Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
gently caress off prof, do you want me to explore, or fight off everything running at me at once?

I don't see you out here catching these Paras and Starly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skipmyseashells posted:

The gamepass version just got a 16 gig update, has to be dlss and at least servers for the Xbox ecosystem

No DLSS yet

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I lucked into a pal with two speed boost traits so now I'm running a breeding program to get both of those traits inherited onto a flying mount

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Solus posted:

They’ve done the 3D Modelling equivalent of tracing someone’s drawing
Those 3D model comparisons were damning if you look at them from the perspective that they were designing for a game that was a Pokemon clone, but given the game is clearly riffing on Pokemon in a parodic way (with the slavery, the guns and general edginess and shift of genre to something wildly tonally incongruous with Pokemon) it becomes less plagiaristic. Definitely skirting the line, but like, Doom was probably more infringing. No parody there, they outright ripped artwork from books and made questionably distinct midi versions of metal music.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 23, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
At level 7, I tried to capture a human. He kept breaking out , unfortunately.

Then a bunch of level 24 guards spawned to shoot me. So I kited them back to the giant grass elephant thingy and let them get stomped on. Eventually I remembered to crouch so they stopped spawning and my wanted star went away.

Now I have bullets but no gun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Treecko posted:

gently caress off prof, do you want me to explore, or fight off everything running at me at once?

I don't see you out here catching these Paras and Starly.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind someone out her to contextualize whatever the hell is going besides some quest logs, raiders, and one small settlement so far. Just plopped out of character creator and started punching chickens, there's probably a middle ground.

On emergent adventures: my great mining camp spot is actually between some trouble alert and tough creatures so I've had to build some walls. I found this out by warping in to find some of those vegan Marvin martians attacking my miners. They ended up killing me, but my pets finished him off before I could respawn, just wasn't watching my health since I assumed it was safe lol. Then I died respawning from its angry buddy attacking me naked before I could even move. But short walk to my own base to recover and fight back. Then some wandering cult raiders started picking a fight. Haven't even had a raid yet, just keep pissing off locals.

Next mission is to find some good ore miners, only king penguin is mining ore and he eats like a pig.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Tombats have been my go to passive ore miners. Dark element pals don't seem to need to sleep or beds, so they keep going through the night. Another mvp for me is the poison squid guys from the dungeons. All they have is level 2 transport and gathering (harvesting) so they just constantly truck ore and berries at my ore camp.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I have two bases. One is on a flat area with some rough, but completely passable terrain all around, in fact, there are even cliffs overlooking my working area. One is on top of a massive spire of rock super high up, you have to fly to get up there, with a bunch of ore and coal nodes. The base area is almost bigger than the total space available.

Guess which one gets raided?

Obviously it's the completely inaccessible cloud fortress, and the enemies just sort of mill around a mile below me, then eventually despawn and my game helpfully informs me that the enemy is defeated.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Nucular Carmul posted:

Guess which one gets raided?

It seems like raids only happen when there's someone in the base, so they should be appearing wherever you're spending the most time.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

isndl posted:

It seems like raids only happen when there's someone in the base, so they should be appearing wherever you're spending the most time.

That's the weird thing though, the only thing that base has is ore and smelters. All my other poo poo, crafting lines, ranch, breeder, incubator, it's all at the flat one that anyone can easily raid. I only go to the spire to bring ingots back to the main base and make sure the fire lions have work to do and cotton candy to eat. I objectively spend way more time at the base you can just walk to.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Youtuber Wanderbots (who I generally enjoy) has listened to all the hype and take down any of his Palworld videos (Craftopia series still up) because 1. he doesnt want to get sued or something and 2. they used AI before an whether they used it in Palworld or not he's still done with it. LOL
https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx7wiR95JhzhQDW93coKIBRVjqsjwlEnKs

Also, Protip: I've been dropping chests by any node I mine regularly.
Makes it easier when you inevitably get overloaded and as long as 1 piece of ore sits in that node, it wont respawn.

