Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats sounds pretty cool, Ill try it

Be sure to read some guides since Long War changes basically every mechanic on pretty fundamental levels and pretty much throws you in the deep end immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I wish Phoenix Point was more fun, but last time I looked at it the game had a lotta problems.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yardbomb posted:

I wish Phoenix Point was more fun, but last time I looked at it the game had a lotta problems.

Giving you a max of six guys (far less with vehicles) on a mission brutally killed the thing for me, i understand why that design decision gets made, but it really sucks. Just give me all the people i can take and give the enemy more people to challenge that.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Did anyone play Phantom Doctrine?

I remember being vaguely intrigued when it was announced because of the turn based tactics + Cold War espionage setting, but never picked it up and the name is generic enough that I kept confusing it with other games.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Phoenix Point had a cool tactical combat system, located on an interesting spot between XCOM move-and-attack and JA-like complexity

But everything else was so bland. Specially the strategic layer and character progression

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

a podcast for cats posted:

I remember being vaguely intrigued when it was announced because of the turn based tactics + Cold War espionage setting, but never picked it up and the name is generic enough that I kept confusing it with other games.

I did, it was pretty fun for a while. I liked the setting and aesthetic, I liked the spin on the formula where you don't necessarily want to kill everyone on the map. Ultimately I didn't finish it because there wasn't enough mission and tileset variety, after a while you're just doing the same thing over and over.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Panzeh posted:

Giving you a max of six guys (far less with vehicles) on a mission brutally killed the thing for me, i understand why that design decision gets made, but it really sucks. Just give me all the people i can take and give the enemy more people to challenge that.

You can take more than 6, just show up with more than 6 dudes. Steal another airship.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I installed Phoenix point, booted up a game, snuck up on a dude and shot him in the back of the head with a shotgun at point blank range, then he reacted by turning around and shooting me and doing 3x the amount of damage I did to him, still on my turn.

Quickest uninstall ever.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Elias_Maluco posted:

Phoenix Point had a cool tactical combat system, located on an interesting spot between XCOM move-and-attack and JA-like complexity

But everything else was so bland. Specially the strategic layer and character progression

Making everything sidegrades really took any interest out of research

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

a podcast for cats posted:

grate deceiver posted:

I did, it was pretty fun for a while. I liked the setting and aesthetic, I liked the spin on the formula where you don't necessarily want to kill everyone on the map. Ultimately I didn't finish it because there wasn't enough mission and tileset variety, after a while you're just doing the same thing over and over.
It's deff one of those games where you don't want to sit around on the map and grind up too much. While you're grinding you'll repeat the maps over and over and over then when you finally tackle a Story Mission you'll have to do some pre-Story grinding after it on that same stuff.

What scares me is there's a longer New Game+ campaign with an expanded story.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Croccers posted:

It's deff one of those games where you don't want to sit around on the map and grind up too much. While you're grinding you'll repeat the maps over and over and over then when you finally tackle a Story Mission you'll have to do some pre-Story grinding after it on that same stuff.

What scares me is there's a longer New Game+ campaign with an expanded story.

I tried to do New Game+ and just couldn't. I love all of the concepts in the game (apart from the the weird 'drugs to make your guys better' system) but just couldn't handle how slow turns play even on fast setting.

I thought in particular the 'awareness' combat model as a particularly interesting spin in the genre.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I liked the awareness system too.
Goons were able to be easily gunned down goons, heavies took a touch more effort, but it was the agents that were more hardy.
Or you could bypass that and just run up to them pointblank and dome them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly i think if they really wanted to capture the action movie feel, they should crank the number of enemies up a lot, and then nerf their action economy, or even simplify how they work- like, enemies can only move or attack, something like that to keep the turn times down.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Honestly i think if they really wanted to capture the action movie feel, they should crank the number of enemies up a lot, and then nerf their action economy, or even simplify how they work- like, enemies can only move or attack, something like that to keep the turn times down.

So basically the entire last act of Commando.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Give the enemies mook chivalry rules where they can only attack one at a time per turn.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
My friend just beat the game and both he and I never saw the M82 drop in our game. I was able to find every other gun, including several copies of rare guns like the G36, but the M82 appears to be unobtainium.

I did end up liking the PSG-1 as my endgame sniper since it didn't have cumbersome and I found the free move useful on occasion for shooting and scooting and getting yourself into more advantageous positions. But I would have liked to have a platform for using all the .50 cal I had by the endgame that was better than the rechambered Desert Eagle.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It’s a random only drop from chests/interactables whereas you can get a guaranteed psg-1 from Landsbach so it’s not uncommon to never find one.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I found one one in my playthrough but it was so late in the game that I barely got any use out of it. I wonder if the weapon shipment thing that was added last patch will make them a bit more obtainable.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, are the new weapon shipment convoys any good? God knows I stopped caring about diamond shipments after a while, but if some jerks are carrying a shiny new gun, I might go out of my way to bump them off every time.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Just got this game and enjoying it - never played the old ones but love me some turn based gun tactics!

