Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/FalloutFanArt/status/1724502626451042567?t=SQKNXaYCzvG7PUpCk_nA7Q&s=19

My Chryslus Highwayman intensifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Not impressed. The trunk should be missing

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Cat Hassler posted:

Not impressed. The trunk should be missing

drat this was an annoying bug.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
How did Marcus even fit into the car?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OldMemes posted:

How did Marcus even fit into the car?

Same way Goris did.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

More charisma = more leg room

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
playing more TTW and made it to Honest Hearts for the first time in nearly a decade, maybe

-I made a point not to bring any overpowered Fallout 3 weapons to try and maintain some semblance of balance, but that doesn't matter because I did bring the MF Hyperbreeder Alpha and lol gun go zap

-Leading the bighorner calf with banana yucca was not nearly as annoying as I remember it being

-The survivalist still fucks, though I completely forgot that his later log entries are about him fighting random evil Vault 22 survivors. Seems like a halfhearted excuse to throw some plant enemies into Zion lol

-Is this the only bit in the whole series to really address religion/faith in an honest (hearts) way? I know there's a couple preachers in 2, 3 and 4 but no one ever asks or cares what you believe, which is funny because if the bombs really did drop this century I am 100% sure that militant fundamentalist christian groups would comprise like half the surviving population

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIGhMyZuIS8

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Wolfsheim posted:

-Is this the only bit in the whole series to really address religion/faith in an honest (hearts) way? I know there's a couple preachers in 2, 3 and 4 but no one ever asks or cares what you believe, which is funny because if the bombs really did drop this century I am 100% sure that militant fundamentalist christian groups would comprise like half the surviving population

They mostly avoid real-world religion, and I think Bethesda is really unlikely to want to delve into it. The Kings believing Elvis was a prophet works fine since that's not a real thing, same with Children of Atom worshipping radiation. It's just way too easy to screw up and piss people off with religions that people practice or have been persecuted by, and I think they are shooting for something more mass-market than that kind of controversy would allow. HH does a good job with presenting the two religious characters as interesting people who are also believers, but then runs straight into having the plot be which White Savior you'll side with to decide the fate of the Innocent Natives who aren't capable of deciding on their own.

I definitely agree there would be a lot of wild militant fundies running around if the apocalypse happened today, and I don't really buy that religion would just fade out in the 'cold war attitudes last into the late 21st century' alt history of Fallout.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

3 has a Bible verse be the entire thematic thrust of the plot.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

3 has a Bible verse be the entire thematic thrust of the plot.

And Point Lookout has a sincere, played-straight Christian missionary.

And then she helps you purify an ancient evil, as you do.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

That went from 'silly' to 'very silly' to 'extremely silly' in a very enjoyable way

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/TKsMantis/status/1726955044271239215?t=b_6tECdUeDBFMkzVbaxVSg&s=19

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
This is good. Most people are far more dehydrated than they think they are. Keep being healthy courier!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's also dirty water if you can't afford the clean stuff. A little radiation never hurt anyone!

Also:
https://twitter.com/AMAZlNGNATURE/status/1726529605748601312?t=vS5__nt39WB7EkA66jWTRQ&s=19

It's so weird seeing this and going "wait I know that spot" despite having never been to Zion in my life.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Still way too much nature to be healthy in my opinion :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Still way too much nature to be healthy in my opinion :colbert:

Agreed. Could be a Cazador anywhere.

(I do want to risk it and go hiking there one day. It does seem amazing.)

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It is a truly beautiful place, I'd say it's worth checking out at least once whether you like hiking or dislike it, it remains stunning.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1729501958405247469?t=0T8cHT6T3JCW8xqH2xPJRA&s=19

Walton Goggins as a Ghoul requires minimal makeup.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

like everyone else I love agent Cooper, but has Amazon ever made a show that wasn't dogshit?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Not expecting much from the show but Walton Goggins means I'll give the first episode a try at least

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

like everyone else I love agent Cooper, but has Amazon ever made a show that wasn't dogshit?

the expanse, but given the rest of their output that seems like an accident on their part

look at it this way, it would be almost impossible for this show to have a worse plot than fallout 4

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those power armors look worse than the renders from fallout 1, lol

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Wolfsheim posted:

the expanse, but given the rest of their output that seems like an accident on their part

look at it this way, it would be almost impossible for this show to have a worse plot than fallout 4

People said that about Fallout 3.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I will watch because Coop and Walton Goggins are in it but I have no expectations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

hawowanlawow posted:

Patriot!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Those power armors look worse than the renders from fallout 1, lol

They just look like the F4 power armor? The best one?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Amazon had some good films

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda liked Ms Maisel, though it was a little hosed up how they basically just ripped off Joan Rivers life without giving her family any money.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wolfsheim posted:

T60 armour is just T45 armour with extra handles welded to it. Hardly T51b superiority.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean in terms of visual quality, that screen grab looks really low effort to me, like a bunch of toys - but I dunno, maybe it's better in motion

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

steinrokkan posted:

I mean in terms of visual quality, that screen grab looks really low effort to me, like a bunch of toys - but I dunno, maybe it's better in motion

That was exactly my first thought; those look like miniature toy soldiers.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The Zelda Fitzgerald show was good but they cancelled it after 1 season.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Everything looks way too pretty in all those screens. Maybe it looks better in high resolution stills or video but everything is shiny and way too clean in all those pictures. The knights armor needs so much more wear, rust, and battle damage. It looks like someone just smeared a little bit of oil and then sprayed it with glosscote.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 29, 2023

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Trying to cut out the important, story-wise, bits from that article:

quote:

After the incendiary mushroom clouds, the story flashes forward 219 years. How did humanity fair over those blighted two centuries? Lucy, one of the lead characters (played by Yellowjackets star Ella Purnell), has no clue. She has lived her entire life inside a subterranean vault, where every need and want has been satisfied while generations and generations await the day when it is safe to surface.

When a crisis forces Lucy to venture above on a rescue mission, she finds that the planet above remains a hellscape crawling with giant insects, voracious mutant animal “abominations,” and a human population of sunbaked miscreants who make the manners, morals, and hygiene of the gunslinging Old West look like Downton Abbey.

Nine years after the events of Fallout 4, fourteen years after the events of New Vegas, nineteen years after the events of Fallout 3, fifty-four years after the events of Fallout 2, one hundred and thirty four years after the events of Fallout 1, btw.

Lucy is from Vault 33, her dad is the Overseer - played by Kyle MacLachlan of Twin Peaks fame. We've seen images of a Vault with a New California Republic flag in the background in previous leaks, so I'm not sure if this is another "we'll stay shut forever" Vault like 13 and 101, or they just restrict access to the surface. Or that shot is from a different Vault.

quote:

As the Fallout show progresses, Lucy’s journey intersects with the two other lead characters [...] One of them is the wannabe soldier Maximus (Aaron Moten, the tragic Petey from The Night Of), who grew up aboveground but, like Lucy, was also raised in a cloistered “family” of sorts—a brutal collective of warriors called the Brotherhood of Steel. [...] Max serves the giant, seemingly robotic figure of his master with the same naive faith that Lucy has in her Vault Dwellers. But unlike her, he has a cynical sense of self-preservation that leads him to not always behave honorably or heroically.

quote:

Most of the disparate parties are “chasing an artifact that has the potential to radically change the power dynamic in this world,” as Nolan puts it.

The show seems to be set in the Greater Los Angeles area, and the images of the Brotherhood of Steel show them to be wielding the same numbers and firepower (plus another airship) as the East Coast Brotherhood are shown in the games. A lot has changed for the West Coast Brotherhood in the past 14 years...

quote:

Then there is Fallout’s wild card, its third lead figure—the sinister bounty hunter known as The Ghoul (played by Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight’s Walton Goggins). The Ghoul is a gruesomely scarred roughrider who has a code of honor, but also a ruthless streak. [...] The show occasionally flashes back to the human being he once was, a father and husband named Cooper Howard, before the nuclear holocaust turned the world into a cinder and transformed him into an undead, noseless sharp-shooting fiend. [...] There’s still something of Cooper Howard, the person he used to be within this desiccated form. He compares The Ghoul to the poet Virgil in Dante’s Inferno, someone in this hellish landscape who knows its full scope, origin, and secrets. “He becomes our guide and our protagonist in that [older] world, even as we understand him to be the antagonist at the end of the world,” Nolan says.

Edit: got my East/West wrong.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 29, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Greater LA is a wide area but I'd expect the Boneyard to still be a settlement given how established the NCR is across California. Unless the Brotherhood has been clawing back territory in with their war against the Republic in the decade and a half since Vegas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There was previous talk about this being the first time Los Angeles would appear in Fallout, which hopefully was just an uninformed article writer.

Mostly I'm just disappointed the Brotherhood is in it. I used to love them but after Bethesda I do not want to see them anymore. That well is dry. Do something new, please.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 29, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Mostly I'm just disappointed the Brotherhood is in it. I used to love them but after Bethesda I do not want to see them anymore. That well is dry. Do something new, please.

did you think the show wouldn't have the literal poster boys for the franchise lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't say I was surprised they're in it, I said I'm disappointed they're doing that yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

It looks good imo, and it's the Westworld people who sure can do robots and cowboys quite well.

But I get far more Fallout 3 vibes than anything else from this, and I do not like Fallout 3. Why are the Brotherhood in such large numbers and how the gently caress are they building an airship? I'll watch it and hope to be pleasantly surprised.