Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Some of the more interesting tournaments I took part in for X-Wing were the Team Championships, where you had teams of three, and each player on a team had to have a list from a different factions (which was easy when there were only three factions to choose from). You had to hand in your lists in advance and couldn't change them once handed in, and the organisers also sent a spreadsheet with all the lists before the tournament took place, which allowed you to see which matchups were favourable and which ones were not. It added an interesting layer to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

panko posted:

it’s only game. why you heff to be mad?

Have you considered that winning this game is not only important, but the most important thing? It makes you think.

As a non-joke contribution, personally I am not always the best sport when losing but that probably depends on the day or the behavior of my opponents. If my opponents are gloating or being bad sports or cheating or are behaving poorly outside the game, it rapidly draws intensely bad sportsmanship out of me. Which, ya know, isn't great.

More generally, I think it has to do with attitude more than the game. For games with lots of randomness like MTG, you can either accept the random chance or you can be mad that it didn't go your way. In games with little to no randomness like Chess where skill is more indicative, you should be able to more easily accept that you're simply worse than your opponent but that can be hard for our 'main character' fixated brains. I've tried to look at it like this: winning has to have some level of importance because that's the 'goal' and if that's not the case you could fall into disengagement. On the other hand, it can't be too important because otherwise it could get emotional past the point of appropriateness. As Dr K. says "When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning..."

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm a bad sport at winning but only if I know gloating bothers you. Ain't I a stinker! Yes, call me a "sore winner" :sickos:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I used to cry every time I lost when I was a kid. As a grown adult, I have put this behind me. Instead, I spend five minutes at the end of the game calmly explaining how the draw hosed me over and why this game is objectively horseshit. Unless it was a matter of skill, in which case I calmly explain why I'm the dumbest motherfucker at the table.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Eraflure posted:

Instead, I spend five minutes at the end of the game calmly explaining how the draw hosed me over and why this game is objectively horseshit. Unless it was a matter of skill, in which case I calmly explain why I'm the dumbest motherfucker at the table.

:hmmyes:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

When I lose a game, it's luck. When I win a game, it's skill.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

same but the opposite

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've been playing Meridians in beta on bga lately. Abstract using go stones on a hex grid (slightly longer on one side so there's no center point).

It turns out I'm completely awful at it!!! I'm okay at go, or at least I've gained some basic understanding of how to form eyes and survive, what good moves look like. None of those heuristics apply! Having a blast being such poo poo at an abstract, tbh, usually I can just see decent moves.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jesus WEP posted:

same but the opposite

I won my first game of Heat because despite not knowing what I was doing I lucked into having some extra heat available at the end of the race. I lost my next game of Heat because I'm a dumbass who learned nothing and had all my heat in my hand in the final straightaway and had to downshift just to have enough playable cards.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eraflure posted:

I used to cry every time I lost when I was a kid. As a grown adult, I have put this behind me. Instead, I spend five minutes at the end of the game calmly explaining how the draw hosed me over and why this game is objectively horseshit. Unless it was a matter of skill, in which case I calmly explain why I'm the dumbest motherfucker at the table.

You didn't beat me. I beat myself. A squirrel could have beaten me.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hey guys. I'm looking to spend some store credit, and I'm looking at deciding between The Great Western Trail Second Edition and Brass: Birmingham. If you had to choose one, which would you guys pick? Why?

Likes: Terraforming Mars, Clank, Scythe, Castles of Burgundy, Dune Imperium, Eclipse, Wingspan, Viticulture
Dislikes: Dominant Species (decision paralysis), Root, Lost Ruins of Arnak (too naked of resource exchange)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I would choose the #1 ranked game on BGG over the game that's become a meme in terms of difficulty, personally

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

what does that mean

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

The Wonder Weapon posted:

what does that mean

In less glib terms, Perry Mason Jar means they would choose Brass Birmingham.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They asked for my reasoning

E: I have not played either game :shobon:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

canyoneer posted:

Being on the wrong side of a "control deck" or equivalent archetype in a game is just brutal when you don't have an answer for it (or you're not drawing the answer cards). Very much a negative player experience, and exactly the reason why conceding a match is in the rules.

This is the kind of game I've described as "the better YOU play, the less I GET to play".

