Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, by contrast, I would argue a character like mouse is quite good, even though she is only a 10 on the sheet. She comes out of the box with amazing dex and agi. She has stealthy, which I feel like is one of the better character abilities. She is level 1, and doesn't have any perks wasted on things you would prefer not to have. All she needs is a little marksmanship training, which is very doable, to turn her into a stealth monster. Sure, she won't be carrying a lot, but whatever. She also makes a fine secondary medic.

That Stat/$ rating is literally just 'Cheaper is better' in a list form.
It is a good principle for start to get a nice 6 man squad.
When you can afford them, the veterans/legendaries are just plain better.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Lmao, just had MD and Ice chat, MD commenting on him walking with a limp and Ice saying "nah dude this is my Street Strut"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blue On Blue posted:

ok but here lies the problem

how do you know if you need someone with 76, 77, or 78 explosives skill? why not make it 80, or 90?

As near as I can tell the skills are direct percentages. 47 explosives, 47% chance to spot and disarm. So choose your poison

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had Kalyna ask for a raise and I instinctively just accepted it, and now I'm paying her 10k on her 2 week contract. I don't suppose I have a choice to let her go and then take her back at a discount? (Then again, I don't really want to let her go)

I'm kinda in a spot where I'm looking at whether to replace my beginner squad with more experienced mercs or just hire more for a second squad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hell, I'm playing MD and Barry $11k/2w now

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone know what aiming does for shotguns? Just got a Benelli M4 (an Italian classic...) and compared to my modded Auto-5, it's got better bonuses to aiming and more damage versus one more AP to shoot. The damage probably tips it over, but its mod selection has a bunch of stuff adding bonuses to aimed shots, so I wonder if it's actually worth investing into them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

Lmao, just had MD and Ice chat, MD commenting on him walking with a limp and Ice saying "nah dude this is my Street Strut"

lol had that last night, it rules

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Very weird, my explosives expert (85) can defuse all of the landmines on ernie except one, and no matter how many times I reload it will always fail to defuse and explode.
Are values for these checks set by seed perhaps, and not entirely RNG on reload?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Iymarra posted:

Very weird, my explosives expert (85) can defuse all of the landmines on ernie except one, and no matter how many times I reload it will always fail to defuse and explode.
Are values for these checks set by seed perhaps, and not entirely RNG on reload?

I think the game does fix the seed between reloads to prevent out and out save scumming for individual shots.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah that sheet puts Grizzly at second place for value and I would argue he’s unsalvageably bad. Dex and Agility that low can’t be fixed, and they’re too important.

Pretty easy to fix with a bit of training and his off the hip ability is real nice. He's great for returning the training back in health and strength. Have him and fox spend some quality time together and build out two very nice stat lines.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm seeing people talk about the game spinning the fans up to max and just crashing both here and elsewhere now, and I think there has to be some kind of weird optimization bug, because this game runs good, but it makes my computer louder than MW2 and other far more demanding games do.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

I'm seeing people talk about the game spinning the fans up to max and just crashing both here and elsewhere now, and I think there has to be some kind of weird optimization bug, because this game runs good, but it makes my computer louder than MW2 and other far more demanding games do.

This happened to me last night. I was in the middle of a map and my computer just straight up turned off with no warning. I've never had that happen in decades of PC gaming.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
How can I see which of my mercs are close to being tired? JA2 had nice indicator for this, but I haven't found it for JA3 yet.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Also I just overheard a legion member complaining about someone writing "Legion go home" everywhere...

... because they write legion wrong :v:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This happened to me last night. I was in the middle of a map and my computer just straight up turned off with no warning. I've never had that happen in decades of PC gaming.

That used to happen to me with Witcher 3, and only Witcher 3. Turned out I had a bad power supply and the game worked fine after I replaced it. Might not be what's happening here, I doubt everyone reporting this has a bad PSU but the symptoms are the exact same.

E:

Xarn posted:

Also I just overheard a legion member complaining about someone writing "Legion go home" everywhere...

... because they write legion wrong :v:

Haha I got this one too, I loved it

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Gadzuko posted:

That used to happen to me with Witcher 3, and only Witcher 3. Turned out I had a bad power supply and the game worked fine after I replaced it. Might not be what's happening here, I doubt everyone reporting this has a bad PSU but the symptoms are the exact same.

