Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I've come to the conclusion that TR guns are just lame and not fun compared to the other two options (actually 3). NC has so many awesome guns I've been playing it a lot more than my TR which is almost BR100. Something about NC guns just feels satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

cmdrk posted:

resubbed to Daybreak for Everquest and have been playing some PSide on the side. Game is generally good, but I still manage to end up in completely lopsided 80/20 fights or unfun hellgrinds at The Crown or The Ascent most of the time :shepface: I've tweaked the map quite a bit to find the good fights but I guess I still have yet to hone my PSide senses.

picked up the Lasher on my VS guy, it's a fun gun for softening up targets at various choke points. always wanted one since planetside 1.

What's kind of interesting about 96+ on 96+ scrums at those points is that with a little time in it becomes really apparent real quick if there's an actual chance to push through by open palm slamming a MAX into the Sunderer VHS or if it's time to head to a different point because it's bogged down with enemy armor

The little periphery captures where the population is low and it's like 2 on 2 + a cloaked Sunderer you can't find winds up being a bit frustrating until more folks drop in yeah

I find the 24 on 24 scrums tend to be pretty healthy back and forths that escalate into the 48-96 range pretty good

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Another video of cool stuff I can't do myself. What is that man doing to his magrider?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmsShAvvO2M

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I misread the hotfix notes. The Apex SMGs now apply to class directives that track SMG kills. I thought they were going to be added to the SMG directive for some reason. So it is just a bug fix where they weren't counting for LA/Infil SMG directives.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's the last weekend to finish the event directive if you haven't. As I've mentioned before, the easiest way seems to be 45 kills during an alert (it counts blowing up mines and stuff as kills so it's pretty easy), 10 vehicle kills or contributions to vehicle kills while in a vehicle (you have to be in the vehicle when the one you damaged dies), install 40 construction modules, and then one of the other ones. Depositing 100k cortium into a silo in contested territory is kind of easy but takes a while. Buying apex guns for 25 kills is fast but costs DBC. 5 captures on construction bases on the lattice isn't too hard but there's only a lot of them on Oshur, the other continents just have a few. The others, like doing a lot of heals/reps, attacking/defending control consoles, etc, seem very slow because they require ribbons and not just one and done.

The rebalance on the Helios isn't bad. It's primary fire mode is still not great but it's better, and the alt-fire isn't one-shotting people but it's still effective on groups.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

The rebalance on the Helios isn't bad. It's primary fire mode is still not great but it's better, and the alt-fire isn't one-shotting people but it's still effective on groups.

Yeah the Helios is actually usable as a gun now and not just a grenade launcher, it's pretty great

Any tips on the NSO guns? Them having the integrated sights is kind of nice but they seem kind of low damage and high recoil which is kind of weird handling

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Yeah the Helios is actually usable as a gun now and not just a grenade launcher, it's pretty great

Any tips on the NSO guns? Them having the integrated sights is kind of nice but they seem kind of low damage and high recoil which is kind of weird handling

They have weird damage models compared to everyone else's guns. Other factions are like 143/167/200 damage or whatever, but NSO seem to get 112, 150, stuff like that. It mostly means their RPM is a little different compared to the other faction guns to give them similar DPS, but some fall short on ammo capacity for their higher RPM and have other shortcomings. They could use a second pass. The high fire rate of some stuff makes them feel like TR guns but TR often get more ammo. It's really a mixed basket, with a few stand outs and some that are below par.

For the LMGS, XMG-100 is okay, 155 and 200 kind of suck. We didn't used to have anything but NS weapons so the NS-15M and Naginata were the only ones for a couple of years, but the XMG is reasonable at least with the 100. I auraxed the 155 but it was just a bit of a letdown and it's loving cursed because it doesn't even count as LMG kills for the gun game mission. The auraxium reward XMG Galilei is like a slightly better XMG-100 with less ammo.

For ARs, I think the AR-N203 with it's 3 round burst is okay but the 100 and the 101 are lackluster. At least the 101 gets a grenade launcher. They are fairly accurate, though. I use the NS-11A a lot or one of the cosmetic variants but I don't play medic that much so it's often on my engineer for fun.

Carbines, the CB-100 is not great but serviceable. It doesn't really have enough ammo. The CB-X75 is one of my favorite carbines from any faction, it's just good and hits out to ranges it shouldn't. I feel like its stats don't do it justice. CB-200 is pretty accurate with good damage, I mostly set it up for hitting things farther away.

SMGs the PMG-3XB quite good since its got that three round burst. I've been using the PMG-100 in the apex variant and it's a strange gun. It doesn't do much damage but it seems to have a lot of ammo for an SMG so you can really hose someone down.

Sniper rifles, the SR-100 is okay for a semiauto. It's one claim to fame is that it gets a thermal/infravision style optic but I think they added that to more guns at some point. SR-200/Mako (it got renamed in the Integration patch) is the best one since it gets a 4X scope and can equip an anti-sway device so it's the closest thing we get to a bolt action. I auraxed the Mako recently but haven't really clicked with the SR-150, it feels bad.

For the NSO faction Anti-materiel rifle, the Linecutter is pretty good. If you put Haywire ammo on it it will give some mechanical targets the havoc effect so they can't be repaired. I believe it works on base turrets and maxes but not vehicles, you seem to need the heavy assault + punisher smg underbarrel combo for that one. AMRs count as sniper rifles so I'll probably aurax the category with those or something.

