Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Poppers posted:

Is there anything else like Final Fantasy XII…?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2091620/Septaroad_Voyager/
started as a free expanison of Himeko Sutori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

lmfao what a name

looks neat but it’s going for something completely different… why did they do this…….

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
an oddball rec would be this touhou fangame: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1533590/Three_Fairies_Hoppin_Flappin_Great_Journey/

the whole game is centered around its gambit system. it has good reviews, though the tl does not look great. I get the impression it’s more of a complicated puzzle game than it is a turn-your-brain-off grinding game, though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm thinking of diving in to the Ys series. What are the best versions of the older games?

Eh, probably don’t start off with any version of 1&2 just yet

Origin, Oath in Felghana, or Ys 8: Lacromisa of Dana are all the best entry points and you require no background knowledge

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly just start with Ys VIII. The plots are not interconnected enough to play the older ones first and it'll give you the best idea of if you'll enjoy what the series is going for.

I get this, but a) I love old jank and b) I have all these old consoles (or their Analogue equivalents) and Everdrives, so...

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
have no idea if its actually any good but def am curious about it

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Ornamented Death posted:

I get this, but a) I love old jank and b) I have all these old consoles (or their Analogue equivalents) and Everdrives, so...

(Un?)fortunately for you, all of the best versions of the Ys games are on PC at this point. I suppose you could go back to the old releases of Ys 3 and 4 if you really wanted since they're basically different games, but Felghana and Celceta are story-wise remakes and replace them in the canon.

The one exception is Ys 5, which has no modern version available.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Poppers posted:

The gambits soothe me. Insane dopamine rush getting my rear end kicked by a hunt repeatedly until I tweak my gambits just right.

not quite the same but the feeling of seeing you party mow down trash mobs is something similar to RTwP games like icewind dale

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm having an enjoyable enough time with ff6 i guess but it's very funny to me how extremely little tera and celes have gotten to do up to the narshe defense stuff. the sheer quantity of party members in this game really brings individual writing for them to a screeching halt outside of whoever the current designated lead of a particular section is, it feels weird compared to ffv where i got a good feel for how everyone in the party interacted fairly quickly

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Poppers posted:

The gambits soothe me. Insane dopamine rush getting my rear end kicked by a hunt repeatedly until I tweak my gambits just right.

There was a game I worked on years ago called Tactical Chronicle, which is all about setting up gambit-like tactical programs for your party to execute in combat. It looks like rear end and is never coming out of Early Access so a bunch of quest and item descriptions are missing flavour text, but on the other hand it's fully playable with dozens of hours of content and costs like 3 bucks.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I picked up Nier Automata and am finding it somewhat disappointing. The combat feels floaty and not particularly engaging, especially having expected something like DMC and having come off playing Nioh. The premise is interesting but I feel like I can predict where this is going. just met the two Sephiroth guys by the dead aliens I’m sure this gets good but is it in like five hours? Is this a “it gets good after twenty hours bro” type of game? I vaguely know about the multiple routes/perspective shifts. May just put this down and move onto something I don’t feel like I’m forcing. Sucks because it felt like this game got a lot of praise critically and it’s not hitting for me

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

what audacity

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh the .hack//LINK patch got a surprise five years later update

quote:

This patch contains a 100% complete story translation. All story, all side/sub-content, and a translated menu. Does not have a corrected font yet and there are some textures left untranslated, but the story is not impacted by this.

That's great, shame the game is so dreadful

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i'm having an enjoyable enough time with ff6 i guess but it's very funny to me how extremely little tera and celes have gotten to do up to the narshe defense stuff. the sheer quantity of party members in this game really brings individual writing for them to a screeching halt outside of whoever the current designated lead of a particular section is, it feels weird compared to ffv where i got a good feel for how everyone in the party interacted fairly quickly

VI always felt kinda weird to me reception-wise, because yeah it’s a cool game and all and but the characters largely dont get fleshed out to the extent something that’s mostly praised for story does. An SNES game with like eleven mandatory party members and three optional ones (well in the WoB at least) with their own “thing” beyond limit breaks mechanically and at least a little bit narratively was kind of crazy ambitious though even if maybe if some of that ambition was misplaced and all kinds of jank gameplay-balance wise though, so I still respect it i guess.

biceps crimes posted:

I picked up Nier Automata and am finding it somewhat disappointing. The combat feels floaty and not particularly engaging, especially having expected something like DMC and having come off playing Nioh. The premise is interesting but I feel like I can predict where this is going. just met the two Sephiroth guys by the dead aliens I’m sure this gets good but is it in like five hours? Is this a “it gets good after twenty hours bro” type of game? I vaguely know about the multiple routes/perspective shifts. May just put this down and move onto something I don’t feel like I’m forcing. Sucks because it felt like this game got a lot of praise critically and it’s not hitting for me

For me personally Automata’s big draw was the side quest writing, partly because they tie into the main narrative and/or are just great black comedy. I’d give it to the amusement park at least, imho.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

with nier: automata if the combat is frustrating you id recommend just cranking it to easy and installing autocombat mods. i do think the story and quests are worth experiencing for yourself rather than watching an lp but the combat is not good and the chip loss system interacts with it in really terrible ways.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

biceps crimes posted:

Nier Automata's combat is definitely a more casual mashy affair than something like DMC or Nioh: the window for perfect dodges is incredibly generous, intricate bullet patterns are easily negated by swinging your sword around recklessly, health potions are spammable and in huge quantities, and while you do have a lot of fancy moves in theory, the encounter design never really warrants anymore more than basic combos and spamming dodge. So yeah, I wouldn't expect any real challenge from the game in that regard. Now, I wouldn't say combat is bad as it can still be quite the spectacle, but there isn't any sort of demanding technical mastery required.

The game's main appeal is definitely the story and characters, and especially all of the crazy meta/anime stuff (routes/perspective shifts) it ends up doing later on. I will admit that it can be a bit of a slow burn at times for some people who aren't immediately attracted to the story though in a 'it gets good later' style: in particular one of the routes basically asks you to play the entire game over again with only incredibly minor perspective differences gained by doing so, until eventually flipping the table over in a wild way that makes it "worth it". I'd say continue to play if you're fine with more cinematic spectacle games like God of War or Last of Us where gameplay is simple and just kind of carries you inbetween story beats, otherwise maybe give it a pass: as much as I do like it, it was pretty rough for me as well, only being carried by my admiration for Yoko Taro from Drakengard and Nier.

Oh, and the music is pretty amazing.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 29, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

biceps crimes posted:

I liked my route A playthrough well enough, but I had played Nier: Gestalt way back when and could set my expectations for the combat appropriately. I had to take a long break before I could be assed to finish my route B playthrough. C and D are amazing though, so in a sense it is a 20 hours later kind of game.

That said, I agree that the most interesting and better writing is in the sidequests so if you're skipping those, start doing them. Bad news, the combat will never get "good," by which I mean, on the level of Platinums other games.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i legit have no idea where people go the idea that Nier:A's combat isn't good but i couldn't stomach Bayonetta so maybe i have nothing to compare against

it's no Devil May Cry 3 or 5 but it's up there with any other competitor, though maybe you have to get a variety of chips to really feel engaged? i also kept the difficulty cranked up and i admit it was still fairly easy I suppose but not exactly mindless

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I found the gameplay in Nier:A so dire that it legitimately hampered my enjoyment of the game. Still loved the story though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I found the gameplay in Nier:A so dire that it legitimately hampered my enjoyment of the game. Still loved the story though.

Extremely same; I went into it really expecting it to be something like Metal Gear Rising or Bayonetta so I was intensely displeased with what I got. I put it down and never finished it and absorbed the story through osmosis and internet videos later.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think both Nier games are carried heavily by "vibes" (and I mean that in the best possible way). The combination of the music, environments, characters, etc adds up to something very compelling.

I think people heavily overstate the depth/quality of Nier Automata's plot. It's good, but nothing particularly mindblowing (and the specific thing at the end everyone is always gushing about didn't do much for me). It's mostly about the characters and setting to me, with the music being the thing that pulls everything else together.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Animation cancelling with weapon swap and changing weapons frequently was enough to hold my attention. But you quickly realize weapons are pretty samey insofar as gameplay is concerned and the enemy variety is quite dire.

Overall I had fun but mostly because it was flashy and the combat audio was good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nier a's combat is, Fine, if you go in expecting a decent ps3 action game, but if you go in expecting DMC like people compared it to its extremely disappointing

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've never played automata but I have played the Nier Replicant remake and I think the combat in THAT is fun enough, at least

Are there major differences?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

I've never played automata but I have played the Nier Replicant remake and I think the combat in THAT is fun enough, at least

Are there major differences?

