Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

dogstile posted:

Honestly, my melee dudes are my tanks. That 30 free health, the perk to drop to prone to free, the free move after hit? Holy poo poo, you're running around doing whatever you want.

If you get the one that lets you get grit for staying out of cover you barely need medics.

yeah Grit is a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flavahbeast posted:

When I did it the shotgun grandma caught most of the other grandmas in her cone of fire so they eventually bled to death

Yeah it seems like the AI simply does not care about friendly fire at all. I've seen lots of enemies unload into the backs of their buddies and I'm always careful when fighting alongside militia because they will absolutely do the same thing.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Got my hands on an HK21. This thing rips.

No one else is allowed to use 7.62x51 anymore. It all must feed the machine gun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have so much gunpowder that if i wasn't getting annoyed at having to constantly renew contracts i'd just spend a month making ammo.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

Is there a general sense of what the "expected" game progress route is?

I took Ernie island, went north to the mine and took that, took Pantagruel and Fleatown, then had the Biff call event, saved him, and now I'm getting a call to meet at the Refugee Camp. I gather that the Refugee Camp call is a turning point and may ramp up the difficulty? I haven't even explored more than half the map, but my squad has been finding all the recent fights easy (even the Biff waves of attacks, so I'm not sure if the Camp event is expected to hit around this point? Or should I defer it and take my time doing other things?

So I did the Refugee Camp after the call, and I think you're intended to go there soon after you get the call and not need to hold off on it.

I had 2 mines or so, so I had built up enough income to be able to afford renewing my 6 merc squad (minus the free IMP) on 14 day contracts and then some (maybe $100k?), and had armour on everyone and decent weapons. After going to the camp, I was able to take back the squares the army took pretty easily, maybe even using auto-resolve on some of them. Now I'm back to going through unseen squares the same as I did before the camp, and my militia plus a squad of 2 mercs has been enough to auto-resolve on any of the attacks from the military.

On average, it doesn't seem any harder than before the camp, you get access to heavy weapons and explosives from military attacks, so your squad can still deal with more dangerous enemies. I'm still overflowing with decent weapons -- I have enough Dragonuv's on a sector stash to kit out an entire squad.

The refugee camp fight itself was a little tricky, although it only took me 2 or 3 tries. I don't think there's a big reason to put off doing the fight, it seems to be pretty balanced around you being able to handle it and the 2nd act when it gets triggered.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm desperate for weapon parts near the end of the game, and it sucks having 75 of them evaporate because 91 mechanical skill Magic can't attach poo poo. Those could have been grenades!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How soon are you meant to do the camp? I got a bunch of quest failures from it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

dogstile posted:

How soon are you meant to do the camp? I got a bunch of quest failures from it.

I don't know if the community has found out the specific trigger, some say it's if you go far north you'll get the call from Biff then the call for the camp. I started out Ernie -> the mine in the north -> Pantagruel -> Fleatown -> Pantagruel before it triggered for me. I don't think it was too early nor too late when it triggered, the game has been at a normal difficulty before and after.

I didn't go to the camp before the call either, so I couldn't do any of those quests. I think that's fine in this game, it seems like you're expected to replay it a few times and do different quests each time. Some of the triggers in quests seem to be set up such that you have to know the right order of doing things to succeed in some of them (the Port Cacoa dump is one example, I failed it but I could see doing it in a different order would work well). From my gut feeling, I don't think there's a bad way of progressing through the game? It seems pretty well balanced for doing things in different orders, and to not expect a perfect run on your first time.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is there any disadvantage loot wise to using explosives? I’ve really started going nuts with Barry’s charges and have been gibbing dudes left and right

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think once you're kitted out, killing mooks efficiently is better than breaking down your 50th assault rifle.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is there any disadvantage loot wise to using explosives? I’ve really started going nuts with Barry’s charges and have been gibbing dudes left and right

I think enemies will still drop things if they get gibbed, it just shows up as a backpack on the ground rather than looting the body directly.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What qualifies as light for the fast runner perk? Any armor with light penetration protection? Or does it specifically have to say light in its name.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It specifically has to not say Heavy in the name/tooltip

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Perestroika posted:

So I just stumbled into the church ambush in Fleatown. Quick question: How possible/feasible/useful is it to save Smiley? Seems like he just gets shwacked turn one no matter what and I wonder if there's a point to trying to save him.

Training militia first makes that fight a lot easier, if you didn't already.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Not too sure I've seen it mentioned but I really enjoyed the Courage the Cowardly Dog show reference in Middle of Nowhere. A11, I think? Not sure why the couple wasn't explicitly Eustace or Muriel but the pink Hyena named Courage was very adorable :3:, though it took many, many tries to keep him alive with my worse team.