Scout rifles actually has a good selection. The BAR-200 is really good and does a good amount of damage and is very accurate. I use it on infiltrator a lot since there's no short range bolt action sniper. It doesn't one shot but it's got a lot of stopping power. The BAR-A50 is an automatic 200 dmg scout rifle. It doesn't handle that well for a scout rifle but it's kind of like using the SAW or Gladius since typically the NC are the only faction to get 200 dmg automatic weapons. I've never really used the BAR-100.

The Lastly pistol you get by default is alright, Harbinger is actually decent though.

Also don't forget NS weapons, they're all pretty balanced since they're meant to be the most generic and that's what the NSO started with. NS-11C,A,M are all pretty good.

For a very, very general attachment setup I usually use a compensator and forward grip for anything I want to use at range/ADS and then pick my optics and ammo based on engagement range, like 1x and soft point or 2x/3.4x and high velocity, but I often just run with 1x and soft point and burst fire to plink at range. It's really general advice, though. For the carbines I'd use the CB-200 like that but the CB-X75 and CB-100 I'd run with the 1x, soft point, laser and short barrel or flash suppressor since while you can ADS, if you're using it on light assault you'll be moving around a lot and carbines get the bloom reduction on light assault while flying, but SMGs and shotguns do not.

In general the heavy barrel is kind of poo poo since it physically slows you while ADSing. It's not the end of the world if you always ADS but it will make you more vulnerable while you aim and then if you try fight without aiming it's not helping you. I prefer the compensator on most guns of I'm going to be ADSing and hitting stuff further away. Angled forward grip is mostly for guns with weird firing patterns where the first shot would be bouncy. I feel like it mostly benefits burst weapons since they often have that kind of thing going on, but again it's pretty general advice and there's a lot of weapon variation.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

zeldadude posted:

I've come to the conclusion that TR guns are just lame and not fun compared to the other two options (actually 3). NC has so many awesome guns I've been playing it a lot more than my TR which is almost BR100. Something about NC guns just feels satisfying

I agree, I have a lot of fun with NC guns, the jackhammer and other shotguns make a much more satisfying POOK POOK POOK sound than the TR's fart guns, its just...and this is a rant but

I am not good at this game. I am fine with support, running around, keeping vehicles running and bringing people back to life. Bringing new sundies up when everyone else is doing their thing, going back and murdering a ghost capper when everyone else is distracted.

But I cannot click man. I keep losing almost every 1v1 fight, the time to death appears under half a second. And I am frustrated at how being a heavy at max overshield down to death almost instantly keeps happening and I keep getting wiped to dudes firing perfect headshots with burst guns from the hip. I keep thinking of how to approach things differently and go from angles they aren't covered from but there's usually a second, or third, or fourth guy also nigh effortlessly killing me. I have better luck with the Bishop lurking about 50-100 meters behind the front line and hiding in the chaos so I can think and plan my shots. (Sometimes the best thing I can do is just spot to give the other zerg targets). I usually do better then unless the other side's infil/battlerifle guy spots me first.

Yeah, yeah, skill issue, but I don't even know where to start since it does not seem to be improving the more I try.

Ed: did some experimenting. slapping a suppressor on the lmg lowers my dps but also gives me a little time before they realize exactly where I am, and I guess they assume they're being hit with an smg and look for me closer than where I actually am.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 4, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

I agree, I have a lot of fun with NC guns, the jackhammer and other shotguns make a much more satisfying POOK POOK POOK sound than the TR's fart guns, its just...and this is a rant but

I am not good at this game. I am fine with support, running around, keeping vehicles running and bringing people back to life. Bringing new sundies up when everyone else is doing their thing, going back and murdering a ghost capper when everyone else is distracted.

But I cannot click man. I keep losing almost every 1v1 fight, the time to death appears under half a second. And I am frustrated at how being a heavy at max overshield down to death almost instantly keeps happening and I keep getting wiped to dudes firing perfect headshots with burst guns from the hip. I keep thinking of how to approach things differently and go from angles they aren't covered from but there's usually a second, or third, or fourth guy also nigh effortlessly killing me. I have better luck with the Bishop lurking about 50-100 meters behind the front line and hiding in the chaos so I can think and plan my shots. (Sometimes the best thing I can do is just spot to give the other zerg targets). I usually do better then unless the other side's infil/battlerifle guy spots me first.

Yeah, yeah, skill issue, but I don't even know where to start since it does not seem to be improving the more I try.

Ed: did some experimenting. slapping a suppressor on the lmg lowers my dps but also gives me a little time before they realize exactly where I am, and I guess they assume they're being hit with an smg and look for me closer than where I actually am.

It's pretty much impossible to win a straight gunfight head on both because people are good and netcode makes it so that every bullet is precious so you can guarantee that the other person clicked just before you did

The way I keep about a 1.0 K/D is to constantly be flanking and going around problems, so when things are getting spicy at a point, go around the point or over the building (if Light Assault); suppressors are aces for this

Also, never start a gunfight out of cover - having something to dip behind when you miss is crucial for staying alive

Survivalist Implant is actually really solid for the shield recharge reduction, the sprint speed on shield break is just a cherry on top

Higher bullet velocity helps too because that's less you have to lead ahead so the high velocity ammo is usually a pretty good pickup; the soft point ammo is actually real useful too

Lots of good attachment options, really - Unstable Ammo for VS is literally the "I can't aim good option" to the point in that it accidentally kills your teammates better too because of bigger projectiles

Rexxed posted:

NSO Gun Chat

Yeah, I had my eyes on the Mako and the CB-X75, so I'll give those a spin

I've got a couple of the NS weapons from the promotional codes (the NS-11P, the platinum Tengu, and the platinum Tanto) and they're pretty solid low ROF accurate alternatives for general use; there's big weapons bundles both for the NS and NSX gear so I'm thinking I might save up for those down the line since they would be a huge cert savings across 4 characters

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
any recommendations on cert path for construction modules? while I'm subbed I think grinding out those certs would be a fun use of time, but jeez there's a ton of them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rexxed posted:

... if you're using it on light assault you'll be moving around a lot and carbines get the bloom reduction on light assault while flying, but SMGs and shotguns do not.

