Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
Congratulations!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
After more than 11 months of living on unemployment benefits I have a job again. At a tiny firm with nice management who are also the owners of the company. Being unemployed sucked both financially and mentally so this is a big boost to the quality of life.

Dance Officer posted:

I feel like another self pat on the back is in order since I'm well on my way to saving €8000 this year, on a salary that is barely above minimum wage and 90% of full time no less.

Way to go! In these mad times no less!

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Potrzebie posted:

After more than 11 months of living on unemployment benefits I have a job again. At a tiny firm with nice management who are also the owners of the company. Being unemployed sucked both financially and mentally so this is a big boost to the quality of life.

So happy for you!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Been living on 25k/yr the past two years after leaving a shitbird employer who then sued me, for which I've paid a lawyer $15k (in part thanks to a HELOC). Finally got a full-time position again, tasked with pretty much entirely restructuring the distribution center operation, got a $4/hr raise out of it because I know fuckin' everything and nobody else knows poo poo, getting a fuckton of overtime

and now I am so loving close to being back in the black, though I'll still need to hit up my HELOC for another $20k to pre-pay the attorney's trial hours :shepspends: At least I got a baller fuckin' interest rate (3.99)

I cannot wait until February when all this poo poo is over and done with

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Beach Bum posted:

Been living on 25k/yr the past two years after leaving a shitbird employer who then sued me, for which I've paid a lawyer $15k (in part thanks to a HELOC). Finally got a full-time position again, tasked with pretty much entirely restructuring the distribution center operation, got a $4/hr raise out of it because I know fuckin' everything and nobody else knows poo poo, getting a fuckton of overtime

and now I am so loving close to being back in the black, though I'll still need to hit up my HELOC for another $20k to pre-pay the attorney's trial hours :shepspends: At least I got a baller fuckin' interest rate (3.99)

I cannot wait until February when all this poo poo is over and done with

JFC. _trial_ hours? Wtf does your former employer think you did? I hope it's more expensive for them than it is for you.

Will you at least be able to recoup costs if it goes in your favor? :ohdear:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

leper khan posted:

JFC. _trial_ hours? Wtf does your former employer think you did? I hope it's more expensive for them than it is for you.

Will you at least be able to recoup costs if it goes in your favor? :ohdear:

Paying trial hours in advance is pretty standard. 5 days, 8-10 hours/day, ~$350-$400/hr.

Tldr they're hosed and if it goes to trial I'm gonna be able to pay off my mortgage with the judgement.

They're alleging data destruction, breach of contract, unjust enrichment.

However, my cross-complaint alleges (with comprehensive evidence) that they misclassified me as salary exempt, this unpaid overtime, unpaid wages (didn't pay my last check). Oh, yeah, did I mention this fuckery is occurring in one of the most employee friendly states in the union? :sun:

If I prevail on the unpaid overtime (yes) or the unpaid wages (lol of course) I get treble damages, attorneys fees, and attorneys fees as damages :smugdog:

I fully expect a settlement offer at the door to the courtroom.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 14, 2023

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Have you decided in the number (big bigger biggest) you'll need to take the settlement?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
How did it even get to this point? Do they even have the money to pay you? Because holy moly. :stare:

Even if you did destroy the data they allege you destroyed those wage laws are automatic and statutory penalties and you get up to 30 days further wages for them not paying you. That's just the final paycheck part.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Spikes32 posted:

Have you decided in the number (big bigger biggest) you'll need to take the settlement?

Yes.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 14, 2023

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

How did it even get to this point? Do they even have the money to pay you? Because holy moly. :stare:

Even if you did destroy the data they allege you destroyed those wage laws are automatic and statutory penalties and you get up to 30 days further wages for them not paying you. That's just the final paycheck part.

For what it's worth my attorney is equally baffled.

They 100% have the money to pay me, and if they claim they don't there's millions in assets ripe for leins and seizures.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 14, 2023

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you're missing a zero on that number

devicenull fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 14, 2023

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I agree, not that I'm an expert on US law, but from what I've seen on it, you aim high.

Also, the fact they caused you this much hardship should cost them in a punitive way.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'll run it past my lawyer but he didn't counsel me otherwise when he asked the amount for which I'd be willing to settle. My local lawyer advised against seeming greedy and thinks it's the judge's place to assign any punitive damages.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

drat, hope everything goes well for you

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

For what it's worth my attorney is equally baffled.

Speaking of things you should be running past your attorney - these posts. Don't speculate, and don't disparage. The settlement agreement they will meet you outside the courtroom with will likely include these clauses.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Speaking of things you should be running past your attorney - these posts. Don't speculate, and don't disparage. The settlement agreement they will meet you outside the courtroom with will likely include these clauses.

You right :P

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 14, 2023

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My 401k hit $200k for the first time yesterday!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

My 401k hit $200k for the first time yesterday!

