Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I love Devonte Graham but he’s pretty much the definition of replacement level point guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tre Jones as a backup PG is a great asset and a luxury.

Tre Jones as a full-time starting PG? I totally understand why the Spurs are looking to address a PG issue.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is Lowry the only passed his prime point guard in league with a ring at this point? Holiday and Steph aren’t passed their primes yet and aren’t going anywhere. Rondo’s out of League. Lol you have go back to Kyrie in 2016 to find another one.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Atlanta has a logjam at point guard, maybe them and the spurs can strike a deal

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Listening to the Woj pod today and it's very funny to hear him and Givony talking about Brandon Miller as the clear No. 2 prospect (based on talent and NBA projection) who might only be derailed by Mononucleosis / crime stuff / Charlotte liking in-person workouts. Meanwhile draft heads / the Hornets fan base are melting down

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

morestuff posted:

Listening to the Woj pod today and it's very funny to hear him and Givony talking about Brandon Miller as the clear No. 2 prospect (based on talent and NBA projection) who might only be derailed by Mononucleosis / crime stuff / Charlotte liking in-person workouts. Meanwhile draft heads / the Hornets fan base are melting down

I also enjoy the smokescreen that the Blazers are likely going to keep the pick.

There needs to be some sort of succession show but for NBA Assistant GMs

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Blazers might keep the pick. If everyone is low balling their offers, take the young player, especially if it's Scoot, then auction him off after the draft. Blazers are looking for a win now player anyway so it's not essential a trade happens on draft day.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Golden State Warriors did that with James Wiseman. But it didn't work very well

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Draft day trades are so much easier due to protections.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fast Luck posted:

The Golden State Warriors did that with James Wiseman. But it didn't work very well

You have a point. Draft --> stash --> trade never actually seems to work. Probably because you have to play a guy for him to have any value on rookie contracts, and also from a salary standpoint don't generally slot well with anything but other people drafted the same year.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

When can teams officially start trading draft picks? The day of the draft? After the finals end? Now? I couldn't find out from a quick google.

e: VVVV thanks

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 26, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Whenever they want, minus the teams still playing. Most wait until after the finals though

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Scoot doesn't mesh with Dame, but I don't think trading for Siakam or whoever actually moves the needle that much

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Having to draft Scoot would really suck for Portland. He won't (or at least shouldn't) get any touches as long as Dame, Simons and Sharpe are there.

If Portland can't make a trade work for the #3 they have to hope that Miller is available, or that they can move Simons for a starting wing. Neither seem very likely.

I want Siakam or OG and I think either should guarantee a top 4 seed in the West. Then again I really thought Dame/Simons/Hart/Grant/Nurk was gonna work, so maybe I'm just a dumb homer

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Scoot doesn't mesh with Dame, but I don't think trading for Siakam or whoever actually moves the needle that much

Portland has the number 3 pick in the draft they had the 7th last year don't worry how someone with 2 years left with the team will mesh with your future

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I think trading Dame would be the best move forward for both Dame and the Blazers, but that's probably not happening and they'll be stuck at like 6th-seed ceiling for another few years

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Would love to know what his answers were

quote:

Jonathan Givony: "Based on talent, [Brandon Miller] should be the #2 pick in the draft, and I believe if the draft was held tonight, he would be the #2 pick". Also mentions that teams did not like Miller's answers during interviews in regards to the gun incident

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

When was the last time a team traded a superstar and did not suck for many years?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh poo poo read a post saying the Hornets going to draft Scoot to entice Curry to retire with them

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Would love to know what his answers were

He basically plead the fifth and handed teams a note from his lawyer saying he couldn’t talk about it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mean Baby posted:

When was the last time a team traded a superstar and did not suck for many years?

the spurs managed to tread water for three years post kawhi

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

the spurs managed to tread water for three years post kawhi

Yeah I’d define not suck as reach the conference semis. They also got back an all nba player in that deal lol.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mean Baby posted:

Okc had 2 seasons without post season play

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mean Baby posted:

Yeah I’d define not suck as reach the conference semis. They also got back an all nba player in that deal lol.

well then you should have said that instead of moving the goalposts jeez

so a team where they sent their best player out, did not get anything immediately worthwhile back, and made the conference semis (which many teams with a superstar would not have been doing anyways)

small list but the 2012 nuggets took the lakers to 7 games in the first so that’s as close as you’re getting

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Having to draft Scoot would really suck for Portland. He won't (or at least shouldn't) get any touches as long as Dame, Simons and Sharpe are there.

If Portland can't make a trade work for the #3 they have to hope that Miller is available, or that they can move Simons for a starting wing. Neither seem very likely.