:stare: Why is this not documented somewhere. Are there other class-specific tidbits like this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

:stare: Why is this not documented somewhere. Are there other class-specific tidbits like this?

Engineers begin to regen their shield faster as a class trait, it's like a built in advanced shield capacitor. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I've seen folks run bionics to take advantage of this but when I've tried it I find that my internal sense about how healthy I am gets hosed up since I'm used to the shield being half of my health. Also medkits are the old reliable.

Ronwayne posted:

TTK in planetside is around half a second or less depending on everyone's connection (since it's clientside), but doing well seems to have three major considerations. The first is just having a PC that can run the game fast and settings to let it do that. I'm using a 165hz monitor and while I don't always get that many frames, it's usually 100+ FPS on my AMD 5800X. The GTX 1080 video card is a bit long in the tooth for some games but seems to be fine in PS2 as long as there isn't too much smoke being drawn. I linked Baddie's planetside 2 performance guide sometime in the last few pages and it's worth doing a lot of those settings. I'd probably get higher FPS if I turned down draw distance too but I keep mine high and I run at 1440p. I notice in a lot of the impressive infantry videos I see it's turned down to improve fps and cull a lot of stuff that's not close (like NSRobotNinja's).

When I started playing ps2 around release I could never kill anyone head to head. I was running an on AMD phenom CPU and I would get like 30 FPS most of the time but when guns started shooting it would drop dramatically to like 10-15 FPS, essentially giving me a slideshow. The game is badly optimized to prefer the highest performance on a single core, but modern CPUs tend to make it perform well enough to be consistent. If you're using anything from a 8th gen or newer intel cpu or ryzen series, you should be able to get 100+ FPS without having to worry. FPS is directly tied to damage on high RPM guns because the client is jank but this also isn't uncommon for shooter games for some reason.

The second is mechanical aim. There's a zillion words written about this for first person shooters on the internet. There's articles about mouse DPI, big mousepad, arm positioning, aim training programs you can use, and so on, but for me the main thing has been to get a setup that's good and then get used to it so I can snap my aim from target to target without overshooting or undershooting. This lets me get better at hitting stuff and aiming for the head. It really comes down to optimizing your setup and then practicing. It can be really frustrating at first but if your setup it good the effort level should go down to make it easier to click on heads. One thing I've done is use third party crosshairs to help with aim since the in-game sights were really inconsistent until a recent patch where they tried to get them all in line. I'm using Recursion software for the crosshair overlay but there's also plenty of other ways to do it and it's allowed by DBG.

The third is really just specific to the game and has more to do with situational awareness and positioning. Nobody gets this a hundred percent right, even the sweatiest outfits. Being that it's a massive game there's always going to be light assaults and infils trying to hit you from behind and things like recon darts and dildars can help with that but they're not foolproof because of implants like sensor shield. In general, though, when you leave the spawn room or walk away from a sunderer you will want to have some idea where the action is going to be. You may not know and then you have to be cautious but like with many bases the point of contact with your opponents is going to be whatever defenses they've set up, like at the doors of a building with a capture point, or somewhere between the place you spawned and where you want to go. I don't think there's really a way to provide advice for this kind of thing since there's a huge amount of variation in bases and play style but if I find that opponents have something well locked down I just always look for flanking opportunities so I can get in behind and kill as many as possible or work on the objective while they're all pushed forward beyond it.

I find that for the first category just upgrading my computer has helped over time. I stopped playing after a few months after release because the game just wouldn't run well on my system at all but I came back after I built a haswell machine (4th gen) in 2013. Then I got a 1440 monitor and needed a beefier GPU, then I upgraded my motherboard and CPU in 2018, and again in 2021 since I was playing more and it was holding me back. I've also gone through a few mice and while I have stuck with the G502 since 2015 or so, I'm now using the lightspeed wireless version and using a 1600 DPI instead of 800. I just changed my in game mouse sensitivity to be about half of what it was previously. This is stated as good general advice for folks using 1440 monitors since 1600 DPI is good in windows at that resolution and the mouse sensors behave better at higher DPI. I forget the exact article but it was in the mouse thread sometime in the last couple of years. Basically the mice track better at higher DPI. Also there's the general advice to turn off mouse acceleration in windows and set the mouse speed to 6/11 on the slider which is right in about the middle.

For mechanical aim I just kind of practice. I've been getting better. I made a new alt for fun and am averaging a 2+ KDR playing with my favorite guns. My aim and ability to pick up new targets pales in comparison to some players but that's okay. Often doing well from a KDR perspective means ignoring a lot of what makes the game cool, though. I know that it's basically a mantra for a lot of the high KDR heavies that playing the objective is for scrubs. That just means they're looking to get kills and not worry bout the points/base capture/alerts. They just end up on points because that's where there's people to farm.

