned instead of DBC. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Yea that whole refunding certs for DBC purchases is some bullshit

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
lmao as if certs aren't useless to 80% of the remaining playerbase all these years later

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

zeldadude posted:

lmao as if certs aren't useless to 80% of the remaining playerbase all these years later

Yeah I have like 30k on my NSO character since I've been playing him as a main char for so long. I guess the idea is you can put the certs directly towards new construction items, I just don't know why they wouldn't take the like, three things they removed and turn them into DBC unlocks of similar in the new system. It could even be dissimilar but they would have had to do it before release because now there will be people who have everything again so it's too late.

At least they didn't take away the cat ears helmets when they removed g1ngerboy's stuff from the store, just made them unavailable to buy.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So I guess the summary of the situation is that if you had construction items that are now gone, you got some certs. You got around 20K certs if you had everything (no idea how much per, maybe 5k?) which is enough to buy everything new available and then have around 10k left, so that's pretty good. The problem is that once you get your 20k certs the system considers you compensated so only one character is getting the payout. A dev has said once they sort out the problem they'll make sure everyone is compensated. Now of course cert unlocks aren't as good as DBG unlocks since they're account-wide, but this will cover a lot of us who have a ton of characters as long as each character gets a bunch of certs, I guess. Future characters will just be screwed most likely.

Anyway, the event seems to be pretty easy and I'm getting killed by the NS-D Helios already. The purchaseable one is the NS-D Helios EX and they're a heavy weapon so that seems cool.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I purchased the $30, 20 year legacy bundle, and received the items from both bundles (only one 6 month heroic boost). Not sure if that's something they'll roll back but I haven't seen anyone mention it on reddit. I wouldn't count on it if you're shopping, could be a bug. I did check my account history on the website and it only shows the 2699 purchase (10% membership discount).

One thing that sucks about the $50 bundle is that there's an Apex cosmetic variant of the faction ARs and they skipped NSO even though we have a faction AR now. I guess their modeler didn't want to improve on the majesty of the big white brick AR-100.

The new buildings look good and are nice to walk around in and use, but they have added quite a bit of fuss to construction by making modules something you have to buy and take and put into the buildings. Also the bases feel a bit weaker overall. I think that they feel alright to fight against but take a fair amount of effort to set up and defend so we'll see how this ends up. I like having a lot more buildings to lay out and it made attacking some bases on Oshur easier late night but I don't feel like I'd want to solo build a base without expectations of help for defending it.

It's worth doing the quick Training mission to get a few unlocks before buying anything construction related, and after you're done that mission and have the spawn tube and light vehicle pad sometimes they still show up as purchasable in the Depot so you just lose certs trying to buy them. Be careful!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Commander Cyrious did a video to sum up game changes over the last few years for returning players. He starts in about 2016 when construction was added since that's what this update also focuses on. I haven't watched the whole thing but it might help if you used to play and have been away for a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UL4qXTL8f4

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

The modules being something you need to physically install are a nice touch on an offense side because you can harass an enemy base by targeting the engineer building the base directly

What are good vehicle cert specs to chase? I'm in a good spot with infantry guns so shaking up my Lightning and Prowler game is the next step to breaking enemy armored columns

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The modules being something you need to physically install are a nice touch on an offense side because you can harass an enemy base by targeting the engineer building the base directly

What are good vehicle cert specs to chase? I'm in a good spot with infantry guns so shaking up my Lightning and Prowler game is the next step to breaking enemy armored columns

If you like shooting tanks with other tanks then reducing reload speed on your chosen gun is a great option. If you're in a Prowler unlocking the Vulcan with a dedicated gunner friend means you will win pretty much every 1v1 vehicle engagement.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It kind of depends what you like and what you're doing. The new Kingsnake guns on TR are very good if you can land all of the shots, and AP still has a place but Kingsnake has kind of edged it out for short to medium range fights. Kingsnake is also better against a variety of targets because while AP rounds are good against armor they have almost no splash and it can be harder to hit infantry with them. For the chassis I've always used Racer on faction tanks and it's been fine. I think if you're in an offensive group there's an argument to be made for the rampart projector to help absorb some hits from defenders at a base and help your team. If you're out brawling with other tanks you probably want Barrage since you can pop it to get 30% extra reload speed which can help win fights. Since I mostly play solo I go with Barrage. I generally prefer the fire suppression system to smoke. I figure if there's a lot of lockons I'm going to be driving away to get behind something to break the lock and fire suppression will help there.

