Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Too light, hope there's weights you can add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Holes :randno:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Aerodynamics, makes you faster. Every little edge counts in the world of esports.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Love storing my Cheetos crumbs in my mouse holes

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

repiv posted:

finalmouse are back on their bullshit

https://twitter.com/finalmouse/status/1672742475226808320

look forward to these getting cleared out by scalpers in 20 milliseconds and being resold for $800

not the worst use of carbon fibre i’ve seen in the past couple weeks tbf

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Generic Monk posted:

not the worst use of carbon fibre i’ve seen in the past couple weeks tbf

Well, it's not airtight to survive the ocean either.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It only has to withstand the pressure of irate gamers smacking it on the desk.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Rexxed posted:

It only has to withstand the pressure of irate gamers smacking it on the desk.

Not a mouse, but I can't wait till Logitech releases a carbon fiber F710

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Deathadders still good? My current Pro Intellimouse starts double clicking on its own, so it needs replacing. I had a Deathadder before this one, but that's more than four years ago, so I'm asking whether they hosed the current version up or not.

--edit: Hmm, G703 from Logitech seems to match the Pro Intellimouse shape a lot.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 4, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Deathadders still good? My current Pro Intellimouse starts double clicking on its own, so it needs replacing. I had a Deathadder before this one, but that's more than four years ago, so I'm asking whether they hosed the current version up or not.

They removed the nice rubber side grips from the Deathadder v2 onwards. The v2 has some obnoxious textured plastic in that spot while the v3 has sides with the same texture as the rest of the mouse. I believe the Deathadder Essential still has rubber side grips if you want those.

You might consider the similar-form-factor ASUS ROG Gladius, which has user-serviceable switches. The Gladius II Core doesn't have a detachable cable or as many obnoxious lights as the Gladius II Origin. I don't know anything about the Gladius III.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Hmm, G703 from Logitech seems to match the Pro Intellimouse shape a lot.

I have I think the V3 Pro? It’s a slightly different shape than the earlier ones, but I actually like it more. The shape of the wired V2 I had prior to it would aggravate a minor hand injury I got from work, the V3 on the other hand is my favourite mouse I’ve had so far, the shape and the weight are perfect for me to the point I don’t even think about the mouse when I’m using it.

The Razer software blowing rear end is my only real complaint, it sometimes doesn’t launch automatically or features don’t work properly at all.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Welp, the middle button my Viper Ultimate is dying. Really stupid that Razer doesn't put ALL optical switches on their mice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Welp, the middle button my Viper Ultimate is dying. Really stupid that Razer doesn't put ALL optical switches on their mice.

Are there any manufacturers that have optical switches beyond just the lmb and rmb?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 6, 2023

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
so I used steelseries qcks of some form for like ever then I went down some mouse pad rabbit-hole and found out the qck is apparently lower-mid tier so I splurged on an artisan zero mouse pad

it feels the same, except the edges are sewn, grips to my desk like crazy though,

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 6, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Once you start overanalyzing mousepads, you've gone too far. I may not game for a living but I'm very competitive, and I'd recommend all my Steelseries gear, especially over logitech and razer crap

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are there any manufacturers that have optical switches beyond just the lmb and rmb?

Don't think so, unless maybe one of the super-boutique companies does.

Problems with optical switches other than L & R is:
1. Optical switches are full size, while many of the secondary switches in mice are smaller. Particularly the middle click which generally goes under the wheel axle.
2. optical switches use power constantly, so for wireless mice that's a battery drawback.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So at the end I got a G502 X Plus. Is a nice device so far.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Combat Pretzel posted:

So at the end I got a G502 X Plus. Is a nice device so far.

With it being lighter than the G502, it sounds close to the perfect mouse to me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah the switch form factor is probably the biggest limitation for all optical. Could be designed around, but not necessarily cheaply in a short form factor. IDK how much the battery thing really matters, they keep getting better and all Razer would have to do is bundle their dock thing at a less ridiculous premium.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

With it being lighter than the G502, it sounds close to the perfect mouse to me.