Some guys I know maintain that it's 'disrespectful' to handicap oneself when playing against a new player, but being someone's helpless punching bag during a tutorial/learning game is a pretty great way to help them decide there ain't gonna be a second one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Brass is the easy choice there and I like it less than many folks do. Definitely the cleaner design with more interaction, more innovative systems, etc. But get Lancashire over Birm.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

The Eyes Have It posted:

This is the kind of game I've described as "the better YOU play, the less I GET to play".

As an outside observer, Yugioh seems downright infernal about this. It seems like the meta of the game is entirely built around one turn kills, and the rest of the game is about trying to prevent your opponent from being able to do anything at all, lest they get their one turn kill combo running.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they do tend to ban combos which enable complete lockdowns on opponent actions and/or first-turn kill strategies since those are by far the most toxic for competition

but yeah the game is power-crept enough (because they have no set rotation, or any official alternate formats other than "all cards are legal unless banned") that it's about throwing negation effects at someone trying to set up their turn 1 combo board

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hey guys. I'm looking to spend some store credit, and I'm looking at deciding between The Great Western Trail Second Edition and Brass: Birmingham. If you had to choose one, which would you guys pick? Why?

Likes: Terraforming Mars, Clank, Scythe, Castles of Burgundy, Dune Imperium, Eclipse, Wingspan, Viticulture
Dislikes: Dominant Species (decision paralysis), Root, Lost Ruins of Arnak (too naked of resource exchange)

Devil's advocate counterpoint to the consensus: you seem to like midweight thematic euros with some tableau and engine-building. While Birmingham is arguably the "better" game (I own both), GWT may be more within the wheelhouse of what you seem to like. I do feel that there's more "decision paralysis" in Brass because the choices ARE more brutal and a bad one can truly cripple your game.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I would choose the #1 ranked game on BGG over the game that's become a meme in terms of difficulty, personally

I haven't seen any memes about GWT's difficulty. It seems neither overly simple or difficult to me. Got some dank memes to share?

(Sincere ask. Maybe I missed something...)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's more impenetrable rulebook than difficulty, plus a high chance for Feels Bad moments. Mostly everyone who criticizes it in this way adds a caveat that's it's a great game, so it's definitely not a bad choice. Might be kinda thread specific meme

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wait did that come first or the prozd video

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pR-WNlXDwQ

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Is GWT's rulebook that bad? I thought it laid out the mechanics pretty well and didn't recall anyone having much confusion about how things worked. There's enough moving parts that figuring out how to do well is beyond most new players and the rulebook doesn't really help there, but that's pretty typical for games above a certain weight.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Brass's rulebook (and rules) are far from elegant and simple to grasp.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

My experience with early plays of GWT was a pretty leisurely experience where we started quickly but basically always had our heads in the manual. With Brass we had a long teach upfront (you can't learn it as you go) but once we got it we barely looked at it. It's less about manual quality and more just the designs of the game being different.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've come to accept weighty rules as a consequence of heavy games. All of us that care to play can usually find the time to watch a how to play video before we sit down so that everyone is at least somewhat versed with what they're getting into.

On the far side of that, I've got one guy that it literally doesn't matter what you tell him, he will get critical rules wrong. We played Power Grid a couple weeks ago. While running through the honestly fairly simple rules, I said, out loud, "you can not build a second generator in a city in which you already have a generator" no less than five times. In a row. On the fifth time, I leaned over, stared directly at him, and said that line while pointing at a city. Everyone laughed. 90 minutes later he (quite earnestly) attempted to build a second generator in a city. It does not matter how many times you tell him, or how vehemently, he will gently caress up the rules.

That is to say, I'm quite used to playing games out of the rule book.

He owns scythe, by the way. We've played it probably 30+ times. He still regularly gets basic rules wrong.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I have bounced off of every play of GWT that I've had (3 of 2nd edition, 1 each of Argentina and NZ), whereas Brass is in my top 10 games (both Lancashire and Birm are great, I'd take Lanc if you do 2p primarily).
It falls squarely in my wheelhouse of economicish strategy game with a dash of randomness to blame for when you lose the game ("I just didn't pull ANY Birmingham cards!!"). GWT however just feels like the crappiest deck building, combined with a bizarre and lame worker placement, with a map that makes the game drag out the further into it you get, with point salad scoring that doesn't excite me in any way shape or form.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
GWT if you more often play at 2. Brass if you play at 3+ more. Brass is one of those blocking and interaction games that shines when there's at least 2 opponents so everyone is kind of a chaos element and there's no zero-sum action happening. GWT scales better to a smaller number of players without sacrificing the stuff that makes it interesting.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Brass's rulebook (and rules) are far from elegant and simple to grasp.

