Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

I'm curious if there's any reason that the Returned need a new Breath a week, but then can't actually use those Breaths without dying.
I think -- and I'm not sure if I'm remembering right, and I really don't think this is a spoiler, but just in case: they burn through one Breath a week just to maintain themselves, and have, separately, a massive stash of Breaths they can't access without dying.

quote:

Since I just finished the first Mistborn era I'm having a hard time not seeing Vasher as Kelsier 2.0
Ha! I personally thought a character in this book was Vin 2.0, and there's a Vin 3.0 coming in TWoK.

Louisgod posted:

Yeah between Tress and The Lost Metal, we're due for some much needed context. It'd be WILD if the bands ended up on Roshar.
Tress is so, so far ahead in the chronology. The Elantrians have spaceships, the Nalthans are making smart tablets, I'm pretty sure there's at least a hint that Scadrial is also at least at their technological level, which means the Rosharans might be too. It's either Tress or Sixth of the Dawn that's set the furthest in the future.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Warbreaker up to chapter 12 spoilers and Mistborn era 1 trilogy

CapnAndy posted:

I think -- and I'm not sure if I'm remembering right, and I really don't think this is a spoiler, but just in case: they burn through one Breath a week just to maintain themselves, and have, separately, a massive stash of Breaths they can't access without dying.

He needs to be given one every week, and felt weak right before he got one. I sorta assumed he had a lot because he's been given one every week for five years, though he probably has more than just that now that I think about it.

CapnAndy posted:

Ha! I personally thought a character in this book was Vin 2.0, and there's a Vin 3.0 coming in TWoK.

Hmm, Vivenna definitely has the attitude. Siri definitely starts out more carefree than Vin ever was in her life, but they've both proven to be jus as bad at listening to directions as Vin ever did. I'm guessing it's one of them but I can't tell which yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Hmm, Vivenna definitely has the attitude. Siri definitely starts out more carefree than Vin ever was in her life, but they've both proven to be jus as bad at listening to directions as Vin ever did. I'm guessing it's one of them but I can't tell which yet.
It is definitely one of them, and you'll know Vin 3.0 the second she walks on screen.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

It is definitely one of them, and you'll know Vin 3.0 the second she walks on screen.

i thought it was a little on the nose when brandon named the character Vin 3.0

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Can someone spoil Vin 3.0 because I’ve read all things Sanderson and I am drawing a blank.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

CapnAndy posted:

Tress is so, so far ahead in the chronology. The Elantrians have spaceships, the Nalthans are making smart tablets, I'm pretty sure there's at least a hint that Scadrial is also at least at their technological level, which means the Rosharans might be too. It's either Tress or Sixth of the Dawn that's set the furthest in the future.

More minor timeline spoilers Yumi is even further ahead, since Hoid makes a joke about his state in Tress

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Can someone spoil Vin 3.0 because I’ve read all things Sanderson and I am drawing a blank.

She is awesome

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

enigma105 posted:

She is awesome

I really feel like the Vin label doesn't stick here.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Is Scadrial Essay the same thing as Secret History?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vin 3.0 is the third clone of vin, also known as Viiin

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Okay, maybe it's just me, because I thought it was pretty obvious that it was Shallan? They don't end up in anywhere near the same place, obviously, but the similarities in how they start off are through the charts. "Hello yes I am a spunky young woman with a deep well of talent I'm not self-confident enough to tap, sure is a good thing that this somewhat abrasive older mentor has taken me under their wing, if only my extremely abusive childhood hadn't left me with some major trust issues!"

Marasi is kinda Vin 4.0, but it's a faint echo at best.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Is Scadrial Essay the same thing as Secret History?

In Arcanum Unbound when you go to each section there's a map of the system followed by 2-3 pages about that system, that's what I'm calling the essays.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Who do you think is the character writing those essays?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

M_Gargantua posted:

My only possible guess, given what I know, is .......Hoid......

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I think very very few people realize who is writing those even after they've read everything.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

pik_d posted:

My only possible guess, given what I know, is .......Hoid......

I think the spoiler covers one option, but the actual answer is under this spoiler. I don't believe it's said in the books outright, but it's related to that sand book that was turned into a graphic novel. It's Khriss and her companion. Wax meets her at a dance, she's the one who asks him about how the physics of his powers work. They're hidden in one of the intersitial broadsheets as well asking if anyone has an item in their house that talks to them to come find them for a reward. There's a WoB that says specifically she's written most of the Ars Arcanum at the back of the books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That kinda defeats the purpose of watching his theories as he reads more of the books

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Just because other characters are women doesn't make them clones of Vin, wtf. The mentioned characters are all completely different, at most they have a couple things in common.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

M_Gargantua posted:

That kinda defeats the purpose of watching his theories as he reads more of the books

Don't worry, I didn't click on that spoiler.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Taffer posted:

Just because other characters are women doesn't make them clones of Vin, wtf. The mentioned characters are all completely different, at most they have a couple things in common.

Yeah I don't understand these comparisons, either. (Mistborn Era 2 spoilers) Marasi in particular looks like she might be Vin but that's an obvious misdirection that begins and ends in Alloy of Law.

(Stormlight spoilers) And comparing Vin to Shallan is even more baffling to me.Of the many adjectives I'd use to describe Vin, "spunky" is not one of them. Vin wears her trauma on her sleeve always, even after she's gotten better, while Shallan literally does all in her power to mask it. Their arcs also look nothing like, obviously.

