Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the best super is ramlethal's reversal super. 2 frames are all you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Luke Super is sweet because the other guy gets to throw a punch and that makes it cooler.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
from all the vids out there, Fatal blows have way longer start up and flash the screen telling you it is coming allowing you to way more easily block them. So they might simply be less common as a result as you have to work them into combos or something.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Put up a vid about my time with MK1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK0RLV5dqnM

I get more into the weeds on proper gameplay stuff than everyone else it would seem. I also got to talk to Stephanie Brownback a bit which informed some of my knowledge of the game.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Some of strive's supers are too long but I like the majority.

SF6's feel way too long. I know I got hit I just wanna play, don't need to rub it in my face they're all kinda too aggro like that too.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

I get more into the weeds on proper gameplay stuff than everyone else it would seem. I also got to talk to Stephanie Brownback a bit which informed some of my knowledge of the game.

Looks good, I am less skeptical of the Kameos than I was. Thanks for the video! I actually liked MK11 so I'm pretty interested in MK1

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Evil Canadian posted:

After seeing this and Max's reception I'm definitely looking forward to MK12 now. The blandness of MK11's gameplay was a real bummer and at a bare minimum this game looks like a blast to lab

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Max's video is up, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8jilAUXl4I

Holy poo poo, between SF6, MK1, Tekken 8 and the looming spectre of Project L?

That man is about to be DECEASED.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

Thanks for this. It definitely makes the game look better than I was expecting. That jump in parry is sorta wild.

Definitely won't blow it off out of hand after that.

I predict poo poo balance though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I do like that Jax's Kameo ground pound will friendly fire. From an animation standpoint Kano pushing the player out of the way for his beam special is neat. It's still ridiculous that someone could potentially survive the entirety of a Fatal Blow.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Max's video is up, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8jilAUXl4I

Holy poo poo, between SF6, MK1, Tekken 8 and the looming spectre of Project L?

That man is about to be DECEASED.

He also did a FF16 event today, so you can throw in that and FF7 Rebirth into that pile lol

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

codo27 posted:

I've only played a very limited amount of Tekken but I'd love to get into it, but it just feels too daunting. Kinda the same with SF but the beta gave me hope I might be able to do ok, but stringing combos together is going to be the hard part.

Saying this is going to do the opposite effect, but the execution to do your moves and combos is by far the easiest part. The hard part is learning when and where to use those combos and adjusting your timing and strategy based on your opponent which can and will take a lifetime of learning and improvement. The real step one is deciding you want to walk down that road and it won’t matter how easy the execution is if you want to keep going down that path.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

codo27 posted:

I've only played a very limited amount of Tekken but I'd love to get into it, but it just feels too daunting. Kinda the same with SF but the beta gave me hope I might be able to do ok, but stringing combos together is going to be the hard part.

SF has a full SP mode to tutorialize you step by step, and an ease of use control scheme, and actual color coding and timing bars in practice mode to help you learn your combos. As a 41 year old scrub who hadn't played SF since Turbo and had no clue how the combo system worked I was setting up my super cancels within 2 days or so. There's is no easier time to get going with SF than now if you want to.

Tekken is a whole different kettle of fish; they will probably try and improve the new player learning tools again with 8, and they will probably fail at it mostly, again. Good news is that the community has long since picked up the slack and between the discords, beginner guides and in depth character looks there is and will be hosts of decent learning material around for Tekken. Just gotta accept that it is a big game that will take a good amount of time to really get comfortable with. If you want to play it, just start.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Mk1 has some hilariously ugly dash cancels lol. I hope they keep it in

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like it when I have to put in some extra effort to make a cool animation play.

IKs were a good mechanic.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like to take a breather and reconsider my game plan for 10 seconds every time I take a lvl3 super in the middle of the round.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

poe meater posted:

Mk1 has some hilariously ugly dash cancels lol. I hope they keep it in

That's just the NRS jank, all their games look good in still images and horrible in motion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reiley posted:

Luke pounding a prone fighter in the face over and over while he's got that look in his eye like he's flashing back to January 6th
why are americans like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zangief doing piledrivers like hes remembering the russo-japanese war

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its so disgusting that when dee jay does his super he turns directly to the camera and discusses the particulars of operation urgent fury

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

They love politics over there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

G yelling JET FUEL CANT MELT STEEL BEAMS every time he did a special was pretty weird

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like to take a breather and reconsider my game plan for 10 seconds every time I take a lvl3 super in the middle of the round.

I was playing +R the other day and I still instinctively smashed all four buttons to activate IK mode when I dizzied the other guy with 100 meter. I was impressed that was still in the back of my mind

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Gotta admit equating mma ground pound stuff to Jan 6 ptsd (???) is a new one, to this American.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In this case, I think Luke was intending to be flashing back in a positive way, with the implication that he was party to the events

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WywK0crlHTY

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

In this case, I think Luke was intending to be flashing back in a positive way, with the implication that he was party to the events

Yeah that’s dumb!
——
Speaking of dumb, here is a question for the thread: my thumb kinda hurts after only an hour, maybe two on a good day using controller (Xbox series x). Is this just kinda how it is unless on a fancier pad or am I just holding the thing wrong. I’ve got a history of thumb damage not related to gaming so I’m wondering if a dedicated peripheral for fgs is a good idea if I end up sticking with them particularly sf6.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yes, but it will get better with time as you get used to it and your skin hardens.