Yeah, I love Brass, but it's the kind of game where the mechanics are nonsense. One dude couldn't remember the rules for how Iron/Beer/Coal are accessible and the other three players just started chanting that everyone knows beer can fly. I can't imagine what normal people would have thought of us.

Which it does, in Brass. Provided it's your beer of course. Not the bonus beer though. That doesn't fly. Other people's beer also doesn't fly on your turn.

Iron flies too, except if it's being sold to market and then it needs to be shipped. Obviously.

Coal never flies. Because coal is... heavier... than... iron?

Probably my current favorite 2-4 player game though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is that rule different in base Brass? In Birmingham you never need to ship iron! It's always available no matter what.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
I'm of the unusual, weird, and probably Bad opinion that Brass: Birmingham is somewhere between "the complexity of the rules allows a lot of neat interactions and depth" and "the complexity of the rules is inane, mildly unintuitive, and might just be marketing fiddliness as depth".

I've had fun playing it, but to me it's not quite so apparent why it's sitting at #1 for the time being.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Iron flies too, except if it's being sold to market and then it needs to be shipped. Obviously.

I think the thematic reason is that coal was needed in quantities that required canals / rails, but iron was used in quantities that could be taken by carriage.

This chatter does make me want to try Brass, but I have no idea who I would play it with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Yeah, I love Brass, but it's the kind of game where the mechanics are nonsense. One dude couldn't remember the rules for how Iron/Beer/Coal are accessible and the other three players just started chanting that everyone knows beer can fly. I can't imagine what normal people would have thought of us.

Which it does, in Brass. Provided it's your beer of course. Not the bonus beer though. That doesn't fly. Other people's beer also doesn't fly on your turn.

Probably my current favorite 2-4 player game though.

It's as was stated by someone else - coal had to be carried by barge or train as you're dealing with much bigger quantities. And once you know the mnemonic it's easy to remember how it works:

Closest Connected Coal
Iron Is Independent
Beer's a Bit of Both

Coal comes from the nearest source and must be networked, but iron can come from anywhere. Your own beer travels like iron but if you're using someone else's it travels like coal.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I should clarify that we are almost always at player cap for everything. I rarely, rarely play with 3 or less. Always 4 or 5 (or 6 or 7)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
3p Brass Birmingham really shines. I printed out some really useful player aids that came in very handy.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/179522/deluxe-player-aids-brass-birmingham

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Usually if someone keeps getting rules wrong it gives me the feeling that they don't really care about the game/don't want to pay attention. I tend to try switching to lighter games if it happens a lot in a play group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

I think the thematic reason is that coal was needed in quantities that required canals / rails, but iron was used in quantities that could be taken by carriage.

Yeah, I explain it that the iron cost is for the construction of the actual building, so the transportation is a once off cost that we can ignore. Coal is literally dirt cheap, but it’s a continuous supply to run heaters and furnaces, so a transportation link is important, as is the transportation distance. That coal needs to have as little shipping and handling as possible. Beer is odd because it’s beer. If it’s your own beer, you get to say “free beer”, and your guys will walk halfway across England to get it. If they have to pay for the beer, then the unions get involved and they they need to be able to train Uber home.

Spiteski posted:

GWT however just feels like the crappiest deck building, combined with a bizarre and lame worker placement, with a map that makes the game drag out the further into it you get, with point salad scoring that doesn't excite me in any way shape or form.

I’m not going to be able to change your mind, but for people who haven’t played GWT, I wouldn’t call it a worker placement game or a deck builder really. The core loop is a rondel game that the players get to build out if they choose. Players will never block you from an action spot. Instead it’s about locating good jump paths based on your speed around the rondel (which you can improve), and boosting it with your own buildings. And also throwing spanners into opposing rondel runs.

Also while it does seem to operate like a deck builder, it’s more a hand management game. You want to finish the rondel with a hand of different, high value cards, but cards can be spent for bonuses along the rondel. Your discard pile is open to you letting you work out what is in your draw deck, so it’s more about running the odds of what cards can be spent and when to still end up with a good hand at the end. You can tweak your deck slightly through the game, but the bulk of the deck will be what you started with.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 12, 2023