Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Shageletic posted:

It's a great movie but gently caress ever seeing it again. The most nihilistic action movie ever.

:disagreed:, TNCFU is all about how it's never too late to throw down for what's right, even if it kills you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've rewatched it a few times, but the mood definitely needs to be right. It's a similar mood to certain horror movies where nobody gets out unscathed and the movie never tries to fool you into thinking a happy ending is even possible. There are days where I'm totally down for that and days where I'm just not in the right headspace for it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It helps if you imagine Ito as a slightly more purposeful and focused Ash.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Basebf555 posted:

I've rewatched it a few times, but the mood definitely needs to be right. It's a similar mood to certain horror movies where nobody gets out unscathed and the movie never tries to fool you into thinking a happy ending is even possible. There are days where I'm totally down for that and days where I'm just not in the right headspace for it.

I prefer headshot over tncfu both movies rule but you really need to be in the mood for tncfu. It's up there with The Proposition for movies I love but are wayyy to bleak for me unless I am in the mood

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The night comes for us is a blast. I’ve never seen billiard balls used so horrifically!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just finished Wolf Warrior 2 and man what a loving banger. Just fun and brutal. Frank Grillo is delightful as always. Both Wolf Warriors are pretty great outside of some iffy CGI (glad the sequel didn't involve anyone fighting wild animals).

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just finished Wolf Warrior 2 and man what a loving banger. Just fun and brutal. Frank Grillo is delightful as always. Both Wolf Warriors are pretty great outside of some iffy CGI (glad the sequel didn't involve anyone fighting wild animals).

I've been on the "Wu Jing is the next Tom Cruise" train ever since seeing WW2. He's incredible and I want him to be a worldwide phenomenon. Go watch him in SPL2 if you haven't seen it, then watch his crazy henchman role in SPL 1, THEN watch the youtube remake of spl1 during covid lockdown.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The night comes for us is a blast. I’ve never seen billiard balls used so horrifically!

Lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Raid is one I’ve always wanted to see and never have, unbelievably.

Just noticed it’s on Netflix

:sickos:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrMojok posted:

The Raid is one I’ve always wanted to see and never have, unbelievably.

Just noticed it’s on Netflix

:sickos:

it's a great use of an hour and a half or so. The sequel is also cool, albeit quite different. Also I know one of the guys who worked on it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just finished Wolf Warrior 2 and man what a loving banger. Just fun and brutal.

That movie is a perfect distillation of 80s Hollywood action tropes. I'll take it over commando 9 times out of 10.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dokmo posted:

That movie is a perfect distillation of 80s Hollywood action tropes. I'll take it over commando 9 times out of 10.

Okay it's good but this is an insane thing to say.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dokmo posted:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Lukewarm take: Commando probably isn't even in the top 10 Arnold vehicles

its fine :effort:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Look, I think Kindergarten Cop is slightly underrated too, but nnnnnope.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

dokmo posted:

Not only the most insane loving thing I’ve seen on SA, but possibly the most insane loving thing I’ve ever seen posted on the internet

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Xand_Man posted:

insane take and doubly insane to post in this particular thread

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Imagine being this homophobic

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

quote:

Matrix: “Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?”

Sully: “That's right, Matrix. You did!”

Matrix: “I lied.”

quote:

Cindy: “What’d you do with Sully?”

Matrix: “I let him go.”

Commando is an alltime great Arnold movie with a laundry list of quotes.

Edit: Vernon Wells is such a spectacular hammy 80’s bad guy. Dude looked like Ray Bloody Purchase wearing a chainmail vest the whole time.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 7, 2023

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Gonz posted:

Commando is an alltime great Arnold movie with a laundry list of quotes.

Yeah but they don't beat "Want to be a farmer? Here's a couple of acres." *Kicks bad guy in balls so hard he goes flying* from Last Action Hero.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I watched a little bit of The Expendables 2 the other day while making dinner, and there’s a scene where Jason Statham stabs a guy in the throat, and then goes “By the powers vested in me, I now pronounce you man and KNIFE!”, and it is scriptwriting malpractice that wasn’t an Arnold line 30 years earlier.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I'll bite

Terminator 2, Terminator, Total Recall, Predator, Conan the Barbarian
those occupy the top 5 spots. You could shuffle the order, maybe argue Conan (though you'd be wrong), but fundamentally uncontroversial Top 5 Ahnold

Now it gets tricky, more apples to oranges
Is Commando better then True Lies? Running Man? Conan the Destroyer? Kindergarten cop? Maggie?

