Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Anyway weakening wild creatures to make them easy to capture *is* directly in the Pokemon games, that in particular is a silly thing for people to get mad about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Heads up for anyone trying to build complex bases, it seems like having your benches and the like on the second floor of a building fucks up the worker AI. When constructing the bench, the pals will do so from the ground floor directly below it, but then when it's time to craft they will stand in a similar spot without ever actually doing anything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mulva posted:

Have they considered that you can *not* be cruel to the Pals? You don't even have to fight and capture them, you can liberate them from Team Rocket. Or egg raise them. You can totally skip the beating the poo poo and capture them stage of things [Beyond maybe 1 to get the tutorial prompt to go away, and I don't if there's just an option to do that.].
As someone who doesn't like the cruelty, I appreciate that this is the case!

It doesn't really bother me if a game allows for cruelty, when it's a choice, because then my choice to not be cruel feels better. I feel this game has it kind of baked into the humor of the world though. There's no real reward for just establishing friendship, while there's a whole cost-benefit gameplay system for abusing them.

I also want to add that at the start of this conversation I was kind of defensive because I don't feel like the position "it sucks this game features cruelty" was worth the hostility it was getting. One can feel that way without reaching all these dumb conclusions about the game people were talking about. But then I actually read the PC Gamer article, and other articles on the subject. Holy poo poo, online journalism is garbage. There is a reasonable point to be made, but these articles are clearly inflammatory rage bait. "I hope Palworld gets its just desserts and fades into obscurity" is a sentence that was published by a real major online videogame news site (that I will not link to keep them from getting the rage clicks they're fishing for).

That kind of discourse is dumb as heck and deserves to be mocked.

And, of course, I want to emphasize that someone saying "the cruelty sucks" is not saying all the other hyperbolic things these rage-bait articles are saying.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 20, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

imo it's a serious black mark for gamepass that their version of this game sucks so bad. Despite my reticence to do so I caved and picked up the Steam version.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Eiba posted:

As someone who doesn't like the cruelty, I appreciate that this is the case!

It doesn't really bother me if a game allows for cruelty, when it's a choice, because then my choice to not be cruel feels better. I feel this game has it kind of baked into the humor of the world though. There's no real reward for just establishing friendship, while there's a whole cost-benefit gameplay system for abusing them.

But there are benefits to being kind and caring? Making sure your Pals have a good working environment, making sure they are eating good food, making sure they have the nicest beds, that they have access to leisure activities like the hot tub and others means they recover sanity faster. You can make it entirely possible to never have to swap out your pals except after raids pretty trivially, allowing you to just infinitely let them Do Their Thing, without needing to be micromanaged. The kind/caring gameplay loop lets you head out for long periods of time and adventure and catch more pals and do dungeons while work is done.

The cruelty side makes things faster, it makes things get made more quickly, it runs the pals to the brink to get more efficiency, but you constantly have to micromanage them to swap out ones who have been worked to near death. It requires you be around to manage your base and keep things going Properly. It's faster but requires you to focus on it to really use that Faster. You are constantly called back to base to go swap someone, and yeah warping is easy and plentiful but it is an interruption you have to deal with.

This seems intentional by design: you don't have to go full labor overseer slaving over your Pals. You can make sure they're comfortable and happy and get along well and get a nice efficient base that needs little to no micro, and I think that's a good 'reward' for it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HopperUK posted:

Anyway weakening wild creatures to make them easy to capture *is* directly in the Pokemon games, that in particular is a silly thing for people to get mad about.
Yeah, I'm not trying to pile on the "actually if you think about it Pokemon is already cruel" train here, but the only difference is that instead of telling your pokemon to punch them in the face, you do it yourself. Somehow that feels way different, though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

But there are benefits to being kind and caring? Making sure your Pals have a good working environment, making sure they are eating good food, making sure they have the nicest beds, that they have access to leisure activities like the hot tub and others means they recover sanity faster. You can make it entirely possible to never have to swap out your pals except after raids pretty trivially, allowing you to just infinitely let them Do Their Thing, without needing to be micromanaged. The kind/caring gameplay loop lets you head out for long periods of time and adventure and catch more pals and do dungeons while work is done.
That's fair. I was kind of thinking of those things as just the basics to keep them alive, but I'm still early on on the game. I see there are nicer things later on too.

I did build a little bath and it's really satisfying to see my guys relax in it! So, good point. Complaint retracted.

I still think there's a pretty obvious edgy humor in the writing, but it's pretty ignorable, and isn't a detriment to gameplay so far.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Endgame seems wild

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
was hanging out in my base when I got a Raid alert

My base got suicide bombed by two birds. They had a lot of HP and I ran out of stamina and one blew up in my face killing me instantly

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is that a fulton launcher?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so how's the controller support?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

so how's the controller support?

Great imo it’s meant to be played with a controller.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I turned off raid events when I was making the world. Maybe once I know what I'm doing, but for now I just wanna build and have little buddies and adventure around.

My little guys are working the berry plantation I put in to make food for them! I will bake berries for you, small friends. I have two cats and two lambs and a chicken. Not sure if I should try taking on that not-Meganium wandering around nearby.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Raids just mean free materials tbh

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Anyone playing this om steamdeck? If so what is the battery like- seems like a good steamdeck game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FrickenMoron posted:

Raids just mean free materials tbh

And free pals you wouldn't normally get for quite a while if you can catch them before your base murders them all.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
There was a this little 16 bit survival game that did a lot of this but with monkeys. It’s cool to see it all scaled up because I really liked that monkey game.