I like watching SirCerealBox's videos sometimes because while he's cherry picking clips for them, it's clear that he's very good mechanically at putting bullets right into people's heads and snapping his aim from target to target. It's one of those things where I go "okay my brain doesn't work that fast" but it gives me some hope to one day improve my aim more. It also makes it obvious how effective hitting repeated headshots is, when I watch my own clips I'm hitting center mass a lot and people die more slowly.
He just posted this one with the Galilei:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6UlCPjsy8

edit: also some of the stuff he does makes sense but isn't what you'd normally consider. For example if he kills a guy and his shield is down and survivalist has procced, he just runs away from the other incoming folks so he can get his shield back up and engage them while healthy. Having full health and shields is big in this game, as is being the aggressor since it's client side and you get the advantage of being slightly ahead of where your opponents see you due to the latency inherent in a client/server game.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 4, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I like watching SirCerealBox's videos sometimes because while he's cherry picking clips for them, it's clear that he's very good mechanically at putting bullets right into people's heads and snapping his aim from target to target. It's one of those things where I go "okay my brain doesn't work that fast" but it gives me some hope to one day improve my aim more. It also makes it obvious how effective hitting repeated headshots is, when I watch my own clips I'm hitting center mass a lot and people die more slowly.
He just posted this one with the Galilei:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6UlCPjsy8

edit: also some of the stuff he does makes sense but isn't what you'd normally consider. For example if he kills a guy and his shield is down and survivalist has procced, he just runs away from the other incoming folks so he can get his shield back up and engage them while healthy. Having full health and shields is big in this game, as is being the aggressor since it's client side and you get the advantage of being slightly ahead of where your opponents see you due to the latency inherent in a client/server game.
This video's a great watch both because his aim is completely on point and also because it's a portal into another reality where the underground on Nason's Defiance isn't a 48 on 48 point hold, that's a hoot to see

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
CerealBox was also a top tier wraith flasher back in the day when that was still fun.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I don't know if he still even plays planetside let alone posts videos but James used to be my favorite player to watch. his positioning was just impeccable and his aim was aimbot tier. Afaik he would have no problems maintaining 4-5 kills per minute which is just bonkers. regularly 1v5ing people

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I changed out my R7-5800X CPU for the R7-5800X3D yesterday and Planetside likes the upgrade. It's difficult to put hard numbers up because the game has no built-in benchmark but I'm always capped at 163 FPS when there's nothing going on and I didn't see anything dip down below around 90 FPS last night. I set the frame limit in the client to be 2 FPS below my freesync monitor's max refresh which is what is suggested for best performance. In game this shows the FPS sitting at 162-163 and labeling the limit as (CPU). When my performance dropped it was largely attributed to GPU in the in-game FPS meter and involved smoke and explosions (hit alt-f for the in game fps counter). The 5800X wasn't that much worse but I had been noticing less FPS when nothing was going on (especially around construction areas since Fortification went live) and some dips attributed to the CPU. Normally it'd be a waste to upgrade a perfectly good CPU for a slightly better one, but when the 3d cache works it really works, and I can use the 5800X in my old PC with a 1700X I'm still using as a secondary computer. Heck the 1700X might go to my dad since he's still on haswell.

Anyway, if you are building a new PC these days and want to consider PS2 for performance, you can either go with an intel i5-13600K or higher, or the R7-5800X3D or R7-7800X3D. I wouldn't get anything lower end from AMD since the 3D cache helps a lot in this and a lot of other titles, and the Intel alternative is just raw clock speed and high single core performance. There's been a few benchmarks on reddit from a guy who runs one of each type of system side by side (afaik he puts two characters next to each other watching the same big fights) and while the Ryzen performed a bit better than the 13600K it was close. I think the main advantage to AMD is that it doesn't use as much power and produce as much heat, although neither company's CPUs are running that cool these days.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Little hotfix tomorrow to update some stuff and fix a few things:

quote:

JUNE 7, 2023 - PC HOTFIX

All PC servers will come down for the following update on Wednesday, June 7th, at 6:00am PT (3:00pm CEST). The downtime for this update is expected to last up to 2 hours.
--

Construction
Construction items no longer have a cost in VR
The Glaive IPC's targeting dart no longer requires a line of sight with the base Glaive structure
Added cortium cost (50 per burst) to the Glaive IPC
Faction Banners no longer decay when in range of a silo
Decaying Faction Banners no longer provide experience when repaired
Command Center and Rebirthing Center terminals are no longer available when the structure is not powered by a silo
Fixed an issue where Tapp Waystation did not have enough space to build a Command Center and Rebirth Center
Dev Note: Two sections of the ring have been removed, allowing the construction of larger structures in those two locations
Routers that are not under the influence of a friendly Routing Spire (500m range) will decay and die within 10 seconds
Dev Note - Routers can be under the influence of multiple friendly Routing Spires
Removed the Access/Permissions radial menu from the Routing Spire
Routing Spires' interaction prompt is now easier to access
Pulling vehicles from construction terminals no longer grant XP
Updated the Solid Wall construction item so the module is accessible at both the upper and lower limits of its build height
Solid Wall constructions limits are now at the intended max of 4 per player
Previously a bug limited this to 3 per player
Terminals from construction objects that have been hacked, and then hacked back, can be deconstructed by the owner
Fixed an issue that caused Light Air and Vehicle Terminals to cease functioning after a nearby friendly Silo was destroyed when powered by both a Silo and Construction Facility Silo
Orbital Strike Uplink now has ambient audio