Basically
- combos are a lot more involved with light/heavy attacks for 2B and even with just different inputs on your light attack attacks for 9S (since his heavy “attack” is attempting to cause extreme internal damage to enemy via minigame)
- different weapons, normal swords/greatswords/spears/fists, you equip two at once and the secondary one gets the heavy weapon moveset
- magic is treated more like a limit break than something you just do on the regular with the increased cooldown/damage
- dodging into attacks give I-frames and can be upgraded into witch time

I’m probably forgetting some stuff

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Endorph posted:

nier a's combat is, Fine, if you go in expecting a decent ps3 action game, but if you go in expecting DMC like people compared it to its extremely disappointing

Speaking of PS3 action games, I finally got to try FF16! It's so fun to play, I love that mid level action game feeling which reminds me of the one single good thing about Forspoken

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ornamented Death posted:

I get this. I've been recently playing around with PC-Engine CD games on my retro handheld. Now most of it can't hold my attention for long unless it is a platformer or beat-em-up, but I still want to give the Ys games on there a shot.

They can't possibly feel more ancient than something like Dungeon Master: Theron's Quest.

Edit: Actually, not so much that it is old, I just really miss a mouse with such an old dungeon crawler.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 29, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think both Nier games are carried heavily by "vibes" (and I mean that in the best possible way). The combination of the music, environments, characters, etc adds up to something very compelling.

I think people heavily overstate the depth/quality of Nier Automata's plot. It's good, but nothing particularly mindblowing (and the specific thing at the end everyone is always gushing about didn't do much for me). It's mostly about the characters and setting to me, with the music being the thing that pulls everything else together.

For some reason the thing at the end hit me so incredibly hard lmao. I'm, admittedly, extremely easy to affect emotionally though.

The gameplay was fine, like Endorph mentioned it's like.. a decent PS3 action game basically. 100% agreed that the game is way more about the spectacle, vibes, music and character stuff than it is about gameplay though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I played Nier Automata with a review copy before the game was actually released, so the ending fell super flat for me. Like, I knew it was fake since no one else had actually played the game yet.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Clarste posted:

I played Nier Automata with a review copy before the game was actually released, so the ending fell super flat for me. Like, I knew it was fake since no one else had actually played the game yet.

Oh yeah lol, that'd absolutely ruin it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm also exceedingly tired of 2B being in everything. Her taking up a slot in GBFVS is the first time I've been actually annoyed at it though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

goblin week posted:

Speaking of PS3 action games, I finally got to try FF16! It's so fun to play, I love that mid level action game feeling which reminds me of the one single good thing about Forspoken

Honestly I’d put Clive as a slightly more complex DMC4 Nero in terms of depth and complexity, which is still not too bad at all for action games

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The only Ys I didn’t like was 7. 8 is the best.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh yeah lol, that'd absolutely ruin it

When it launched on Xbox internet connectivity was broken, so you had no choice but to experience the lie.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Thanks, I think I'm going to put Nier away now. The Nier setting hasn't been doing it for me, as everything just feels washed out and bland. I think maybe my overall disappointment with how boring and floaty the combat is sours my experience with everything else about the game. My favorite parts have been the brief mech sections, which I could get more fully from some schmups. Going to move onto Armored Core VI, maybe I'll revisit Nier when I want to sit with something that promises more vibes rather than engaging gameplay mechanics.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Playing Symphony of War and reading through its support conversations makes me appreciate even the lowest Fire Emblem support conversations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
symphony of war would be a perfect game if it had like... not even good writing but at least something just like, two levels better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

symphony of war would be a perfect game if it had like... not even good writing but at least something just like, two levels better.

Honestly this is true of a lot of indie RPGs. They don't need to be like masterful storytelling but so many end up just feeling bored of their own characters and story. (And there's the opposite, ones which have more involved characters/plots but then the gameplay is like sub-DQ1 levels of involved.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a lot that goes into writing a single character, let alone a whole party of them, and a lot of indie rpgs feel like they just don't know how to actually get started on writing anyone. the only reason to get bored of your own characters is if you feel locked into doing something with them that you don't care about and at that scale of development, the only reason to feel locked into that is if you don't have it in you to think of anything better.