Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah that Atari ST version looks just like the Amiga version, which is the one I played.

Amiga versions of old RPGs were often the definitive versions back then as they weren’t as often straight ports and often integrated mouse support. An example I can think of was Temple of Apshai Trilogy, which included the “paragraphs” (room/treasure descriptions) bundled into the game itself.

Overall though it seems like when it comes to old non-DOS games getting rereleased it’s either Apple II or Amiga. The only exception I can think of is the iiGS version of BT1/2 that got bundled with the mid-2000s Bard’s Tale game. Dunno why, maybe the emulation isn’t there? For RPGs it’s not a huge deal as those two and DOS cover the best versions of most with a few exceptions like Mac M&M or C64 Deathlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

Coffee Jones posted:

I search for Phantasie on Youtube and I see this Atari ST version presented in glorious extra-color.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXegh8In3N0

and here's Phantasie III on Amiga, which looks even better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9AsIfhyK08

Licensing an emulator wasn't possible, maybe?

I hadn't played the originals, but I had watched Sinatar (in the first link) stream the games live using the Atari ST versions. Expecting that, I was pretty disappointed in the new collection on GOG and Steam. At the very least I was hoping they would let you select the versions of the games. But instead there's the inability to carry forward saves, the manual for the second game isn't there, and even though they said they removed the copy protection from the first game it was still included.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Taborcarn posted:

the manual for the second game isn't there

That’s because there isn’t one. Back in the day if you bought Phantasie II the manual it was packaged with was just the manual for Phantasie I. IIRC the quick start card that games back then came with had a quick blurb explaining the backstory of II but that’s it. Outside of the scenario the two games were virtually identical so there was no need for a new manual.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

Genpei Turtle posted:

That’s because there isn’t one. Back in the day if you bought Phantasie II the manual it was packaged with was just the manual for Phantasie I. IIRC the quick start card that games back then came with had a quick blurb explaining the backstory of II but that’s it. Outside of the scenario the two games were virtually identical so there was no need for a new manual.

Only reason I was expecting one was that 1 was the DOS version and 2 was Apple II, I would think there might be differences in keyboard commands/layout between the games.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Taborcarn posted:

Only reason I was expecting one was that 1 was the DOS version and 2 was Apple II, I would think there might be differences in keyboard commands/layout between the games.

There are, but for games that old, that sort of thing wasn’t in the manual anyway since games would get ported to a half dozen+ different platforms. Instead it’d be on a separate command reference card. Though it would be a little odd if GOG didn’t include that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can I play phantasie on my phone? No way I'm giving gog for that disaster port.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I played Wizardry VI on a Windows Mobile Phone, anything is possible

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Phantasie also has unique versions on JP PCs, including the Japan-exclusive Phantasie IV. On PC-88 and MSX you can import saves between each entry and doing a 1-4 run is still on my bucket list.

Also I'm not sure why but as far as I've played in Phantasie 1 the overworld screens were vertically mirrored from the western versions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are there translated versions?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
For MSX, I've seen translated versions of 1, 2, and 4 floating around and should be pretty easy to find searching for MSX databases of translated games, but I'm not sure about 3.

e: can't speak to quality directly, but there were big MSX translating scenes in the early 2010s and they tend to be decent.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 11, 2024

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Anybody had enough time with the Exult version of Ultima 6 to know whether it's worth playing that over the OG version? I know Exult is preferred for 7, and there's an Exult version of 4 that's supposed to be pretty good, but this looks like 6 just re-created in 7's engine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

Anybody had enough time with the Exult version of Ultima 6 to know whether it's worth playing that over the OG version? I know Exult is preferred for 7, and there's an Exult version of 4 that's supposed to be pretty good, but this looks like 6 just re-created in 7's engine.
... Wow that'd be weird, Ultima 6 had like, 10 world layers counting the overworld and gargoyle world, and the Ultima 7 engine supports one and has to teleport you around it if you're moving up or down levels in a dungeon or something.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zereth posted:

... Wow that'd be weird, Ultima 6 had like, 10 world layers counting the overworld and gargoyle world, and the Ultima 7 engine supports one and has to teleport you around it if you're moving up or down levels in a dungeon or something.