Yeah the hard crashes has symptoms of PSU failure, but the high fan usage sounds like just running way hotter than it actually needs to. If you've got an old rig or a shoddy PSU I can see that exacerbating power issues.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Spoiler question for an early game mine: how do I access the mine held by the Communist maquis up in Pantagruel? I killed the Legion attackers but the named characters don't have anything to say but quips. Do I need to boost the town's loyalty by a lot?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If you’re running short on meds, R&R will also reduce wounds at a decent pace. I’ve found it to be a good way to fix 1 wound across the whole squad, saving 30 meds.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

brainwrinkle posted:

If you’re running short on meds, R&R will also reduce wounds at a decent pace. I’ve found it to be a good way to fix 1 wound across the whole squad, saving 30 meds.

Do meds in empty / claimed tiles respawn? I'm empty and my next targets are up north, but I don't want to be taking it on without plenty of supplies

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I paid to get the hospital running on the town with the che guevara looking guy but I can't use it, do I only get access to it if I turn the sector from neutral to blue?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

toasterwarrior posted:

Spoiler question for an early game mine: how do I access the mine held by the Communist maquis up in Pantagruel? I killed the Legion attackers but the named characters don't have anything to say but quips. Do I need to boost the town's loyalty by a lot?

Communist mines: You can either do quests and help the local people to get city's loyalty to 100% OR you can just shoot them all.

Honest Thief posted:

I paid to get the hospital running on the town with the che guevara looking guy but I can't use it, do I only get access to it if I turn the sector from neutral to blue?

It's found in the operation menu on map.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I had to do a stutter step with my squad in the tile to get the hospital to turn on after that, order movement and then cancel it. Maybe let time tick by for a moment too.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Sup, it looks like the compensator on pistols makes their range p good. Is that pretty much what I need to return folks like Fox and Meltdown to their glory days of pistoleering nerds akimbo?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

brainwrinkle posted:

Oo, that's a good tip, thanks!

For anyone worrying about Kalaynas stats, the training Op really is a godsend. I'm raising marksman several points at a time for my lower skill mercs.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Kuno posted:

Pretty easy to fix with a bit of training and his off the hip ability is real nice. He's great for returning the training back in health and strength. Have him and fox spend some quality time together and build out two very nice stat lines.

with buns training him every now and then he was in the mid seventies for dex and agi by week three, which turns him into an absolute monster and only getting better.

can't go wrong with a .50cal submachinegunner on your team.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

VolticSurge posted:

Igor seems to like her, calling her "comrade sister".

I think Igor's comrade sister line is for any female merc who gets a good kill. There's another line about finding them a good husband which may have been Kalyna specific but idk.

Has anyone seen anything beyond bickering? Like fights or someone just up and quitting? Red gets pissed off at Livewire's constant chattering, but a lot of the 'they are going to kill each other' combos seem to be missing.

e. Wolf howling sometimes is :stonk:

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 17, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

Sup, it looks like the compensator on pistols makes their range p good. Is that pretty much what I need to return folks like Fox and Meltdown to their glory days of pistoleering nerds akimbo?

I sure hope so, I recruited Meltdown but so far she seems ... kinda mediocre? Would she be better with some kinda LMG/HMG (don't have any at the moment)

I'm trying with dual pistols with compensators, will see how it goes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
that's it, Blood and Fox can't ever be in the same team again (he takes her spot on the ledge in the menu vistas)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Black Griffon posted:

the secret is the game's default fps is like 240 or something

I slapped it down to a sane 60 in options and it's been light. fleatown had weird stutters but I feel that wasn't an fps issue, just the engine having a glitch

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I want to be able to get stable 60 during sand storms and night rain. I turned down view distance and reflections, and this is with a 3070.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oo, that's a good tip, thanks!

For anyone worrying about Kalaynas stats, the training Op really is a godsend. I'm raising marksman several points at a time for my lower skill mercs.
Training is actually pretty loving strong in general. A couple of marksmanship training sessions can turn cheap mercs like Fox or Mouse into murderers.

