Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Living on the Edge plus Carapace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Garbage. Living in the Edge is a tiny few-seconds buff for the cost of being a shot from death. Even with carapace it's poo poo.

15% better accuracy. Can you even see that?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Garbage. Living in the Edge is a tiny few-seconds buff for the cost of being a shot from death. Even with carapace it's poo poo.

15% better accuracy. Can you even see that?

In theory with an aux shield things that would have killed you instead give you a nice hipfire buff or help tighten your cone of fire on a long LMG blaze

In practice I'm still going to run Sidewinder and Regeneration and Survivalist and Heavyweight and Battle Hardened instead

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Would Living on the Edge let you heal and keep the buff for the duration, or does it wear off as soon as your health goes above 20%?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cmdrk posted:

Would Living on the Edge let you heal and keep the buff for the duration, or does it wear off as soon as your health goes above 20%?

I'm not sure how they'll implement it, but generally with most of the other implants that trigger and have a buff duration based on time, the buff stays for the whole timer. Most of them don't last too long so it's of dubious overall value in an implant slot but, for example, Survivalist remains a popular implant because of the heal over time and speed buff you get from when your shield pops. It does what it says and gives you a better chance for survival.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

About a month ago I made a new character just to see if I could actually maintain a 2+ KDR and yeah, it's totally doable if I focus on that. I've mostly been playing HA, LA, and Infil. I don't like playing medic even though it's not that bad, but I hate chasing people around trying to heal them. I love playing engineer but I feel like to maximize KDR playing engineer you have to get good at putting down mines and it's always a bit risky and nanite intensive. Love the CB-X75, though.
https://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=quipped&show=statistics

I don't think it's something I want to focus on most of the time since I like playing the objectives and finishing missions rather than just playing to rack up kills, but one thing I've noticed is that after a session of playing Quipped where I'm just trying to most efficiently gun people down, I then tend to do better on Wrackwither or my other characters I settle in on. Certainly doesn't hurt to train yourself to be better at infantry, I guess. Last night I had to push to get Quipped to over 2 KDR without revives before I logged out (the BAR-200 is my farming machine) and then I went on a 3 KDR run for the next hour session or so on Wrackwither. I did discover after reconfiguring it a bit that I really enjoy the AR-101 on NSO, it's very accurate.

My plan for Quipped is to aurax the NS-15M1, then the NS-15M2, then the NS-15MB which I bought on the 40% off sale. Then I'll probably do the Naginata and I'll only have to deal with one NSO LMG to get the Galilei. Probably just go with the XMG-100 since it's my least disliked of the three and most similar to the Galilei. I'm going to have a hard time with anything else. I just auraxed the CB-100 on wrackwither but I really don't like it. The CB-X75 and CB-200 are pretty good, though.

Worst thing about a new character is the lack of implants. Fortunately I had a bunch of the Perfect ones from bundles so while I've been working on sweeper hud, sensor shield, survivalist, etc, I've been able to use perfect infravision, avoidance, and counter intelligence which seem to cover a lot of my bases. The downside of no sensor shield is everyone knows you're coming, but the upside to running something like avoidance is that I've surprised a lot of infils and engineers who seemed to expect me to die to mines or autoturrets.

All of the side tracking onto a new character does slow down work on directives on other characters but one of the cool things about planetside 2 is that there's a million things to do and no real right way to play it. I think people who always play maxes/stalker infils/ESF pilots are weird and don't think it's fun myself but the neat thing about the game is there's a lot of variety.

edit: With the summer fun event coming back here's a repost of my 2021 soldier soaker video from messing around on Connery. It's a pistol with one big ammo well that can't be refilled except by refreshing your loadout from an inventory station. The damage is fine, it's semiauto, it's not super accurate but it has no team damage and seems to be silent, so it can be fun. The mega soldier soakers are not very good. Effectively like a thumper but you can use them as a primary weapon on a LA. I bought one last year and while they might be worth 1000 certs for fun, I wouldn't spend the $5 (or however much they'll cost). There's also water balloon grenades for like 1 cert or something that are fine. Usually the summer fun event lasts a while but also has pretty high directive requirements for the top end which only gives a title and a banner or something. One of the directives is to kill people with water weaponry. We'll see what they do this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4lYicDp9U

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 23, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

quote:

Each time you revive an ally a charge is added to Karma. At 30/27/24/20/20 charges, your next death allows you to self-revive once at 50/50/50/50/100% health. Redeploying or using an equipment terminal will wipe your current progress. Combat Medic only.