General note about fire suppression is that when your vehicle becomes on fire (at 20% health IIRC) it slows down and gets a DoT that will cause it to burn out. If you use fire suppression while it's on fire it pushes you to 20% health and adds a short repair over time, which also removes the fire slowness and DoT effect. If you get put back on fire while the repair over time is active you don't get the slowness and DoT again. Since the cooldown is 45 seconds at max rank you can use it driving around to top yourself off on armor but if there's any activity nearby it's usually best to wait until your tank health goes red (and the warning sounds) and then pop it to get you back up to enough armor/hp to survive another shot.

General note about guns, there's like three main types that the tanks share. AP guns, HEAT guns, and HESH guns. Generally AP is for killing armor, HEAT can do armor but has some splash damage making it easier to hit infantry, and HESH kills infantry and has the biggest AOE damage. They all hurt everything but it's mostly a difference between impact damage and explosion damage where it scales from all impact and minimal explosion size on AP rounds to HESH which has a big explosion with most of its damage.

There's guns like the Skyguard for lightnings that shoot Flak and are okay but aren't as effective as they once were against aircraft (flak now does less damage at further range so Liberators will generally win if they hit your lightning a couple of times while you spam flak at them).

The lightning also has the C75 Viper which shoots 6 somewhat explodey rounds out. It can be the highest DPS for killing sunderers and other targets that don't move, and will kill some infantry but its strength is in hitting with all six rounds so it's not as effective for a moving battle against other armor since you have to get as many rounds on target as you can.

The new faction weapons are a bit different and added some versatility. VS got the Perihelion which charges up and releases a no drop series of blasts, similar to the lancer. NC got the JGX12 (Vanguard) and JGX11 (Lightning) which have a fairly steep drop when fired but do a ton of damage with armor damaging explosion when they hit. They're like an explosive anti-armor shotgun. Kingsnake is 4 somewhat explodey rounds for the Prowler and 2 for the Lightning. I think part of its strength is that it's a burst weapon so you're fairly likely to get most of the rounds on a target, unlike the C75. The gun elevation is also pretty good and I've had my aircraft shot down by Kingsnakes a few times and was often surprised they aimed up so high.

So you'd want to pick a gun, Kingsnake is a solid choice since it's new and pretty strong. Outfit it with optics as you want (I often just use the cheapest one unless I'm doing some long range sniping), mag size or reload speed, whichever is available (Kingsnake only has reload speed but I usually pick magazine size first if there's an option), and ammo capacity. The Mag size or reload speed are more important than ammo capacity since they help you win fights, but they also cost more to cert up. You don't have to max these out right away since they're expensive cert lines but you'll do it eventually when you're rolling in certs. Then get Barrage and Racer and Fire suppression leveled up. You get rank 1 fire suppression as a basic unlock now. Don't forget that the you can deploy the prowler for faster reload and less weapon drop as a passive ability now (it used to be something you had to cert up). It's good for sieging bases but makes you vulnerable.

For your secondary gun it's very situational. If I know I have a gunner I'll usually use something like the Halberd since it's strong against almost everything on the ground if you're good at aiming. If I'm solo or I know there's air, I use the Walker. The walker is technically an AA gun but it can totally kill stuff on the ground and machinegun down infantry, it just suffers in that it can't angle down past horizontal, so if there's a harasser driving around you and dipping down you may not be able to hit it too much.

The Basilisk and Palisade are good general choices as well since they can hurt everything. The Palisade is the new TR specific Basilisk version that has a spin up and high RPM, and it's pretty solid. Other options like the Gatekeeper are pretty strictly anti-armor. It used to be a lot better when it first came out. The Vulcan sounds cool but you have to get pretty close to be effective so I think it's better on a harasser than on a Prowler. The Marauder is good at killing infantry and okay against vehicles. The Kobalt is just a machinegun that's only good at killing infantry and maybe plinking at ESFs, it can't damage armor at all.

For lightings you can run Racer but beware they like to drift and slide sideways and roll if they hit bumps; once they flip you're pretty much screwed. I've found that letting off the accelerator for turns helps a lot of you're going fast on rough terrain. In general they get outfitted a lot like the main battle tanks. AP or Kingsnake for killing armor, Fire suppression, Stealth, and Racer are my choices.