If it still bothers you, consider alternative controller (it was what pushed me over to try leverless).

[edit] this was in response to guy compaining about thumb pain

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Anyone got tips against Manon? I play DeeJay and she's one of my worst matchups for some reason. Her limbs are so long that I have a hard time punishing some of her moves.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

G yelling JET FUEL CANT MELT STEEL BEAMS every time he did a special was pretty weird

okay but what if G did in fact shout out a random conspiracy theory every time he did a super. let him get weird with. let's hear about the hollow earth that he's also the president of.

https://twitter.com/ADHD2I/status/1510124105890242564

dhamster posted:

Anyone got tips against Manon? I play DeeJay and she's one of my worst matchups for some reason. Her limbs are so long that I have a hard time punishing some of her moves.

If you block either of her vacuum combos (5 HP -> HP or 5 MP -> MK) she's super negative (-8 and -5 respectively) so just do whatever. Also if she keeps going for 5 HP she can't special cancel out of it so she's vulnerable to DI - although she can super cancel. e: also anything that's completely invulnerable on startup can still beat out a lot of the post-vacuum mix. this is JP's EX parry but you get the idea. If she keeps throwing out the mid screen spinning low (214 LK) block it and it's -24. The overhead variant (214 HK) is -9 but you'd have to check and see if you have a tool that can punish due to the pushback.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 11, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why does kameo Kano look like a cross between Patrick Stewart and Bono

MK2 kameo Jax looks like the new cohost of Mike Tysons podcast, some football player I think

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's true. The more Kano looks like a scuzzy Trevor Goddard, the better.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Endorph posted:

I was told by someone that Luke "looked like a white supremacist" so I'm not sure what words mean any more.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I am loving JP. Gotta get better using his anti-air, counter special, and throw escapes but it's so fun just launching people across the screen and watching them struggle to get back in. I've just been farting around in casual matches but just using drive meter puts you ahead of most people I'm finding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/femboy_fighting/status/1667608990639955968?t=p19jWjIVSxVUYg7-eJ38eA&s=19

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

Yeah that’s dumb!
——
Speaking of dumb, here is a question for the thread: my thumb kinda hurts after only an hour, maybe two on a good day using controller (Xbox series x). Is this just kinda how it is unless on a fancier pad or am I just holding the thing wrong. I’ve got a history of thumb damage not related to gaming so I’m wondering if a dedicated peripheral for fgs is a good idea if I end up sticking with them particularly sf6.

In my experience, I have never had thumb pain using my playstation pads nor do I get any callouses. Are you trying the dpad or the analog stick? Maybe try the other.

You probably need to take frequent breaks since you got a history.

I never used a xbox series x controller but the old 360 controller was probably the most uncomfortable dpad I ever used for fighting games. Other people use it fine though.

Maybe borrow/try a different controller.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah sonicfox seemed super strong in the Twitch Rivals day 1, looking forward to seeing how that Top 8 plays out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Eot9ACDl4

Also lol the first line from UltraDavid "JP is basically an Injustice character"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 11, 2023

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

codo27 posted:

Why does kameo Kano look like a cross between Patrick Stewart and Bono

MK2 kameo Jax looks like the new cohost of Mike Tysons podcast, some football player I think

Kameo Kano definitely looks way too clean cut, he needs a five o'clock shadow at least

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes, but it will get better with time as you get used to it and your skin hardens.

If it still bothers you, consider alternative controller (it was what pushed me over to try leverless).

[edit] this was in response to guy compaining about thumb pain

thank you! I have been contemplating leverless though they look pricey, and out of stock atm.

poe meater posted:

In my experience, I have never had thumb pain using my playstation pads nor do I get any callouses. Are you trying the dpad or the analog stick? Maybe try the other.

You probably need to take frequent breaks since you got a history.

I never used a xbox series x controller but the old 360 controller was probably the most uncomfortable dpad I ever used for fighting games. Other people use it fine though.

Maybe borrow/try a different controller.

thanks for the advice!

I actually tried the 360 controller first and it was much worse lol. didn't like my other options as much either. I'll attempt analog stick but it does not feel good in terms of execution to me. However that's better than numbing my thumb out for days/weeks (been there). this is why I started to think about leverless or fancy fg specific pads but I need to stick with sf6 for a bit to justify dropping a couple hundred to myself.

I am definitely taking frequent breaks now! It's not like I'm losing hot streaks or anything at my skill level lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
It was a strange move by Capcom to put basically their worst character design ever in a street fighter game on the cover