Hell yeah!

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
I have made so much money this year I no longer have to pay social security taxes.

What a country the US is!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tumblr hype man posted:

I have made so much money this year I no longer have to pay social security taxes.

What a country the US is!

I was confused as to why my paycheck today had an additional $377 in net pay this period - turns out I hit the limit too :lol:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I doubt I'm the only one, but I'll be the first to brag about it: We had more in (unrealized) cap gains than gross W2 income for 2023.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Three years ago I took a (small) leap of faith and made a career change. It has been the right move.

For 2023 my NET pay (wages / bonus / s-corp owner distributions) was double my GROSS pay from the job that I left at the end of 2020. That doesn't include the $35k I put into my SEP-IRA this year, or a large annual bonus that was paid at the beginning of 2024.

This year was probably a bit of an outlier and I won't count on this indefinitely, but I'll ride this train as long as it's rolling.

e: What a ride reading through my own post history in this thread.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

SlapActionJackson posted:

I doubt I'm the only one, but I'll be the first to brag about it: We had more in (unrealized) cap gains than gross W2 income for 2023.
We had more unrealized gains than expenses, woop woop.

Also I haven't bitten my nails so far this year, this is going to be the year of fancy elegant nails for me.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Unsure if this is the correct thread, but nothing else seemed to fit the bill. My father passed away in September and while he and my mom have plenty of money, he left behind a rats nest of credit cards, checking and savings accounts, subscriptions, useless gadgets etc. If I had to estimate how much money went to unused or seldomly used subscriptions, annual fees for credit cards (he had an Amex that went unused, except for the annual fee, for 41 years) it would be >$20,000 over the last decade or so.

My mom is 69 and has never used a computer. She has an iPhone, but only uses it for Facebook and Candy Crush. My dad literally took care of everything until 3 weeks before he died.

In October, her and I started combing through everything and she has caught up a bit on how to log in to an account, pay a bill, cancel or manage a subscription. But every time it's an emotional roller coaster for her (can't get the computer to start, batteries are dead in the mouse, doesn't know the username and password, doesn't recognize a charge on one of the credit cards so she calls and cancels it) etc. Last Friday she would up in the hospital with a rapid heart rate because she was so stressed out trying to cancel Netflix. She didn't know the username/password, so she called the credit card company (not sure why she didn't reach out to Netflix), she framed the conversation as fraud and Chase canceled the card; which of course means she needs to log in to other accounts and update the payment information, and the cycle starts anew.

I have a career and family of my own and am really done with letting her manage this herself. I can't have tear filled phone calls 3x per week because she can't remember her Amazon password.

I don't think she's at the place where I need power of attorney, but the stress of managing this is really getting to her (and me). What would be the best process to simplify all this for her? My thoughts are:

- keep one checking account, close all others (there are at least half a dozen)
- close (or at least stop using) all credit cards
- I will open one credit card in my name, with her as an authorized user, and review the statement with her every month. She can write me a check for the balance.

I realize this opens me up to potential fraud/credit issues, but I trust her to not abuse the card. She's not someone who overspends, but when it comes to technology of any kinds she is totally lost.

I am open to any suggestions.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

See a lawyer and have her grant you power of attorney for both property and medical, if she's still mentally competent to make decisions. Also get her a will if she doesn't have one or update the one she has if it hasn't been reviewed in at least 5 years.

My parents got all that done some years ago when my stepdad started showing early symptoms of dementia and I'm really glad they did. My mom got diagnosed with cancer this summer and was unable to janitor her own bills while undergoing treatment and I was able to step in pick up the ball.

If you don't get those legal documents while she's of sound mind before you need them, you won't be able to get them when she's no longer competent and you really need them.

I would not open accounts in my name for mom to use. Your consolidation plan sounds reasonable otherwise. Have her add you as a joint owner on her bank accounts so you can make transactions for her, and set up a password database with the logins for the rest of the accounts she's going to keep and use.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 5, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Getting poa is good. Not only because by the time you need it it is difficult to get, but also because it takes time to get the documents to everyone who wants them and prove to their satisfaction that it is legitimate.

Then you can keep one card in her own name, have the bill delivered to your house, and just call the credit card company as the POA.

Good luck, this situation isn't great.

And man, maybe we do need an elder care thread!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
She's definitely competent to make decisions. She does lack common sense and gets easily frustrated with technology.

Wills and trust for her property are already in place.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Would your mom be amenable to just adding you as a joint owner to her accounts and then letting you handle all the finances and essentially locking herself out so she doesn’t have to stress about it, like before?

If I were you and your mom was my mom I feel like letting her try to keep handling this herself is going to end up with her being scammed and losing all of her retirement and savings because she clearly doesn’t have the financial competency (from a lifetime of letting someone else handle it probably) to do this. So you can either invest time teaching her properly, or invest time setting up auto payments and consulting with her monthly, or hiring someone else to do it for her.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Baddog posted:

And man, maybe we do need an elder care thread!