For piloting a tank you want to run an Engineer with the Sweeper HUD implant. Your second implant is your choice but my main choices are Ammo Printer or Counter Intelligence. Target focus can be helpful to see enemy health as well. Ammo printer reloads you, CI spots whoever damages your tank (CI is an exceptional implant but comes in a bundle as a perfect option, perfect implants are just like the normal ones but unlocked for your whole account). I've seen people use Ransack as well to get ammo back but it requires kills to get ammo with and ammo printer is a constant refill over time. It's often good to have your engineer's weapon be able to damage vehicles when you have to get out, so something with an underbarrel grenade launcher is good, as are Anti Materiel Rifles. I use the Kuwa but anything works. I usually use either Flak armor or Mine carrier for my suit slot since I tend to drive with tank mines on my loadout so I can either block an avenue if I think someone's coming, drop them to potentially kill people who killed my vehicle, or just put some mines down by a vehicle pad at an enemy base I pass (put them in front of the pad, if you're too close to the pad itself they detonate as you place them). You can run kind of whatever you want in the engineer ability slot but I think the two best choices are the AV Mana turret or the spitfire auto-turret. The latter is good for if you're sitting around with your tank shooting at stuff from one location. You can leave it out to shoot at any infantry trying to sneak up and C4 you and it provides an audio alarm.

Here's why I like the Kuwa. Stuff like this happens all of the time but it doesn't always work out so well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkHGG839wnU

edit: I forgot to mention that most of the good tank players I see will learn to aim in third person as you can often get more gun depression or snap shots off while driving around obstacles more accurately. This can be hard as the client crosshair in third person is often very off for tank guns. There are third party crosshairs that help with this but I haven't used them myself. The best ones are plugins that run in the Recursion third party software which is allowed and still gets updates from time to time.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 19, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

New Prime gaming bundle up:
https://gaming.amazon.com/prime-deadeye-bundle/dp/amzn1.pg.item.a2b5c990-ccf7-4f1c-91f6-2c21b5568f1d

Also a new code 20YearsPlanetside but it gives the NSX-P Tengu which is also available in another code that's still active, so it just gives nothing if you have it unlocked as far as I can tell. Was hoping for a decal or something.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

The PMG-100 sights on the NSO SMG seem to be extremely cracked, with the rear sight way taking up the entire bottom half of the screen

https://imgur.com/a/tYSc4xM

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 20, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The PMG-100 sights on the NSO SMG seem to be extremely cracked, with the rear sight way taking up the entire bottom half of the screen

https://imgur.com/a/tYSc4xM

Wow, that's new! I mostly use the PMG-3XB because the automatic burst fire is good at killing people instantly in the head. I imagine it's a bug because it seems to do it with any scope on there as well. Glad I don't have to aurax that one for a while, I'm just finishing up the NS-66 Punisher tonight.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Is GOKU still active or if not, what outfit(s) are folks spending time with?

I haven't played in ~10 years but just sent in my join request in-game on VS/emerald under this name.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
If we're talking tank guns, do the PPCs for NSO Lightnings/Chimeras have a place? I've used them in long-distance anti-armor fights where trying to figure out elevation while also consistently moving is a huge pain. The glacial muzzle velocity is kind of a bummer, though.

(When you manage to hit a valk or gal that's hovering inappropriately though, it's p. hilarious)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zeris posted:

Is GOKU still active or if not, what outfit(s) are folks spending time with?

I haven't played in ~10 years but just sent in my join request in-game on VS/emerald under this name.

I see GOKU members playing now and then but I don't think it's active in general. There's a thread in PGS. I killed/was killed by GokuMcSexhaver over the weekend.

death cob for cutie posted:

If we're talking tank guns, do the PPCs for NSO Lightnings/Chimeras have a place? I've used them in long-distance anti-armor fights where trying to figure out elevation while also consistently moving is a huge pain. The glacial muzzle velocity is kind of a bummer, though.

(When you manage to hit a valk or gal that's hovering inappropriately though, it's p. hilarious)

Sniping is really their main use as far as I can tell. Like a lot of NSO stuff it's situational. I've noticed that the ability to puncture through armor can work to an advantage when attacking construction bases where if you shoot a turret or artillery piece you will also damage the thing behind it. For normal fights it's unusual to be able to line up enemy armor well enough to really puncture more than one thing. I took mine out against a huge TR armor zerg that VS was countering the other day and popped a few tanks from extremely far away, but it's hard to kill harassers or anything moving. It's also frustrating that if you hit a person directly they don't die since it does a flat 700 or 500 damage.

