Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pick one ya fuckin' hypochondriac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Pick one ya fuckin' hypochondriac

I find that the first usually is a symptom of the second tbh

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So repair kits just in storage mean pals will just grab to repair damaged equipment?

Yeah its only been 4 days but this thread needs to compile a list of those things for all new players to know.

Mining node locations is a big one, getting base 2 up and running for ore will free up a ton of early tech roadblocks.

Also schematics seem to sell for 1k, common and most rares are probably immediately sellable.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Palworld is definitely not going to ever steal Pokemon's lunch. Even Pokemon Arceus, which my impression is that it got kind of a middling reception (I don't even own a switch), has apparently sold 16 million copies.

I have to imagine there are definitely some people at Nintendo scratching their heads about why they couldn't have made this game first considering how Pocketpair seems to be a company that exists due to a wish on a magic lamp or something, it should have been free money for a company with the resources Nintendo has. They wouldn't even need to rip off designs, they own them all!

I wonder how much the bigger japanese studios and overall industry are actually even aware of the survival genre since it mostly has been a western PC thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valatar posted:

Palworld isn't going to be any sort of pokemon-killer, but I hope it manages to wake up some Nintendo execs to the fact that there was and is a huge market for an open world pokemon that isn't hot garbage like the switch titles. I've been saying for years that pokemon players would lose their loving minds over a MMO and it's not like they don't have the money on hand to do it right.

People say they would but I don't think anyone actually wants to play a Pokemon MMO, they at best just want to be able to wander around with friends (which is something the games are already allowing.) The restrictions of an mmo would make the games a lot less fun for people because it would inherently push the game into hardcore minmaxing.

Scoss posted:

Palworld is definitely not going to ever steal Pokemon's lunch. Even Pokemon Arceus, which my impression is that it got kind of a middling reception (I don't even own a switch), has apparently sold 16 million copies.

I have to imagine there are definitely some people at Nintendo scratching their heads about why they couldn't have made this game first considering how Pocketpair seems to be a company that exists due to a wish on a magic lamp or something, it should have been free money for a company with the resources Nintendo has. They wouldn't even need to rip off designs, they own them all!

I wonder how much the bigger japanese studios and overall industry are actually even aware of the survival genre since it mostly has been a western PC thing.

I mean I don't think it's that confusing. Nintendo was not going to make Pokemon but with guns and you butcher Pokemon. They have open world survival games but they're stuff like Zelda.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Found a Vanwyrm and it's much better than Nitewing. Does it have a chance to spawn with Swift or do I need to juice a bunch to feed to my best one to get it? I haven't built the juicing tower yet.

Celaray has been a great battler for me, probably because the one I'm using is a shiny with a crazy lightning move, and some bubble move that keeps one shotting stuff I'm trying to catch. It's tough and hits hard and gliding with it is better in every way than even the mega glider

ImpAtom posted:

People say they would but I don't think anyone actually wants to play a Pokemon MMO, they at best just want to be able to wander around with friends (which is something the games are already allowing.) The restrictions of an mmo would make the games a lot less fun for people because it would inherently push the game into hardcore minmaxing.

MMO anything is an automatic non-starter to me, but I think Temtem already tried this niche, no clue what it's up to but I was interested up until I found out it's basically not single player at all and is all about competitive battling. Not my thing, I just wanna wander around with the stupidest looking monsters I can find doing stupid things

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
So I know that Pokemon Arceus *was* Nintendo's attempt to address the demand that people have had for a long time to evolve past the very rigid retro structure of the mainline pokemon games and stretch into something a little more open world-- as someone who never played it, what is Palworld doing that Arceus didn't (or didn't do well)?

Is it purely just the addition of Ark/Rust/Valheim style base-building, crafting, and a dash of Dwarf-fortress colony sim? Not hamstrung by switch hardware?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Scoss posted:

Always worth remembering that Pokemon is the most valuable franchise on earth. That being said, it's pretty clear that this game is making it extremely clear that there is a HUNGER for this sort of game among folks.

It's interesting that whenever a crazy completely inexplicable thing seems to happen in gaming, it always seems to be Pokemon related: First twitch plays Pokemon, then Pokemon Go taking the world by storm, now this. If anything I think that dollar amount up there undersells the cultural impact of the franchise.

Scoss posted:

So I know that Pokemon Arceus *was* Nintendo's attempt to address the demand that people have had for a long time to evolve past the very rigid retro structure of the mainline pokemon games and stretch into something a little more open world-- as someone who never played it, what is Palworld doing that Arceus didn't (or didn't do well)?

