Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Pardon me but what mid-late 90s were you people inhabiting because in my mid-late 90s text parsers had been extinct for nearly a decade

Anyway despite all the odds against such a thing Homestuck is still attracting new readers to this day. The community may never be what it was in 2012 but having lived through what the community was like I'm 2012 I will go ahead and say that's not altogether a bad thing.

Imo the absolute worst time and place to be a fan is 2019-present on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, Hussie isn’t exactly doing anything to build a community. He unceremoniously nuked the forums, didn’t create a replacement, and didn’t even bother with a discord.

And you know, that’s his prerogative. Marinating in Homestuck for a decade of your life may not warm you up to the idea of maintaining an official community site of any stripe. And it’s not like fans don’t build organic communities of their own. The lack of anything new regarding Homestuck besides rare sightings of Hiveswap Act 3 at a convention every one or two years like a cryptid doesn’t help.

Do you think we’ll actually see a completed Homestuck 2?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Definitely not. I think fan response being so mixed (and in some cases hostile) was deeply discouraging to the HS2 creators.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Plom Bar posted:

This is true of anything that has metastasized into a twitter or facebook group. The website gravity is squeezing everything into poo poo for ad revenue.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Plom Bar posted:

Pardon me but what mid-late 90s were you people inhabiting because in my mid-late 90s text parsers had been extinct for nearly a decade

I may have worded that badly, I meant the mid 90's specifically for point and click adventures, text parsers died earlier. I mostly remember in the 90s we had one of those Kings Quest games where you had to hit a yeti with a pie and I feel like I stopped seeing those kinds of games by, like, 1999 when Lucasarts and Sierra stopped making them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pants Donkey posted:

I was a Patreon supporter (yeah, I'm a sucker) and they told us that HS2 was absolutely continuing, and that the difference was that it wouldn't be published until complete. Take that for what it's worth.

quote:

The worst place in terms of decay, absolutely. The worst place in terms of intra-fan loathing, Tumblr continues to be the champ.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was a Patreon supporter (yeah, I'm a sucker) and they told us that HS2 was absolutely continuing, and that the difference was that it wouldn't be published until complete. Take that for what it's worth.
Well using the previous Homestuck Kickstarter for precedence, we can expect Homestuck 2 to finish in roughly 2050.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pants Donkey posted:

Well using the previous Homestuck Kickstarter for precedence, we can expect Homestuck 2 to finish in roughly 2050.
I'll be sure to leave my Patreon account to my hypothetical grandkids. (When they stopped debiting because of shutting down HS2, they said "but keep your account, we want to reward you." Shrug.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I lurk a few tumblrs still and their anonymous posters seem like some of the most psychotic people online short of channers or something

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

For those wanting actual proof that Hussie is done with Homestuck, the What Pumpkin site has it at the top of the page from like two years ago.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
If kids are still interested in old style forums you can definitely send them over to Gaiaonline, which is still going. It is unfortunately pretty monetized but the site's basic functionality can still be enjoyed without spending any money

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I may have worded that badly, I meant the mid 90's specifically for point and click adventures, text parsers died earlier. I mostly remember in the 90s we had one of those Kings Quest games where you had to hit a yeti with a pie and I feel like I stopped seeing those kinds of games by, like, 1999 when Lucasarts and Sierra stopped making them.
There was a point-and-click crash, but they've resurged with the indie developers. If you like that sort of thing, Machinarium by Amanita Design is both beautiful and challenging; IIRC I only had to look up two puzzles.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Pants Donkey posted:

For those wanting actual proof that Hussie is done with Homestuck, the What Pumpkin site has it at the top of the page from like two years ago.

This was known, but also after Sarah Z posted her retrospective Hussie seemed perfectly content and comfortable talking to her in an apparently official capacity for several weeks, which would have been after this announcement was posted.

Mind you, I can't fully discount the possibility that the correspondence he had with Sarah Z was more of his usual clownshittery. Which is not me saying he's a genius puppetmaster playing 7th dimension chess, more that I have no trouble imagining that he's the kind of guy that would fancy himself as such and compose himself accordingly.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The Sarah Z thing so, so bizarre. I genuinely don't know what anyone was thinking and it would seem that some of the people involved weren't thinking and were just plowing forward based on what they thought Sarah said, without actually watching any of her video before hand.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I honestly just found it to be a very frustrating video. Some pretty hosed up things clearly happened, and Sarah Z was too busy trying to own these small business losers for the horrifying crime of “sent a youtuber a vague legal threat” to actually get more of the story. Instead, she gives Hussie a clown voiceover and ignores 90% of the emails’ contents, since they don’t have anything to do with the important “people I was rude about online weren’t nice to me” story.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's just big joel's normal speaking voice.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

This was known, but also after Sarah Z posted her retrospective Hussie seemed perfectly content and comfortable talking to her in an apparently official capacity for several weeks, which would have been after this announcement was posted.