As a general FYI AV knives don't seem to damage base turrets since the patch. I think it was changed to prevent people from knifing their way through construction bases. So, to do the Masamune weapon eval I just bring a Hunter QCX (or cosmetic variant) with explosive bolts. You can do 6 shots with the crossbow and then 3 rocket shots or 9 with the crossbow and two with the launcher. The first way gives you just enough ammo to finish the mission with one resupply from an ammo printer implant and munitions pouch on your suit slot. You can also just take two trips.

The new Helios D weapon is interesting. It's primary fire is terrible, but hit B for secondary fire and it lobs an explosive firey ball. Similar to the thumper but with less range and more damage. It eats through its ammo but will quickly kill a bunch of guys on the other side of a door or around a corner if you land 2-3 shots. So it both sucks and is overpowered at the same time.

Here's a very short video of my first time using it and also I guess, what it's good at. First time I used it here I didn't realize the alt-fire uses 50 ammo and you have 150 in the mag. With extended mag you get 150 extra so you can shoot six shots before a reload but the gun only has 300 or 450 total ammo. So I died wondering why I couldn't shoot any more. Second clip was just me using it into a busy building and go figure I somehow killed four people. It's pretty broken but unlike the HLX crossbow with fracture bolts at least it can't fire 80 times without a reload.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IBylK1KhyM

The event to get the free Helios isn't too hard to finish up. Unlike a lot of the PS2 events they made the goals reachable for the most part. I think the easiest four to do are Focused Assault (kill people during alerts, I think the top level is 45 kills or something), Armored Conflict (kill or get kill assists on vehicles while in a vehicle, top level is 10 kills). Then the next ones will depend. Module Mastery is easy but a little tedious. It requires you to put 40 modules into buildings. So you can make a base, even the one for the Training Day: Harvest missions, and then go and replace the bunker equipment module with a repair module, then replace it with another equipment module, over and over to finish this one up (note that if you stop gaining XP from module insertions/replacements you need to go get another kind of XP and come back, I only had this happen a couple of times so I went to mine cortium and then finished it up). You can also put 100k cortium in a base for the Building Blocks mission but since the base has to be in contested territory and that's 10 loads of cortium it's a bit tedious.

Hot Drop requires transport assists. Many of my characters had it fully finished when they logged in for some reason. I guess maybe they count historic transport assist ribbons for it? Either way you have to let people out of a vehicle and stay in the driver seat while they earn kills. Helping hand is about doing repairs on construction and vehicles but it takes ribbons to earn so it's deceptively long. Foothold requires captures on construction bases so it's not that hard but it will depend on the continent you're on. Oshur has the most of these, it's 5 caps to complete.
Hold the Line is for capture point takeover and defenses (kills near it) but seems to be another one that takes ribbons so it can be long. Lastly the Apex Predator one is easy if you spend cash on the Apex weapons, but it's something like 25 kills so you certainly could just do a different one.

Since the event only requires you to finish four objectives, it's not too bad. I've completed it on like 5/9 characters and most of the rest just require killing people during an alert.

Here's all the tooltips in one image:

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 23, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Ate there any good Vanu outfits on Connery?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Goku's deader than disco but still there if that makes sense. PGS thread has a link to our discord, we announce ops there when we do them.

You can join a different outfit and we'll invite you for ops anyway.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Demilich posted:

Ate there any good Vanu outfits on Connery?

There's nothing good on Connery. Seriously though, I play on there a little bit but it feels like VS gets stomped regularly over there. I mostly see the big outfits with bad players like Cya9 doing ops and I think they're mostly an Asian outfit. It's baffling coming from Emerald seeing pubbies in yell chat on Connery saying VS has the worst weapons and is underpowered because they're always getting warpgated. I don't play on there enough to know who is decent.

There's been a lot of outfits moving from Connery to Emerald in the last couple of years since Emerald has become the busiest server. I did see a couple of continents open on Connery over the weekend, though, which is pretty unusual these days.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 23, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You know, let me retract that statement, I was on Connery tonight and VS was stomping everyone in an alert. I don't know what outfits are good, though, I'm clearly not on enough and remember stuff from months ago.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there a way to get base building parts to snap together? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get some airtight walls setup so people can't slip through the cracks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there a way to get base building parts to snap together? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get some airtight walls setup so people can't slip through the cracks.