I see a lot of lonely medics driving across the map in the near future.

Also thanks to the tips here, I finally had a day where I was well north of 1 K/D/A for the first time :toot:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sorry whichever goon I shot and talked to me in yell chat, I didn't see it for a bit! To tell the truth the first kill off the jump pad landing was kind of luck since the bullets had a really small path between some rocks and stuff to hit you. Luckily the Galilei blasts out 750 RPM!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Rexxed posted:

Sorry whichever goon I shot and talked to me in yell chat, I didn't see it for a bit! To tell the truth the first kill off the jump pad landing was kind of luck since the bullets had a really small path between some rocks and stuff to hit you. Luckily the Galilei blasts out 750 RPM!

Hah that was me. I think I got 3 deaths to you in a row at that lil esamir fight. I'd like to say my night picked up after but it was a bad session lol.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I've got my VS Harasser just about complete. Scrapper chassis, Auto-repair, Fire Suppression with the Pariah. It's a fun buggy to tool around in with a good gunner.

My buddy and I were getting absolutely SMOKED a few times by another Harasser who was using a Walker. is it really that good against other light vehicles? Or is it just something about our engagement ranges etc? I thought it was mostly an AA weapon.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cmdrk posted:

I've got my VS Harasser just about complete. Scrapper chassis, Auto-repair, Fire Suppression with the Pariah. It's a fun buggy to tool around in with a good gunner.

My buddy and I were getting absolutely SMOKED a few times by another Harasser who was using a Walker. is it really that good against other light vehicles? Or is it just something about our engagement ranges etc? I thought it was mostly an AA weapon.

The walker is an interesting weapon. It's considered an AA weapon, but it doesn't have the big flak burst effect like the Ranger which makes it nearly exclusively good against air. Instead, it's more like an accurate machinegun with low damage falloff and high velocity so you can kind of blast stuff down at range. The main thing that makes it an AA weapon is just that it can't point down very far, it's got a limited gun depression. I could see in harasser vs. harasser if you're on an open field or doing a lot of hill dancing that if your opponent just kept peppering you at range they'd do pretty well. The pariah does more damage but fires more slowly and has lower muzzle velocity so it's not as quick to hit.
https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/G30_Walker
https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/V42_Pariah-H

I like the walker a lot and I often use a sunderer loadout with one bulldog for close vehicles/lightnings and one walker for dissuading air or shooting LAs or whatever. It's also worth looking at the weapon upgrades for magazine size or reload speed since those can make a big difference in prolonged fights.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

cmdrk posted:

Walker counts as a anti-air machine gun and does 33% more damage to Harassers than Pariah does (80% damage resist on a Harasser vs Anti-Air MG vs the Heavy Machine Gun 85% resist)

To shake it up vs other Harassers on VS you might want to try the Aphelion VEX-4H because it counts as a Gatling gun and does about double the damage to Harassers and about 25% more to Sunderers and MBTs (60% resist on Harassers and 75% resist on Sundies/MBTs vs Gatling Guns compared to 80% on HMGs) and if you can deal with the spool up you can get a whammy with the energy crescent

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
slightly off topic thought like most of my posts in this thread but being a good harasser duo is really harder than it seems. when you're getting shot by a harasser it seems like they're total bullet sponges but when you're actually inside of it you feel like 3 bullets will destroy you haha. figuring out how to communicate effectively with your driver/gunner isn't as easy as it seems, also!

it is very very fun when you start getting the hang of it, though. it's unfortunate that finding decent fights for harassers is kind of difficult on emerald I've found, there's always so many armor columns whenever I've tried that it was just pointless

also, I don't know if they've patched it since I last did it but the stealth ability for flashes is loving hilarious. i could actually maintain a really high kd and kpm running it just mowing people in open fields down, lmao. I recommend everyone tries it at least once

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 27, 2023

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
thanks for the advice pals! the problem now is that harasser is too fun and I'm having less fun with foot soldier stuff solo :v:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm retuning my Destroy Everything loadout with the little flash instead of cortium bomb since it's a construction module now. I think this will be more effective (although I whiffed that last one but it provided me cover to rocket him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N7yJaZMJ3M