That's just my impression based on the installation. It's slotted as mod for Ultima 7 Black Gate, with no other .exe or patch program, so that's my best guess without firing it up. I would imagine it'd lose a little something with combat as well because the combat systems are significantly different. I'll probably just play OG instead. I just wanted to see if anyone had given it enough time to form an opinion.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Never played U6 through Exult but the original has an annoyingly small fov so I would use Exult if it fixed that alone.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Joe Chill posted:

Never played U6 through Exult but the original has an annoyingly small fov so I would use Exult if it fixed that alone.

Look into Nuvie! https://github.com/nuvie/nuvie

It's a pretty great updated engine for the game. There's a bunch of fixes, including this. Mine looks like this:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Play the FM Towns version of Ultima 6. It's in English as well as Japanese and has voice overs in both languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdsZIlA4TI

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

If any of you enjoyed Crime Fighter for hours like I did you might be interested in the game it inspired me to make along with Uplink and Hypnospace Outlaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEm4VgX6YiY

Apr 7, 2003

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Play the FM Towns version of Ultima 6. It's in English as well as Japanese and has voice overs in both languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdsZIlA4TI

Missing the most important part of the U6 experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7jX1r8-22c&t=438s

Apr 7, 2003

I love this song from the Ultima cannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7JwH2lKExM

And always got a kick out of this crazy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8gm-H-ri_0

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Bronze Fonz posted:

If any of you enjoyed Crime Fighter for hours like I did you might be interested in the game it inspired me to make along with Uplink and Hypnospace Outlaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEm4VgX6YiY

This looks cool, any store pages up yet?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Welp, looks like I can't finish Darklands, lmao. I'm playing the Steam version, and it keeps crashing on the Fifth Seal dialogue. I can't save in that entire room; if I do, it loads into a black screen that I can't move in. I tried just cheating in the item you get, but that doesn't trip the quest flag, so I still can't enter the Seventh Seal door. I've looked online and it just seems like the Steam version is a bit unstable overall compared to GOG. Huge bummer to get all the way to the end and have this happen. I tried restoring from an earlier save and I get the same result every time: it crashes as soon as you would enter dialogue with the NPC at the end of that room.

Kinda sucks. I would really like this game in a more modern engine, like what's been done for the older Ultima games. The game itself is really, really cool and has some interesting ideas. Really bums me out to encounter a bug like this at the very end.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Welp, looks like I can't finish Darklands, lmao. I'm playing the Steam version, and it keeps crashing on the Fifth Seal dialogue. I can't save in that entire room; if I do, it loads into a black screen that I can't move in. I tried just cheating in the item you get, but that doesn't trip the quest flag, so I still can't enter the Seventh Seal door. I've looked online and it just seems like the Steam version is a bit unstable overall compared to GOG. Huge bummer to get all the way to the end and have this happen. I tried restoring from an earlier save and I get the same result every time: it crashes as soon as you would enter dialogue with the NPC at the end of that room.

Kinda sucks. I would really like this game in a more modern engine, like what's been done for the older Ultima games. The game itself is really, really cool and has some interesting ideas. Really bums me out to encounter a bug like this at the very end.

Weird, it's a DOS game--I can't imagine what Steam did to it to mess it up. But yeah GOG versions of things in my experience just tend to be better--I've got a number of games on both platforms and I stick with the GOG version when I can. You could always try picking up the GOG version and porting the save to see if you have any better success. There are also a number of save editors out there--I can't remember off the top of my head but you might be able to find one where you can trip the flag manually.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is obviously not related to anything other than you mentioning save game editors but my god, when I went through my box of old 5.25" floppies for the first time in decades I found a good half-dozen "character editors" from Gosselin Computer Consultants; those things were like $30 each, how did I convince my parents to buy me so many

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Darklands is a pretty buggy game, unfortunately.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If only my map wasnt so stained.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Twobirds posted:

Darklands is a pretty buggy game, unfortunately.

I felt lucky that I hadn't ran into anything dire for most of the game, then all that bug debt came to collect at the worst time. I'll probably do the above suggestion and try the GoG version.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I think the stains add some character to the map to be honest.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GreenNight posted:

WTF are you talking about, this is setting-appropriate weathering.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Darklands is in my GOG library but I've never played it. It looks very cool, but I'd have no idea where to start and so on. Is there a good Let's Play or tutorial on getting the basics down?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

chaosapiant posted:

Darklands is in my GOG library but I've never played it. It looks very cool, but I'd have no idea where to start and so on. Is there a good Let's Play or tutorial on getting the basics down?