Is it purely just the addition of Ark/Rust/Valheim style base-building, crafting, and a dash of Dwarf-fortress colony sim? Not hamstrung by switch hardware?

What killed Arceaus for me was how it starts you with over an hour of unskippable cutscenes and tutorials. I couldn't keep my eyes open. Besides that, the open world aspect is just less fun, you have to capture multiple copies of each pokemon, but it doesn't really justify it except "The quest says you've gotta"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Scoss posted:

I haven't played it either so I can't say, but being on PC is a huge appeal for my, and lol Nintendo that's never going to happen.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Epic High Five posted:

MMO anything is an automatic non-starter to me, but I think Temtem already tried this niche, no clue what it's up to but I was interested up until I found out it's basically not single player at all and is all about competitive battling. Not my thing, I just wanna wander around with the stupidest looking monsters I can find doing stupid things

You can do the entire game single player; I did. There's multiplayer stuff like battling, trading and co-op too. What you might be thinking of is that there's a recent battle simulator for Temtem that lets you skip the rest of the game and get right into competitive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scoss posted:

I would say it moves the focus to the player rather than the Palkemon. You'll do most things yourself instead of relying on a Pokemon for it and when you do rely on Pals it's overall a much grimmer thing. At its heart Pokemon is about Pokemon being your friends, versus Pals being disposable labor and resources.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Valatar posted:

Palworld isn't going to be any sort of pokemon-killer, but I hope it manages to wake up some Nintendo execs to the fact that there was and is a huge market for an open world pokemon that isn't hot garbage like the switch titles. I've been saying for years that pokemon players would lose their loving minds over a MMO and it's not like they don't have the money on hand to do it right.

Eh. Some people want it. I don't.

Admittedly I'm a die hard Pokémon fan, and that's why I noticed the rips in the first place.

I like being able to choose between raising up my fav guys and making them thier best.

Getting everything tossed at you at once is terrible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Scoss posted:

Arceus had an open world and you could throw pokeballs at pokemon (who appeared on the map) instead of fighting them, but otherwise it was a very pokemon game. The game loops were mostly the same pokemon game loops except you had a reason to catch more than one of each.

I feel like you’re underselling how different this game is in conception compared to a pokemon game. This isn’t a “catch train battle” thing, it’s a “catch build survive” thing. The addition of all that stuff completely changes the nature of the game.

I would argue that whether or not someone likes Ark is way more predictive of if they’ll like Palworld than if they like Pokemon. Despite the character similarities they’re totally different genres.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

[X] game but WITH POKEMON is an extremely untapped market. Harvest moon but there's pokemon would probably do gangbusters

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I play competitive pretty hard tho.

Don't always win, but I raised you guys.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRSN13jH3E

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Agean90 posted:

[X] game but WITH POKEMON is an extremely untapped market. Harvest moon but there's pokemon would probably do gangbusters

Again, that's Rune Factory. And they're good!

Maybe not 2, I liked 4 the best.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Arceus had an open world and you could throw pokeballs at pokemon (who appeared on the map) instead of fighting them, but otherwise it was a very pokemon game. The game loops were mostly the same pokemon game loops except you had a reason to catch more than one of each.

I feel like you’re underselling how different this game is in conception compared to a pokemon game. This isn’t a “catch train battle” thing, it’s a “catch build survive” thing. The addition of all that stuff completely changes the nature of the game.

I would argue that whether or not someone likes Ark is way more predictive of if they’ll like Palworld than if they like Pokemon. Despite the character similarities they’re totally different genres.

I know very well that Palworld is more Ark than Pokemon. What I didn't know is how traditional of a Pokemon game Arceus was, which is why I asked!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
The problems with Rune Factory games was always just getting them localized, always had to go though the same publisher, and they had very limited runs.

But they all involve catching monsters, assigning chores to them, mining ect.

With a bit of experience, you can EXP farm all of your stats too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Treecko posted:

But they all involve catching monsters, assigning chores to them, mining ect.

Are they as cute as Pokémon Pals though?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I don't think it's that confusing. Nintendo was not going to make Pokemon but with guns and you butcher Pokemon. They have open world survival games but they're stuff like Zelda.

Surely they're talking more about the survival crafting game aspects and not "enslave/kill pokemon/use pokemon as weapons" aspect that you could easily make a whole game about and fit into Pokemon as a whole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lots of games with 'mons exist. But this one has 95% match Pokemon in it which I think is the magic sauce. I'm trying to imagine this game but with mons designs that aren't pokemon-like (and you don't do pokemon things to them like throw balls to capture them) and I think the game would be lesser for it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Scoss posted:

I know very well that Palworld is more Ark than Pokemon. What I didn't know is how traditional of a Pokemon game Arceus was, which is why I asked!