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Rexxed posted:

The walker is an interesting weapon. It's considered an AA weapon, but it doesn't have the big flak burst effect like the Ranger which makes it nearly exclusively good against air. Instead, it's more like an accurate machinegun with low damage falloff and high velocity so you can kind of blast stuff down at range. The main thing that makes it an AA weapon is just that it can't point down very far, it's got a limited gun depression. I could see in harasser vs. harasser if you're on an open field or doing a lot of hill dancing that if your opponent just kept peppering you at range they'd do pretty well. The pariah does more damage but fires more slowly and has lower muzzle velocity so it's not as quick to hit.
https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/G30_Walker
https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/V42_Pariah-H

I like the walker a lot and I often use a sunderer loadout with one bulldog for close vehicles/lightnings and one walker for dissuading air or shooting LAs or whatever. It's also worth looking at the weapon upgrades for magazine size or reload speed since those can make a big difference in prolonged fights.

I'm getting frustrated by rando drivers mounting halberds on all their harassers and MBTs and getting angry when us random blueberries you demand hop into your ride can't hit individual infantry at 100+ meters as they do 1080 flips up random ravines and cliffs.

I made the mistake of jumping on with one of those dudes that basically lives in a liberator and he never stopped barrel rolling (both horizontally and vertically, mixing and matching at random). I've never gotten carsick from a video game before but there we were.

zeldadude posted:

slightly off topic thought like most of my posts in this thread but being a good harasser duo is really harder than it seems. when you're getting shot by a harasser it seems like they're total bullet sponges but when you're actually inside of it you feel like 3 bullets will destroy you haha. figuring out how to communicate effectively with your driver/gunner isn't as easy as it seems, also!

it is very very fun when you start getting the hang of it, though. it's unfortunate that finding decent fights for harassers is kind of difficult on emerald I've found, there's always so many armor columns whenever I've tried that it was just pointless

also, I don't know if they've patched it since I last did it but the stealth ability for flashes is loving hilarious. i could actually maintain a really high kd and kpm running it just mowing people in open fields down, lmao. I recommend everyone tries it at least once

It is me, the rear end in a top hat engineer who has that little flash you can put in your inventory who will run and hide around hill sides taking anti-material shots at smoking harassers trying to repair.

Rexxed posted:

I'm retuning my Destroy Everything loadout with the little flash instead of cortium bomb since it's a construction module now. I think this will be more effective (although I whiffed that last one but it provided me cover to rocket him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N7yJaZMJ3M

i've been experimenting doing this with increasingly large vehicles and wondering how far maxed out engineer c-4 will do on the nose of a fighter/valk one jumps out off moments before impact to detonate it.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 28, 2023

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I don't know if it still works but you used to be able to put the TR claymore mine on the rear wheel hub of a flash, pointed outwards, and then trigger them by pulling up next to someone.

The flash is pretty much what's kept me playing all these years. Even with the nerf to the cloaking module you can still do hilarious stuff.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Little update today, mostly fixes for stuff as well as the ability to change the HUD indictors more permanently. I'm used to how it is now but I saw someone on youtube mention they'd have to run slash commands every time they log in to remove nameplates which was their preferred way to play.

https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/june-28-pc-notes-2023

quote:

UI Changes
Added ability to toggle off HUD Indicator Waypoints
Added ability to toggle off HUD Indicator Nameplates
Added terminal icons to deployment interface for construction bases

Bug Fixes
Mining and depositing cortium will again provide experience.
Oshur meltdown alert should no longer be able to start while the continent is locked.
NS-D Helios will correctly play its reload animation in first person when switching to alternate fire mode with under 50 ammo in the magazine.
Fix for intermittent flicker on certain shield shaders
Fix for deployed vehicles that could still display despawn timers in some situations.
Fix for loyalty gain notifications always showing +0
Note that this was a display issue only. Players were earning loyalty as expected.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/june-29-2023-pts-update.261416/

PTS is getting an update, they're iterating on the new implants that didn't make the last cut and Flail/OS/Glaive are getting the long promised targeting lasers

quote:

New Construction Targeting Lasers

Targeting Darts for the Glaive, Flail, and Orbital Strike Uplink have been retired
Glaive, Flail, and Orbital Strike Uplink now use a Targeting Laser to paint their targets
Acquire Time: 3000ms
Min Distance (from player): 20m
Max Distance (from player): 150m
Targets must be approximately 175m away from the related artillery piece (this range is unchanged).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/june-29-2023-pts-update.261416/

PTS is getting an update, they're iterating on the new implants that didn't make the last cut and Flail/OS/Glaive are getting the long promised targeting lasers

It's nice to see them working on something with multiple passes instead of just putting it in the game barely tested. Most of those implant changes sound reasonable. It'd be nice if they gave old implants they gutted a pass, especially some of the exceptional ones that are nigh-useless now like Phylactery or Symbiote (well, that one wasn't exceptional), the always useless experimental stims or some of the other ones. There's also weird ones like Cold Heart that just seem to be a weird design. I think that one originally let your heat based items cool down faster like the engineer tool and some VS weapons and got reworked to make you take less damage from fire effects (which are rare outside of the recent helios spam), and be less detectable. But, for the latter, you'd just use sensor shield most of the time anyway.

I've mentioned liking the BAR-200 in a few posts and I grabbed some footage from recent days. In these clips I'm using the 1X, suppressor, and the heavy magazine for these but the latter adds 5 ammo bringing the gun to 25 shots. I feel like I should drop it for high velocity ammo since 20 rounds is already a lot and consider a higher power scope and hope that the hipfire which is hurt by the heavy mag is improved a bit. I've toyed with it with the 3.4X on Wrackwither when I use the BAR-200 as a medic secondary but haven't come to any conclusions yet. I think that battle hardened might help in some situations if I'm taking return fire but you can kind of see I just get out of the way when that happens most of the time anyway. It usually kills in 3-4 hits and it feels like with the suppressor most people don't even notice the first one. I'd probably do better in the medium to long range with a higher power scope so I can hit more headshots. It already feels better than most of the semi-auto sniper rifles.

You'll also see me stopping to let my cloak charge up a bit. I've noticed some client hysteresis when you manually uncloak and the client tries to auto-uncloak you due to the energy running out. I've had fights where I manually uncloak and fire one smg round and then get recloaked by the client and then try to manually uncloak and then it uncloaks and recloaks me and I'm dead by that point. I turned off auto-uncloak on fire due to similar problems in the past. Anyway, the work around seems to be to either just let your cloak run out on its own which is dangerous or just try to get somewhere to charge it up more and keep it higher than 10% most of the time if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYj68ZwnyKU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
This is why I could never be a pro gamer, those shadowless screenshots hurt my soul

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I used to just use infravision now and then. Now I'm more infravision than man. Parents, don't let your kids use infravision. This could be peak gaming for them:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

You're leaving out the part where you are blind past 175meters and just kind of guessing for 150-175. And also being unable to read terminals to see if mashing E is doing anything. That said, its painful trying to hunt snipers around Nasan's Defiance without it.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 2, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

This is the one game I've played that had infravision where it didn't feel mandatory to use the infravision which is nice

Between the darklight flashlights and the vehicle night vision scopes there's even decent non-infravision night time options

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

After doing the settings changes recommended by a lot of the infantry players, like the performance guide by Baddie I linked a while back, players are a lot easier to spot without it. I think I was using it a lot before I did those, though, and went through a period where I'd mostly use it on Hossin to see people in the brush since it's a bit harder to spot them there, especially VS since the grey from their main clothing color kind of blends in. I was also getting a lower frame rate and stuff at the time, though, and still changing my settings around. I even went through a period when I had the 2x scope on everything and had battle hardened on many loadouts where those were not really needed. I spent a long time playing without medical kits, even, although that was years ago.

I do feel like the inability to see infiltrators or cloaked sundies until you blunder into their cloaking field hurts with infravision, but it is kind of balanced with easily being able to spot tiny body parts that are exposed from cover now and then and spot people before they spot you in a lot of situations.

One funny thing about the NV and threat detect on vehicle weapons is that during the game's first year or two, NV and IR were different viewfinders that would pick up infantry and light them up like threat detect does for vehicles now. Many of my early deaths in this game were due to being blasted by A2G rockets while my framerate dumped to single digits. It's part of why I still have a grudge against A2G to some extent.