Majestic jerk who cant get down

Beware the lure of the massive tree in the far NW.
Because of invisible wall

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I am extremely weird about base locations any it will annoy me to not have at least one good one - can anyone suggest great earlyish game base locations so I stop doubting myself?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think I remember reading to not bother with armor aside from weather resistance? My new metal armor just broke after I had already repaired it once before I realized it drains almost a whole metal nose of ore. Is it completely useless broken and I should just not bother at all, switch back to leather or just accept this broken message?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There definitely needs to be some change to durability's baseline. When you've spent like 200 ingots and 70 large pal oils to craft an epic handgun and it takes like ANCIENT parts to repair, it gets kinda ridiculous. Or the epic weather resistant metal armors that take like 14 flame organs to repair after breaking within 3 minutes of leaving base.

Stuff should probably last 2-3 times as long before breaking and only cost money or new repairing specific resources to fix.

On another note, I still haven't been able to find a golden key chest, or 'end game' stuff on the overworld aside from level 50ish world bosses.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

OgNar posted:

Youtuber Wanderbots (who I generally enjoy) has listened to all the hype and take down any of his Palworld videos (Craftopia series still up) because 1. he doesnt want to get sued or something and 2. they used AI before an whether they used it in Palworld or not he's still done with it. LOL

That guy posted:

I should also mention that the core theme of slavery and forced labor for both monsters and humans is unacceptable in its own right. I had hoped that the game would be centered around liberating Palmon from an oppressive, Team Rocket-style organization, but discovering that no: you're also putting monsters to work in a factory setting felt really bad to me. Especially since you can also catch, butcher, and potentially (I didn't play long enough to verify this:) breed humans. I recognize these themes are present in Pokemon, and that it's slightly hypocritical to give them a pass as well, but just because GameFreak does it doesn't mean it's okay. Even if its supposed to be parody, it's pretty tasteless to me.

extremely lmao how people twist themselves up about this game

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Just sold another million copies in 20 hours

Orv
May 4, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

I am extremely weird about base locations any it will annoy me to not have at least one good one - can anyone suggest great earlyish game base locations so I stop doubting myself?

Here's some good pre-flight base locations I've found. Note that the furthest north one in the golden area is under the huge rock outcropping and while it has a ton of completely flat, completely open area it has basically no natural resources.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
What stats are people doing at levelups? I'm focusing mostly on stamina and hp. I did 1 level in work speed and a few in weight but they just don't seem to have the utility of more stamina and more health.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Torpor posted:

What stats are people doing at levelups? I'm focusing mostly on stamina and hp. I did 1 level in work speed and a few in weight but they just don't seem to have the utility of more stamina and more health.

1000 HP, then the rest in work and weight cap. Mind you, we are cheating on our server with basically infinite stam.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Interactive maps with all the spoilers you can muster.

2 to choose from

https://palworld.th.gl/?ref=rpalworld
https://palworld.gg/map

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I found a schematic for legendary cloth armor and tried making it. It's trash, don't bother. Complete waste of ancient parts.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I would love to see a weather cycle in this game at some point. I was just thinking about early game in Ark or Stranded Deep and how nice it is to finally get a roof over your head to avoid the rain and the debuffs that come with getting stuck in it. There's a certain ambience to hunkering down in your diy forts while it comes down outside.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
As long as we can turn it off so the game audio isn't overpowered by loud rain noises the entire time, as some games like to do it

Orv
May 4, 2011
All games should feature lovingly rendered snow which is not just because I live in a horrid desert but also mostly

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

At least point to something they did steal: The Zelda BoTW/ToTK temperature gauge.

Jealous of the people playing though - my 1070 aint gonna run this and no date on the PS5

Griz posted:

I have a 1060 and it's fine
I have a 970 and it's mostly fine.

Peachfart posted:

I encourage all devs to steal the good parts of games.
Yeah look what happened with the Nemesis System :(
The closest example in a large game with something like it I know of was Watch Dogs Legion's Profiler and well, that was attached to Watch Dogs Legion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn_c-HM0Vk

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's difficult to not make snow a flashbang

it's a flashbang irl too but still

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Yeah look what happened with the Nemesis System :(

Sadly WB pulled a WB and hyper locked down the Nemesis System with patents. It's very cool.