Mind you, I can't fully discount the possibility that the correspondence he had with Sarah Z was more of his usual clownshittery. Which is not me saying he's a genius puppetmaster playing 7th dimension chess, more that I have no trouble imagining that he's the kind of guy that would fancy himself as such and compose himself accordingly.
Someone asked for evidence, so that was just and fyi.

And he still owns the IP and the companies working on whatever products are hypothetically being produced. So while he may not be creatively involved with Homestuck for the foreseeable future, he still has to sign off on stuff and handle PR (or more wisely, hire someone else to handle PR).

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The problem is Hussie keeps acting like that even when people are asking the, entirely reasonable, question of why Kickstarter backers haven't been updated for years on end.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Pants Donkey posted:

Someone asked for evidence, so that was just and fyi.

And he still owns the IP and the companies working on whatever products are hypothetically being produced. So while he may not be creatively involved with Homestuck for the foreseeable future, he still has to sign off on stuff and handle PR (or more wisely, hire someone else to handle PR).

Wait then what did Viz buy? Just the publishing rights?

Also, this popped up in my recommended and was a good commentary on Homestuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btv68SAk-oM

Kazy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 31, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I thought Viz just had merchandising/merch rights. If they were calling the shots I imagine things would have been handled more coherently if not necessarily “better.”

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Iirc Viz don't own HS^2 (not listed in the copyright) or any of the game IP.

Slashed Out
Jul 27, 2022
I believe Hussie tried to have Viz fund HS^2, but they didn't want to.

This, combined with the fact that it went ahead anyway (just unrelatedly to Viz in any capacity) would indicate that they primarily have (and care about) publishing rights for Homestuck, the Epilogues and potentially other assorted MSPA stuff (what with the website move and all).

Speaking of the website move, a fun fact - there are a bunch of old php files still accessible on the old website because the old website is very haphazardly arranged. Travel back in time to 2008 by visiting /images/test_index.php !

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Slashed Out posted:

I believe Hussie tried to have Viz fund HS^2, but they didn't want to.

This, combined with the fact that it went ahead anyway (just unrelatedly to Viz in any capacity) would indicate that they primarily have (and care about) publishing rights for Homestuck, the Epilogues and potentially other assorted MSPA stuff (what with the website move and all).

Speaking of the website move, a fun fact - there are a bunch of old php files still accessible on the old website because the old website is very haphazardly arranged. Travel back in time to 2008 by visiting /images/test_index.php !

Every site on Hussie's Cool People list is gone except for Perry Bible Fellowship. Definitely an artifact of a lost era!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Yeah, I checked all of those as well. I know some are still active in one way or another like Tauhid Bondia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Somehow, we're still stuck home.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rko posted:

I actually just finished the sequels and epilogues (and a lot of the thread) for the first time after coming to the original series in the hilarious year of 2021. I’m disappointed to have waited so long to catch up because of the bad reputation—I honestly liked all of it, with the exception of some HS^2 choices that, frankly, I would’ve just kept reading past if more had existed.

It’s wild that in all this reading, I’ve rarely seen anyone talk about the experience of Homestuck as a complete object, because it works very well as one. It’s also a bizarrely complete record of coming of age in the Obama administration/the death of the open internet, like a comic time capsule. And, honestly, a lot of those themes and ideas are harder to crack open when most Homestuck analyses get so focused on the 2009-2016 reader experience.

I also read it late (when it was pretty close to ending, I think during the last long pause in updates before the final stretch), and feel pretty much the same. Taken by itself, it's really good. It's a shame that it has the sort of reputation it does, because I think a lot of people who avoid it would actually enjoy it. I think it's at its weakest near the end when it becomes more purely about the character relationships (not that this is all bad, there's some good stuff there, but it doesn't really play to the series' strengths), but it still stays funny throughout. My opinion of the switch to the second group of kids is pretty positive, while I know most readers consider that a major turning point for the worse.

I think Hussie's biggest talent was with creating character voices. That's always been the thing that stood out to me the most. Content written by other Homestuck authors can be pretty good with this, but it's always missing something in a way that makes the new characters less compelling.