How hard is it to capture the team rocket guys? I like the idea of making a base that’s run by nothing but them as penance for their not-Pokémon crimes.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh yeah you can just hop on a rushroar and charge into rock piles and get like 30 rocks in one second as well,s ame with the paladium chunks

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you get a saddle for any of the flying pals you can pretty much fly anywhere you want, its awesome. And grab all these upgrade statues and treasure/eggs on peaks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I love your character! Majestic.

Its great because my brother and I both made the exact same character

Also I have finally unlocked flying

Now the world is my oyster

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Now here's a regal mount

Edit: as a bonus he increases carrying capacity by +100

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is the three shot bow better than the crossbow?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk if its even edgy to note that the whole pokemon thing in general looks like cutesy dogfighting and that if you're going to world build something like that that isn't for literal small children you might have to address that the whole thing looks kinda hosed up. honestly leaving it as a loony tunes level of violence is what you'd do if you are specifically not just trying to play up the shock value

moderately hot take aside, who cares the game is fun

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is the three shot bow better than the crossbow?

I believe the three shot is 120 damage if all 3 shots hit. The crossbow does 280 in one shot.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I turned off raid events when I was making the world. Maybe once I know what I'm doing, but for now I just wanna build and have little buddies and adventure around.

My little guys are working the berry plantation I put in to make food for them! I will bake berries for you, small friends. I have two cats and two lambs and a chicken. Not sure if I should try taking on that not-Meganium wandering around nearby.
I got one of those Meganium things at about the point that you are. It was a tough fight and I got real lucky, but I'm glad I did it. It's got useful work types.

I also got one of my best pals from a raid- it was chaotic but my base workers took care of things while I just threw balls out. Early raids can be good.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Science_enthusiast posted:

Anyone playing this om steamdeck? If so what is the battery like- seems like a good steamdeck game.

I get about 2 hours on a full charge with an original model.

Do Pals eat cooked food in the feeder? I feel like they always go for the raw food instead.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

How do I setup my pal farm? I'm playing on casual and I'm honestly not sure if my pals can starve to death.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Hope they update the gamepass version soon...Don't wanna start it until it at least has temporary parity with steam version

I dont have an extra 30bux to drop pokeman's with guns :(

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I get about 2 hours on a full charge with an original model.

Do Pals eat cooked food in the feeder? I feel like they always go for the raw food instead.
I think they eat left to right.

WarpedLichen posted:

How do I setup my pal farm? I'm playing on casual and I'm honestly not sure if my pals can starve to death.
To get fully self sufficient, all you need is enough beds at your home base to start. Then get a berry farm, enough pals that can plant, water, and gather, and put a feeding trough nearby (so that it's the nearest container, closer than any other chest). The pals should be fully automatic in farming the berries, and will drop them off in the feed, where they'll eat when they're hungry.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think they can starve to death, but they might not do much work if they're hungry.

To get automatic food production going, you will want to start with either some ranches with the chicken pals in them to produce eggs, or berry plots with one pal who can plant seeds and one who can water.

Once you have either eggs or berries, you will want to set a batch of them to be cooked in the campfire and will need a fire pal with kindling to do the cooking for you.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Scoss posted:

I don't think they can starve to death, but they might not do much work if they're hungry.

To get automatic food production going, you will want to start with either some ranches with the chicken pals in them to produce eggs, or berry plots with one pal who can plant seeds and one who can water.

Once you have either eggs or berries, you will want to set a batch of them to be cooked in the campfire and will need a fire pal with kindling to do the cooking for you.

If they don't get enough needs met they'll eventually fall down and be incapacitated until you put them back in the pal box for 10 minutes.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Keen on getting this, but one important question:

Can it be played solo offline, similar to BG3 singeplayer, or is it one of those online-only games?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Leal posted:

I believe the three shot is 120 damage if all 3 shots hit. The crossbow does 280 in one shot.

I got an uncommon crossbow scroll that does over 340 damage per shot, not sure how to farm those scrolls, but they seem to be a good way to get the best weapons.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

EorayMel posted:

Can it be played solo offline, similar to BG3 singeplayer, or is it one of those online-only games?

You can play solo and offline, local server with up to 3-4 people, or a separate server for 32 people.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

EorayMel posted:

Multiplayer is optional, perfectly playable solo offline.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hamelekim posted:

You can play solo and offline, local server with up to 3-4 people, or a separate server for 32 people.

explosivo posted:

Multiplayer is optional, perfectly playable solo offline.

Excellent. Thanks :tipshat:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

You can't do any dedicated server stuff on anything but the steam version, windows version under gamepass for windows is just as locked down as the actual Xbox version. The Xbox PC/console peer to peer poo poo definitely is less than ideal because your world dies when the host player logs off their system.

I got a dedicated server running on my home server pretty easily, fortunately someone already built a docker image for it. The quirck is that you can't password protect it at the moment because the direct connect dialog doesn't know how to prompt for a password BUT you can if you can find your server in the community server list, that prompt works. It's just a bug and the devs are aware of it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Thankfully unlike a lot of these games there does not seem to be any agonizingly slow countdown timers requiring real-time hours to pass like in Ark or Conan, so it seems totally fine to just do session based play while your friends are around.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
The fact that this game has MP is wild because as an SP game it feels really complete.

I had the same feeling when I (very much under leveled) walked into the first boss encounter and realized, wow, this actually is a pokemon game too. Just very expensive, even if it's buggy and EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

So far I'm really enjoying that nothing takes too long because you can just dump Pals on it. I completely skipped on my player work speed because the Pals seem to handle everything just fine on their own.