Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fedule posted:

Wait a drat minute. The Watch Ultra is Titanium. The iPhone Pro is Titanium.

Could it be? Are they gonna...?

No, you can't make a cleaning cloth out of titanium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mister Facetious posted:

No, you can't make a cleaning cloth out of titanium

Ticrofiber

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Titanium iPod Socks when

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ti macs would be sweet but they already expensive enough.

If apple is going for this whole carbon neutral angle they need to make their poo poo repairable too.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
They fused titanium to aluminum in the new phone so maybe they could make just the surface titanium on the laptop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then paint it

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hi thread! I picked up my first ever Mac today - 2021 MBP. M1 Max, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD. It was a Apple Certified Refurbished from MicroCenter @ $2149. I did a lot of searching and it seemed like the best price at the moment for the specs I was targeting. The very next step on my agenda is to get connected with support and complete my AppleCare purchase.

I'm really excited to learn the OS and shift over to utilizing this machine as my full-time development / engineering laptop. I have a company provided Windows machine that I am required to use for the majority of the work that pays the bills, but I work on a lot of additional projects that until now were done across two aging Dell enterprise laptops past clients abandoned to me.

I use technology for a living and this is a humbling experience. I don't know keyboard shortcuts to select all, copy, and paste for example.

Anyway, just saying hi!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Assign a few thousand neurons to learn copy and paste muscle memory switching from win/lin to mac

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
my keyboard shortcut protip: rebind your keyboard's caps-lock key to control, and learn the system-wide text navigation shortcuts

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Perplx posted:

They fused titanium to aluminum in the new phone so maybe they could make just the surface titanium on the laptop.

Alumitanium

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fedule posted:

Kiss? That's up to you

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fedule posted:

That's right, the Titanium 13" Macbook Pro with Touchbar is out next year

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I actually liked the Touch Bar. It was really gimmicky and shouldn't have replaced the function keys, but having analogue brightness and audio control was pretty neat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SRQ posted:

I actually liked the Touch Bar. It was really gimmicky and shouldn't have replaced the function keys, but having analogue brightness and audio control was pretty neat.

the touch bar as a concept i think is actually really great. but they should have a) kept some of the function keys around and b) made a bigger deal of getting apps to do cool poo poo with it

alas

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Ti macs would be sweet but they already expensive enough.

If apple is going for this whole carbon neutral angle they need to make their poo poo repairable too.

Those Titanium G4 PowerBooks were sweet.

I’m going natural Ti phone tomorrow as a throwback.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Those Titanium G4 PowerBooks were sweet.

I’m going natural Ti phone tomorrow as a throwback.

The M1/2 era Pros really do remind me of the TiBooks, quite heavily.
I wonder if it's on purpose or just a bit of convergent evolution.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Friend of mine does a bunch of video editing and he swears by the touch bar; says it makes a quantum difference in his editing flow. If he upgrades it'll be to the throwback 13" touchbar-style M3

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

When faced with the choice of extending the touch bar to the edge to give people that extra key width's room, or ignoring the collective muscle memory of humanity which has come to expect the esc key in the corner, guess which one Jony Ive picked in his moment of infinite hubris

What doesn't help is that Apple dropped the ball hard on getting developers to throw up a virtual escape key; it was annoying to see the esc key in the TB disappear depending on what app you had in focus.

Starting with the 16-inch Intel 2019 rMBP and 13-inch Intel 2020 rMBP, the physical escape key made its triumphant return next to a slightly shrunk down Touch Bar, but in many respects this was too little too late. Apple would at least never remove the esc key from any subsequent TB laptop.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 15, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Touch Bar utilization, but its vi in a terminal.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can I connect my 2013 trashcan to my 2017 iMac Pro with a TB2 to TB3 adapter and get 10G speeds between them for file transfers?

edit: the documentation says this should work at 20G speeds.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207266

20G file transfers would be neat with Apple Remote Desktop and drag and drop.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 16, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

My local Costco had the base M1 Max Studio for $1297.97 still; I was tempted to get one but held out, but if it goes down lower…

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

My local Costco had the base M1 Max Studio for $1297.97 still; I was tempted to get one but held out, but if it goes down lower…

OMG that’s super cheap for a Studio.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

OMG that’s super cheap for a Studio.

