Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Srice posted:

Been replaying Crystal Project. Still a hell of a game but something I'm less keen on in a replay is how many boss fights demand specific toolsets. Mostly a disappointment for a replay because it'd be way harder to do a four job fiesta thing (as anyone who has done the fiesta knows, part of the charm with FF5 is that while obviously there are disparities with how effective a given job can be, at the end of the day with enough planning any combination can make it through). An easy example of a roadblock: the boss fight to get the owl mount is a hell of a difficulty spike unless you can inflict blindness, then it's a cakewalk.

Still having a blast trying out different classes on this playthrough though, and this time around I'm gonna try to beat all the optional bosses too. Wish this gamer luck.

You know what they say about roadblocks. You speedrun tech your way past it, job fiesta SAVED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Srice posted:

Hell yeah. I'm gonna double dip on that just because it's more convenient to carry my Switch around then the ol 'Deck.
Hm why is that out of curiosity, is it just weight/size? Been thinking of grabbing an OLED Steamdeck after holidays but..

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Hm why is that out of curiosity, is it just weight/size? Been thinking of grabbing an OLED Steamdeck after holidays but..

Not the OP but that's the case for me, my Deck case is probably at least half again as deep as my Switch case, which doesn't seem like much but can matter when it's going in a shoulder bag or whatever.

FWIW I still use my Deck a lot on the go, and use it a ton at home, it's probably the best purchase I've made in years in one respect, because I'm 100% more likely to play a whole mess of games that have kind of languished in my Steam library for years because when I'm sitting at my computer I tend to play meatier games, but never really play a lot of lighter platformers or whatever, but those are great for the Deck when I'm just hanging out in the living room or whatever (sunk cost fallacy, woo!)

Basically if you are already pretty deep in the Steam ecosystem, the Deck is really fantastic IMO. Also the best portable emulation box I've ever used, though it's overkill for just that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Oh the Deck is very nice and I love it to death, highly recommend it. But I prefer the Switch ergonomics since it's lighter and smaller, makes it feel more portable that way. I find the Deck to be plenty comfortable, it's just a big boy. And hey, I can't emulate PS2 jrpgs on the Switch so that's a point in the Deck's favor.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dackel posted:

You know what they say about roadblocks. You speedrun tech your way past it, job fiesta SAVED

True! I'm sure there's something I could figure out in those situations if I knew the item details of Crystal Project as well as I did FF5's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is incredibly funny going from the Deck to the Switch. It makes you feel like you took Dragonball Z style weighted training clothes off because it's so frigging light and thin in comparison.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Thanks for the Steamdeck feedback. I'm definitely in that "my steam library has gotten away from me..." camp :ohdear:

ImpAtom posted:

It is incredibly funny going from the Deck to the Switch. It makes you feel like you took Dragonball Z style weighted training clothes off because it's so frigging light and thin in comparison.
Reminds me of whenever I break a modern smartphone and have to pick up an old model from like 2018 temporarily. Things were so tiny back then

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

From the games I've played on that list, I'd say monster sanctuary (one of my favorite games of the last couple years) and digimon story cyber sleuth (though this one expects quite some grind)

I saw soul hackers 2 is like 18 bucks so I might pull the trigger on that soon.

Seconding that Monster Sanctuary is really good and I feel dumb for avoiding it so long because the name sounded like a farming game or something (I'm an idiot)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Rolled credits on the Live a Live remaster. What a delightful game. Pacing in the last act wasn't great but everything else was magic.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Because stats based dating sims came up a little while ago in the thread I'm cross-quoting this good as hell channel from the online creators thread. Great for context on this micro-genre.

mycophobia posted:

a cool very underviewed channel is bapsago, a south korean lady who reviews dating sims

https://www.youtube.com/@bapsago/videos

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GloomMouse posted:

Seconding that Monster Sanctuary is really good and I feel dumb for avoiding it so long because the name sounded like a farming game or something (I'm an idiot)

Monster Sanctuary is really nice and I recently started up a new game because people were talking about it, maybe in this thread, and I'm having a blast. So thanks for talking about it, thread.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

HopperUK posted:

Monster Sanctuary is really nice and I recently started up a new game because people were talking about it, maybe in this thread, and I'm having a blast. So thanks for talking about it, thread.

GotY thread. Speaking of, I'm having fun with Coromon so far, the little monster voice clips are too adorable.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Finished Endwalker and will put FFXIV down for another couple of years. Where Stormblood had trouble threading the needle together two largely separate adventures, Endwalker succeeds as tying together vastly different zones across time and space. They put in a lot of groundwork into developing an annoying clown of a villain into someone far more interesting. Amazing that they started off as a palette-swap boss from a 33 year-old game.