Misc. Changes, Fixes, and Additions
Fixed a memory leak caused by DLSS and GUI models
This leak was most noticeable in Sanctuary with a UI menu open
NS-D Helios can now be purchased from the Depot

NS Heavy Weapons now work with marketplace filters
Fixed erratic left hand animation "popping" while reloading
This mainly affected NSO weapons
Oshur: Vehicles are no longer able to enter warpgate spawn areas to block access to terminals
Oshur: Jaeger: Mini-Meltdowns will no longer trigger if Alerts are disabled
New faction based audio tracks have been added to the Character Select screen
Selecting a character will play one of the faction based audio tracks at random
Updated Esamir map and mini-map
Various string updates to account for more accurate and up to date item descriptions

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I wasn't even aware there was dlss these days, it is not exactly a performance heavy title these days

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Twibbit posted:

I wasn't even aware there was dlss these days, it is not exactly a performance heavy title these days

Yeah they added it in a little while ago. It can be really good looking on ultra, but I think a lot of folks play turned down so they can see people. One of the recent threads about how well it performs on a 7800X3D CPU had folks talking about running at 4k on ultra with beefier video cards than I have and getting reasonably high framerates.

I know Lanzer is clueless about computers and framerates but he has done a bunch of deep dives on Colossus loadouts and plays them a ton, and it's fun to see his videos he makes with an ultrawide screen. Looks like 3440x1440 from the video being 1440 but, well, ultrawide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCZbFEBaBdI

Fair warning, he does a lot of these long podcasts with people from the community about PS2 and yet somehow basically just plays vehicles and does strategic ops. It's almost quaint to run into someone who is completely free from worrying about headshots and KDR and just blasts people with big tank.

I pulled a colossus last night and while I didn't do amazing in it with no support, I did kill a couple of the hard points on the YEEB Bastion. gently caress 'em.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I pulled a colossus last night and while I didn't do amazing in it with no support, I did kill a couple of the hard points on the YEEB Bastion. gently caress 'em.
Is there something about TR that attracts really unsavory outfits? I don't know anything about the major outfits or even the minor ones other than a couple folks do the robosquad thing where they join a squad, send outfit invites to everyone, then leave the squad

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is there something about TR that attracts really unsavory outfits? I don't know anything about the major outfits or even the minor ones other than a couple folks do the robosquad thing where they join a squad, send outfit invites to everyone, then leave the squad

You know how there are people who practically worship the military and have a raging hard-on for all things military/tactical/oorah space jarheads? Know how 99% of those people are chuds? TR is the "military" faction so it attracts chuds, klansmen, and every other stripe of racist like flypaper.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's assholes on every faction but I think TR has the whole black and red military thing that makes fascists want to be stormtroopers. I've seen unsavory folks on every faction; I think TR is just the windmill slam choice for aspiring wehraboos. Emerald has history from real neo-nazis trying to recruit people back around the time the game was released. There's an outfit (multi-game guild) with some white power folks called The Enclave who I ran into back in WoW who were being jarringly racist to my dwarf character in like 2005. Same folks were on Mattherson (server that merged with Waterson to become Emerald) at release running the biggest TR platoons with BuzzCutPsycho in charge. He's a white power type who tries to do recruiting through getting people in games to do what he says. He doesn't play PS2 anymore afaik but I still see people in [TE] from time to time. I believe he was named by politicians in the US government directly for being a person who does this kind of thing, him or Horrigan or someone (maybe they're the same guy, I don't keep track of the enclave).

It's a shame because I like some TR guns and the prowler is pretty cool, and the aesthetic is neat especially since it's a sci fi fantasy game. It's just that there's a lot of unsavory dudes who make it their life to never be self reflective even a tiny bit. Good folks on there, too, they just seem to be outnumbered lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I changed out my R7-5800X CPU for the R7-5800X3D yesterday and Planetside likes the upgrade. It's difficult to put hard numbers up because the game has no built-in benchmark but I'm always capped at 163 FPS when there's nothing going on and I didn't see anything dip down below around 90 FPS last night. I set the frame limit in the client to be 2 FPS below my freesync monitor's max refresh which is what is suggested for best performance. In game this shows the FPS sitting at 162-163 and labeling the limit as (CPU). When my performance dropped it was largely attributed to GPU in the in-game FPS meter and involved smoke and explosions (hit alt-f for the in game fps counter). The 5800X wasn't that much worse but I had been noticing less FPS when nothing was going on (especially around construction areas since Fortification went live) and some dips attributed to the CPU. Normally it'd be a waste to upgrade a perfectly good CPU for a slightly better one, but when the 3d cache works it really works, and I can use the 5800X in my old PC with a 1700X I'm still using as a secondary computer. Heck the 1700X might go to my dad since he's still on haswell.

Anyway, if you are building a new PC these days and want to consider PS2 for performance, you can either go with an intel i5-13600K or higher, or the R7-5800X3D or R7-7800X3D. I wouldn't get anything lower end from AMD since the 3D cache helps a lot in this and a lot of other titles, and the Intel alternative is just raw clock speed and high single core performance. There's been a few benchmarks on reddit from a guy who runs one of each type of system side by side (afaik he puts two characters next to each other watching the same big fights) and while the Ryzen performed a bit better than the 13600K it was close. I think the main advantage to AMD is that it doesn't use as much power and produce as much heat, although neither company's CPUs are running that cool these days.