No, it's freeform placement. They did improve the buildings in this patch to make it easier to butt them up against each other (less stuff sticking out underground) but it's still tough. In general you can get walls and buildings to be very close, but it can be hard to get the gaps super small, especially on buildings with sides that aren't flat. One old base building tip was to use light assault and fly up on your silo to look down to make it easier to align things. That might be easier now since while I use engineer to drive the ANT, I noticed you can put an inventory equipment module on the silo itself if you want to so it's easier to change classes. Also those modules aren't hackable by enemies. The old bunkers were a trap because they were huge and infiltrators would hack them to chain pull cortium bombs (the old ones).

It's often a pixel hunting game and what they didn't mention in the tutorial is that there's more controls than just rotate with the mouse buttons and hit E to place. You also can hold control to slow rotation, or hold both mouse buttons and then move your mouse down and up to make the building outline move closer or farther away (doesn't work on every building). Sometimes it's hard to stand somewhere where a wall will go down while you face it so you can angle it and then shuffle around a bit to tighten up the gap.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Rexxed posted:

No, it's freeform placement. They did improve the buildings in this patch to make it easier to butt them up against each other (less stuff sticking out underground) but it's still tough. In general you can get walls and buildings to be very close, but it can be hard to get the gaps super small, especially on buildings with sides that aren't flat. One old base building tip was to use light assault and fly up on your silo to look down to make it easier to align things. That might be easier now since while I use engineer to drive the ANT, I noticed you can put an inventory equipment module on the silo itself if you want to so it's easier to change classes. Also those modules aren't hackable by enemies. The old bunkers were a trap because they were huge and infiltrators would hack them to chain pull cortium bombs (the old ones).

It's often a pixel hunting game and what they didn't mention in the tutorial is that there's more controls than just rotate with the mouse buttons and hit E to place. You also can hold control to slow rotation, or hold both mouse buttons and then move your mouse down and up to make the building outline move closer or farther away (doesn't work on every building). Sometimes it's hard to stand somewhere where a wall will go down while you face it so you can angle it and then shuffle around a bit to tighten up the gap.

Most of the walls won't let me place them closer than like 15 meters, it kind of becomes impossible to tell at that range if the hologram is too far away or too close to me when I try to line up with another wall (especially if I need to change the elevation)

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

The VS infantry guns seem really good, just with a little low round velocity - I'm not actually sure what are the pro pickups for VS carbines, ARs, and LMGs since the starter ones do the job real good

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The VS infantry guns seem really good, just with a little low round velocity - I'm not actually sure what are the pro pickups for VS carbines, ARs, and LMGs since the starter ones do the job real good

Yeah, the starter ones are very good. For LMGs, the Orion is a beast and the auraxium directive weapon, the Betelgeuse, is based on it. Landing headshots will put anyone down. For other LMGs you've got a few good selections. Pulsar LSW is good, Maw is good with unstable ammunition at close to medium range. Polaris is alright although it was my least favorite to auraxium, and so is the Ursa and and SVA-88 (they're more for range). I did the Orion, Pulsar LSW, Maw, Polaris and Naginata for my 5 to aurax but in retrospect I'd probably have gone for NS-15M instead of the Polaris since I'm used to it from auraxing it a few times on other characters, but it was a couple of years back.

For carbines the Serpent is really good at close range high RPM killing. Pulsar C is very accurate for med to long range, Horizon has a cool mechanic where it spreads shots horizontally normally but if you ADS it goes vertically. I currently have the Pulsar and Horizon auraxed and need 300 kills or something with the Serpent. I'll probably finish up with the NS-11C and Tanto or something since I'm used to them, but the basic Solstice is really decent I just haven't used it much. The VX6-7 and Prominence are alright from what I've heard but I don't have much personal experience with them. I don't think they stand out for anything in particular but they're fine. I forgot about the Zenith which I actually have like 900 kills on. It's not as high DPS as some other carbines but it keeps the 0.75 movement while ADS modifier like most of the NS weapons so it's good if you're mobile. I have a lot of kills on it since I used it on some of my engineer loadouts before getting the ASP unlocks for other weapons. I will probably aurax it since I'm so close.