Really enjoying the game, and have my A team be my IMP merc that I focused on melee, then Barry and MD as middle range support, Igor and Ice as my snipers, and Livewire for watching flanks. Love setting up ambushes, playing like an action movie, and having Barry solve half an encounter with some shaped charges. My B team is Larry, Blood, Buns, and Tex. I'm still on the fence about Tex but when he is effective he's a great choice to cover someone in melee, and it's just fun to give him cowboy weapons and play into his love of action movies by tossing him into overly bold gambits to see if it'll work out, and he's skilled enough that it usually does, too.

The music is great, I think it looks and plays great except some issues in heavy weather or dense maps, and I love all the classic mercs and the ones new to the game as well. All the personalities and interesting abilities for each merc is really special, and it makes me want to play again with the rest of the mercs I haven't used yet, and to see what other strategies work out. I would love to see more mercs and guns, so an expansion or something would be certainly welcome in the future, though I haven't beaten the game yet.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Flavahbeast posted:

When I did it the shotgun grandma caught most of the other grandmas in her cone of fire so they eventually bled to death

Give a grandma a shotgun and what do you expect?

Shotgun Grandma gonna shotgun.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

dogstile posted:

Man that outpost by the refugee camp gets attacked a lot. I've got scully just sat there training militia full time, fully paying himself off because in the event of an actual fight I need to pay attention to his passive helps keep the elites alive.

Wait till you get to F13. Almost all enemies go through there, so you just see a queue of "assault squad", "diamonds", "assault", "diamonds" going through there. Just a permanent drops & money generator.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
The two crocodiles named STO and NY :stonklol:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

deep dish peat moss posted:

It specifically has to not say Heavy in the name/tooltip

Wait so I can rock Kevlar (medium armor) and be good? You sure? Cause hell yeah.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

geeko55 posted:

Not too sure I've seen it mentioned but I really enjoyed the Courage the Cowardly Dog show reference in Middle of Nowhere. A11, I think? Not sure why the couple wasn't explicitly Eustace or Muriel but the pink Hyena named Courage was very adorable :3:, though it took many, many tries to keep him alive with my worse team.

I thought I'd cleared that perfectly and then a car exploded and killed C after all the enemies were already dead :smith:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
:xcom:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Exodee posted:

They're all in the same neighborhood, IIRC one of them is actually inside an enemy camp.

If you enable "notes mode" on the map screen (the buttons in the lower-right corner) then it'll show you where they are alongside whatever other missions you have.

Thx! This solved it and I found them in the Fleatown Market.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

piratepilates posted:

It seems pretty well balanced for doing things in different orders, and to not expect a perfect run on your first time.

Yeah I just kinda shrugged it off, i'll do it next time.

Lima posted:

Training militia first makes that fight a lot easier, if you didn't already.

I actually had both my teams in fleatown for that fight.

Unlucky goons, you stumbled across my marksmanship training. Nice of you to assist.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I started yesterday and I’m loving it. It ain’t perfect but it really feels like JA and the combat is great

I think I’ve already screwed up, though. Wasted way too much time on the island before it came to me that the fort won’t provide me any income, so I should have taken the boat to that mine already

So I did it (only thing left to take in the island is the fort) but I now I have a week to take the mine and possibly the city too (if it works like JA2) and get enough income to renew my mercs. Probably too late?

I took the most obvious starting team (Fox, Livewire, Igor, Barry, Omrin), and that’s working great. I just wasted too much time, I guess

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Elias_Maluco posted:

I started yesterday and I’m loving it. It ain’t perfect but it really feels like JA and the combat is great

I think I’ve already screwed up, though. Wasted way too much time on the island before it came to me that the fort won’t provide me any income, so I should have taken the boat to that mine already

So I did it (only thing left to take in the island is the fort) but I now I have a week to take the mine and possibly the city too (if it works like JA2) and get enough income to renew my mercs. Probably too late?

I took the most obvious starting team (Fox, Livewire, Igor, Barry, Omrin), and that’s working great. I just wasted too much time, I guess

Naw, just take the mine, leave 4 basic militia at it and drive on the outpost on Ernie. In 3 runs I've had a diamond shipment at the outpost all 3 times, so you'll make a cool 12k after taking the outpost, which should take some pressure off your contract fees.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PsyClops posted:

Naw, just take the mine, leave 4 basic militia at it and drive on the outpost on Ernie. In 3 runs I've had a diamond shipment at the outpost all 3 times, so you'll make a cool 12k after taking the outpost, which should take some pressure off your contract fees.

But wont the mine only give decent income after I take the whole town and make it loyal, like in JA2?

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Elias_Maluco posted:

But wont the mine only give decent income after I take the whole town and make it loyal, like in JA2?