Here's the advice that Genpei Turtle gave me:

* Read the first half of the clue book; it's more like a more in-depth manual and goes into really deep detail on all the systems of the game like character creation, combat mechanics, what amenities are available in what towns, etc. The second half covers quests which you can skip if you don't want to get spoiled.

* When creating characters, prioritize Strength and Endurance as that's what keeps you alive. You don't want below 30 in either. Other stats you don't want below 20 or so. You'll want one character with 30+ Charisma as the "face" of your party, another with 35+ Intelligence to be an alchemist, and maybe a character with 25-30 Perception. Agility is great to have but it's kind of a dump stat.

* It's best to spend skill points during character creation on skills that are harder to train in-game. There are some exceptions (e.g. Healing/Artifice) but as a rule of thumb, the further down a skill is on the skill list, the harder it is to train.

* Skill-wise you want one religious character, one healer, one artificer, one "face" (high Charisma/speech skils) and one alchemist. They should all be able to fight, though stat-wise you might have to dump your End/Str a little bit for your Alchemist since they need lots of Int (and ideally, Chr)

* You want only one character with Healing, as only the character with the highest skill level counts.

* The sweet spot for character age is 30-35 to start adventuring. You take some very minor stat penalties for starting at 35 but not overwhelming. You do not take stat penalties for aging once you're out adventuring.

* This is a game where you need to keep notes. There's no quest log so every time you take a quest, take note of who gave you the quest where and what you need to do.

* Similarly, what saints/alchemy recipes/ingredients are available in which towns is randomized each game; take notes as to where they are. It's no fun searching the entire world for one of the two towns that sells Manganes when you need to mix some Sunburst potions.

* As mentioned, the best thing to do early in the game is to run around the back alleys at night and beat up thugs. You'll build weapon skills very quickly this way. Try to run/avoid guards since you're violating the curfew.

* Another good thing to do early in the game is sit around and do odd jobs for money. Raising cash is very difficult at the start of the game and you have plenty of time.

* Stick to your starting town for a while until you have better skills, weapons and armor. You might not be ready to leave for several months but that's OK.

* Once you're sufficiently tough that bandits are no problem, you might want to think about taking on Raubritter quests from merchant houses. When a Raubritter is terrorizing an area you can usually get the quest to kill him from multiple people in multiple towns nearby. To maximize your profit, don't kill him until you've gotten several people willing to pay you for it.

* The #1 way to make money is mixing and selling potions, but you'll need to get fairly established before you can start trying that.

* There is an overarching main quest but it's not immediately obvious how to start it. Keep an ear out for rumors about witches' covens and gatherings of Satanists. Don't attempt the quest until you're really ready though. Same thing applies if you hear about any dragons.

Also, here's the fansite with a bunch of good info: http://www.darklands.net/files/files.shtml. Finally, there's a couple wikis out there with info about Saints, Equipment, etc. Keep the Quick Reference card handy.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Also fellow goon Hieronymous Alloy created a great guide on steam:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2906166440

Pierzak posted:

WTF are you talking about, this is setting-appropriate weathering.

Yeah, an old movie magic trick to making a paper document look ancient is by spilling tea or coffee on it. It fits perfectly.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 9, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*exhaling sadly after holding my breath for hours hoping someone else would say it first *

He wanked his soggy penis on his Dark lands map Boys.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

rope kid also posted about it in this thread in... 2012? OMG, that's an old bookmark.

rope kid posted:

*~ Darklands Starting Tips 'n Trickz ~*

Darklands Fan Site - http://www.darklands.net/

I won't focus on metagamey stuff like making 80 year-old alchemists for their sweet potion stashes and then ditching them at the Gasthaus in the first 5 minutes. I'll just focus on a "good" party and normal game flow.

Party Composition

Your party should probably consist of people between 30 and 40 years old (maybe 35-45 if you want to push certain skills). This produces a good range of skills without suffering excessive END and STR degradation. You will likely want two folks who are heavier fighters, then someone with a high Virtue(!!!)/Heal(!!!)/Religion ("cleric") and someone else with a high Alchemy/Speak Latin/Speak Common. If you want to make a thiefy- or rangery-type character, you can stack up one of your front-line dudes on Woodwise, Streetwise, Artifice, and related skills, but it isn't vital.