It may be worthwhile to trial the Solstice Burst if you think you might like it. I haven't used it much but I auraxed a burst carbine on NC and I'm liking the Trac-5 burst on TR. They used to have alt-fire modes for a lot of the guns to put them in single shot, 2x or 3x burst, or auto mode but a couple years back when they did the Arsenal patch and reworked the guns and attachments they made it basically auto or burst depending on your gun, and the burst fire carbines got Burst in their names. Essentially the burst fire is a way to put way more bullets into your opponent than they're firing back at you in full auto, if you can keep your trigger finger clicking fast enough while not jostling your mouse. I haven't had too much trouble with it on my G502 but it's a heavier mouse.

I'm not as up on the ARs on VS, but I think the H-V45 has always been popular for a high rate of fire close to medium weapon, Terminus is a solid all-around gun, Lacerta has the neat big burst that a round of faction ARs have (but with unstable ammo for big bullets), and the CME and Corvus are good but don't stand out as much for anything but being pretty accurate. I don't have much time on the latter two so maybe someone else loves them.

You didn't ask about SMGs but the Canis with unstable ammo is hilarious, especially on an infiltrator. You can just kind of point it in someone's general direction and melt them quickly.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 25, 2023

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Never thought I'd see the day someone called the VS guns good.

With that said, Rexxed made some good recommendations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed, I almost hate to ask, but...how many total kills do you have? Just on your VS main?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

Rexxed, I almost hate to ask, but...how many total kills do you have? Just on your VS main?

32K according to fisu:
https://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=rexxed&show=statistics

Last few years I've mainly been playing on my NSO but he's on VS now, too. 48k there but I just hit ASP 3 BR 100 so I'm trying to play NC and VS characters a bit more since they're ASP 2 BR 93 or 94.
https://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=wrackwither&show=statistics

As you can see, I'm not that great but I'm always trying to do better. It's hard to move the KDR up when you've got that many kills and deaths already so I don't worry about it too much. Above 1.0 seems to be above average for this game and I'm too old to be a high KDR guy. I'm also not as choosy as they are about fights, I try to play objectives and also do my missions which often hurts your overall KDR. I took a lot of time off in 2021-2022 but they got me back in with the Halloween event in 2022. Even when I'm not playing much I still tend to log in and cycle through my guys every day for the passive membership certs and sometimes do an easy mission or two. Dailies are insidious and I'm definitely the kind of person they keep busy in all kinds of games.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
When I was still playing I tried to focus on maintaining a high kill per minute and headshot % rather than straight k/d. It's easy to play safe or camp or whatever and have a really high k/d but that's not fun. just staying around 2kpm was really hard lol, crazy how some of the best players have a kpm of like 4+

a lot of that is the population though, picking good fights is a skill for sure. if servers were popping all the time with multiple fights and continents it'd be easier to keep a higher kpm

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah it's hard to maintain something like kills per minute with how the game is unless you can get from busy fight to busy fight reliably. I often play late at night when there's one farm and a couple of small fights depending on the continent as well, but I've been trying to do a prime time alert or two when I can. I'm not gonna sweat my stats in that regard since while I prefer infantry play, I do a bit of everything. I also will sit on a flag point if I need to. It's boring but sometimes it's worthwhile if you know a zerg is going to drop in to try to get it back (or if I have to do Gaining Ground mission). The only thing I'm extremely bad at is ESF fighting but it seems to be something you really need to practice and it helps to get a dueling partner for. There's an air game discord where they help newbies but I'm focused on getting these events done right now and I'm doing some PC upgrades soon (yes, mostly for PS2). Maybe some time I'll try it. I'm still trying to get better at headshots, I mostly still aim center mass but I can manage it with some weapons. Watching good players from their video clips has impressed on me how much faster you put opponents down with headshots and I'm trying to get better at it. I'm never going to worry about my kpm lowering because I'm playing an objective but I also want to stack as many bodies as I can when I can.

Speaking of the current event to get the NS-D Helios, I mentioned previously that if you want a guaranteed way to get a couple of the directive requirements checked off without relying too much on ribbons there's the Module Mastery one (top rank is to slot in 40 modules in construction items), and the Building Blocks one (top rank is to deposit 100K cortium into silos in contested regions). I did a these on a couple characters in the last couple of days and while they're boring, they do get you completion faster than like, repairing stuff.

