Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
caiys stirs...and so we are all Fated & Doomed to soon or eventually behold in aesthetic resplendence: Voids Vigil

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2738940/Voids_Vigil/

quote:

~ In a distant galaxy beyond our reach a super-massive blackened star was discovered now known as The Void. Numerous autonomous space stations orbit the celestial anomaly manned entirely by mechanicalised robots. Their purpose remains unknown... ~

Gameplay
Blast and dodge your way through robotic hordes in this auto-battler arena shooter. Make use of auto-firing guns and drones, timely dashes and special abilities to reach The Void where a randomly constructed final Conservator awaits convergence. Spend your Cogs wisely among the shops to create unique builds!

Features
Auto-battler action: Your guns and drones fight for you, auto-shooting the endless enemies. You'll still be busy though dashing out of the bullet hell and using timely special abilities, plus you can still manually force fire!

Hard quickies: There's a variety of game modes and difficulties to suit your tastes, with runs lasting between 6 and 20 minutes!

Character Classes: Choose from many vessels offering different playstyles and challenges!

Guns galore: Equip up to 6 guns at a time, each with different stats, traits, and upgrades!

Abilities: Equip up to 2 active abilities to manually trigger a variety of special events, such as spawn friendly droids, heal, or spawn more enemies to boost your resources!

Drones: You can also equip up to 6 drones that you may choose to install with a gun for maximum blasting, or maybe one of your abilities. There's also special support drones that for example heal you, destroy enemy projectiles, or hex enemies!

Shops: Between levels contact a variety of shop sellers to buy new weaponry, abilities, and passive items!

Element system: Guns and sectors have an element affinity which adjusts stats. Do you focus on an element to make the final sector easier? Or go for boosting your guns?

The arena and foes you face are randomly generated, including the final Conservator configuration which affects the type and power of its attacks!

Steam Leaderboard: Battle your foes, and your friends, to reach first place on the online Steam leaderboards!

Soundtrack Album: Comes with an album of all the game's catchy tunes (check your Steam Music Player!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I recently picked up Halls of Torment and Soul Stone Survivors. HoT is really fun but SS is pure crack holy poo poo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Picked up Death Must Die, it's pretty good. It's funny, the nature of this genre means that you run out of new dialogue way faster than in Hades.

Kinda wish it had an auto-aim mode like HoT, but it actually does pay to start and stop attaching so you can move faster, especially with the fire girl.

Estel
May 4, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

I recently picked up Halls of Torment and Soul Stone Survivors. HoT is really fun but SS is pure crack holy poo poo.

Soulstone Survivors has improved a lot since the last time I played with the addition of the passive skill tree to every character that adds additional mechanics to each one.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Soulstone Survivors suffers from having way too many currencies and resources to juggle like Scarlet Tower, I feel like.

Just grinding for the sake of grinding to get a slight % increase in gigantic passive trees.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played and beat Picayune Dreams yesterday. Very fun and satisfying VS-like. The story, music and boss fights were all top tier. Highly recommend.

I beat my first run yesterday! :cheers:

Helluva soundtrack, I think I loved all the tracks except the Area 2 track (I heard it a lot before finally learning how to make builds that can consistently survive lol) and the final boss themes are so goddamned good

Estel
May 4, 2010

Deakul posted:

Soulstone Survivors suffers from having way too many currencies and resources to juggle like Scarlet Tower, I feel like.

Just grinding for the sake of grinding to get a slight % increase in gigantic passive trees.

It's true that it has a lot of currencies but at the same time is not really a problem or an important enough problem because the way to get them is just playing in different maps and getting to X wave.

Also is true the tree has a lot of small % increases but a lot of things that can really change the gameplay with the runes and most of the time you can push really quickly to those game changing nodes or make it easier to get the achievements that unlock things.

The game has it's problems but it's a lot better than it used to be.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'll have to give it another shot! I haven't really messed with it since its early days.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Soulstone's passive trees are neat but its still dodge simulator the game and that makes me not want to put anymore time in it. The devs said they would eventually address this too though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I got turned off Soulstone because you can't see poo poo because all the SFX, but also you need to dodge so you actually need to see poo poo.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They have made great changes and options to visibility. It deserves another chance but there is still a lot of dodging. I still love it though so ymmv.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
If you really like the feel of skating around an arena dodging big area attacks then you'll enjoy it. If not, you probably won't

I enjoy it but my hands can't manage that level of intensity for very long

Re: visuals: I leave them on when I'm using a new weapon to get a feel for the shape of it, but turn them down more and more over the course of match until fully transparent at the end. Don't want anything getting in the way of reacting to those attack markers

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played and beat Picayune Dreams yesterday. Very fun and satisfying VS-like. The story, music and boss fights were all top tier. Highly recommend.

drat this rules

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Soulstone Survivor is a game wherein you play the biggest coward in the universe, forever running away from your fearsome foes, Red Circle and Red Bar. There's some other guff on screen, but you cant see it or even understand what it is, because Red Circle is coming! Run away!

