Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Going back to CS3 and it still drives me up a wall how many scenes exist where everyones voiced except for Rean. Really was spoiled by the extra effort xseed put in for 1 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i think i'm finally getting near the end of chapter 3 of trails of sky 1. it still impressed me how fleshed out the world is, and how much time the game is willing to take to talk about it. i'd guess a lot of that is just making the most of a limited budget but i'm sure a lesser game wouldn't make it as interesting

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who got the worst glow-up in a sequel or remake?

I remember Matthewmatosis faulting a remake of some game called Radiant Historia. He really hated the shift in art-direction towards "generic moe." Namely, that the short-haired princess lost her entire visual identity.

https://twitter.com/ardenost/status/846281661880963072?s=20

The key art for the Star Ocean 2 Remake is brilliant. The original art is fine for the era, but there's an obvious Photoshop gradient-effect. The PSP art is painfully bland, working better in motion as an Anime, and Rena looks 8 years old for some reason.

I got interested about this one day and looked it up. The PS1 character art was done by mangaka Minato Koto.

From one of the mangas he did, IO:

It looks like he also did an art book/doujinshi for SO2: https://q-to-japan.com/products/minato-koio-star-ocean-2-designers-character-art-doujinshi-the-another-story?variant=43371715231993

Also found some illustration CDs on Suruga-Ya that look like they might have SO2 art, though based off the disc art, it looks like the illustrations might be :nws:

The Colonel posted:

the statement about the psp designs being better in animation is annoying to me. the problem isn't the simplicity of detail compared to the other versions, it's that they're all stock still and near-emotionless, all the portraits have the exact same expression and frankly even in the animation they are used in they don't look... that interesting? they look like designs for a kind of cheap 2000s deen anime that gets sorta expressive sometimes but still always looks just slightly off. tales portraits are similarly low detail but they have a wide variety of poses and expressions, the star ocean psp art does not

the psp star ocean art also just has like, really weird shading. shading is very important even for simpler art and the shading in that art, is really flat and ugly looking. the ps1 art has the opposite problem where it's kind of muddy and gross but that at least adds more of a personality to it even if i don't think it looks very good either lol

Studio Deen is listed in the credits under 'Digital Painters' for Second Evolution.

Compared to the PS1 and Remake art, the PSP art is very bright.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 25, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Going back to CS3 and it still drives me up a wall how many scenes exist where everyones voiced except for Rean. Really was spoiled by the extra effort xseed put in for 1 and 2.

cs4 fixes this a bit, theres still a couple scenes like this but they did do most of them... and i dont remember hajimari doing this in jp or eng since reans not really the main character anymroe in that. kuro doesnt do it at all with its protag (minus dialog options) so you really only have to put up with it for cs3 at least

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Do I need to care about past Xenoblade things or can I just grab 3?

I actually owned the 3DS version of 1 but didn't get very far and also the sidequest structure seemed awful.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

3 benefits from having played 1 and 2 but it's not the biggest deal outside the dlc.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There are only two returning characters who act as the queens of the world. There are a few cameos in the ending cinematic.

The expansion however requires knowledge from all 3 games.

XCX has no bearing on anything because it's been nine years and the story will never get a proper final act.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There are only two returning characters who act as the queens of the world. There are a few cameos in the ending cinematic.

The expansion however requires knowledge from all 3 games.

XCX has no bearing on anything because it's been nine years and the story will never get a proper final act.

No, surely Monolith is working on XCX2 now that the original series is done! Surely! Right after the definitely going to happen Switch port of the original!

It's so sad, liking the dead end Wii U game the most...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

No, surely Monolith is working on XCX2 now that the original series is done! Surely! Right after the definitely going to happen Switch port of the original!

It's so sad, liking the dead end Wii U game the most...

Never stop coping they're clearly waiting for Sawano to clear his schedule so he can drop us another masterpiece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjtCxym3cE

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

ImpAtom posted:

The dark secret of Blitz is that Sabin's are not actually fighting game inputs either. For any diagonal input you actually just need to press either direction on the d-pad. So fireball is down-down-right instead of down-downright-right.

Oh yeah, I've heard about that before. Down-down-right et al is similar to moves in Mortal Kombat. So still a fighting game!

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Do I need to care about past Xenoblade things or can I just grab 3?

I actually owned the 3DS version of 1 but didn't get very far and also the sidequest structure seemed awful.

You'll get so much more out of the last parts of 3 and the dlc if you've played 1 and 2

You should also just play them because they're both good.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I want to replay XCX at some point but without Miiverse it wouldn't be the same...