Ah, got you. It was was closer to a traditional pokemon game than to something like palworld. It did have pokemon out on the map to catch and some of the boss battles were action based where you had to throw poo poo at them over and over while dodging attacks. I liked it quite a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Lots of games with 'mons exist. But this one has 95% match Pokemon in it which I think is the magic sauce. I'm trying to imagine this game but with mons designs that aren't pokemon-like (and you don't do pokemon things to them like throw balls to capture them) and I think the game would be lesser for it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if this didn't have "Pikachu but with a funny hat" style designs it wouldn't be getting attention.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Rinkles posted:

RF5 kinda runs like poo, but the monsters are p cute in my opinion.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know how Electricity works; does my yellow Sonic just like need to "fill the battery" and then Crafting stuff at my Assembly Lines drains the Power Capacity?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Treecko posted:

RF5 kinda runs like poo, but the monsters are p cute in my opinion.

I’ll try to give it a go some day.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sab669 posted:

I don't know how Electricity works; does my yellow Sonic just like need to "fill the battery" and then Crafting stuff at my Assembly Lines drains the Power Capacity?

Yeah, just have an electric pal running around and they'll charge the battery, which can then be used by electric appliances around the base.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DaveKap posted:

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know how sales on Steam work, there's a really funny note to take away from this document mentioning they've run out of money: They probably aren't going to get paid for the Palworld sales until March.

What the gently caress? They made sales, they are due compensation.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Sometimes, Palworld will have a design and pun that makes me wonder how no one came up with it before. Tombat is :discourse:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Steam trading cards don't grow on trees ya kno!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

MMO is a bad word for it since MMOs ended up all being a pretty narrow band of gameplay in the end. But the idea of a persistent world that continues to be played on when you're not there, where you and others cooperate and compete for resources and space, bartering and trading, while having fun playing with your creatures exploring a big world with lots of activities is still the kind of thing people would really love.

It's just the realities of making such a game always turn them into the MMOs we have, which are much narrower and pretty much "solved."

I don't know if it's even possible yet to have the kind of interactions of these theoretical games on massive scales. Even if those tech challenges were long solved and Nintendo was ready to support such a service, Nintendofying all those various mechanics is unreasonable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Potato Salad posted:

And they will get it, probably net 90. No marketplace instantly pays out to the vendor, for a number of reasons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

MMO is a bad word for it since MMOs ended up all being a pretty narrow band of gameplay in the end. But the idea of a persistent world that continues to be played on when you're not there, where you and others cooperate and compete for resources and space, bartering and trading, while having fun playing with your creatures exploring a big world with lots of activities is still the kind of thing people would really love.

It's just the realities of making such a game always turn them into the MMOs we have, which are much narrower and pretty much "solved."

I don't know if it's even possible yet to have the kind of interactions of these theoretical games on massive scales. Even if those tech challenges were long solved and Nintendo was ready to support such a service, Nintendofying all those various mechanics is unreasonable.

I think cooperate is right, I don't think 'compete' is. The honest answer is that if anything becomes a competition then you're going to have people finding ways to make it as incredibly unfun as possible in the name of optimization. Palworld wouldn't work if it was that kind of game for example, having a server where you can remove/ban people goes a long way towards keeping it tolerable.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

woke kaczynski posted:

Like I said I'm still early on, but is there ever a quick way to move lots of materials if I want to move my base? I moved my base early on because I built it right in the middle of the ruins at first and then later found a nearby spot near a waterfall that I liked way better, but even at that early stage it took a bunch of trekking back and forth with wood and stone weighing my pockets down. I'm seeing that eventually you unlock multiple bases, so can you send items between bases when you get there?

Make the grappling gun. Deconstruct everything and take it into your inventory. Use the grappling gun to move around while weighing a few tons, the game does not care.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Orv posted:

Koffing and Gengar just forgotten

Gengar is my fav pokemon. Is there a "not Gengar" in the game?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Survival builders are always cancerous if large playercount servers are the default/assumed. These types of games (ark, valheim, etc) are infinitely more enjoyable with small to medium sized groups of people you more or less know who don't necessarily work together, but aren't actively hostile to each other either.

If everyone is an enemy and you can have dozens if not hundreds of people in the same environment, you get poo poo like last oasis. Great concept, cool mechanics, an unfun slog to actually try and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

god I love this game