I want Siakam or OG and I think either should guarantee a top 4 seed in the West. Then again I really thought Dame/Simons/Hart/Grant/Nurk was gonna work, so maybe I'm just a dumb homer

the dame window has closed. you’re not making the playoffs with him as a #1 option, much less winning a title.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mean Baby posted:

22 teams suck every year?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Declan MacManus posted:

the dame window has closed. you’re not making the playoffs with him as a #1 option, much less winning a title.

One of these players led their team to 53 wins, another one won 49 games, and another 33

code:
PER		TS%		WS		WS/48		BPM		VORP
25.2		.594		12.6		.227		7.2		6.3
23.7		.588		12.1		.205		6.4		6.0
26.7		.645		9.0		.205		7.1		4.9
They're all Lillard, first 2 Portland was the 3 seed, last one was this past season

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Lockback posted:

22 teams suck every year?

I think in this context, yes. If you have a star, people act like if you aren’t in at least the top 8 you should blow it up to maybe be competitive to win a championship sometime in the future. Potential is overrated by very online fans.

I think realistically 8-10 teams have a legitimate shot at a championship each year. You are waaaayy more likely to win a championship with a veteran star then without one any given year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Pelicans mostly pivoted well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Pelicans mostly pivoted well.

Injuries and fake-muscles Bledsoe, though. :(

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The T-Wolves are perhaps an extreme example, but everyone compares Dame's situation to KG's. Both markets are not attracting marquee free agents.

8 of the 10 seasons with KG, Minnesota had a positive win percentage, won over 50 games 4 times, and had a WCF appearance.
7 of the 11 seasons with Dame, Portland has a positive win percentage (and made the playoffs during the bubble with a negative win percentage), won over 50 games 3 times, and has a WCF appearance.

In the 16 years since trading KG, it took them 10 years to make the playoffs, they've only made the playoffs three times in that window (year 15 and 16), haven't won a series, and haven't finished higher than 7th. They've had very high and very hyped picks a lot in that window.

I don't want to be 50 when the Blazers make the playoffs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mean Baby posted:

I think in this context, yes. If you have a star, people act like if you aren’t in at least the top 8 you should blow it up to maybe be competitive to win a championship sometime in the future. Potential is overrated by very online fans.

I think realistically 8-10 teams have a legitimate shot at a championship each year. You are waaaayy more likely to win a championship with a veteran star then without one any given year.

Less than that are actual contenders, but I also think the measurement for success needs to be a lot different than "made the finals".

Some collorerary with real life, maybe.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Having a job for life and getting a gold watch on retirement :: Washington Wizards???

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Having a job for life and getting a gold watch on retirement :: Washington Wizards???

Atlanta Hawks. Find joy in the second round seasons of life.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mean Baby posted:

The T-Wolves are perhaps an extreme example, but everyone compares Dame's situation to KG's. Both markets are not attracting marquee free agents.

8 of the 10 seasons with KG, Minnesota had a positive win percentage, won over 50 games 4 times, and had a WCF appearance.
7 of the 11 seasons with Dame, Portland has a positive win percentage (and made the playoffs during the bubble with a negative win percentage), won over 50 games 3 times, and has a WCF appearance.

In the 16 years since trading KG, it took them 10 years to make the playoffs, they've only made the playoffs three times in that window (year 15 and 16), haven't won a series, and haven't finished higher than 7th. They've had very high and very hyped picks a lot in that window.

I don't want to be 50 when the Blazers make the playoffs.

Buddy the trailblazers will make the playoffs again when they start being ran like a good franchise again old man dame isn't changing that

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The Twolves also didn’t get the modern trade package for a All NBA player.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

The Twolves also didn’t get the modern trade package for a All NBA player.

Love? Keep in mind contract length is a real important factor.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Lockback posted:

Less than that are actual contenders, but I also think the measurement for success needs to be a lot different than "made the finals".

Some collorerary with real life, maybe.

Maybe a better measurement would be going as far in the playoffs as they had with the star.

It looks like there are a couple of examples of it leading to success in the short term, but that team had another superstar.

Orlando went to the finals a couple years after trading T-Mac, but they had Dwight Howard.

Shaq was traded to Miami but the Lakers were able to build another Dynasty. Of course they had Kobe.

The KG / Pierce to NJ trade.

These are a few of the nightmare trades:

Iverson to Denver
KG to Minnesota
Jimmy Butler (both Chicago and Minnesota).
Chris Paul (the NOP and HOU trades)

There are also a lot of TBD, lose-lose, and “depends on your definition of a superstar”. I’m not sure if someone like Kevin Love is truly a star. Butler might not have been at that level when traded, etc.

OKC has been able to ship out stars and get a lot of assets back. With SGA, it looks like that has paid off. Although, I think they realistically should be finishing higher given how good SGA is and the assets they have to build a team around him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
omax prosper from marquette is a crazy good defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The huge difference between what prospect scouts I respect say about scoot, versus what Adrian Wojnarowski and Jonathan Giviny said on wojs podcast has me very suspicious.

woj was manufacturing opinion