Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://deadline.com/2023/10/robbie-williams-being-in-boy-band-take-that-causes-mental-illness-1235585951/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Saw an article on CNN where Taylor Swift is now officially a billionaire...which.. I think we all suspected. But the impressive thing is that it's done primarily through her music ventures only. Most other celebrities that have gotten to that point have had clothing/makeup/whatever lines that are the more profitable revenue streams.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Robbie Williams is one of the most singularly interesting people in pop music and I really want to watch that series. I remember Jason briefly was trying to break into acting but nothing came of it so if he's decided he's happy being alone with his family and whatever money he made from Take That I fully support him getting out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I read the whole of the Billboard's Top 500 Pop Songs and there were some great drops in there but also some glaring omissions and it was sorely lacking in European representation. So I did the only logical thing and made my own top 500 list. And then I put it in a Youtube playlist.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The 1989 Taylor's Version sounds quite... Bad. The previous re-recorded albums brought new richness and maturity, this time around she just sounds tired with worse production

Percussion especially hi-hats are way too loud in the mix too

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The 1989 Taylor's Version sounds quite... Bad. The previous re-recorded albums brought new richness and maturity, this time around she just sounds tired with worse production

Percussion especially hi-hats are way too loud in the mix too

Lol tell me you don’t know about studio mixing without telling me you don’t know about studio mixing.

Albums great.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Nah I want max Martin back

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1719016243741487106?s=20

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the music industry doesn’t deserve to exist if one person re-recording their music is enough to further punish and restrict artists signing or renewing contracts going forward with even more draconian rules.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This always happens when an artist finds a contract loophole, the industry rushes to make sure no-one else can ever do it again.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Licensing is really the way the industry makes money. That’s why T. Swift does it. That’s why Jeff Lynne recorded his stuff with ELO a few years back. That’s why K-tel and other record companies would commission re-records of classic songs. Money.

So you are a successful artist, you have a spat with your record company, you decide to do new versions of your old stuff. They don’t want to lose that money that they can get. So they’re going to fight against it anyway they can.

Except treating the artists fairly. That’s just a stupid idea.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why did no one tell me idina menzel does pop sometimes and they're... interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqwHmdrR-Gs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJhRT_zb3aA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJfTk_GgWcU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/oliviarodrigo/status/1719860266823999548?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Sounds pretty great from what I can hear in this, v cool that we’re getting bonus OR so soon after GUTS

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
there's a new hunger games??

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

there's a new hunger games??

There's a prequel book about how the fascist President became fascist. Of course it becomes a movie as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Olivia Rodrigo song is going to be the only memorable thing about that new Jennifer Lawrence-less Hunger Games movie.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress

Yes

https://x.com/DUALIPA/status/1719797114841043449?s=20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

gently caress

Yes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW55J2zE3N4

How are people feeling about this one? Personally, I think it's kind of boring. I'd like to think that The Beatles would be making more interesting music than this if they were all still alive and making music together today, but maybe not.

Also, this doesn't have an AI-generated John Lennon voice as I originally thought. It's a demo tape Lennon made decades ago and the band used Peter Jackson's machine learning technology used in the Get Back movie to isolate his vocal track from that demo tape.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think if someone attempted to use a Lennon AI voice, Yoko Ono would use every remaining bit of her lifeforce to kill that person with her brain

edit: and rightfully so

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Rageaholic posted:

How are people feeling about this one? Personally, I think it's kind of boring. I'd like to think that The Beatles would be making more interesting music than this if they were all still alive and making music together today, but maybe not.

Also, this doesn't have an AI-generated John Lennon voice as I originally thought. It's a demo tape Lennon made decades ago and the band used Peter Jackson's machine learning technology used in the Get Back movie to isolate his vocal track from that demo tape.