I think I've settled on an IMP for my next playthrough. Something like this.
https://imgur.com/a/QT8YBTt

With maxed agi, dex, marksmanship, and leadership, they can patch up any gunfighting deficiencies on hired mercs with training. Leadership is also a hard stat to get on hired mercs. The first really good one is Raider, though Thor is also okay.

You shouldn't be too worried about zeroing med/mec/exp on your IMP either. Training works faster when the skill difference is larger. A two day training session with Fox can raise a 0 medical IMP to around 20 medical if they have decent wis.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Honestly there's a bunch of cheap decent mercs that excel in one field (Mech, Exp, Med) that zeroing out those stats on your Imp and just dumping it all into agi, Dex and mark is a no brainer.

I'm curious to compare Merc stats from ja2 to JA3, as I feel they're more generous overall.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

the secret is the game's default fps is like 240 or something

I slapped it down to a sane 60 in options and it's been light. fleatown had weird stutters but I feel that wasn't an fps issue, just the engine having a glitch

Yeah that was one of the first things I adjusted and it certainly helps, but it's still running like a whipped racehorse. I'm running a 3080, a CPU that just turned a year old and 16 gigs of ram, so it's not lacking in resources.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

zombies????

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I restarted my save on the hardest difficulty and with a few mods, and it's making me realize just how poor pretty much every weapon type is in comparison to Rifles. Even the Gewehr 98, which you can find 5 guaranteed copies of on the starting island, outperforms top-tier guns from other categories. No wonder I was breezing through everything on my first playthrough, I had 3 M24s before the military rolled in.

The rifles have more potential damage per AP, can easily hit 100% hit chance with 1-2 aims (so 8-9 AP) and ~80 Marksmanship (even for headshots if you have elevation), and only need to roll their hit once. Compare that to an Assault Rifle that needs to hit a full 3-shot burst to do comparable damage, and even with 3 aims (8AP) you will have a hard time hitting 100% hit chance at any appreciable distance, especially for headshots (at practical engagement ranges my ARs have ~40-50% hit chance for bursts and ~60% hit chance for single shots with full aim).

Things lean far heavier in favor of Rifles when you start taking Stealth into account (one single source of damage is enough to kill an enemy, which means you don't lose Hidden status). But even without that, the best Assault Rifles in the game average out to roughly the same damage per turn as the absolute worst Rifle unless you're within a few tiles of the enemy (close enough to get a 100% hit chance burst fire headshot). By the time you get M24s, no other weapon can hope to compete in potential damage per turn.

The same goes for SMGs, shotguns, etc - the Rifle can delete one enemy per turn in nearly any conditions, and almost any other weapon needs perfect conditions to do the same. There are some exceptions like Machine Guns. And Pistols are pretty good, but they're just weaker Rifles.

Anyway all of this is to say that ARs and SMGs really need their effective range increased by like a solid 5+ tiles and/or their accuracy buffed a bit so that they can compete with Rifles, and Shotguns need to do like twice as much damage as they do now.

e: They're also the most ammo efficient guns, and work the best in bad weather, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 17, 2023

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm on a 3060ti and was experiencing random and significant frame rate drops, knocking reflections down to medium solved all of my frame rate issues.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kris xK posted:

Honestly there's a bunch of cheap decent mercs that excel in one field (Mech, Exp, Med) that zeroing out those stats on your Imp and just dumping it all into agi, Dex and mark is a no brainer.

I'm curious to compare Merc stats from ja2 to JA3, as I feel they're more generous overall.

That's exactly what I did, all my custom mercs "attributes" are 85, as is marksman, while the other "skills" are zero.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's exactly what I did, all my custom mercs "attributes" are 85, as is marksman, while the other "skills" are zero.

Same, though I did divert a few points into explosives, since being able to throw grenades can be a god send sometimes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

AR and SMG def feel ehh. The damage penalty for burst is too high imo.

Looking through the files after work to see where thats defined internally.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It doesn't help that rifles tend to have high armor penetration, while SMGs don't, so those multiple bullets have their damage reduced too. It feels like an SMG should be halfway between an AR and a Shotgun, so you can pray and spray into a group and hit a bunch of them at once.