Is there a good primer on beginner tips, and things the tutorial doesn't cover? I'm trying to get a handle on shot likelihood but I'm used to Xcom hand holding - I keep missing most of my shots except for sniper headshots, and I want to get a better grip on the mechanics.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

JosefStalinator posted:

Just got this game and enjoying it - never played the old ones but love me some turn based gun tactics!

Is there a good primer on beginner tips, and things the tutorial doesn't cover? I'm trying to get a handle on shot likelihood but I'm used to Xcom hand holding - I keep missing most of my shots except for sniper headshots, and I want to get a better grip on the mechanics.

There is a mod called "descriptive chance to hit" that will give a bit more info without outright telling you the percentage to hit like XCOM, I think it's better than the vanilla just because it shows more of the "weight" of negative buffs like weather or darkness. If the little bar below the reticle is past the line or flashing it means you are out of effective range of the gun too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

moot the hopple posted:

My friend just beat the game and both he and I never saw the M82 drop in our game. I was able to find every other gun, including several copies of rare guns like the G36, but the M82 appears to be unobtainium.

I did end up liking the PSG-1 as my endgame sniper since it didn't have cumbersome and I found the free move useful on occasion for shooting and scooting and getting yourself into more advantageous positions. But I would have liked to have a platform for using all the .50 cal I had by the endgame that was better than the rechambered Desert Eagle.

I got like 5 in my first game, but didint find one yet in my second (but I’m not halfway trough yet)

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Also, the best mechanics strat seems to be abusing the hide feature. If some enemy is out of effective range, just step around an object to break line of sight then click hide and the enemy will spend all of its AP next turn running towards that area. Then you can just pop out, still hidden, and take them out with a much closer and more likely shot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, hide is very op, so much I think it needs a nerf

Even up during the day you can hide and become invisible for enemies like 10 meters away with no cover, is kinda ridiculous

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JosefStalinator posted:

A big thing when it comes to shot accuracy is your mercs will say how likely they think they are to hit. It's obviously very vague and they aren't always right (optimistic/pessimistic mercs will over/under estimate their chances to hit respectively) but it's enough to let you get a feel for what kinds of ranges and shots are plausible. Usually taking unaimed shots is a gamble except maybe at point blank range, so you should avoid doing that unless it's all you have the AP left for and don't want the merc to do anything else with it. Single shots are also more accurate than burst fire.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, hide is very op, so much I think it needs a nerf

Even up during the day you can hide and become invisible for enemies like 10 meters away with no cover, is kinda ridiculous

My IMP-only campaign has CQC and night ops with fast runner and frog Leaping perks and I try to only do combat at night in the rain/fog to just be an absolute menace.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

lol picked a box in Landsbach and

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

Oh poo poo son

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Honestly though, I'm pretty much just running a victory lap on the game at this point this run

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah if you want to get a good gun early, the Landsbach area has some easy boxes that will drop some of the best guns in the game, especially if you're willing to savescum.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Yardbomb posted:

In my last game i got that one in one the Major base, which I attacked last so it was at the very end of the game for me. Ended up never even using it, but it does looks cool

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to get a hang of the game mechanics, but I'm curious about something:

I've ended up getting a bit gamey with my squad - 3/4 of them are using that early German sniper rifle, and just doing a headshot each turn. I can usually park my squad in some high ground/corner and they completely destroy any approaching enemies before they even get close.

Will this change later? Is this just a gamey mechanic that's OP and I'll need to force myself to try other tactics? Seems a bit disappointing if that's the optimal strategy, just running 4 snipers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm starting to get a hang of the game mechanics, but I'm curious about something:

I've ended up getting a bit gamey with my squad - 3/4 of them are using that early German sniper rifle, and just doing a headshot each turn. I can usually park my squad in some high ground/corner and they completely destroy any approaching enemies before they even get close.

Will this change later? Is this just a gamey mechanic that's OP and I'll need to force myself to try other tactics? Seems a bit disappointing if that's the optimal strategy, just running 4 snipers.

Snipers are the best weapons in the game, though enemies will become more difficult to beat with that later. You'll get better sniper rifles and you won't have so much ammo squeeze if you just do that.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

JosefStalinator posted:

Will this change later?

Later enemies will use mortars and underslung launchers so you can't just camp out with snipers, but yeah, they stay very good weapons throughout the game

That being said, I would recommend trying out the shotguns - aside from requiring some other tactics, they're a good choice for high-agility mercs with poor marksmanship, and you can get a really good one in Port Cacao

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Embrace explosives for later enemies, you can do some terrible things to clumps of enemies just keeping one dude packing an RPG even.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 11, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

overeager overeater posted:

Later enemies will use mortars and underslung launchers so you can't just camp out with snipers, but yeah, they stay very good weapons throughout the game

I fixed this by shooting those with my snipers first.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The m82 should get an ability to obliterate cover since it’s not like there are vehicles in the game you’d otherwise be using the anti materiel part for.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My most wanted feature right now is some way to dispatch stuff from one sector you control to another without having to use mercs as mules

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

My most wanted feature right now is some way to dispatch stuff from one sector you control to another without having to use mercs as mules

Yeah the game would do alright with an airport or two so you can logistics things a little more than just eventually doing an on-foot loot sweep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
I'd be fine with using mercs as mules if there were vehicles to make travel quicker. This game could really use Skyrider.