No one telling me to press L+A

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If Splatoon can have it's own pseudo-miiverse then so can Xenoblade.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

technically a puzzle game but i'm posting it here anyway cause it's made in rpgmaker, its core gimmick is based in using srpg movement mechanics and it's on sale for very cheap, like just four bucks

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2095460/TASUKEMONO/

only played a couple levels of this game real quick but it's a pretty cute game about a bunch of animal girls helping guide a blind girl through a long perilous path through a forest. you control it like an srpg but rather than fighting enemies the main focus is just keeping the blind girl safe on the way to the end of each map. the pixel art and music are really impressive, can't speak for the english translation but from the screenshots it seems decent. if you have even half-decent japanese it is very easy to read in its original language also, dialog's relatively breezy and simple.

this does look cute, thanks for sharing

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

store page for the Astlibra roguelike mode DLC went up, supposed to be out soon https://store.steampowered.com/app/2669360/ASTLIBRA_Gaiden_The_Cave_of_Phantom_Mist/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the colonel astlibra arc will begin... next year...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that even if you don't pick to play as a girl fate/extra ccc's still got explicit lesbian stuff in it cause two of the npcs have an extremely small but well written ongoing arc across the game about trying to convey their feelings to each other via their programmed-in behavioral routines and they're like two of the only generic npc characters who get actual names

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i like that even if you don't pick to play as a girl fate/extra ccc's still got explicit lesbian stuff in it cause two of the npcs have an extremely small but well written ongoing arc across the game about trying to convey their feelings to each other via their programmed-in behavioral routines and they're like two of the only generic npc characters who get actual names

Like they are both self aware but limited to their programming? That sounds like some prine horror material

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one of them is programmed to be gloomy and nihilistic, and the other is programmed to cheer people on like the captain of a sports club. the opening of ccc is the whole structure of the simulation being thrown out of wack, the npcs included since they can't really carry out the roles they've been given for a normal grail war and a weird super ai girl is threatening to kill them all. so as the story goes on the sports club girl keeps cheering on the gloomy girl to not just give up and let herself get deleted, and you talk to her and she's like "haha! why am i acting like this? well, cheering people on is my routine!" but if you talk to the gloomy girl a couple times she's like "ugh... she's so annoying... but why is she holding my hand so tightly...?"

the next chapter they've both been attacked by programs that tried to eat them, the club captain has gone silent and the gloomy girl is staying with her going like "please... please remember me... yumi!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the whole theme of ccc is stepping outside the role youve been assigned. a bunch of the very stock, kinda boring side characters from the original game turn into goofy morons because the plot got so derailed they cant act 'in character' anymore and so theyre reduced to being weirdos hanging out in a single room. so those NPCs kinda fit into that where they found meaning outside what they were 'programmed' to be

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Started the recent Touhou SMT (Artificial Dream in Arcadia) in earnest a little while ago. Fusion is so odd in that game. The recipes seem to be fairly tightly restricted such that you can't fuse anyone past the pool of your current area, thanks to needing Sleepers from the area itself as ingredients, so it's hard to chain them forward like you can demons in SMT. Basically of a kind with the Suikoden-like level curve, where the goal is keeping you at an expected level of power within any individual area.

But you can switch skills freely from one Sleeper to another (at the cost of destroying the ingredient Sleeper), so that's fine. Except that the character-specific SP skills can only be inherited from fusion. So if you actually want to carry them forward, you have to do weird fusion chains so that they can break into your current area. Or you can just give up and Sacrifice to keep your Sleepers level current, which together with skill inheritance makes fusion basically unnecessary if you can do enough blood sacrifices.

It feels like the system's juggling several competing needs and it can't decide on which of them matters most. It mostly works out so long as you're willing to roll with the low-hanging fruit, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's very funny that when you and your servant go to convince jinako to help and are just like, awestruck by the mere presence of karna while jinako is complaining that he's no good at cleaning or super smash bros

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
jinako rules and her arc as a character is like one of the most defining parts of why ccc rules

without exactly trying to make it a other rpgs vs persona 4 thing, ccc is just like an incredibly funny example of just how much nuance there really is to the subject of digging deep into someone's secrets and insecurities, in a way that simultaneously has more teeth but also is shockingly way more empathetic and not focused around like. fixing people exactly. like you don't want to make the weird people more normal. you literally just want to understand them and at most, help them understand what aspects about themselves push other people away so that they can stop feeling so lonely. jinako is awesome because she's probably the exact type of person who runs in the subcultural circles nasu and several other people who'd write a game like ccc have run in so while it makes digs at her it like, 100% understands her and doesn't actually think she's a bad person for being like that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 27, 2023

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm picking up .hack//G.U. Last Recode again, having been playing it off and on over the last few years. I'm in the middle of Volume 3 now.