We probably do as situations like this will be coming up more often, unfortunately. I'm trying to remember how everything went down when my grandmother got on in years and was unable to manage her finances. My mom played the game of having her name on my grandmother's accounts to keep the assets unavailable to the nursing home and to bypass estate taxes when the time came. I also vaguely remember either my mom or my aunt complaining about a situation where POA wasn't enough to let them do whatever admin that needed doing. There were also some other fun tidbits like finding out the hard way there's an upper age limit to annuities.

Edit: Also yeah, I'm agreeing with the above in an extremely round about way. When my grandmother started slipping into dementia mom had to take the checkbook away as well as binning the junk catalogs before they came into the house to keep her from ordering endless crap. No one of any age needs literally 100 pairs of pants: it was out of sight, out of mind with her. All magazines had to have the subscription cards taken out first as well or else she'd keep sending them in. By constantly doing that she had extended Reader's Digest out to 2023 when she would have been 102 years old. And these are minor wastes of money, we're thankful she didn't fall for bigger scams.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 5, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
An elder care thread would be good.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They make goons in their 50s now, so we probably have need for the thread on both ends of the arrangement

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah I’d buy my kid an account so she could learn from that thread

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I’d buy my kid an account so she could learn from that thread

Lol, no poo poo, almost in that position myself. I don't want my kid to know what my account is tho!

And I don't feel quite up for making the OP of an elder care thread, but maybe someone else will step up here?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I passed the $1m mark this past year.

It's a weird feeling. I've been working in the same career for over a decade now. My longest period of unemployment was 6 months when I moved across the country, otherwise I've been continuously employed the whole time. I've been consciously saving and learning about personal finance and investing for something like 8 years now, so it's something I've been working towards and I feel like I accomplished something. But at the same time I was assisted hugely by an unnecessary education fund, a generous grandmother and the sale of a family business, so it's not like I earned it all myself. It's also not something I feel okay talking about with people IRL. I feel this weird combination of accomplishment tinged with shame.

Money is endlessly confusing. We have a million dollar net worth, but feel like the poor couple amongst our friends. We still rent, our apartment is large but run down, we only have one car, my wife makes less than $20k a year, I can't reasonably see buying something where we live, in one of the most expensive cities in the country. Many of our friends own $1-2 million houses, drive nice cars, have fancy clothes, fancy jobs. Sometimes I wish I could just ask "How the gently caress do you do it? Are you not saving? Do you just make way way more than we do? Do your parents help? What's going on here?"

At the same time, I know the stats. We're somewhere in the 5-10% of people in the country. We're far above the median net worth for most families, even farther for historically disadvantaged folks like Black families. We also have friends where we're the rich friends. We are factually extremely well off. It's odd to feel so rich but also comparatively poor at the same time.

I'm also aware of how precarious life can be. My wife had breast cancer in 2021. We were incredibly fortunate that I was employed with good health insurance and we were able to get through that. It fundamentally changed both of us, and while she is currently NED, we're both still recovering emotionally three years later. So, I'd like to save more, but also gently caress it, we have to live now. My wife is convinced she is going to die young. How can you really scrimp and save with that on your mind?

Anyway, sorry for the E/N portion of this post. I haven't really posted about this elsewhere on the Internet and I saw people do it in this thread so here we are.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Awkward Davies posted:

It's a weird feeling. I've been working in the same career for over a decade now. My longest period of unemployment was 6 months when I moved across the country, otherwise I've been continuously employed the whole time. I've been consciously saving and learning about personal finance and investing for something like 8 years now, so it's something I've been working towards and I feel like I accomplished something. But at the same time I was assisted hugely by an unnecessary education fund, a generous grandmother and the sale of a family business, so it's not like I earned it all myself. It's also not something I feel okay talking about with people IRL. I feel this weird combination of accomplishment tinged with shame.

Money is endlessly confusing. We have a million dollar net worth, but feel like the poor couple amongst our friends. We still rent, our apartment is large but run down, we only have one car, my wife makes less than $20k a year, I can't reasonably see buying something where we live, in one of the most expensive cities in the country. Many of our friends own $1-2 million houses, drive nice cars, have fancy clothes, fancy jobs. Sometimes I wish I could just ask "How the gently caress do you do it? Are you not saving? Do you just make way way more than we do? Do your parents help? What's going on here?"

At the same time, I know the stats. We're somewhere in the 5-10% of people in the country. We're far above the median net worth for most families, even farther for historically disadvantaged folks like Black families. We also have friends where we're the rich friends. We are factually extremely well off. It's odd to feel so rich but also comparatively poor at the same time.