Eventually, you get some crystals, which helps you run away faster - but ever are Red Circle and Red Bar on your heels.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Just got Halls of Torment, it's a fun time, but wow, the first level boss is surprisingly brutal, just died to it twice(making it to the boss with ~75% health as Archer the second time) after beating the second level on the first attempt.

e: turns out the boss is not a match for the Cleric and their Holy Sceptre; getting a Radiant Aura that could do >10k damage in one hit helped a lot too.

GarbiTheGlitchress fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 27, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I picked up Just King, it's neat but snow boss keeps kicking my rear end.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Moreau posted:

Soulstone Survivor is a game wherein you play the biggest coward in the universe, forever running away from your fearsome foes, Red Circle and Red Bar. There's some other guff on screen, but you cant see it or even understand what it is, because Red Circle is coming! Run away!

Eventually, you get some crystals, which helps you run away faster - but ever are Red Circle and Red Bar on your heels.

This makes it even better for me tbh, ty

Just gotta figure out how to mod the Benny Hill theme to kick in whenever I crank up to 100% transparency

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr_Gee posted:

This makes it even better for me tbh, ty

Just gotta figure out how to mod the Benny Hill theme to kick in whenever I crank up to 100% transparency
OBS your next run then doublespeed the video with that as the audio.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah I don't really dig SS for that reason, the fact that their solution to 'you literally can't loving see anything' with upgraded skills was 'just turn them all off lol' is a total failure of design

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

No clue what you mean

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I picked VS back up since I got the Among Us DLC for christmas and I'm having a hard time finding the Directer.
I was using the Imposter on inverse hyper library, holding Peachone and Ebony Wings and went as far left as I could in 30 minutes. I did spend some time getting the stuff on the right, but I don't think that should have made that much of a difference. Do I need to be using a base VS character, or maybe the bird that starts with both bird weapons? Do I need Vanadier? Did I just somehow not go far enough left?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I picked VS back up since I got the Among Us DLC for christmas and I'm having a hard time finding the Directer.
I was using the Imposter on inverse hyper library, holding Peachone and Ebony Wings and went as far left as I could in 30 minutes. I did spend some time getting the stuff on the right, but I don't think that should have made that much of a difference. Do I need to be using a base VS character, or maybe the bird that starts with both bird weapons? Do I need Vanadier? Did I just somehow not go far enough left?

I haven't got the Directer myself, but I read it was some bit past the Gold Ring to the right. Then there's supposed to be a Trickster you kill before the piano segment.

Though speaking of the DLC - anyone else feel like a good chunk of the evos are loving insane? I've taken to grabbing Lifesign Scan when I need a flex option because Paranormal Scan snowballs the gently caress out of you. Then either Emergency Button or Unjust Ejection if I need to kill a lot with low effort.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

widespread posted:

I haven't got the Directer myself, but I read it was some bit past the Gold Ring to the right. Then there's supposed to be a Trickster you kill before the piano segment.

Though speaking of the DLC - anyone else feel like a good chunk of the evos are loving insane? I've taken to grabbing Lifesign Scan when I need a flex option because Paranormal Scan snowballs the gently caress out of you. Then either Emergency Button or Unjust Ejection if I need to kill a lot with low effort.

I feel like the DLC weapons are slow starters. They need a fair bit of investment to get off the ground though once they do they're great.

Unless you're talking about the DLC map in which case all bets are off because it is hilariously easy to go insane on that map.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

GarbiTheGlitchress posted:

Just got Halls of Torment, it's a fun time, but wow, the first level boss is surprisingly brutal, just died to it twice(making it to the boss with ~75% health as Archer the second time) after beating the second level on the first attempt.

e: turns out the boss is not a match for the Cleric and their Holy Sceptre; getting a Radiant Aura that could do >10k damage in one hit helped a lot too.

In case you don't know, on the first level, follow the blood trail that you find south of the start to both ends and do the little events there. If you do both, it'll severely reduce that boss's HP.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)

Pope Guilty posted:

In case you don't know, on the first level, follow the blood trail that you find south of the start to both ends and do the little events there. If you do both, it'll severely reduce that boss's HP.