This sucks and there was a reason it was on the cutting room floor.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Rageaholic posted:

It’s alright. They’re trying to flesh out a demo, and there’s only so much they can do. It’s not like Real Love where you really had a complete song. It feels like more of a sketch that’s been expanded.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s basically fine, certainly better than I expected, but in the end yeah just an expanded sketch. Still, done in a fairly classy and respectful way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm glad it exists. The part they (and all of us) were most worried about, John's voice, sounds pretty much fine. As a song, it's probably sitting somewhere between Free As A Bird and Real Love to me. (With Real Love being the best.) Unsurprisingly, it feels like it's missing something. I'm also not sure Paul really filled in for the lack of a George solo the way he'd hoped.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Now that they got that out of the way, Paul needs quit being a coward and release Carnival of Light.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's also the elephant in the room of, how about fixing up Free As A Bird and Real Love a bit? I realize it may not have been wise to delay this song while working on those, but it also feels weird that this is part of a remixed "Red & Blue" boxed set which has also been expanded to include ostensibly every major song in their catalog... Yet it will only have one of the 3 reunion tracks. Understandable for timing reasons, but it will leave that set feeling like it has 2 glaring omissions.

(The fairly nondescript cover art for this single also seems to be subtly evoking the "red & blue" covers, so thematically there's definitely something cool going on there.)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
A lot of people don't like Free as a Bird, and I don't know if its mostly down to the production or if they don't actually like the song. I like the overall melody and verses more than I like Real Love, though Real Love definitely has an awesome chorus.

I would love to hear updated versions given the same treatment as this song.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't dislike FAAB, in fact I usually defend it against detractors. I do think Real Love is a bona fide classic in a way that wasn't. But I assume they led with FAAB because commercially, they knew people expected the first Beatles song in 25 years to have at least John & Paul doing lead vocals.

Certainly none of them have the perfect production quality that George Martin brought, but what can you do. The 2015 mix of Real Love (that was barely even mentioned as an extra on the 1+ blu-ray) was a bit better in that regard, though I didn't really love the alternate choices they made with George's guitar licks.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I'm inclined to agree with George - the song just isn't interesting enough. For a sad little song, a tinny piano was production enough.

They've released the new stereo Love Me Do, and that's worth a listen: https://youtu.be/LEHmEC9aWis?si=rNwCucm7W8chIedi I wouldn't mind stereo remixes of all the pre-Pepper albums if they sound this good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I haven't had a chance to go back and compare it with how Love Me Do sounded on 1, but this definitely sounded really good.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Now and Then music vid is up now.

https://youtu.be/Opxhh9Oh3rg?si=jKVxWJmqMenhwMM1

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e:.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The world is divided on Billie Eilish, and it has nothing to do with her. Some folks are sure that her brother is responsible for every little thing but the vocals. Others are sure he's not and in fact the songs he has minimal involvement with are the best ones. Either way, his level of contribution is seen as the deciding factor of quality.

Me, I'm a little different. I don't really care. I don't trust a man who seems to be close with his whole family but insists on going by a mononym. And dude has crossed out his surname on nametags and chair reservations. Weird. But I say let him return to being/continue being the driving force behind his sister because on the off chance he composes another Ocean Eyes it'll be worth it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maisie Peters at Wembley tonight what the gently caress is uuuuuuup

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/QXjA-ahmi1A?si=n23RyIAXj1PyLH3B

Good poo poo, this feels like a song written by someone who really likes Hunger Games.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I haven't had a chance to go back and compare it with how Love Me Do sounded on 1, but this definitely sounded really good.

It would be in mono since they don’t have the session tapes for LMD. They don’t even have a tape for the single version and have to source it from a 45 rpm record.

I didn’t think the stereo mix sounded all that good. The imaging is pretty wonky with the bass on the left and the drums and guitars on the right. I recognize there’s not much you can do in stereo with this song. It does show off how good the extraction technology can be, unlike some of The Beach Boys usage of that technology. The less said about the horrid Sounds of Summer reissue, the better.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Skeezy posted:

Now that they got that out of the way, Paul needs quit being a coward and release Carnival of Light.

The correct take

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Carnival of Light will sound like Revolution 9 but somehow worse. It was supposed to be a one-time event, please leave it that way.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I never figured it would be good, but it would be cool to have it out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I didn’t know people had this many opinions about Beatles songs released after they broke up

It’s like the boomer version of when dead rappers keep putting out tracks (Tupac and Biggie for gen X, JuiceWRLD and Pop Smoke for Millenials and XXXTENTACION for people with no taste)