(This is solely about "mainline" Homestuck; I haven't read most of the side stuff, like the games or anything beyond the beginning of ^2)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hussie is really excellent at characterisation, yeah. I think this is the core of what makes Homestuck continually compelling, underneath the attractive layer of metaphysics and animation and mysteries. Near the end I think some character voices start to wobble, but for most of the comic's run it's amazingly strong.

He talked in an old Formspring answer about how you can "cheat" with character voice by just making up some simple rule about how the character always/never talks, then following that rule, and people will say, wow, that's good characterisation! I think about that a lot. The typing quirks are kind of a manifestation of this, but he does it in other ways too, it often actually is good characterisation, and I think the way in which he describes it as "cheating" is quite funny and indicative of his unique view on art. Kind of like Caliborn cheating at drawing circles by drawing them one square at a time.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
The best proof of that, IMHO, is Problem Sleuth - no dialogue, yet you still know lots about each character's personality. We've never heard Ace Dick talk, but we could probably make a drat good guess how he sounds.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Android Blues posted:

He talked in an old Formspring answer about how you can "cheat" with character voice by just making up some simple rule about how the character always/never talks, then following that rule, and people will say, wow, that's good characterisation! I think about that a lot. The typing quirks are kind of a manifestation of this, but he does it in other ways too, it often actually is good characterisation, and I think the way in which he describes it as "cheating" is quite funny and indicative of his unique view on art. Kind of like Caliborn cheating at drawing circles by drawing them one square at a time.

Everything Hussie has ever said about the creative process makes me realise that he doesn't actually understand how art works, but he's still accidentally just kind of a genius.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Everything Hussie has ever said about the creative process makes me realise that he doesn't actually understand how art works, but he's still accidentally just kind of a genius.

I think his perspective on art is immensely singular, for sure. I'd say he understands it really well, insofar as like, any creative develops their own understanding of art that focuses on some things to the exclusion of others. There are definitely blind spots and baffling statements here and there, but also really useful insights.

He has this sort of 19th century transcendentalist writer approach to just making up theories about narrative form and being like, source, I made this up based on my understanding of mythopoeia and it seems right to me. Which, honestly? Not so different from what Joseph Campbell was doing, and every mainstream writer has at least some respect for that guy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, that's probably a lot more accurate than saying he doesn't understand it. Singular is a much better word to use.

And don't get me wrong, I find his approach fascinating , I bought all the hard copy volumes of the comic mainly so I could read his commentary.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Not so different from what Joseph Campbell was doing, and every mainstream writer has at least some respect for that guy.
Oh, hell, no. Ask any woman writer what she thinks of Joseph Campbell.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

(This is solely about "mainline" Homestuck; I haven't read most of the side stuff, like the games or anything beyond the beginning of ^2)

It’s pretty interesting stuff, imo, as is Psycholonials, but it’s very easy to see why none of it is popular, as it’s entirely moody post-Obama leftist angst/bitter self-criticism. HS^2 seemed like it had stuff to say (and at some point had to actually redeem the characters who had heel turns), so I think it’s annoying it got shut down as it was really taking off, but so it goes.

cptn_dr posted:

I think it’s probably more that they’re bad at communicating the process—have you read those blogposts or emails? It also doesn’t help that a ton of what they say about writing Homestuck is wrapped up in layers of irony even when they’re not doing orange-faced Andrew Hussie The Character bits.

On the other hand, they’re all just neat writing tricks. Hussie’s right that 95% of characterization is voice/diction, that readers love filling in the gaps of a half-shown pattern, that serialization is always a process of retconing the story into place, that if you keep repeating the joke it gets funny again, etc.

Lot to learn from Homestuck, honestly!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ironically (or then again, maybe not) I think Hussie's biggest failing as an author is that even after writing a bunch of really good words about irony, they're still totally irony-poisoned and can't get closer to "being sincere with the reader" than about three layers of detachment behind a pair of sunglasses.

Or at least they were about ten years ago when they dropped off the face of the internet. Hard to say what a person is like after they stopped existing.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Psycholonials came out in 2021, and if you don’t get suckered into reading the whole thing as an extended autobiography about writing Homestuck (it’s an autobiography about voting for Bernie Sanders lol), I think it makes Hussie’s deal clear—though it was just as clear with Dirk, Caliborn, Vriska, etc., as it is with Psycholonial’s Z.

Which is all to say that Hussie understands The Power Of Committing To The Bit, of taking the ironypilled cartoon character that used to be yourself and careening about in a reality show you build around your life. And I think their conclusion is basically correct: you can’t really build anything sincerely good on a foundation of bullshit.

