Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Gentlemen, we are in a recession (of cardboard boxes)

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/cardboard-box-demand-plunging-at-rates-unseen-since-the-great-recession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Guess the bigwigs down at the box factory aren’t doing so well.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I needed to get some TV moving boxes from Uhaul, and they sat on the order then said they're no longer offered. The box recession is real! I had to pay twice the Uhaul price for the Lowes equivalent.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Rare contrarian day for the market. Big tech down, small caps and energy up.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Might not be a recession indicator, last thing I ordered just had a label slapped on it. I guess that's definitely greener, we don't need 4 layers of cardboard on everything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also I think cardboard is getting more expensive.

It's almost as though manufacturers respond to price pressure

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I’m surprised Amazon doesn’t use reusable totes. Should be much better for me sick of busting down those boxes into the recycling

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baddog posted:

Might not be a recession indicator, last thing I ordered just had a label slapped on it. I guess that's definitely greener, we don't need 4 layers of cardboard on everything.

Two different packages for my wife arrived not long ago, both in that alarmingly durable white plastic bag amazon has been using. Further upthread someone quotes amazon having 30% of the retail market share, and pretty sure that bag has printed on it "this bag generates 90% less waste (and costs half as much)!" or something. Also mortgage originations are at a 20 year low so people might be moving less. Our most recent move consumed ~180-200 boxes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna take a wild guess and suggest that product packaging and shipping consumes at least two, maybe three or four orders of magnitude more cardboard than people moving house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably two. It's still a very reliable part of the baseline

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baddog posted:

This is actually pretty Incredible.

This is nuts to me I had no idea it was that high.

I was actually really down on Amazon recently because IMO the shopping experience has become so bad, but man I dunno, given that number, maybe I'm a lunatic and should reconsider my stance on them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Elephanthead posted:

I’m surprised Amazon doesn’t use reusable totes. Should be much better for me sick of busting down those boxes into the recycling

I like Amazon boxes for the garden, they have as little tape and labeling as possible so it’s easy to use them to block out weeds or grass.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Where the hell are we headed with the VIX this low?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Leperflesh posted:

21% of commercial mortgages does not mean 21% of the total net value of all commercial mortgages: it could be (probably is) a number that skews towards some market segments more than others. So we cannot even use that "very simplified math" to infer that the overall market should be down that same 21% in market value, e.g. loss of dollar value across the whole commercial RE mortgage market.

Brookfield starred to default on some mortgages on high end buildings last month because it’s not worth it for them anymore

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Agronox posted:

does anyone in this thread trade stocks anymore :mad:

I'm buying some TGT on Monday

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

https://bfy.tw/Szrv

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Femtosecond posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Nkhk7i0.gifv

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol that was the thing that popped into my head

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Glencore just wants to buy the coal mines for Teck now, my position will final pay off.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hi, invite to BFC discord?

My stock picks for this week is simply buying calls. I say having closed all my longs.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm buying some TGT on Monday

Did you follow through? Up from 125 -> 133 in just the 2 days since

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
that's a recovery for ants. I want 160 minimum

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Toalpaz posted:

Hi, invite to BFC discord?

My stock picks for this week is simply buying calls. I say having closed all my longs.

https://discord.gg/m88ZjWQy

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Money losing fast casual restaurant CAVA +99% on IPO day

Picked a pretty good week to IPO apparently

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
If the market continues its run today, I will break even on the money I parked in VTSAX 2 years ago because it “wasn’t doing anything in my bank account.”

So buy puts and get ready for freefall, you’re welcome.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/InvestRoiss/status/1670219688041693184?s=20

good thread here, quality advice

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Elysium posted:

If the market continues its run today, I will break even on the money I parked in VTSAX 2 years ago because it “wasn’t doing anything in my bank account.”
Time in the market!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Market seems frothy. Bought some t-bills expiring in 4 months at 5.3% yield. Buy t-bills in May June and stay away.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Powell was talking this morning, that'll always get the market to whip around a bit.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

T-bills are great, I've been putting all of my short-term cash savings into staggered 4-week T-bills. 5% and change yield and no state taxes.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

T-bills are great, I've been putting all of my short-term cash savings into staggered 4-week T-bills. 5% and change yield and no state taxes.

tax equivalent yield on the last one I bought was nearly 6%

:ca:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Shear Modulus posted:

Very stupid question: How do you buy these? On Treasury Direct or through a brokerage?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I buy them in my brokerage account on Fidelity. They're probably be under "fixed income" or "individual bonds" or something similar on your brokerage. Then you have to find the page to buy new T-bills at auction instead of off the secondary market. The bond interface is a lot clunkier than the one for equity trading.

I think Treasurydirect is probably simpler but I haven't used it for anything but I-bonds.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Very stupid question: How do you buy these? On Treasury Direct or through a brokerage?

Both are possible.

Buying in a brokerage is advantageous because you can sell on the secondary market, and you are probably already getting a tax document from them, so its one less thing to look at when doing taxes.

Buying on TreasuryDirect is advantageous because they have good autorolling ability, and you can schedule purchases for future auctions.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Any ideas if I can buy these through Ally Invest? I have no idea what to look for on there.

I suppose I could also buy them on E-Trade but I've got a bunch of cash sitting in the high yield savings account

drk
Jan 16, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Any ideas if I can buy these through Ally Invest? I have no idea what to look for on there.

I suppose I could also buy them on E-Trade but I've got a bunch of cash sitting in the high yield savings account

Ally says bonds are available which almost certainly includes treasuries, but there is a fee

E-trade possibly also has a fee (maybe not for auctions / new issues)

Depending on how short term you buy, those fees could eat up a lot of your interest. So... maybe just use $SGOV?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Need to lock in some more very near risk free 5% for as long as possible. Should have put more in those Schwab CDs.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I'm so expecting some sort of big tech pullback from the highs here that I'm feeling paralyzed by indecision and unable to do anything.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Baddog posted:

Need to lock in some more very near risk free 5% for as long as possible. Should have put more in those Schwab CDs.

A couple of Schwab's corporate bonds are yielding around 5.6% for 2027 maturities. I dont think I'd describe corporate bonds as very near risk free, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Baddog posted:

What duration? Don't you think interest rates are going to go higher or are you expecting a tapering?