On this note though, Vin is definitely a tomboy. She kinda likes a taste of the glitz and glamor but her core identity is a fighter and she wants to be ready to fight at all times. Fancy gowns and hair inhibit this. I feel like after her Sanderson has emphasized the (conventional) femininity of his female protagonists. Someone like Jasnah is cold and efficient but also always acutely ladylike in dress and appearance. I dunno, just feels like a trend to me. If anything, I feel the the heroines after Vin have been very different from her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

seaborgium posted:

I think the spoiler covers one option, but the actual answer is under this spoiler. I don't believe it's said in the books outright, but it's related to that sand book that was turned into a graphic novel. It's Khriss and her companion. Wax meets her at a dance, she's the one who asks him about how the physics of his powers work. They're hidden in one of the intersitial broadsheets as well asking if anyone has an item in their house that talks to them to come find them for a reward. There's a WoB that says specifically she's written most of the Ars Arcanum at the back of the books.

I don't think pik_d has even read Mistborn Era 2?

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

seaborgium posted:

It's this. There are also clues scattered about, though I had to go to the wiki originally to find it out because the clues are...very scattered, and my brain can't hold all the proper nouns across like...almost twenty books? With about thirty books' worth of words in them?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The character in question signs the maps, so you know the name if you read it.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Started reading Stormlight Archives last year, stopped after the second book, and now I want to finish the series. I bought the audio books just to refresh and I’m kind of surprised how much I don’t care for the voices of the person doing the reading, I’m guessing there are probably no alternatives?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's the highly produced graphic audio but they're expensive

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Started reading Stormlight Archives last year, stopped after the second book, and now I want to finish the series. I bought the audio books just to refresh and I’m kind of surprised how much I don’t care for the voices of the person doing the reading, I’m guessing there are probably no alternatives?
If you're just trying to refresh your mind on the biggest plot points and key characters and stuff, you could potentially read the book's plot summary on the Coppermind wiki (make sure you use the "time machine" feature!) or listen to a Cosmere podcast.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Do you have the version read by Kate Reading & Michael Kramer?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

To each their own but I think I have mostly standard Cosmere fan opinions and one of them is absolutely adoring Michael Kramer. Kate Reading is great too but Kramer reading Mistborn is a vital part of what made me a Sanderson fan in the first place.

(Oathbringer spoilers) And he was so exquisitely perfect as Odium.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

NikkolasKing posted:

To each their own but I think I have mostly standard Cosmere fan opinions and one of them is absolutely adoring Michael Kramer. Kate Reading is great too but Kramer reading Mistborn is a vital part of what made me a Sanderson fan in the first place.

Count me in as someone as falling in love with Sanderson and Mistborn thanks to Kramer's narration.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kramer fuckin sells the prologue to Eye of the World so hard. They're a great narrating pair.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Arrath posted:

Kramer fuckin sells the prologue to Eye of the World so hard. They're a great narrating pair.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

MagusofStars posted:

If you're just trying to refresh your mind on the biggest plot points and key characters and stuff, you could potentially read the book's plot summary on the Coppermind wiki (make sure you use the "time machine" feature!) or listen to a Cosmere podcast.

I like to use the summaries for each chapter on coppermind. You don't have to worry about spoilers as it only reveals what the reader learns in each chapter (just don't click on any links in summaries)

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Summary:The_Way_of_Kings

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Summary:Words_of_Radiance

They have them for the other books but I'll just post these two

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I’ve never really listened to an audiobook so it’s probably just me having unreasonable expectations :D

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
SP3 was really good.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I really enjoyed SP3 as well. As I was reading it I couldn’t stop thinking this could be turned into a script. I know everyone loves the idea of Mistborn movies but I am starting to think SP3 might be the easiest to adapt to film out of everything he’s written. You could tone down/ignore some of cosmere building stuff and it still works. The magic and world building translates well because the book doesn’t fit into the nitty gritty.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok. OK. OK. OK lost metal spoilers

KELSIER IS BEHIND THE GHOSTBLOODS!?!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Tunicate posted:

There's the highly produced graphic audio but they're expensive

They're quite worth it IMO.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok. OK. OK. OK lost metal spoilers

KELSIER IS BEHIND THE GHOSTBLOODS!?!
I think you might be the first person in this thread who didn't get that information from Rhythm of War. Did you read that one and miss the clues, or didn't read it at all? And please expand more on your reaction, Lost Metal's very straightforward "oh yeah that's a thing that I, the Resurrected Kelsier, am doing" is way different than RoW's grand reveal at the end of the book. We were genuinely wondering in the thread how people who first got that information from Lost Metal were gonna react to it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I think you might be the first person in this thread who didn't get that information from Rhythm of War. Did you read that one and miss the clues, or didn't read it at all? And please expand more on your reaction, Lost Metal's very straightforward "oh yeah that's a thing that I, the Resurrected Kelsier, am doing" is way different than RoW's grand reveal at the end of the book. We were genuinely wondering in the thread how people who first got that information from Lost Metal were gonna react to it.

I missed it in RoW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mr Hootington posted:

I missed it in RoW

I did too, and I had to have a friend point it out to me. It wasn't as obvious in RoW and, to be honest, trying to absorb anything after RoW was really tough due to how much of a drag RoW was to complete.