Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is there any way to drop key items? My partner made a hip lantern for me but grabbed it out of the bench to clear the space and now she has two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

cumpantry posted:

Me. i want Him

It's too big a file size; I tried trimming and cutting frames on an online editor but I couldn't get anything usable for an avatar out of it :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Work to bring the world together... By investigating whether we have grounds to legally tear apart some punks making a fun game people enjoy together.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I know there is a cow pal that gives milk but I have no idea where to get one. I need a good milk supply so I can start breeding!

Anyway, the game remains pretty fun about 13 hours in at level 28 or so. I've been playing on easy which does away with base pal morale issues, which seems nice.

The catch rate is still pretty terrible, I can't imagine playing on hard

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Pigbuster posted:

Welp.

https://corporate.pokemon.co.jp/media/news/detail/335.html

Guess we'll get an answer one way or another

I've spent the last couple days thinking that if the week ends without any comment then ti's all cool and there'll be a port for a nintendo console next year. Them speaking at all makes me think poo poo's gonna go down lmao

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

SettingSun posted:

Is there any way to drop key items? My partner made a hip lantern for me but grabbed it out of the bench to clear the space and now she has two.

nope build a third

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Welp.

https://corporate.pokemon.co.jp/media/news/detail/335.html

Guess we'll get an answer one way or another

They can try, and clearly tons of "experts" are ready to line up and insist the game is stolen pokemon valor, but how the gently caress have they not looked into this prior, or they did and found nothing actionable. The entire marketing was literally Pokemon with Guns for 2 years straight.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

they are a corporation, and japanese

they were probably taking their time and building an internal case

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I would assume once it caught on some people looked into it more over the weekend, then Monday morning copies were purchased to analyze with like, actual real tools and experts in the subject both on the technical end and the law end, and after 3 office days they felt confident to issue a statement.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

They can try, and clearly tons of "experts" are ready to line up and insist the game is stolen pokemon valor, but how the gently caress have they not looked into this prior, or they did and found nothing actionable. The entire marketing was literally Pokemon with Guns for 2 years straight.

They knew drat well that "Things that have a similar art style" isn't actually legally actionable. They don't own the rights to create animals with exaggerated shapes with big eyes and high saturation/contrasting colors, or rock-paper-scissors elemental combat.

The only thing that's come out that's suspect was (supposedly?) Pals being new textures slapped over actual pokemon models. And I think even that came out to be disproven or something.

e; vvvv That's how I interpreted it too

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that comment reads more like TPC saying "stop asking us about Palworld" than any statement of actual legal intent

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/Palworld_EN/status/1750350702000607389

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
its some new gamer rage form of swatting where you beg and plead for the billion dollar corporation to nuke a game you don't like

there's been a ton of disinfo on social media in general about this game, TPC/Nintendo probably has to at least make an effort to look into it. Tons of the characters are not IP, like you can't IP a mammoth or a sheep, but this is levels of western dev rage that eclipses what happened with Elden Ring.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Countblanc posted:

that comment reads more like TPC saying "stop asking us about Palworld" than any statement of actual legal intent

Yeah. It's also worth noting that copyright law and IP/trademark law are very different with different standards and bars.

Everyone keeps saying either "PalWorld is free!" or "Shut down the game!" but I could also see a scenario where a judge is just like "Ok you need to change the wolves I guess" and everyone moves on.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, I like the game but if Nintendo actually does anything its a completely self-inflicted wound by the devs. Like, you can say that you can't copyright an art style, but there are definitely a few obvious knockoff 'mons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deki posted:

Man, I like the game but if Nintendo actually does anything its a completely self-inflicted wound by the devs. Like, you can say that you can't copyright an art style, but there are definitely a few obvious knockoff 'mons.

Yeah, but given how many mons are based on real/mythological world animals you can't then say you own the rights to unicorns or turtles

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Deki posted:

Yeah that's where I am. I think the best case scenario for this game where action is taken is that they have to change some of the obvious copies. I've seen "what about digimon" off site but I can't think of a single digimon (or general mon game,) design that comes as close as some of these Pals.

Definitely curious how this all plays out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Countblanc posted:

Yeah honestly that sounds like they just want people to stop bothering them about Palworld.

I don't think Nintendo are about to try to say they own the rights to 'a fox with fire on its tail'. They'll check into the 'stolen models' thing and if it's not true, then there's nothing. Even if it is true, it's clearly not true of every Pal, so probably the devs can just yank out the copied models and put in new ones. They obviously do know how to make models at this point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It was funny for a week but now I'm pretty tired of hearing about Pokemon. Nothing is going to change, Palworld didn't 'get one over' on Nintendo, and the same types of Pokemon games are going to come out. We'll probably get a PUBG-like genre explosion though which is good for everyone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Nintendo is going to develop a mid size Pokemon game that is an open world explore and craft with some kind of multiplayer, and it will sell 20 million copies before Palworld ever leaves EA.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Yeah honestly that sounds like they just want people to stop bothering them about Palworld.