Same, it'll probably be my next mouse whenever my Basilisk dies. I'm sure the middle click is not long for this world.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

codo27 posted:

Once you start overanalyzing mousepads, you've gone too far. I may not game for a living but I'm very competitive, and I'd recommend all my Steelseries gear, especially over logitech and razer crap

I'm definitely ultra casual I just needed a new mouse pad, wanted one with an edge that wasn't going to start curling up after 8 months, been using the same black thick qck one after another and figured I'd give something else a shot, saw a few people praising artisan so I looked it up on amazon and they had it for only a medium amount more than a qck thick so I figured gently caress it. I actually am noticing the difference with them side by side, I like the rounded off edges.

that said I did just pop into a csgo map and 360 no scope like 6 people one after another for a kill streak so, coincidence?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just checked my order history and I've had my big rear end Qck 3XL over 2 years now. Same as new.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

codo27 posted:

For real I've been using this Steelseries mousepad with stitched edges for almost four years now and it's still in great shape without a bit of rolling or slipping

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DoombatINC posted:

For real I've been using this Steelseries mousepad with stitched edges for almost four years now and it's still in great shape without a bit of rolling or slipping

Seconding this one, it works great and is built like a tank. I've spilled milk/coffee on it multiple times, hosed it off in the shower, and it looks and feels good as new.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

DoombatINC posted:

Thirding this recommendation. Have the XL long one and it's still in perfect shape several years later.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've had a glass Skypad for over a year now and would never, ever go back to cloth.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Can I get a list of brands that offer optical switches on the buttons? My Logitech G305 is multi-clicking on me after 2½ years of ownership. That's not as bad as the previous Logitech mouse I had, but their microswitches going bad on me has been a consistent problem for many years now. I don't want to buy their mice anymore. This was their last shot.

It's been a while, but I've read this thread before, and I'm going to pre-empt my request by saying that I don't have the expertise or motor skills to repair the one I have. I just want to buy something that, with normal surface cleaning, lasts... we'll say 5 years at least. I'd like to try them newfangled optical switches.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

Can I get a list of brands that offer optical switches on the buttons?

At this point, all the big brands? Logitech was the last that didn't, then they made the G502X.

Nobody is 100% optical though, it's all model by model.

Ofecks posted:

I just want to buy something that, with normal surface cleaning, lasts... we'll say 5 years at least.

Um, I don't think this is gonna be a thing optical switches will guarantee. One downside of wireless mice, in general are just not as long-lived.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ofecks posted:

Can I get a list of brands that offer optical switches on the buttons?

From most to least: Razer, Steelseries(prime series), Roccat, Cooler Master, Logitech.
Might be a few more companies.

e: Not related to optical switches but another option for longevity might be an Asus mouse. They have some models that let you easily swap out the mechanical switches for the left and right mouse buttons. Just pop off the magnetic shell and replace them. They are the only company that does this since they have the patent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 7, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've had a glass Skypad for over a year now and would never, ever go back to cloth.

Hm, very interesting. Nice option.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I had a similar experience re: giving up on Logitech and getting an optical switch mouse (Naga from Razer). But then I wanted to go back to a more general use shape since the Naga just doesn't feel right for non-MMOs (imo). I bought and returned quite a few with optical switches and ended up just getting a Glorious Model D because it felt the best in hand and I figured optical switches may not fail like mechanical ones but something else might and the Model D was $60 :shrug:
I read entirely too many reviews and there's always something that will gently caress up, maybe side buttons or scroll wheel or yes, double clicking. I figured I just wouldn't compromise on shape and take it from there.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

From most to least: Razer, Steelseries(prime series), Roccat, Cooler Master, Logitech.
Might be a few more companies.

e: Not related to optical switches but another option for longevity might be an Asus mouse. They have some models that let you easily swap out the mechanical switches for the left and right mouse buttons. Just pop off the magnetic shell and replace them. They are the only company that does this since they have the patent.

Thanks! I think I could do the ASUS, providing there are instructions, and I'm told where to buy new switches and what type I'd need for the particular model.

I forgot to mention that'd I'd much prefer to get a battery-powered mouse. I bought a bunch of Eneloops for mainly that purpose. The G305 uses a single AA and it lasts months. I assume I won't be getting that kind of battery life with optical buttons. Looks like Razer doesn't even offer anything like that. The models I'm interested in are all USB-rechargeable. That's not what I want. I'll keep looking.

e: what is Qi-compatable charging? I don't mind having a receiver dongle on my desk, but I otherwise never want to plug a mouse in to charge it. Are there any other wireless charging methods?