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's difficult to not make snow a flashbang

it's a flashbang irl too but still

Implement sunglasses that effect the render pipeline

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Orv posted:

Sadly WB pulled a WB and hyper locked down the Nemesis System with patents. It's very cool.
Yeah that's what I mean. The absolute worst part is they haven't used the loving thing since either.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

On another note, I still haven't been able to find a golden key chest, or 'end game' stuff on the overworld aside from level 50ish world bosses.

There is a golden key chest in between the teleport point on the highest mountain in the north/snow island, and the tower on that same mountain. That's the only golden key chest I've found so far.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm not into most survival games but the hype ground me down and I picked it up on Steam, figured I could refund if it wasn't my cup of tea. Built a lovely little base, then found a better place for my base so I painstakingly trekked back and forth bringing all the materials from one chest to another. I found a shiny chicken at some point and attacked it to bring its health down, then it set everything around me on fire and killed me and burned down my house. Got it in the end though!

In short, game seems pretty fun and surprisingly cute. Don't know how much time I'll have in it since Infinite Wealth is out in a couple days, but that'll give it time for some updates.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Base icons need to be a different colour. Or all icons types, no reason to blend in.

Orv posted:

1000 HP, then the rest in work and weight cap. Mind you, we are cheating on our server with basically infinite stam.

Without cheating stamina, I put most of my points in stamina and a bit into weight. I put a couple into HP lol. I have a Dodge roll so I just treat it like any game with one and max stamina to avoid getting hit. Shield for grace period.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

BabyRyoga posted:

There definitely needs to be some change to durability's baseline. When you've spent like 200 ingots and 70 large pal oils to craft an epic handgun and it takes like ANCIENT parts to repair, it gets kinda ridiculous. Or the epic weather resistant metal armors that take like 14 flame organs to repair after breaking within 3 minutes of leaving base.

Stuff should probably last 2-3 times as long before breaking and only cost money or new repairing specific resources to fix.

About 600 posts ago some dude posted his .ini or whatever and you can like hella slow down durability wear or whatever

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Up to 6mil sales now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OgNar posted:

I absolutely love how much this stupid game has broken people’s brains so badly.

It’s quite impressive.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Okay, I had put a chest next to the lumber and mining sites so I could deposit the hundreds of things without being encumbered.

Apparently if the chest is touching the site it autostores them?!

That's huge lol, hopefully it's useful to another newbie.

This game rules. I was just chased through a dark forest by a pokemon better described as a 10 feet tall man wearing a suit, ran into a thug encampment that started throwing grenades at me. I escaped all that, and a weird nocturnal bird teleported next to me and killed me. GOTY

Edit: this chest thing is more complicated than it seems. I have certainly seen the number in the chest increase by itself. But it may require certain pal to be doing the task? If it's just the deers doing the logging it doesn't seem to happen?? More research is needed, but there IS some degree of automatic storage

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 23, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone playing on the default "normal" setting?

I made a go of it and caved after a few hours. Trying to farm electric organs will deadstop progress as they are so much less common then the other types. I can't find more then a straggler here and there meanwhile I run into herds of water/fire/poison pals.

Default settings definitely appeal to the Ark/Rust crowd but for the casual pokemon/BOTW player it needs to be a lot more generous. I'll probaby keep playing deep into EA but for any resets or major content update carry weight will be the first thing to go. At the point you hit the tech tree for circuity, you need to aggressively mine for

- sulfur
- quartz
- coal
- ore

Most players probably hit a max carry weight of 900, which is only a few dozen quantity at best, which when refined reduces by 2 and then on.

As far as animal parts, wool is easy to get from ranches, but you need a ton of bones for concrete and the only source is certain pals, mostly birds it seems like. All the elemental organs are consistent but low drops. Boss monsters can be farmed 1x per hour for ancient parts but only 2 per. Butcher them for another 4 but that comes back to needing parts for schematic equipment.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Okay, I had put a chest next to the lumber and mining sites so I could deposit the hundreds of things without being encumbered.

Apparently if the chest is touching the site it autostores them?!

That's huge lol, hopefully it's useful to another newbie.