I don't think Nintendo are about to try to say they own the rights to 'a fox with fire on its tail'. They'll check into the 'stolen models' thing and if it's not true, then there's nothing. Even if it is true, it's clearly not true of every Pal, so probably the devs can just yank out the copied models and put in new ones. They obviously do know how to make models at this point.

I've heard that Japan doesn't have an explicit parody stipulation and in general is much stricter about this stuff, so who knows. Hopefully at worst the judgement would be "make them look different" and not "give us all your income in perpetuity". The annoying thing is that if they decide it's not a problem, they almost certainly aren't going to say so, leaving the whole thing in limbo.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 25, 2024

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

pentyne posted:

Nintendo is going to develop a mid size Pokemon game that is an open world explore and craft with some kind of multiplayer, and it will sell 20 million copies before Palworld ever leaves EA.

pokemon co doing something relatively new and innovative? i highly doubt that would ever happen. they can half rear end their games as much as they want and people will gobble it up. that being said, if they *did* do anything like this, it would be a literal money printer for them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pentyne posted:

Yeah, but given how many mons are based on real/mythological world animals you can't then say you own the rights to unicorns or turtles

I don't really care about that, its more the ones like Lovander where it looks like they straight up just pallet swapped a pokemon and added a few details and called it a new design.

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah that's where I am. I think the best case scenario for this game where action is taken is that they have to change some of the obvious copies. I've seen "what about digimon" off site but I can't think of a single digimon (or general mon game,) design that comes as close as some of these Pals.

Definitely curious how this all plays out.

Yeah, I've seen Dragon Quest's monsters used as a comparison but there's really zero chance of mistaking one for the other.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo just says to remove a large amount of potentially infringing material and the palworld devs do, because doing that would be far cheaper than taking it to court.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They mean they're going to look at the gameplay and copy it for their next game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

pentyne posted:

its some new gamer rage form of swatting where you beg and plead for the billion dollar corporation to nuke a game you don't like

It is insane to think that is what is going on

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

It is insane to think that is what is going on

That is what a few thousand people have been screeching for on twitter for the past week unfortunately, people are annoying like that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fajita Queen posted:

That is what a few thousand people have been screeching for on twitter for the past week unfortunately, people are annoying like that.

Every day I am thankful that I fully dropped Twitter.
What a waste of time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think bases "turn off" if you don't visit them after a while. I visited my ore outpost after a time and everyone there unfroze and went to work, and there wasn't that much ore for me to collect.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Leal posted:

They mean they're going to look at the gameplay and copy it for their next game
In all seriousness, if they ever want to do a Pokemon Legends 2 there's a lot they could crib from Palworld.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if nintendo actually intended to sue they would not release a statement about it until they were already suing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah Nintendo is famously litigious and Japan has much stricter laws on this (no concept of "fair use") so if they had anything they would've snapped it up after the announcement, like they do with fan games.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Third World Reagan posted:

Nice walls

raiders keep walking through mine like they don't exist

Line them with normal walls on the back and they won't do that anymore.

Highly recommend building normal walls first, then putting Defensive Walls in front of them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can we stfu about how it looks alot like pokemon and lawsuits and other bullshit (unless it's actually happening)? Yeah, we've known that since its announcement. We're hundreds of pages into this thread.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

I know there is a cow pal that gives milk but I have no idea where to get one. I need a good milk supply so I can start breeding!

Anyway, the game remains pretty fun about 13 hours in at level 28 or so. I've been playing on easy which does away with base pal morale issues, which seems nice.

The catch rate is still pretty terrible, I can't imagine playing on hard

Yes. You'll know them when you see them. Just head north

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Inzombiac posted:

Every day I am thankful that I fully dropped Twitter.
What a waste of time.

This past week has been the most I've been aware of twitter culture in quite some time.

edit: where is sulfur btw? I can't make gunpowder without it and I've never seen it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can we stfu about how it looks alot like pokemon and lawsuits and other bullshit (unless it's actually happening)? Yeah, we've known that since its announcement. We're hundreds of pages into this thread.

no

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

We're only 48 pages into this thread :colbert:

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
WE ARE THOUSANDS OF PAGES INTO THIS THREAD

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lt. Cock posted:

This past week has been the most I've been aware of twitter culture in quite some time.

edit: where is sulfur btw? I can't make gunpowder without it and I've never seen it.

Tons at the volcano (westward). You can find rocks of it in dungeons too. It's yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lt. Cock posted:

The tower on the left side of the map, the volcano area has a fast travel point just to the south that is practically on top of several huge sulfur nodes.