My jump from an 8700K to a 5950X along with RAM with tighter timings made quite a huge difference for me as well. Initially upgraded from a 1070 to a 6800 XT while still on the 8700K and while that definitely posted a noticeable improvement, the CPU and memory is what got me over the edge. I rarely see dips below 90 FPS in big clusterfuck fights now, too. It has to be a real hellzerg with tons of construction nearby to even drop below 60. I'm playing on ultra settings, as well. Shadows too.

Baron of Bad News fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 8, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Kind of a weird situation this morning, there's 3 continents open and 2 are way dominated by one faction and alerts seem to be turned off so the maps are getting polarized real hard

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kind of a weird situation this morning, there's 3 continents open and 2 are way dominated by one faction and alerts seem to be turned off so the maps are getting polarized real hard

Yeah that started last night on Emerald. Some streamers like Commander Cyrious and maybe some others did a FareWrel event at the shattered warpgate on Esamir, where the three factions built construction bases and fought there. So they turned off alerts for the night, but I'm betting the staff hosed off home for the weekend and didn't turn them back on. It was kind of terrible playing last night with no alerts, VS took all of Esamir while NC was pushing everyone on Indar, then VS came to Indar and was winning everything. With no alerts the zergs just tend to gain momentum and take over a large portion of the map.

The only real upside was fighting at some bases closer to the warpgates that you don't use that often. I'm hoping they turn alerts back on today, though.

The Planetside subreddit is going dark tomorrow because of the reddit API changes. It's one of the only things I check on reddit so RIP, I guess. At least this game has official forums?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

The three factions split up what is usually rolled into one single frankenstein monster of rightwing thought in the u.s.. To overexaggerate;

Vanu are religious nuts and tech bros that think they can escape their humanity with enough bleep bloop.

NC are trigger happy chaotic rednecks who have trouble separating individual freedom from corporate authoritarianism.

TR are the HAIL SATAN OORAH BLACK RIFLE COFFEE TURNER DIARIES NOW crew (and also Pale, who is a freakish screaming mascot, apparently).

In the modern u.s. those three are usually katamari'd together, PS2 breaks them up and we can see its the third that's the worst of them*. NC is fairly chill, I think. Once you learn you are herding cats, you learn the power of laser pointers (shooting small arms at a vehicle you want the blue berries to kill), and phrasing orders in /region chat as polite, pained requests. "PLEASE, can someone help with that loving magrider doing sniper headshots from over the hill, and also that mosquito with max jammers and chaff that's shooting people while doing reverse loop-de-loops?"

*I am still proud of the push back against someone who dropped the gamer word in chat; fellow blueberries jumped on him and reminded him "Hey hey, whoa, NC is regular racist, that's TR omega racist man."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 13, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

The VS carbine the VE-C Horizon (the one that shoots the multiple projectiles in a horizontal or vertical configuration based on ADS) is absolutely wild to use at range because it doesn't have any bloom while ADS

Are there other guns that are bloomless? Looks like the TR Heavy Mini-Chaingun kind of fits the bill though that's a experience of its own with a wide cone of fire

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The Naginata's cof is capped while you stand still.
Sorta related, the recoil of the Promise lmg gets less the longer you hold down lmb.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The VS carbine the VE-C Horizon (the one that shoots the multiple projectiles in a horizontal or vertical configuration based on ADS) is absolutely wild to use at range because it doesn't have any bloom while ADS

Are there other guns that are bloomless? Looks like the TR Heavy Mini-Chaingun kind of fits the bill though that's a experience of its own with a wide cone of fire

I'm not sure there's anything that's exactly like it. The Naginata LMG, like a lot of the NSX weapons, has a unique trait. Its trait is that bloom won't increase if you don't move while firing. I've found that you can kind of tap left or right strafe and it will settle back to low bloom but trying to move and shoot doesn't work. I've auraxed it a few times (NSO didn't have very many guns until the integration patch and I played mine a lot so I did the normal one, the platinum one, and the networked one, plus auraxed it on NC and VS) and it's pretty good, if different.

Here's SirCerealBox playing with it which of course is not representative of general play since he's really good, but I do like his videos and he shows using it with extended mags sometimes and a grip sometimes. 90 rounds normally and 135 with extended mags is nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVcnmtbQ7Lo

Some guns that have similar handling but not that exact mechanic would maybe be the three faction burst ARs that got added a few years ago. The Lacerta for VS, Arbalest for TR, and Vanquisher for NC. They're all a little different (and the arbalest was pretty poo poo until the gave it a pass a couple of years ago) but essentially they have a big, fairly accurate, burst fire only. It's not no bloom but the bloom is mostly part of the burst so you will usually be back to normal by the next shot unless you're really moving. The Lacerta can also use unstable ammo. Camikaze had a couple of video reviews of those from a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzQUiaqc7eA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0sYTGHs_ro

I think the NSO AR-N203 is supposed to be our version of that kind of thing but it's a bit like the PMG-3XB where it has automatic fire 3x bursts and it's... fine. Not as cool as the faction ARs.