I found this old video comparing them but I remember some old videos of air just farming all the little lit up dots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU8sr_dJLjg

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

quote:

There's also weird ones like Cold Heart

Missed this, but its good for avoiding detection when you don't want darts or motion radars to spot you, usually when doing deep cover stuff or hiding on the side of a crowd. And when a helios or thumper sets you on fire and you're alive and remember you have it, which is rare but handy when it happens!

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 3, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The soldier soaker pistol and mega soldier soaker water balloon launcher are equippable now but there's no event active to accumulate kills with them yet. I guess wrel took all the events home on a floppy disk when he left. Oh, also there's a water balloon grenade unlockable for 1 cert. The pistol is legit not bad but the others aren't amazing.

I am curious if the mega soldier soaker has team damage. Might be a way to work on the heavy assault heavy weapon assist directive if it doesn't. As soon as I'm on a faction that's not completely warpgated due to TR having a flying harasser guy instantly killing everyone from the air I'll have to test it out.

edit: upon testing the mega soldier soaker doesn't have team damage (same as the pistol) but the water balloon grenade does.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 4, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's around 3AM eastern July 5th and Emerald is having an air anomaly alert on Hossin. What the heck.

edit: okay it's part of the Operation Tidebreaker event which is the summer event:
Rewards for the tiers are: 100 certs, 100 ISO-4, 500 A7, Sunburst Corsair Lumifiber and Sunburst Harasser Lumifiber.

Here's hastily cropped event directive page:

Typically in these events the hardest ones to do require ribbons since those are 10-15 XP ticks of a thing, like the ammo/rep resupply one, but it doesn't say it requires you be in a combat zone so it might be easy. Maybe. I suspect the cannonball one will be the hardest one just due to needing to be on Oshur and also cannon yourself out of a corsair to get it.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 5, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for posting these, btw.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They have the official announcement up for the event now:
https://www.planetside2.com/news/tides-of-summer

The event directive still says until July 31st, but the announcement says water weapons useable until August 31st so who knows. The Mega Soldier Soakers are still faction specific so the 1000 cert green one is probably a good buy but the DBC ones not so much. I got the electric one a couple of years back hoping it would be cross-faction but it's NSO only. Welp!

I did test the vehicle resupply ribbon thing by pulling two ammo sundies with an alt account on a second machine and firing once then reloading. It does work but those ribbons must be like 20 XP ticks or more because I got 1/3, then did another ~15 or so resupplies and then stopped gaining XP. I assume it's got a gate on it so you won't just farm one thing like repair XP and terminal/turret hacking XP. Still, probably an alternate way to get progress on that one if the server isn't having big vehicle battles.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stuff I checked out so far tonight:
Heatwave weapons count as "summer" weapons for the event kills, the water pistol is still legit decent though if you don't want to buy reskins (especially because NSO don't get to use Gorgons so we only get half of the useable stuff from the bundle). Blowing up base turrets with a vehicle doesn't seem to add to the kill count in Hammerhead. Mini-Alert: Aerial Anomalies gives credit when you get into the purple ball to get charged up and go deposit in your faction's beacon floating in the middle of the continent, not just for participation. Aircraft are free so it's not a huge deal to lose some but it is a pretty wild time. As usual with those alerts, the purple anomaly will vanish and reappear different places on the continent meaning sometimes one faction will just have better access. Air and Ocean seems pretty easy since you can play a LA and kill people while airborne for credit.

Here's the requirements for the second step of the directive:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Here's the third step of the directive. I think the aerial anomalies is cumulative but I'm not sure about the rest. I believe Beat the Heat and Hammerhead are probably not, I just picked up a couple of kills before taking the screenshot.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

the anomalies got me to actually start flying and i enjoy it, actually. now to just unlock all the things that make it actually usable. I forget what the reaver has that makes it different from the skeeter and scythe though

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ronwayne posted:

the anomalies got me to actually start flying and i enjoy it, actually. now to just unlock all the things that make it actually usable. I forget what the reaver has that makes it different from the skeeter and scythe though

It's definitely a lot more fun during the anomaly alert since there aren't so many skylords airborne. I mean, they're there but it's less about getting one clipped by a guy you didn't even know was there and more about big chaos and people switching targets since there's tons all over. I got a bunch of the event ribbons on wrackwither just flying a valk with evasive frame and trying to shuttle anomaly energy instead of shooting anyone. ESFs shot at me a lot but they got tired of me whipping around different directions or stopping in the middle of the air and flying back at them. I only died a couple of times because people were more concerned with blasting gals/libs/esfs. My first time I went after the anomaly I flew a dervish and boy was that ever a mistake. They're so big that everyone shoots them and the nose gun is terrible to use without precision or maybe drift frame (I was using rotor to try to go fast).