Had the expansion simply focused on Garlemald, it would have been banal coming after Shadowbringers. FFXIV is the opposite of Tactics and similar RPGs, because here the cosmic poo poo involving gods and time-travel is far more interesting than the base political stuff.

The final duel probably looks ridiculous if you play a lalafell.

The worst part was Labyrinthos with that loving incessant dramatic music in the background that plays for hours. Did not expect to see a kid get squashed.

If I want to plat Tactics Ogre, do I have to repeat multiple chapters or do I get convenient time-map like in most visual novels?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm disappointed we didn't get a Garlemald expansion not for the political stuff but because I wanted my pals at the Ironworks to be main characters again. :(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I want to plat Tactics Ogre, do I have to repeat multiple chapters or do I get convenient time-map like in most visual novels?

Assuming you mean Reborn, the Coda system that unlocks once you beat the game is basically a chapter select.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/gbf_relink_jp/status/1738122639766647119

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
still interested in re:link but it's looking like a monster hunter-esque loot-em-up and that whole genre's always left me cold

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Monster Hunter is incredibly badass so that sounds very cool actually

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Monster Hunter is incredibly badass so that sounds very cool actually

Yeah that post took me from uninterested to immediately loving down for it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the boss design also seems kinda ff14

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my post wasn't a judgment call on monhun itself of course but that does seem to be the basic structure, small hub zone with mostly mission-based combat and a lot of boss rerunning, with party-based multiplayer. this looks like the most comprehensive overview of it so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ts2NeZ0ZNk

i wasn't aware the character roster was that expansive either. guess it's intended to be a more accessible entry point to the franchise?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
got nexomon in the jrpg bundle and gave it a shot.

I do not like games where a side character exists just to snark at the game's premise/the fact that it is a game.

I also do not like incredibly grindy games and whoo boy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

my post wasn't a judgment call on monhun itself of course but that does seem to be the basic structure, small hub zone with mostly mission-based combat and a lot of boss rerunning, with party-based multiplayer. this looks like the most comprehensive overview of it so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ts2NeZ0ZNk

i wasn't aware the character roster was that expansive either. guess it's intended to be a more accessible entry point to the franchise?

Yeah that works for me, especially since I'm dogshit at fighting games

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Re:Link is going to whip so much rear end.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Woah, thanks for posting that. I’d somehow either not seen any if this or ignored it for whatever reason. Onto the wishlist it goes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
wasn't there supposed to be some announcements today for relink (and rising)? did that already happen?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Soon I'm pretty sure. GBFfes is going on atm.

e: Seems like it's an hour from this edit.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 23, 2023

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What are some exclusive JRPGs for the Xbox 360 and the Wii (Besides like, Lost Odyssey and Last Story which I have already) that are worth picking and also AREN'T overpriced to hell on Ebay and such?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I offer no judgement on whether some of these offer enough role-playing mechanics nor if they are even worth playing. But here are some Wii exclusive titles.

Arc Rise Fantasia
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Opoona
Pandora's Tower
Shiren the Wanderer*
Spectrobes: Origns
Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga

*this version was also on PSP apparently

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thinking about which 360 exclusive JRPGs are worth playing and coming up short

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wouldn't say Infinite Undiscovery is worth playing but I am fond of it. Other than Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey the only remaining exclusive I can think of is.. Magna Carta 2?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just now learning there was a third Spectrobes game. I thought they made two for the DS and that was it for that series.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sakurazuka posted:

Thinking about which 360 exclusive JRPGs are worth playing and coming up short

I think it's hard enough to come up with 360 exclusive RPGs to begin with. I remember Eternal Sonata and Enchancted Arms, but apparently they both appeared on the PS3 after a year of exclusivity.

But I guess there is Operation Darkness. Also an exclusive Kingdom Under Fire title that apparently does away with the strategy and is probably just hack and slash. And is Too Human still free on Xbox because of legal reasons? Not a JRPG, barely a RPG, not a quality product but certainly exclusive.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 23, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinite Undiscovery....

I was thinking Enchanted Arms too because I forgot that got a PS3 port lol

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Was Spectral Force 3 any good? That's 360 exclusive I think.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spectral force is like. maximum idea factory. it's the srpg series you pick up because you have absolutely no other srpgs to play somehow

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Absolutely have not heard about it before today nor played or watched anything granblue related, but this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait to no longer only have 0 idea who any Granblue Fantasy characters are when I get to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Enchanted Arms is not worth going out of your way for.