There's also guns with interesting accuracy like the SABR-13 AR on TR, Promise LMG on NC, NSX Tanto. SABR-13 was the original burst AR that seemed pretty OP. MGR-L1 Promise
was one of the new wave of faction LMGs from a few years back, and it's got a lot of ammo and pretty tight aiming that lowers recoil while you shoot. I think I auraxed that first from almost any LMG on NC because I clicked with it (that was a long time ago) and I've actually auraxed it and the AE version as well from one of the anniversary packs. The Tanto has super tight aim but does bloom out a bit. I like it though, and SirCerealBox just uploaded a video of some older footage with it mostly being used hipfire to take advantage of its unique trait:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LYS0lgFh2E

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I appreciate y'alls advice. I went from an abysmal .4 K/D with the thousands of 'learning deaths' and did 1.6 today. :stare:

(Several of them were hilarious 'both sides surprised and panic fumbling for a side arm' thing)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was reading someone complain about the Larion PPC (NSO faction tank gun) killing bastions because it shoots through armor so I tried it out. It definitely works but you have to kind of find the hardpoints on the top by shooting at the bottom/sides and seek them out. I popped a bunch of components on bastions the last couple of days. Really effective, though. I can chew through a hardpoint in 10-12 hits or so when I find it. I expect they'll nerf it at some point because while I'm sure the Colossus does more damage with the skylance cannon, it's a lot more expensive and can be more easily countered. I can just plink at a bastion from around 1km+ away and be relatively safe.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I was reading someone complain about the Larion PPC (NSO faction tank gun) killing bastions because it shoots through armor so I tried it out. It definitely works but you have to kind of find the hardpoints on the top by shooting at the bottom/sides and seek them out. I popped a bunch of components on bastions the last couple of days. Really effective, though. I can chew through a hardpoint in 10-12 hits or so when I find it. I expect they'll nerf it at some point because while I'm sure the Colossus does more damage with the skylance cannon, it's a lot more expensive and can be more easily countered. I can just plink at a bastion from around 1km+ away and be relatively safe.

Yeah the low base damage on the Larion PPC gets amped pretty high by the bastion weak point modifier so it's a pretty solid game plan

I was sniping out the bottom hardpoints as Heavy Assault with the VS Lancer launcher at about 600 damage a pop and that took a good while

Sounds way easier than flying up on top of the Bastion and trying to C4 the bits or shoot it

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

New prime gaming code for some aircraft bling and a banner frame:
https://gaming.amazon.com/danger-zone-bundle/dp/amzn1.pg.item.7ed25238-4d4a-462d-bd99-04cba9b0cf2d

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

There's an infantry weapons sale going on this weekend and most of that doesn't catch my eye but there is a couple of eye raisers in that A7 stuff bought with DBC does unlock on everybody which is nice and also infantry tactical equipment like the Engineer turrets are on sale

Is anyone able to confirm if I slam on like a AV Engineer turret or hardlight barrier if that unlocks it for all characters' Engineers?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's an infantry weapons sale going on this weekend and most of that doesn't catch my eye but there is a couple of eye raisers in that A7 stuff bought with DBC does unlock on everybody which is nice and also infantry tactical equipment like the Engineer turrets are on sale

Is anyone able to confirm if I slam on like a AV Engineer turret or hardlight barrier if that unlocks it for all characters' Engineers?

It does! You still have to upgrade it in engineer certs for the cooldown or whatever on each character, but it's not that expensive. I've found I mostly use the auto turrets and hardlight barriers but if you need a mana turret it's nice to have it available.

A7 weapons also unlock for everyone but if you think you'll play for a while I'm not sure it's worth buying them for cash. I finished getting everything on Wrackwither in 2021 and got the last stuff on Vathic this year and so now they're capped at 5K A7 and the black market missions just give extra experience. It's not bad to have extra XP but it's like 5700 or something. Also, not that much in there is great or an upgrade from its base weapons. As I said before a couple of times, I love the Kuwa, Kappa, and Viscount. I use the Tranquility, Showdown, and SPRK's Stomper from time to time. I rarely use the Muramasa, Shortbow, Yawara, or Sesshin but they're not all bad or anything, I think the Yawara was the most disspointing (because while automatic it fires slowly and it's like the Pilot pistol which fires bursts). The Daredevil chassis is pretty cool if you want to to acrobatics and not have bad landings in your Harasser (since you can twist in the air). Infradine and the cardboard camo are cool but kind just, whatever. Havoc missiles aren't bad but using lockons playing air is pretty rare. Sometimes people shoot me with them but mostly on Connery where every pilot is a dickhead who goes after anyone leaving the warp gate in a big group, afaik.

One oddity is that since the Viscount didn't exist before the A7 system was added, many of its accessories require A7 to unlock. None of the rest of them are like that. The Kuwa, Kappa, Yawara, Muramasa, and Sesshin were originally auraxium weapons for NSO when NSO was in its initial freelance only stage from 2018-2021. The auraxium versions aren't available anymore but are NSX-A Weapon Name instead of NSX-Weapon Name. I only managed to get the NSX-A Kuwa but it's neat.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I like the shortbow quite a bit, I mostly play engineer so it's great for clearing MAXes out of a chokepoint when you can't keep your distance.

I don't understand the Viscount at all though. The Baron already has fairly low damage for a shotgun, why would you make it even lower for such a tiny, fringe benefit?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jabarto posted:

I like the shortbow quite a bit, I mostly play engineer so it's great for clearing MAXes out of a chokepoint when you can't keep your distance.

I don't understand the Viscount at all though. The Baron already has fairly low damage for a shotgun, why would you make it even lower for such a tiny, fringe benefit?