I think this is my favorite actually kinda Bad video game. Like I'm into the general story and characters and atmosphere etc. I like the whole fake MMO conceit and all the supporting elements that entails like news articles and forums, especially when IRL proper internet forums have been grinded into specs of specs of dust at this point. I just wish this combat was at least as good as like, the average Tales game of the time. It's all pretty mindless and easy and boy there is A LOT of it, even if it is all a step up from IMOQ.

The Colonel posted:

jinako rules and her arc as a character is like one of the most defining parts of why ccc rules

without exactly trying to make it a other rpgs vs persona 4 thing, ccc is just like an incredibly funny example of just how much nuance there really is to the subject of digging deep into someone's secrets and insecurities, in a way that simultaneously has more teeth but also is shockingly way more empathetic and not focused around like. fixing people exactly. like you don't want to make the weird people more normal. you literally just want to understand them and at most, help them understand what aspects about themselves push other people away so that they can stop feeling so lonely. jinako is awesome because she's probably the exact type of person who runs in the subcultural circles nasu and several other people who'd write a game like ccc have run in so while it makes digs at her it like, 100% understands her and doesn't actually think she's a bad person for being like that
Yeah I think most of Nasu's stuff at its best is really good at exploring character psychology of weird or hosed up people or whatever without being like completely damning of them. Glad to hear CCC keeps this up.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 27, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the combat in .hack gu gets decent in like, the last third of volume 3, lol

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm thinking of diving in to the Ys series. What are the best versions of the older games?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm thinking of diving in to the Ys series. What are the best versions of the older games?

Honestly just start with Ys VIII. The plots are not interconnected enough to play the older ones first and it'll give you the best idea of if you'll enjoy what the series is going for.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Is there anything else like Final Fantasy XII…?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poppers posted:

In which way?

The "large open world with MMO-lite mechanics" element is covered pretty well by Xenoblade, but it doesn't have the gambit system.
Dragon Age: Origins has the Gambit system but is otherwise not remotely like 12.
FF12 has elements in common with FF11 in some areas but is an MMO.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Poppers posted:

As ImpAtom says, Xenoblade series is going to be really close, sans the gambits. Replace gambits with AI for your party and actively maintaining your cooldowns/positioning on your controlled character.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ornamented Death posted:

Ys I&II Chronicles if you want the really old stuff, Origin is a fantastic game that's a little old at this point, otherwise as ImpAtom said you could just start with Lacrimosa of Dana.

vvvv Can confirm. Origins is incredible, best in class. vvvv

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 28, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ornamented Death posted:

Origins is one of the best action RPGs ever made, can't go wrong starting there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hard no on recommending Ys 1 and 2 today unless you have a guide and a lot of patience. 1 has two bosses that are extremely difficult as the window to hit them is measured in miliseconds, and you'll have hit the level cap by this point. 2 is home to the tremendous headache that are the dungeons. Massive spawling places with no maps, no points of interest, and the story demanding you backtrack to a corner you've forgotten about.

Origins is a must.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

In which way?

The "large open world with MMO-lite mechanics" element is covered pretty well by Xenoblade, but it doesn't have the gambit system.
Dragon Age: Origins has the Gambit system but is otherwise not remotely like 12.
FF12 has elements in common with FF11 in some areas but is an MMO.

The gambits soothe me. Insane dopamine rush getting my rear end kicked by a hunt repeatedly until I tweak my gambits just right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poppers posted:

The gambits soothe me. Insane dopamine rush getting my rear end kicked by a hunt repeatedly until I tweak my gambits just right.

Hmm. One option that might work for you is Disgaea 6, which has a whole thing where you can build and program your characters and the general focus is figuring out how to optimize grinding and such. Might be in D7 too, I kind of fell off the series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can automate the combat in poe2 with what are essentially gambits. i could never get it to work very well, even after downloading other people's routines.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ys2 is genuinely really solid imo. Probably does need a guide though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Poppers posted:

Other gambit games:

Dragon Age Origins
Tales of Hearts R

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of hearts r has gambits but combat is real time with you directly controlling one character in an action game way so its pretty easy to just ignore the gambits

theyre fun to mess with tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man battle chip challenge