If we restrict it to action movies, sure. But over his whole career no loving way is Commando top ten

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 7, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

poonchasta posted:

Yeah but they don't beat "Want to be a farmer? Here's a couple of acres." *Kicks bad guy in balls so hard he goes flying* from Last Action Hero.

Last Action Hero is a timeless film.

quote:

*walks into apartment; casually fires several rounds into the closet door; a dead body falls out seconds later*

Danny: “How'd you know there was a guy in there?”

Slater: “There's always a guy in there. It costs me a fortune in closet doors!”

It also has two of the best throwaway cameo gags ever with Robert Patrick and Sharon Stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWYisoNiKK8

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 7, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Gonz posted:

Jason Statham stabs a guy in the throat, and then goes “By the powers vested in me, I now pronounce you man and KNIFE!”

Expendables movies are overlong and insanely self-indulgent but goddamn do they occasionally inject pure uncut 80s action movie straight into your veins

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Now it gets tricky
Is Commando better then True Lies?
Running Man?
Conan the Destroyer?
Kindergarten cop?
Maggie?

Not at all
Yes
Yarp
lol absolutely
yes
get out

I'd go so far as to swap Commando for Total Recall in your top 5.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Not only the most insane loving thing I’ve seen on SA, but possibly the most insane loving thing I’ve ever seen posted on the internet
Honestly not that insane. Wolf Warrior 2 is awesome and as mentioned before Commando isn't the best Arnold vehicle
And all of the above fail in comparison to any Hong Kong movie with Rothrock

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This thread has gone completely off the loving rails, now.

If we aren’t even counting Commando in the top ten Schwarzenegger action films, this thread and all its posts are invalid.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In my pantheon of Arnold vehicles, Commando is probably near the bottom of the top 10, but it's there- it has some benefits like getting into its action fairly quickly. It's a very economical film with its run time but yeah it just as a whole isn't quite as good as the other stuff. Don't get me wrong, there's some great lines in Commando.

But then, I like "Here's Sub-Zero, now.. Plain Zero" with the low five with Yaphet Kotto.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

MrMojok posted:

If we aren’t even counting Commando in the top ten Schwarzenegger action films, this thread and all its posts are invalid.

It's fine; reduces contention on renting Commando from the video store.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

MrMojok posted:

Dokmo didn't say action, which means you can put Pumping Iron and maybe Kindergarten Cop/Twins above it. The latter two are arguable but Pumping Iron is a legitimately good movie.

Arnold just has a really great list to choose from. I personally like Running Man and Last Action Hero more than Commando as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would say the these Arnold movies are clearly better than Commando:

Terminator
Terminator 2
Predator
True Lies
Total Recall

So that's only 5, Commando's spot is gonna depend on how you feel about stuff like Running Man, Last Action Hero, Eraser, Kindergarten Cop, Twins, Conan, and Raw Deal. It's hard for me to see it falling out of a top-10 but for me it would probably come in at #8 or #9 so I can't really say it's an unreasonable opinion.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MrMojok posted:

Dude, I think it's a pretty wild opinion but the idea that you have the authority to pass judgement on this thread is equally wild. Stop being a dork.

Also they did say "Arnie Vehicle" and not action movie. That means literally all his movies, not just the action ones, are in the running.

I definitely put Commando above Last Action Hero because Last Action Hero literally does not exist without Commando. "Jack Slater" is like 75% John Matrix. That's where the utter absurdity is coming from.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 7, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Predator's final act is perfect but I always forget how much it meanders to get there. Don't mind a slow burn but it never works for me, I much prefer how straightforward Commando is

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

morestuff posted:

Predator's final act is perfect but I always forget how much it meanders to get there. Don't mind a slow burn but it never works for me, I much prefer how straightforward Commando is
The whole setup for the typical action film is great imo and what helps make the predator reveal that much better :colbert:

I'd also put Commando above True Lies :colbert: :colbert:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
All this talk about Arnold movies and nobody even mentions Red Heat.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MrBling posted:

COCAINUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8TSHN-JDA

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MrBling posted:

That's because, at least in my case, Red Heat ain't worth talking about.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

morestuff posted:

There's something to that. Commando doesn't really waste time.

Red Heat, man. It's got maybe three good scenes, but there's a lot of john belushi trying to get it done and he is absolutely not getting it done.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Raw Deal had Arnold walking around in suits and ties a whole lot before the killing starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean it's definitely true that Predator takes it's time getting to the actual Predator but I think that's something a lot of people love about it. You get half of a movie where it's just the most macho possible guys marching around the jungle glaring at each other and delivering one liners and just generally being action movie alpha males, and then you get the sci-fi monster movie twist for the second half.