The shortbow is okay, I just don't use it that much between the stock AMR, XOXO AMR which is fun to shoot people with because it has little hearts, Hammerheard AMR (cosmetic variant from the arena pack), and the faction AMRs. It's not a must buy for me on alts, I mostly go Kuwa, Kappa, Viscount, then either Muramasa, Tranquility, Showdown, daredevil for the harasser, or whatever. Kind of depends what I think I might be doing. If you do missions you'll get everything eventually, it just depends how often you do them and if you have membership. With the 8 hour daily mission reset you can get A7 pretty fast if you're grinding, although I mostly just do missions once a day and leave it at that.

As for the Viscount, I like it because it's silenced and has more ammo. It's similar to the baron in overall performance but yes, it does a little less damage. I primarily use it as an engineer secondary weapon (with ASP to unlock that) and add the comfort grip to make it faster to switch to. I've been trying flechette ammo over slugs for a week or two and in some cases it's worthwhile.

The other thing about the viscount is that NSO only have the SG-100 (default semi-auto), SG-A25 (auto), HSG-400 (sort of a pump) and Baron as shotgun directive weapons. The Viscount is our fifth shotgun unless you want to buy a black or gold baron. It's weird that it counts but I think that's why they added it with Integration.

Anyway, guns aside I had this extremely lucky little sequence of events the other day in which mines and grenades were my savior. I was kind of shocked how lucky I got and how useless the NC near me were since they weren't helping. I was going to just redeploy assuming the base was won but you can see I got lucky with what I assume is fall protection from my initial drop pod in (although it lasted a long time if so), lucky with mines, and lucky with a grenade throw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCjhr4KAIc

I had been popping heads with the BAR-200 before that which is why recursion was going off about the kill streak but that wasn't that interesting.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

It does! You still have to upgrade it in engineer certs for the cooldown or whatever on each character, but it's not that expensive. I've found I mostly use the auto turrets and hardlight barriers but if you need a mana turret it's nice to have it available.

Speaking of Spitfire turrets, what's the best way to deal with them as a non Infiltrator? On Infiltrator I can EMP nade or hack them and other classes just have to mag dump which isn't hard but takes attention away from the rest of the folks on the point

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Speaking of Spitfire turrets, what's the best way to deal with them as a non Infiltrator? On Infiltrator I can EMP nade or hack them and other classes just have to mag dump which isn't hard but takes attention away from the rest of the folks on the point

If you're playing heavy, you can hit them with one rocket, or kill the person first then the turret. It helps to peek a room you're going in to see if there's a turret ahead of time and you can often unpeek before they see you (but not always). They do okay damage but I rarely die to them unless they get a single lucky hit in or an engineer is running robotics tech implant or something to buff them. Some folks also run the Avoidance implant, although it's exceptional so you may not have it. I've seen a number of light assault mains who like to just stomp tower bases with sensor shield and avoidance so they don't get hit by mines or auto turrets. They can also be lethal in a point room in combination with mines around the entrances, where if you survive the mine the turret will get you.

The turrets themselves not being super dangerous is fine, the main use I find for them is notification that someone is nearby and they turn to point in the direction they see someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Little PTS update coming. I suspect they'll do a small patch with this stuff and the Summer Fun event soon since the Soldier Soaker is up in the store with Coming Soon on it.
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/june-21-pts-notes-2023

quote:

JUNE 21, 2023 - PTS UPDATE

The following are changes, fixes and additions to the latest PTS build that will be available tomorrow.
(stay tuned to our Twitter account for delivery time updates). This thread will be opened for discussion tomorrow after the PTS update goes live.

Download the Test Server client from this thread after reading the Test Server Policies: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/read-first-test-server-policies-download-link.114038/

Leave your feedback on our pts patch notes forum post here.

---

Seeking to increase the options and variety of implants available, we've gone ahead and added 7 new implants for the battlefield. Check them out below!

New Implants
Take a Walk
Your movement is not impeded when underwater. Weapon behavior is unchanged. MAX units can equip.

Juggernaut
Melee attacks knock enemies away a short distance. MAX only.

Living on the Edge
When your health drops below 20% your accuracy increases by 5/7/10/12/15% for 5/5/7/10/12 seconds.

Rapid Response
While wielding a beneficial construction module your sprint speed is increased by 7/10/13/15/15%. At max rank, the unequip times of beneficial construction modules is reduced by 50%.

Air Drop
Upon exiting a vehicle Jump Jet recharge rate is increased by 7/7/7/7/10% for 5/7/8.5/10/12 seconds. 20 second cooldown after triggering. Light Assault only.

Each time you revive an ally a charge is added to Karma. At 30/27/24/20/20 charges, your next death allows you to self-revive once at 50/50/50/50/100% health. Redeploying or using an equipment terminal will wipe your current progress. Combat Medic only.

Overcharge
While overshield is active your primary weapon's bullets will now pierce through one infantry target before stopping at the cost of 30/25/20/15/15% of your overshield uptime. Heavy Assault only. At max rank, this will also affect the bullets of secondary weapons.

UI Changes
Added ability to toggle off HUD Indicator Waypoints.
Added ability to toggle off HUD Indicator Nameplates.
Added terminal icons to deployment interface for construction bases.

Bug Fixes
Mining and depositing cortium will again provide experience.
Oshur meltdown alert should no longer be able to start while the continent is locked.
NS-D Helios will correctly play its reload animation in first person when switching to alternate fire mode with under 50 ammo in the magazine.
Fix for intermittent flicker on certain shield shaders.

I'm kind of psyched for new implants, I've got all of them except like one on two characters. None of these seem super strong but that's usually good for implants.