I looked at all the companies listed, and the only one that meets my requirements is the Roccat Kone Air. Apparently it's on the larger side, but I think I can get used to it. I've used G603s before and that was ok. I'll consider the switch-swappable ASUS stuff if the Roccat doesn't work out.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2023

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
This is a random topic but my MX Master 3 mouse has been having click and drag issues for months. I tried everything but it was like click and hold just never worked, it would repeatedly click non stop, often. To fix it I blasted under the trigger with compressed air for a bit and now it finally works properly. That seems like a design flaw or something that should be addressed.

Thanks for reading.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

Thanks! I think I could do the ASUS, providing there are instructions, and I'm told where to buy new switches and what type I'd need for the particular model.

I forgot to mention that'd I'd much prefer to get a battery-powered mouse. I bought a bunch of Eneloops for mainly that purpose. The G305 uses a single AA and it lasts months. I assume I won't be getting that kind of battery life with optical buttons.
Looks like Razer doesn't even offer anything like that. The models I'm interested in are all USB-rechargeable. That's not what I want. I'll keep looking.

Check the Roccat Kone Air? It can use 1 or 2 AAs and claims "up to 800 hours". Which is undoubtedly with 2 batteries and maximum power savings, but suggests you might get about a month from one AA.

Nolgthorn posted:

This is a random topic but my MX Master 3 mouse has been having click and drag issues for months. I tried everything but it was like click and hold just never worked, it would repeatedly click non stop, often. To fix it I blasted under the trigger with compressed air for a bit and now it finally works properly. That seems like a design flaw or something that should be addressed.

This is a persistent design flaw with current wireless Logitech mice (except the G502X, which uses optical switches).

The bad news is your fix is probably very temporary. I made a guide to clean microswitches that will fix it for much longer, or you can desolder and replace the microswitches.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Klyith posted:

very temporary.

It's already not working properly again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ofecks posted:

I forgot to mention that'd I'd much prefer to get a battery-powered mouse. I bought a bunch of Eneloops for mainly that purpose. The G305 uses a single AA and it lasts months. I assume I won't be getting that kind of battery life with optical buttons. Looks like Razer doesn't even offer anything like that. The models I'm interested in are all USB-rechargeable. That's not what I want. I'll keep looking.

There will be instructions in the box. iirc they even include another set of switches in the box. And you can buy omron or kailh or any other 3 pin mouse switch from amazon. I do remember seeing a list of compatible mouse switches, but it was pretty long so it's almost certainly not an issue.
I don't think the mice ran on AA batteries though.

That Kone Air looks neat. I would've assumed that there weren't any mice that used AA batteries and optical switches, but I guess there is one. Hope it works out for you.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The higher end Razer mice with optical switches have an optional dock, some you can buy it bundled (the Basilisk and Viper for sure) but you can also buy it separately, I did for my Naga. It is nice because Razer makes the opening for the charging port shaped to only accept their cords which is kinda poo poo but that's capitalism. The Kone XP Air (I think that's what the full name was) also comes with a dock.

I'll also plug buying "used like new" from Amazon Warehouse, I bought said Kone XP for half the cost of a new one and the tape on the feet of the mouse hadn't even been removed, it looked brand new.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

To fix it I blasted under the trigger with compressed air for a bit and now it finally works properly.

Can I just ask everyone to please stop buying cans of compressed air and buy a proper electric duster, its a must have for any tinkerer. Something akin to this, which appears to be a cheaper version of the ones I have at home and work, though probably does the job

https://www.amazon.ca/Compressed-Electric-Computer-Replaces-Electronics/dp/B09Z5SCXGZ

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

codo27 posted:

Can I just ask everyone to please stop buying cans of compressed air and buy a proper electric duster, its a must have for any tinkerer. Something akin to this, which appears to be a cheaper version of the ones I have at home and work, though probably does the job

https://www.amazon.ca/Compressed-Electric-Computer-Replaces-Electronics/dp/B09Z5SCXGZ

If anyone's using Makita LXT batteries, check out the DAS180. That thing blows, hard. Excellent tool.

Edit: maybe it hasn't come to the US yet. There's also the as001g, the xgt version. Same exact specs.

You won't regret owning it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

codo27 posted:

I'd recommend the k3 pro variant, only because it's the much better hair dryer form factor, I'm very much not a fan of the weird lantern style ones, also unless you really need cordless, I recommend going corded for more blasting power, my recommendation

but also if you're blasting out stuff like micro-switches, the sudden blow off of high pressure you get from the cans is still going to be better, even though I still strongly recommend the electric one for basically everything else.

edit:derp I didn't notice the one u linked is actually corded

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 9, 2023