Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Glagha posted:

I'm waiting for the moment that Baki starts talking about semen retention

Actually that happens in Itagaki's biographical JDSF manga :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Have we ever seen jack with a woman?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
He gave up carnal pleasure in pursuit of STRENGTH

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Thoren posted:

is that a drug of some kind?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Chiharu fight is loving great, face-to-foot style except it's real and it actually works.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Thoren posted:

We can assume with the rampant steroid use that Jack's balls are two craisins and he hasn't been able to get hard in over a decade.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larry Cum Free posted:

We can assume with the rampant steroid use that Jack's balls are two craisins and he hasn't been able to get hard in over a decade.

He straight up says he's impotent due to all the hosed up poo poo he has done to his body when fighting Pickle.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Spaghetti Yujiro

Hajime No Retsu

The Miso Soup Arc

This series is silly.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I decided to read the whole thing through from the start of Grappler Baki and man it's a hell of a series. Sometimes it feels almost like a more 'standard' fighting comic but then it'll swerve into some insane poo poo while barely breaking a stride like the Yasha Ape and Not-Andre-The-Giant, or suddenly changing from "yeah black people are good fighters and are normal insomuch as anyone in this series looks normal" to showing off the most breath-takingly racist backstory of a dude I've read in years. Yujirou is here and even from his first appearance is the clear final boss but isn't god-tier untouchable until maybe halfway through the first manga and even then he can still get hosed up by a dart-gun and big net. We never did find out who held that door shut did we? Also women don't exist or talk except for like four, and two of them exist to get fed to Yujirou so maybe it's fine there aren't more.

I'm about 100 chapters into the prisoner arc now and it's starting to show more signs of 'modern' Baki because the focus is a lot more on other characters than the Maximum Tournament and just kind of starts wandering around like "Hey this new guy? He's strong too let's watch him for a bit" which is great since Gouki, Retsu, Katsumi get to start being real characters and not just tournament opponents. Hasn't started doing the vox-populi interviews of random civilians yet, looking forward to that.

Did Itagaki ever get in trouble for Not-Antonio-Inoki?

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

I think jack has what it takes to win

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

jacking off (injecting an experimental cocktail of animal drugs into my urethra)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wait hold on who was holding that door

Thoren
May 28, 2008
https://manatoki305.net/comic/16936853

Baki Rahen chapter 2 (Korean scans)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pierson posted:

Did Itagaki ever get in trouble for Not-Antonio-Inoki?

There's a shitload of Inoki stand-ins on a lot of Martial Arts manga like Tough or Agnes Mask and they are way more villainous or close to villainous in those. When Inoki died, there was even a tribute chapter for him where Igari is supposedly dying on a hospital bed but gets out of it to gently caress up a random MMA dude lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thoren posted:

https://manatoki305.net/comic/16936853

Baki Rahen chapter 2 (Korean scans)

Kureha fodder time...

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
there’s a lot of crazier stuff of course but to me “Jack Hammer is actually… Jack Hanma!!” will always be the funniest plot twist in Baki

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Has Kozue appeared since the sumo arc started?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Who

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
She isn't real, Baki just created her from his imagination to get a one-time sex powerup.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Id believe it tbh

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's very funny when during the Muhammed Ali Jr 'arc' after Jr has made Yujirou mad as poo poo, fought in the Kaiou tournament and scored some wins from the supporting cast I guess Itagaki just decides "alright I'm done with this" and everyone comes back and just beats the poo poo outta him over and over until he is wrapped in Looney Tunes amounts of bandages, Doppo makes him cry and it ends with the man himself Muhammed Ali Sr coming back to say "Junior my son I overcame Parkinsons to come beat your rear end".