This game rules. I was just chased through a dark forest by a pokemon better described as a 10 feet tall man wearing a suit, ran into a thug encampment that started throwing grenades at me. I escaped all that, and a weird nocturnal bird teleported next to me and killed me. GOTY

Edit: this chest thing is more complicated than it seems. I have certainly seen the number in the chest increase by itself. But it may require certain pal to be doing the task? If it's just the deers doing the logging it doesn't seem to happen?? More research is needed, but there IS some degree of automatic storage

Pals with the gathering ability will carry things to storage. Nothing auto-populates into storage.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Yeah, but people earlier were saying that the 9999 storage in the sites was because even pals with gathering didn't remove it. And that seemed to be the case for my sites, until I put the chest very close to it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not far enough in the game yet, but are there server options that help with the late game material grind? I could make a 2nd base now, but I think it'd have to be an ore mining one, that mountain plateau someone posted earlier looked nice but I probably can't reach it yet (need to make a Nitewing saddle)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

TeaJay posted:

I'm not far enough in the game yet, but are there server options that help with the late game material grind? I could make a 2nd base now, but I think it'd have to be an ore mining one, that mountain plateau someone posted earlier looked nice but I probably can't reach it yet (need to make a Nitewing saddle)

Aquila posted:

I wrote up a guide for world settings.

Day/Night speed: 0.1-5, default 1, I have it set to 1, unsure what this translates to in real time.
EXP Rate : 0.1-20, default?, I am doing 5 and found it a bit fast until 35, just about right for me now
Pal Capture Rate: 0.5 - 2, default?, I have it set to 2 and find it much too low given how expensive balls are
Pal Appears Rate: 0.5 - 3, default?, 3
Damage to/from Pals Multiplier, 0.1 - 5, default 1, I have it set to 1
Pal Hunger Depletion Rate: 0.1 - 5, default?, I Have it set to 0.5, will probably lower it
Pal Stamina Depletion Rate 0.1 - 5, default?, I Have it set to 0.5, will probably lower it
Pal Auto HP Regeneration Rate, 0.1 - 5, default?, I have it set to 5, makes the game a bit too easy
Pal Sleep Health Regeneration Rate, 0.1 - 5, default?, I have it set to 5, no noticeable difference
Damage from Player multiplier, 0.1 - 5, default 1, I have it at 1, damage is pretty low if you don't build current tier weapons
Damage to Player multiplier, 0.1 - 5, default 1, I have it at 0.1, this made a huge difference, no getting one shot by same level bosses, much more of a Pokemon feel, let my pets fight for me
Player Hunger/Stamina depletion rate,0.1 - 5, default 1, I have it at 0.1, not something I want to worry about
Player auto hp regen rate, 0.1 - 5, default 1, I have it at 5, maybe a bit high
Player sleep hp regen, 0.1 - 5, default 1, I have it at 5, no noticeable difference
Damage to Structure Multiplier, 0.5 - 3, default 1, I have it at 1, so far damage to my base has been low enough that I don't care unless I can set it to 0
Structure Deterioration rate, 0 - 240, default ?, I have it at 0,
Max items dropped, 0 - 3000, default ?, I have it at 3000, probably a performance thing. However given how bad Pals are at hauling in my mining camp I may raise it
Gatherable multiplier, 0.5 - 3, default ?, I have it at 3, still running out of stone, ore, coal, Sulphur
Gatherable objects hp multiplier 0.5 - 3, default 1, I have it at 1, unsure what difference this would make
Gatherable objects respawn interval 0.5 - 3, default 1, I have it at 1, unsure what difference this would make
Dropped Items Multiplier 0.5 - 3, default ?, I have it at 3, maybe a bit excessive
Time to incubate massive egg, 0 - 240, default ?, I have it at 0, seriously why make yourself wait?
Enable Raid Events off-on, default on, I left raids on, I'm obviously a bit overpowered with my other settings, raids don't last long
Death Penalty no drops, drop all except equip, drop all items, drop all items and pals, default ?, I have it set to no drops, hardcore type penalties just aren't my thing
Max guilds 1-100, default?, I have it at 20
Max pals working at base 1-20, default? I have it at 20

For a more Pokemon experience changing Pal hunger, stamina, auto hp regen, player to/from damage multiplier, auto hp region, and death penalty are probably the most important. You still can't really ignore the survival crafting part of the game due to needing pokeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

TeaJay posted:

There's a much more accesible giant ore patch at 158, -358 but it is a bit cramped.