I'm also aware of how precarious life can be. My wife had breast cancer in 2021. We were incredibly fortunate that I was employed with good health insurance and we were able to get through that. It fundamentally changed both of us, and while she is currently NED, we're both still recovering emotionally three years later. So, I'd like to save more, but also gently caress it, we have to live now. My wife is convinced she is going to die young. How can you really scrimp and save with that on your mind?

Anyway, sorry for the E/N portion of this post. I haven't really posted about this elsewhere on the Internet and I saw people do it in this thread so here we are.

Congrats. We didn't even realize when we hit the milestone. It's one of those things where it's objectively a lot but it's not enough where we can stop working/etc.

There's always someone richer. And a lot of the people who flaunt money are actually massively in debt and barely holding on.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

First off: :toot: - congratulations it's a huge accomplishment.

The answer here is "all of the above." You have friends who are richer than you, poorer than you, make a surprising amount of money (you said they have fancy jobs - some of those pay a startling amount of money,) and who have rich or at least overly generous parents. You mentioned you had familial help and probably make some decent money in an expensive part of the country. Some of your friends are probably doing the "normal enough" path of putting 10-15% into their 401k automatically (or even maxing out the base contribution) and then spending the rest down to zero. Some of them have both partners working at decent or high paying jobs which adds up quick once they are over their base required expenses. If they both make $160k - a very normal bay area salary for highly skilled labor - that's $320k a year in income. Suddenly a $2MM house seems attainable, especially if they have paid off their student loans or had parents to help. Many of them have probably been homeowners for a long enough time that they are comfortable with it from a mortgage perspective. Some of them are likely capital-D-Drowning in debt and one leaky roof away from disaster. Some of them had comically large windfalls from stock options.

I think through this math with some of our friend group and wonder the same things you are - one of our friends they are both teachers (public college and public K-12) but seem to spend like crazy. Neither has mentioned any kind of trust fund, but either way we've stopped being as "frugal" when making plans with them. Part of it is they both have pensions coming as long as they can manage not to diddle/murder/etc any students. This is like a trust fund in itself. Another one he's openly said the magic words "you can't take it with you" but then the moment his job faltered they (parents, 2 kids) had to move in with mom and rent out their house. They drive brand new $100k leased cars, bought a huge house, renovated it very expensively (and very... riskily from a taste longevity perspective,) you name it. They are up to their eyeballs in payments. Most of our friends live seemingly within their normal person modest means.

The important thing here is not to compare yourself to these friends, compare it to what you and your wife value in life and what brings you joy. If you've realized you want to spend some more of your income in 2024 to do something - that's fine. You didn't mention an age, $1M at 20 is a very different number than $1M at 65. Both impressive, one is :stare: . Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Look at your budget, set a goal, and go do it. Leverage your million bucks in the bank to take a risk. That's what it's there for and why generational wealth tends to accumulate (see: grandma, family business, free education.)

Also: You're doing the right thing not rubbing your friends faces in it. I know some of our friends got a shock when we bought a new house and immediately started in on renovations with no firm moving plans. I work in tech, most of our friends work normal skilled person jobs. We also drive a 2016 priusv and 2013 honda civic. They look beat. Who cares? It's gauche to talk about money - but that's somewhat "old thinking" where employers didn't want you talking about compensation with your peers lest they not be able to underpay you (remember the fancy jobs?) It's gauche to talk about money by way of bragging.

Awkward Davies posted:

My wife had breast cancer in 2021 she is currently NED

And may it stay that way, gently caress cancer. :toot:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Sup fellow 1mm net worth and breast cancer survivor! We are still trying to fully integrate the desire to live now and not defer our dreams for a time that may never come. So far she’s reduced her hours and stress at work and traveled more, but everything else is the same.

I do feel like we could stop saving for retirement if we wanted to and still retire with millions since we have 20+ years unless we want to retire early. Seems like as long as we don’t touch our retirement savings we will be OK, but right now I’m contributing 75% of my paycheck to my 401k in case I get laid off or quit later this year.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Brain Curry posted:

Sup fellow 1mm net worth and breast cancer survivor! We are still trying to fully integrate the desire to live now and not defer our dreams for a time that may never come. So far she’s reduced her hours and stress at work and traveled more, but everything else is the same.

I do feel like we could stop saving for retirement if we wanted to and still retire with millions since we have 20+ years unless we want to retire early. Seems like as long as we don’t touch our retirement savings we will be OK, but right now I’m contributing 75% of my paycheck to my 401k in case I get laid off or quit later this year.

401k money is usually locked up :confused:
if i was expecting an issue, id save into a brokerage account or HYSA or short-mid term treasuries

you do you tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

leper khan posted:

401k money is usually locked up :confused:
if i was expecting an issue, id save into a brokerage account or HYSA or short-mid term treasuries

you do you tho

I assume they have other savings, and are just trying to hit the contribution limit while they can.