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pierson posted:

It's very funny when during the Muhammed Ali Jr 'arc' after Jr has made Yujirou mad as poo poo, fought in the Kaiou tournament and scored some wins from the supporting cast I guess Itagaki just decides "alright I'm done with this" and everyone comes back and just beats the poo poo outta him over and over until he is wrapped in Looney Tunes amounts of bandages, Doppo makes him cry and it ends with the man himself Muhammed Ali Sr coming back to say "Junior my son I overcame Parkinsons to come beat your rear end".

The man thought he could step to the Hanmas, and the universe had to punish him for this.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They were all fine with letting him get some wins until they found out he was trying to get with Kozue

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Pootybutt posted:

The man thought he could step to the Hanmas, and the universe had to punish him for this.
The fight was two chapters long and Baki just annihilates him instantly, no respect, and moves on to challenge Yujirou while Jr cries backstage as his dad walks away from him. Incredible, nobody else does it like Itagaki.

I'm onto Son of Ogre now and hyped as hell because I remember this was where things got truly crazy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

One of the things I find funniest is that I've seen people get weird about Kozue giving Jr the time of day like she's betraying Baki even though Baki explicitly is like "gently caress it I don't own her she's a big girl she can make her own decisions" which is weirdly mature for this sort of media.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

everyone in baki is poly because their one main love is fightin

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Glagha posted:

One of the things I find funniest is that I've seen people get weird about Kozue giving Jr the time of day like she's betraying Baki even though Baki explicitly is like "gently caress it I don't own her she's a big girl she can make her own decisions" which is weirdly mature for this sort of media.

Kozue was all like, "I mean...good luck w that"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Kozue was all like, "I mean...good luck w that"

she 100% was dating him out of pity

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finally started the Pickle arc and ooof I forgot it started with Pickle assaulting that lady (a lady with a name no less, in a decade or so we may yet see double-digit number of women in Baki). At least it immediately moves past it and gets to the brady bunch reunion at the treehouse with Yujirou making Katsumi look like a dumbass and walking through plate glass. Everyone except Baki then just goes "yeah we know this guy is a national treasure for the whole world but idc, I'm gonna fight him". I guess the combo of Not-Albert-Einstein, Strydum, and old man Tokugawa is stronger than every government on the planet because the result is Retsu running at a caveman wind-milling his arms and crying before Big Ghost Retsu saves him (temporarily).

edit;

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 30, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orochi busting out of the fake dinosaur is the funniest poo poo in an already funny sequence.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I feel like the author really took a huge poo poo on Retsu, a lot

Dude got completely humiliated by Pickle

And then got completely humiliated by Musashi - and actually killed. Almost none of the main cast gets actually killed

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
He got that funny isekai out of the deal though, so it all works out

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He got a Saiyan zenkai after dying too bc the Ogre he fought on isekai world was Pickle-level

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Now he can talk about his 4000 Years Of Chinese Martial Arts(TM) to goblins and the rest of us can take a break hearing about how modern Karate is where Kenpo was 3000 years ago.

Zzulu posted:

I feel like the author really took a huge poo poo on Retsu, a lot
I think the author gets bored with some characters and once that happens they will eat L after L until they either slink away from the narrative for years (hi Motobe) or get used for guest appearances if needed like "oh this scene needs a doctor, Kureha is a doctor!".

edit:

Yes! Hahaha!! Yes!!!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 30, 2023

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's a shame because like, Retsu is one of the most interesting members of the cast because he actually has like, an arc and acts like a human being more than a crazy fight monster. I still have no idea what his deal is with the boxing thing though. He just shows up and is like "I wanna join your boxing gym" refuses to learn anything about boxing, then kinda just flattens all the boxers but then is like boxing's still pretty cool though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plutonis posted:

He got a Saiyan zenkai after dying too bc the Ogre he fought on isekai world was Pickle-level

I don't think he got physically stronger. He just learned from his past experiences what worked and what doesn't.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Yeah the boxing b plot was inexplicable to me, I guess he was getting back in the groove after losing his leg?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The entire sport must pay for Ali Jr.'s hubris

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The sport was treated with far more respect than Ali jr tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I loved the Retsu boxing plot