I know! Even with it being the 10c/24gpu version, I was so tempted…

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’d want more than base studio memory tho. I feel like that would be a big regret.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

YeH the base Mac Studio storage kinda sucks too, only 512gb.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Eh, I’m less worried about the storage because I have an external TB3 NVME enclosure I can use with it. The memory though, yeah, I wish it was at least 64GB.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SourKraut posted:

What I’m taking from this is, I need to avoid Costco because otherwise I’d probably talk myself into getting this (if they happened to have one)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

What I’m taking from this is, I need to avoid Costco because otherwise I’d probably talk myself into getting this (if they happened to have one)

Yeah, it’s just such a good deal for a new in box; it’s $260 less than a refurb from Apple. I don’t even need it but I have a few young kids, one of whom is close to needing a computer…

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just switched from a Chromecast to an Apple TV and the difference is night and day. Well worth the $130. Hulu is a laggy pile of garbage on the Chromecast.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FlapYoJacks posted:

Just switched from a Chromecast to an Apple TV and the difference is night and day. Well worth the $130. Hulu is a laggy pile of garbage on the Chromecast.

Easily one of my best moves, especially since the Apple TV can locally decode Plex.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

I've just gone from in-built smart tv apps to Apple TV and it's really great yeah. I'm glad the new remote is good and sensible and not like the older ones. My housemates are just sat there for way too long staring at those screensavers.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Started using Moonlight to stream my Windows desktop/games to my MacBook, now that the windows machine lives with the TV. But on the MacBook, there's a regular stutter every 2 seconds over wifi, which I've read is unavoidable due to the the way the wifi radio halts all traffic whenever it does a sweep for other nearby Apple devices - something you don't notice normally but interrupts this kind of streaming pretty severely.

So I'd like to give ethernet a go - something I can just plug in to one of the USBc ports when I'm at my desk.

Anyway what's people's experiences with those cheap little USBC to ethernet dongles? Is there anything I ought to know about?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

I did the reverse since most apps I use will not work or do it badly on airplay while they do perfectly on Chromecast. I do use a Chromecast ultra which might help with bad performance compared to the basic ones.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Speaking of AppleTV, I got to use one for the first time the other weekend and was shocked that AirPlay appears to just be screen mirroring and doesn’t pass the player a URI or whatever like a Chromecast does. Having to keep the app in focus on your phone and preventing it from locking lest the video stop is absolutely insane. Am I missing something because that seems kind of useless.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

I did the reverse since most apps I use will not work or do it badly on airplay while they do perfectly on Chromecast. I do use a Chromecast ultra which might help with bad performance compared to the basic ones.

Chromecast is better than Airplay, no doubt, but for somebody who wants the apps/media to directly run and play on a streaming box and not have it primarily be just for casting, it doesn't get much better than Apple TV.

I've also found that most iOS/ATV apps support both Chromcast and Airplay if I need to cast something in a pinch, but it's usually just random YouTube videos and less streaming apps/services, which is how we do our streaming.

Google's Apple TV equivalent is the Google TV streaming dongle.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 18, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

Speaking of AppleTV, I got to use one for the first time the other weekend and was shocked that AirPlay appears to just be screen mirroring and doesn’t pass the player a URI or whatever like a Chromecast does. Having to keep the app in focus on your phone and preventing it from locking lest the video stop is absolutely insane. Am I missing something because that seems kind of useless.

Did you just screen mirror from the control center, or did you actually click the airplay icon within an app's video player? What app were you trying to Airplay from? Has it not been updated for Airplay2 functionality, which rolled out 5 years ago?

You may have been screen mirroring and not Airplaying the video or something - Airplay does function differently than Chromecast, but it definitely has handoff-like functionality.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 18, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Corb3t posted:

Did you just screen mirror from the control center, or did you actually click the airplay icon within an app's video player? What app were you trying to Airplay from? Has it not been updated for Airplay2 functionality, which rolled out 5 years ago?

You may have been screen mirroring and not Airplaying the video or something - Airplay does function differently than Chromecast, but it definitely has handoff-like functionality.

The latter, ESPN, no idea. Though given that the full screen video is the only time the player shows Chromecast as an option and also is “full” full screen (doesn’t respect the notch) I suspect it’s entirely possible they haven’t.

E: Per their documentation it does but it may just be badly made?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Luke Miani has mentioned that it seems the only major new feature of the A17 Pro in the TimPhone 15, which is eventually what the M3 in desktop/laptops will be based on, is the hardware accelerated raytracing that wasn't ready in time for the previous chip.

He claims the CPU is literally just a cut-and-paste of the A16 cores, with the only improvement of ~10% coming from the new 3 nm architecture.

IMHO the fact that Apple was able to mitigate the extra power draw of the hardware raytracing is a pretty huge step forward in and of itself.

It'll definitely help with porting over DirectX 12 games since there's a Microsoft API for dedicated raytracing.

One only hopes that the desktop/laptop CPUs with the hardware ray tracing will have a little more oomph than the smartphone versions.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Waiting for M4 Extreme iMac 32”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hot take on why Macs don't really need ECC memory (in the Apple Silicon era). People use Macs(mostly) to make creative content. Creative content can be fixed 'in post' within reason. No one is going to die (or lose billions) if a bit gets flipped here or there. So long as memory errors are kept within a tolerable/imperceptible range.