It should still be alright. Worst case is you train militia, let your contracts expire and have your IMP hang out for a bit.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Wtf, why can't I recruit Beast to my squad, cmon :negative:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Finally on the fourth try I finished N-Night without losing a single militia recruit or coffee bean gang member. I guess it just took playing it in the fog at night and splitting up because the enemies missed literally every single shot they made the entire fight.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

grate deceiver posted:

Wtf, why can't I recruit Beast to my squad, cmon :negative:

that was def unexpected, yeah.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It's annoying that unloaded weapons call it 7.62x51 (or x39?), but it's called 7.62 NATO (WP) when it's loaded. I guess there's some weapon nerd reason for it, but for someone who knows nothing about guns it's just confusing. I often find my self loading and unloading guns so I can keep straight which ammo goes where.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Recruiting Spike is actually a fairly involved set of calculations.

You need high reputation (75) to recruit the Major. Reputation gains:
Time penalty: -5 or -10 (Defeat the major within 1 or 2 months)
Take down outpost: 5/outpost (max 35)
Kill Graaf: 10
Kill Bastien: 5
Recruit Pierre: 25 (or Kill Pierre: 10)
Kill/Jail Elliot: 5
Complete right hand man: 5
Kill DrKronenberg: 5
Kill Chimurenga: 5
Kill Jackhammer: 10
Kill/Recruit Beast: 5
Kill/Recruit Flay: 5
Kill Colonel: 10
Defeat Corazon: 20
You were a merc like us, Spike: 5 (Hire Len/Gus/Ivan)
Your Legion could have performed better: 10 (Leadership >= 70)

50 will get you a piece of evidence against Corazon

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I don't know what I should be doing pre-engagement. Like beyond setting my guys up for someone to eventually take a hidden shot (which they seem to always miss) which then alerts the enemy. Should I be sneaking up and trying to melee solo enemies? Tossing explosives?

Also how do I tell the chance to hit an enemy? Or even if it isn't a specific % chance like XCOM, what should I be looking at to determine if a shot is worth taking or likely to miss? I understand the cover/armour icons but other than that I can't tell if a shot is likely to hit.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Popete posted:

I feel like I don't know what I should be doing pre-engagement. Like beyond setting my guys up for someone to eventually take a hidden shot (which they seem to always miss) which then alerts the enemy. Should I be sneaking up and trying to melee solo enemies? Tossing explosives?

Also how do I tell the chance to hit an enemy? Or even if it isn't a specific % chance like XCOM, what should I be looking at to determine if a shot is worth taking or likely to miss? I understand the cover/armour icons but other than that I can't tell if a shot is likely to hit.

There actually is a specific % chance but sometimes the shot won't hit because of a LOS blocking object in the path.

If you put overwatch cones on people before they get alerted you'll get 1-2 reaction shots on them while they're in the open. Knives are tough to make work. As to stealthing, you should be looking to use silenced sniper rifles to get isolated people, and work in pairs or trios where you can sometimes kill everyone who's surprised and get back into real-time mode.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

When you scrap a gun with ammo in it, do you get the ammo or do you have to unload first?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

When you scrap a gun with ammo in it, do you get the ammo or do you have to unload first?

You get the ammo, no need to unload.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
It seems like I've encountered my first really annoying bug: I'm about halfway through the game and all of a sudden some my squads can't travel anymore. As far as I can tell, this is brought on by visiting Fleatown - and I'm assuming it's the amount of items I've hoarded sector storage that does it. I've been using it as a hub and especially in the beginning when it didn't know what was going to be useful or not, I crammed those two squares full of useless stuff.

Has anyone else encountered this and possibly even found a solution?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

There actually is a specific % chance but sometimes the shot won't hit because of a LOS blocking object in the path.

If you put overwatch cones on people before they get alerted you'll get 1-2 reaction shots on them while they're in the open. Knives are tough to make work. As to stealthing, you should be looking to use silenced sniper rifles to get isolated people, and work in pairs or trios where you can sometimes kill everyone who's surprised and get back into real-time mode.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Is the % chance shown somewhere? I feel like I'm having trouble interpreting the shot UI and understanding why I shouldn't just always be shooting at the head (if unarmoured/uncovered).

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Popete posted:

Thanks, that's helpful.

Is the % chance shown somewhere? I feel like I'm having trouble interpreting the shot UI and understanding why I shouldn't just always be shooting at the head (if unarmoured/uncovered).

Not showing the actual percentage was a deliberate design decision, but the devs also put a mod on the Steam workshop that enables them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Panzeh posted:

The overwatch engagement mechanic is one that bothers me a bit. It lets you take shots before they potentially run behind cover, but the shots aren't ideal (not headshots which are about 100% accuracy with decent snipers) and they cost AP. I get that it would be OP to still be able to take a full turn but since the enemy gets some movement in and I've put in the effort to set up a surprise attack I'd still expect to take a full turn after it starts.

I basically never used overwatch to set up ambushes after realizing that. I'd rather just set up crossfire positions and take the shots I want. If I'm wrong about the mechanics please correct me, maybe it was only the person I took an action with, but I remember having no AP after combat started.