I'm not that knowledgeable about ESFs but most of the folks who do air dueling use fire suppression, vehicle stealth, and hover frame (afaik) with the stock nosegun. You can add wyrms to plink at big stuff from far away (no damage falloff, does pretty good damage to armor), coyotes, havoc missiles, or A2A missiles if you want people to be mad at you, or even just afterburner fuel tanks. I'm not sure what the best loadout is for the event since there's no way to not be seen and if you're going for ribbons you want to run as much tempest charge as you can. Maybe auto repair would work for the defense slot for reps over time if you stop getting shot long enough for it to start ticking.

Definitely bind mouse buttons to pitch up/pitch down to make turning easier, and the bind for analog throttle is the one that stops current acceleration so it's easy to get into a hover if you haven't done those yet. The analog throttle bind to stop accelerating is great for all aircraft especially when you want to land (although sometimes you have to tap down and back a bit to get it to really stop hovering).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

What do you mean "analog throttle bind"? Any chance you can share a screenshot of your controls? I assume you're using mouse and keyboard?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, sorry for not being more complete in my thoughts there. The bind exists because the game supports a lot of control schemes. Basically you hit the key for analog throttle and it turns your throttle analog with a current speed of 0%. You can then tap w to add to the throttle speed or s to back it off, or use an analog throttle axis like on a joystick (nobody does this, joysticks don't work well in PS2 even though it supports them and game controllers).

In the binds list here it's set to - on my setup and then I bind - to the third mouse button for that. I could probably set it up differently but it's been that way for years so I've left it.

In game you should try it out. It sets throttle to 0 which will cause your plane to slow down and stop and hover (if you have the airframe with enough thrust to hover). There's momentum and it's different for the different vehicles. Liberators and galaxies and I think valks can all just hover if running high g or hover frame, but I think ESFs will drop without tapping space.

Here's a little clip from tonight. I fly up to the anomaly ball and hit the bind to drop to 0 throttle then tap w a couple of times and use space to make use of the valk lower jets being strong to kind of wiggle around. Then I take the charge to the deposit thing and hit the bind and wiggle a bit while depositing. Then a guy is chasing me to the new anomaly spot and I hit it and then tilt back and accelerate right back at him. I think he killed me later but the point is it's a useful bind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA1vzKPnzpE

The only real downside is if you hit it when trying to land sometimes your plane will just want to hover above the landing pad. If you get out it will tilt over and maybe crash. I've found spamming S and control to make it wake up and stop flying and land will fix it but it can be frustrating when your plane just wants to bounce on the pad.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Okay, finally the last step for the event is this:

I think that only the air anomaly event is cumulative and I did a couple of them. You get ribbons for picking up and depositing the tempest charge so it's not that big a deal if you get blown up a bit. First night I had a good time but tonight as an NSO I found dervish got blown up, valk got harassed and killed a lot more, liberator gets attention, and galaxy is a pinata even with composite armor and stuff. I got a little skywhale ramming in but it's rough.

So the four easiest directives for the event are going to be Beat the Heat (the summer weapon kills), Air and Ocean (kill people while off the ground or underwater, LA flying around counts, so does killing a guy while you're on a grav lift or falling), Hammerhead (vehicle kills and assists while in a vehicle), and Mini-Alert: Aerial Anomalies. For the other two, Summer Support requires ribbons and they seem to be like 20 ticks of reload or repair on other vehicles, times 175 at the top end. That's a lot. Cannonball! is only 50 kills but requires launching from a corsair and then getting kills, so it's only applicable to Oshur and you'd need a setup where you can spawn by a corsair or into one and then launch and get kills.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I dunno if this is in bad taste but I feel like the Venn diagram of people who like PS2 and people who like battlebits ought to be a perfect circle. If you haven't tried it out yet and you got 1.5 * :10bux: to spare, you should give it a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's probably fair to mention. Camikaze who does a lot of ps2 videos has been doing battlebit videos for a while and seems to like it a lot.