One tip for Module Mastery (I mentioned this before) is that you can slot in something like a repair module, then replace it with a durability one, then repair, etc. However if you do this quickly on just a couple of construction items it seems to lock you out of XP gains after 4-6 and you won't get credit at that point (watch for a +xp when the module goes in). The solution really just seems to be to slow down and do some other stuff if you get locked. You don't need to be in conflict territory for this one so I often just go refill cortium, or pop over to an active fight and get busy and then come back. It generally takes 10-15 minutes depending if it locks you out and requires a break.

One tip for the Building Blocks one, which has been handy on the Cortium Run mission as well, is that if you arrive at a silo in contested territory and the silo is full, you can't deposit with your ANT. You can do three things about that now. The easiest is to buy the most expensive thing you can from the silo (buying another silo plan is 2k, orbital uplink is 3k, some of the new buildings are 1K+), then change back to main weapon, then buy it again. It's easy to buy 5 silos and clear 10k cortium room in a silo. The other two are new, one is to buy and install a cortium storage module on the silo to bring it to 60k total capacity, and the other is to buy and place a Reserve tank which acts like a little silo with 25k capacity on its own. It's a separate construction item but it seems to give xp ticks for depositing in it like a silo. Just keep watching your directive as you deposit in case the zone goes out of contention. Usually you can still deposit for a while until the next zone nearby gets contested but it sucks to be depositing and not getting credit for it. Anyway, 100K is a lot and plenty of folks are gunning for ANTs since one of other good event directives is to kill 10 vehicles, so it can be a challenge or very boring.

All of the parts of the event directive are cumulative for a change, which is nice. So, even if you can't see the top tier you know you only need 45 alert kills to finish Focused Assault and 40 modules for the module mastery one, etc. Makes it a bit easier to be certain you're done with some of the items. I'll be surprised if they don't give the NS-D Helios alt-fire a little nerf since it's pretty strong, but in the meantime it's free* fireballs. Oh, also I tried the Helios with Ammo belt suit slot and extended mags and it gives you 300 ammo in the gun and 750 spare which is quite a lot even with the alt fire taking 50 per shot. It still wrecks in tunnels and doorways and the like.

Camikaze did a video pointing out how strong the Helios alt fire is and I'm sure when there's video makers that we know the devs watch saying it's a real bad idea to keep it like it is, it will get changed. I'm just hoping it won't get nerfed to near uselessness like the HLX crossbows. They could certainly stand to improve its main fire if the alt fire is brought in line with stuff like the thumper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a02IZTICMRo

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 25, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh yeah and for stuff that just really amazed me when I watched it, check out NSRobotNinja. He did a few videos over the last couple of years. He's doing the robot ninja build with the Fujin (repalces grenades with a one shot headshot throwing knife), bandoleer for more, punisher smg (for the underbarrel pulse), ambusher jets (I think, but he may switch it up), Nightmare and Vampire implants to get health back and cloak on close range kills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATPZoL0Kzx4

I tried it out and while my aim with the Fujin is awful and I'm sure I could get better with practice, I just don't think my brain works that quickly in my 40s. I'll get headshot chains in and kill multiple opponents but the end result is usually me running to reload and getting gunned down or having an indecisive split second about which guy to focus and it's too long. Love that it's possible to do different weird stuff in PS2 and it can work and is super cool.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

drat. My accuracy is around 15%, or half of Rexxed's. I wonder how I can improve that over time. Probably I should just stop panic shooting as much.

Does anyone know how long this Event Directive lasts? I'm at Tier 3 but don't have that much time to play.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

drat. My accuracy is around 15%, or half of Rexxed's. I wonder how I can improve that over time. Probably I should just stop panic shooting as much.

Does anyone know how long this Event Directive lasts? I'm at Tier 3 but don't have that much time to play.

The Directive page will list it, the end date is June 4, so there's some time still - this weekend and next weekend

The Focused Assault and Armored Combat ribbons are gimmes so the module mastery and the cortium deposit ones are probably the easiest to do if you don't feel like hanging on Oshur to grab Construction Base Capture ribbons

Rexxed posted:

Good VS gun chat

Thanks for the tips, funny enough I'm using a Logitech G502 also

Yeah the SMGs were what I was trying to figure out what to pick up next and the Unstable ammunition looks hilarious, is that the one where it looks like giant plasma orbs? Those are funny in firefights

I'll definitely check out the Zenith, the 0.75x ADS speed guns are very much my jam with a Sidewinder implant

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rexxed posted:

Oh yeah and for stuff that just really amazed me when I watched it, check out NSRobotNinja. He did a few videos over the last couple of years. He's doing the robot ninja build with the Fujin (repalces grenades with a one shot headshot throwing knife), bandoleer for more, punisher smg (for the underbarrel pulse), ambusher jets (I think, but he may switch it up), Nightmare and Vampire implants to get health back and cloak on close range kills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATPZoL0Kzx4

I tried it out and while my aim with the Fujin is awful and I'm sure I could get better with practice, I just don't think my brain works that quickly in my 40s. I'll get headshot chains in and kill multiple opponents but the end result is usually me running to reload and getting gunned down or having an indecisive split second about which guy to focus and it's too long. Love that it's possible to do different weird stuff in PS2 and it can work and is super cool.

This is awesome. Too bad modern games have ruined or just outright removed stealth and melee, (see: Apex Legends which removed the only invisibility ultimate, which was on a long cooldown and only lasted like 5 seconds very early into the game. No melee weapons except punching which does crap damage) because "pro" gamers whined about it I'm sure.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Any tricks on actually doing anything in a liberator with a friend on the guns? It feels like even with the explosive cannon (which is apparently hard to aim, I'm always flying so I never know) we can barely do anything. Almost never even snagging a vehicle kill let alone infantry before being absolutely blasted out of the sky by the torrent of bullets coming from the ground (and sometimes enemy fliers, but usually the ground forces are enough to dunk on us hard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any tricks on actually doing anything in a liberator with a friend on the guns? It feels like even with the explosive cannon (which is apparently hard to aim, I'm always flying so I never know) we can barely do anything. Almost never even snagging a vehicle kill let alone infantry before being absolutely blasted out of the sky by the torrent of bullets coming from the ground (and sometimes enemy fliers, but usually the ground forces are enough to dunk on us hard)

I watched some iLimits videos about Liberator certs a couple of years ago and it's helped, but I don't play with it that much since I mostly play solo and don't have the air skills to solo lib:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFVlKYa_trY
He has other videos with him gunning down ESFs with a dalton like nonstop, so I figure he's a subject matter expert.

Basically you want fire suppression, stealth, and high g on your lib slots starting out. He goes over other airframe considerations as well. He also covers weapons but I usually use the Shredder with the 3x scope if I'm being a dick and picking off vehicles from 600-700m up, or the Dalton. Dalton really needs to be closer and yes, is hard to aim. It has both an arc like a tank gun but it varies based on the angle you fire it from (basically no arc directly down). The pilot gun can be any of the three depending what you're doing. Vortex is good for dueling with planes at range since with full mag size and ammo you can shoot a lot. SPUR is very good at killing infantry if you're just terrorizing people at close range. Tank Buster requires you to be very close to do a ton of damage to vehicles. Probably start with the Hyena on the tail slot so your friend can pelt ESFs chasing you.

Like most air stuff in PS2, controlling the liberator is also weird since you can just hit your keybind for 0 thrust and stop and hover in place, plus having pitch up/down on your mouse thumb buttons is good for turning, like with any ESF. I ended up putting my 0 thrust keybind on the third thumb button as well.

Afterburner certs for the lib are in the liberator certs menu and it helps. Since you're a big flying brick it's nice to be able to zoom off when you start getting attention. Engineer certs has the aircraft synergy thing for passive heal over time of the aircraft you're piloting. Flak does less damage at range now so if you're really high up you won't get hurt much and the whole shredder from the sky thing can kill lightnings in 2-3 reloads. It's normal to get attention from enemy ESFs when you're terrorizing an armor column and you have to take off to survive. Breaking line of sight to ground forces is good and pelting planes following you with the Walker or Hyena tends to make them stop, and you can always head towards your warpgate while they chase you, shooting at them the whole time. Also be aware that ground units can see you like 1000m+ away but you often can't see them until you're around 600m away. That's why you're taking hits while trying to escape.

If you want a turn on the guns you can hit PgDown to see the vehicle permissions popup and set it to Squad Only, then your friend can hit F1 to request to be in the pilot seat (or you can hit F2). Your buddy can work on certing up a liberator, too, so you can both pull them. Changing pilots does have the one weird bug I mostly see on Indar where if you slam into the flight ceiling (1200m or whatever, it's higher on Indar due to the north being low), sometimes the pilot's controls just stop working and they can't do anything until either the plane dies or they move seats. It doesn't happen that much

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 26, 2023