Oh, that's really neat, never thought of doing that, thanks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

widespread posted:

The only discussion I could find told me to go west. It actually being the other way makes more sense.

widespread posted:

Paranormal Scan is insane and I love it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
haven't played vampire survivors, though I did wind up buying it for later. grabbed Holocure because I've heard a lot about that, and am having a great time with it. music is phenomenal, graphics are solid, and the price is as good as it can be. in fact, I'm actually kind of angry that Kay Yu refuses to accept any sort of money in any way, even donations, for the game. there's lots of fangames or small simple games on steam that are free but have, like, a "tip jar DLC" that is just like, some art or the soundtrack, but is mostly a way to give the dev some money, but Kay Yu has adamantly refused anything for it and I don't like it

aced my first run with Ame, Bubba is just an absolutely ludicrous thing that buzzes around the screen exploding enemies and collecting loot, maxed out he's totally broken.

haven't been able to beat the second stage yet, tried a few runs so far and get really far but either gently caress up or just don't have the out-of-gameplay upgrades and unlocks necessary to survive things like Mikodanye. and I had a ridiculous run going with multiple Collab upgrades, but then I gave in to hubris and took this:

and then about 20 seconds after this screenshot, I was massacred by giant batterymen

great game, haven't unlocked anyone new, been pouring my cash into base stat upgrades. might try vampire survivors sometime but this is doing pretty well for me as is. I like the visuals and music more than VS's at least from what I've seen of that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
:yeah: HoloCure is great, glad you enjoy it. If you vibe with the graphics, I strongly suggest Halls of Torment too. Brotato and Boneraiser Minions are also top notch but they're slightly different takes on the same genre: Brotato goes for much more intense, wave-based runs with tons of weapon combos, while Boneraiser Minions has A TON of content and class variety and it's mostly about having your minions do the killing while you focus on avoiding enemies.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm actually kind of angry that Kay Yu refuses to accept any sort of money in any way, even donations, for the game. there's lots of fangames or small simple games on steam that are free but have, like, a "tip jar DLC" that is just like, some art or the soundtrack, but is mostly a way to give the dev some money, but Kay Yu has adamantly refused anything for it and I don't like it
Pretty sure this is due to whatever terms the Hololive company stipulates including that the developer is not allowed to make money off the game in any way.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

MMAgCh posted:

Pretty sure this is due to whatever terms the Hololive company stipulates including that the developer is not allowed to make money off the game in any way.

That was part of it at first, certainly, but they recently came out with a program that allowed the creators of fangames to actually monetize them.

The REAL reason, as Kay Yu himself has said, is that he wants Holocure to remain a passion project. His first and last concern is how happy he is with the game. Once he starts earning money from it, even if it's just in the form of optional donations, it starts feeling less like a hobby and more like a job, with all the stress and obligations that entails.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

MMAgCh posted:

Nah Cover corp has official licensing for games now and Kay Yu insisted on Holocure remaining a free fan game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

serefin99 posted:

That was part of it at first, certainly, but they recently came out with a program that allowed the creators of fangames to actually monetize them.

The REAL reason, as Kay Yu himself has said, is that he wants Holocure to remain a passion project. His first and last concern is how happy he is with the game. Once he starts earning money from it, even if it's just in the form of optional donations, it starts feeling less like a hobby and more like a job, with all the stress and obligations that entails.
yes yes but shut up and take my money tho

if anything he should finish it in whatever form he finds satisfying as a "1.0" and then let people give him money for the "final product" and then he can just churn out free updates whenever he wants.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Path of Survivors seems to function as an idle game decently well

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Captain Foo posted:

Path of Survivors seems to function as an idle game decently well

This is one of the worst interfaces I have ever seen holy poo poo

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

This secret for some reason won't show up until you've reached the end credits of the game, which might be your issue, it was for me. While the character unlock appears in the character menu, the associated entry in the secrets menu is not there yet. Also, you have to go East.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

hey, thanks for mentioning this game, it was not on my radar at all and is a ton of fun

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Safari Disco Lion posted:

This is one of the worst interfaces I have ever seen holy poo poo

it's not great i will tell u that

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
lmao Path of Survivors was the game that used the sprites from Duelyst wholesale, I completely forgot about that. Wild that Duelyst's files are open source so you have like two different Duelyst games + stuff like this.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ullerrm posted:

hey, thanks for mentioning this game, it was not on my radar at all and is a ton of fun

It deserves way more love so I'm glad to hear it!! spread the word!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Deakul posted:

Seconding this. VSlikes generally rely on a steady stream of upgrades to keep people interested. I didn’t unlock anything after my first two wins except the next levels, at which point I uninstalled.

Might come back to it if I am ever super bored but we’ll see, it seems to have its dedicated playerbase so I doubt the new player experience will be improved.