(It’s funny, because the Detective Pony fanfic actually goes into some depth on this, particularly all the Greek-language bits I can’t remember clearly enough to namedrop. Good read!)

Now, the fact that Hussie still can’t communicate any of that straightforwardly is the part that even they agree is tragically funny. Part of why I’d like to read the end of HS^2 is to know how they would redeem Dirk—none of Hussie’s other author-avatar figures have ever been given that opportunity, as Zhen’s retreat in Psycholonial’s ending feels like blackpilled self-critique to me.

I wouldn’t be surprised for Hussie to pop back up sometime in the next year, in any case. Pretty clear they’re done with public-facing social media, but I don’t think they’re the type of person to stop working or shut up. But who can say!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, hell, no. Ask any woman writer what she thinks of Joseph Campbell.

I mean, my opinion on Joseph Campbell is that he was hashing together bits of Jung into occasional insight, and he was often sexist - but he's also totally inescapable in any kind of mass media writing. Screenwriting especially, almost every structure in modern film and TV is based on Campbell somehow. If you go into that space like, actually, I think we scrap the Hero's Journey arc on this one, you stop being mainstream.

His sexism was of the kind endemic to the theorists he was pulling from, and it wobbled between descriptive and prescriptive - sometimes he was saying "this is what tends to happen in stories" and sometimes "this is what must happen in stories". The former's fine and is the approach taken by much of feminist lit crit. The latter's bad, and much of it was influenced by the psychoanalytic milieu he was referencing, which often stated sexist ideas as essential truths. So that's one woman writer's opinion on Campbell!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I mean, my opinion on Joseph Campbell is that he was hashing together bits of Jung into occasional insight, and he was often sexist - but he's also totally inescapable in any kind of mass media writing. Screenwriting especially, almost every structure in modern film and TV is based on Campbell somehow. If you go into that space like, actually, I think we scrap the Hero's Journey arc on this one, you stop being mainstream.

His sexism was of the kind endemic to the theorists he was pulling from, and it wobbled between descriptive and prescriptive - sometimes he was saying "this is what tends to happen in stories" and sometimes "this is what must happen in stories". The former's fine and is the approach taken by much of feminist lit crit. The latter's bad, and much of it was influenced by the psychoanalytic milieu he was referencing, which often stated sexist ideas as essential truths. So that's one woman writer's opinion on Campbell!
That was quite interesting, thank you!

I don't think (and I am usually wrong about predicting Homestuck) Dirk is intended to be redeemed. I think he's not going to get the big destroyed-by-the-mighty-sword-of-Dave ending he dreams of.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't think (and I am usually wrong about predicting Homestuck) Dirk is intended to be redeemed. I think he's not going to get the big destroyed-by-the-mighty-sword-of-Dave ending he dreams of.

Maybe not redeemed, but saved from the megalomaniacal transdimensional suicidal villain thing he’s got going on, certainly. Like you said, given that he’s the self-appointed bad guy and wants to be beheaded for it, pretty easy to bet his goal will be denied. And if he’s not dead, I don’t think he’ll just get stuffed in the fridge like Gamzee, so you basically have to at least show him getting started on some manner of redemption.

(Plus, HS^2 already previewed this with the somewhat amusing Jane-and-Jasprose interlude bits, which might have previously been backer-only.)

Plus, just from a Doylist perspective, nobody involved in the epilogues or sequel projects really strike me as the sort of people who’d cheerfully join Hussie in burying Homestuck and its cast. I’ve read their fanfics and talked to a few of them, and like, there’s no world where Hussie convinced all these sincere Homestuck fans to turn half the cast into monsters without some indication that it would head towards a new ending that was at least as happy as the old one.

Sadly, the entire thing disappeared up its own rear end. So it goes. But I don’t think “HS^2 would’ve had a happy ending for the main protagonists of Homestuck” is a wild theory.

E: I wrote a whole post “yes, and”-ing Scrree using 500 words, but I’ve already said enough in this old dead thread probably

rko fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 1, 2023

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Less 'vanished up it's own rear end' and more 'harassed into submission' afaik? like I don't know all of the inside baseball, but as someone who was catching updates when they went live it seemed to me that the team got effectively coerced into dissolving the project by the intensity of the animosity being directed towards them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Scrree posted:

Less 'vanished up it's own rear end' and more 'harassed into submission' afaik? like I don't know all of the inside baseball, but as someone who was catching updates when they went live it seemed to me that the team got effectively coerced into dissolving the project by the intensity of the animosity being directed towards them.

Including a lot of vile anti-trans stuff IIRC.