:siren: Virtue and Heal are skills that are relatively hard to raise and very important. Heal, specifically, only increases benefit in coarsely granular chunks. If your dudes only regain 1 STR a day, your Heal sucks and the game will be very hard. Get your Heal high enough to heal 2 STR a day, if not 3 (though that may only be possible with a 45 year-old character). :siren:

Stats

STR and END are important for EVERYONE. They are obviously most important for front line fighters, but practically speaking, everyone winds up in melee, so don't skimp on the STR/END for a gimmick mystic of affective piety build. STR and END should also be fairly close to each other. With armor on, END will typically get chewed up much more quickly than STR, but if max STR is significantly lower than END, guys will die instead of being knocked out (this is bad).

Equipment

Use gear that your characters are best at using! Check your weapon skills and equip accordingly. Early on, javelins can be a good thing for (especially) alchemist characters to use. It will raise your Throwing skill, which will become important on that distant day when you have more than two potion bottles rattling around in your pouches. Darklands has a learn-by-doing system that slows naturally with skill gain, so even characters who are horribly incompetent quickly become "okay" with a weapon if they stick with it. Early on, everyone/things' armor is terrible, so you can practically use whatever weapon you're skilled with that does good damage. You will eventually want characters who are good with hammers or polearms to deal with heavily armored enemies (e.g. Raubritters, Templars, Gargoyles). Dress everyone in the heaviest armor you can afford. gently caress traditional class roles. Alchemists in Nürnberg plate ASAP.

Doin' Thangs

What do you do in Darklands? Well, it's an open world, but extraordinarily punishing to the unwary. Here's the basics: First you get the thieves, then you get the Rep, then you get the missions. Stay in your opening town for a while. Every night, go to the "Gabled roofs of the crafts district". Keep going in and out of this area until you encounter thieves. Beat the hell out of them over and over and over again. As long as you don't do dumb poo poo like try to break into businesses or skulk around the cathedrals, you shouldn't encounter the city watch (breaking curfew is bad). During the day, go back to the inn. Have your characters Regain Strength (this is why the Heal skill is very important) and have anyone who is not injured Earn Money. Every once in a while, sleep in the wooded area inside the city for a night or two to avoid having your rep drop by staying at the inn excessively long.

Sweet Medici Cash

When you have slaughtered enough thieves, your local Reputation will start creeping into the teens. This is good. Since you are unloading a shitload of gear from this endless army of thieves, you will be visiting merchants all the time. Whenever you go to the Markt, visit every merchant, even if you don't need to. Fuggers, Medici -- everyone. Eventually, when you leave a merchant's shop, you will get a business proposition. Accept it, whatever the hell it is. Remember to write poo poo down. This game was made in 1992, for Christ's sake. These missions vary, but usually involve one of the following things: getting a Tarnhelm, getting an old book, or killing a Raubritter (robber knight). Sometimes, these missions will send you way, way, way across the Holy Roman Empire. Even if you can't do them immediately, keep them in a list to do later. Of the three, Raubritters are the most likely to be proximal to your current city. They are also, by far, the most immediately dangerous to undertake. When you get your first Raubritter mission, do not go on it immediately. You may try the others if the destination is not hundreds of miles away.

Raubritter Scams

So, when do you pursue your first Raubritter? Well, here's a good strategy. Once a city's merchants have told you to pursue a Raubritter, they will give you a location. Don't go there, but go to other cities near the Raubritter's castle. Do the same thief-killing, Rep-building activities in these cities that you did in your first city. Eventually, you will gain bounties on the same Raubritter from up to three cities. As these bounties can often be many Florins, this is extremely lucrative. By the time your characters are universally rolling with 25q+ gear, scale armor, two upgrades of weapons, and at least four Essence of Grace potions, you can probably safely pursue a Raubritter. I won't tell you how to defeat a Raubritter, as there are many ways, and it is enjoyable to figure them all out. When you defeat one, you will get some nice armor and weapons (usually), and can go back to all of your clients to collect sweet, sweet Florins.

Killing a Raubritter is a gateway to killing more Raubritter, which is also a gateway to exploring more of the world and completing those obnoxious early "get a Tarnhelm" quests that directed you from Ulm to Hamburg.

Where's the Story, Bru?

When you decide that you want to follow "the story" in Darklands, there are a lot of places to begin. It all starts with visiting tiny villages. Do this until you find one that is full of Satanists. Defeat them and they will say something like, "We will have our revenge <direction> of <city_name> on <next_solstice_equinox_day>." Write this poo poo down this game was made in 1992. Did you already forget?! Go to that place at that time. There is no leeway, so don't think you can show up a day late and still check it out. If you do, you will have to repeat the earlier steps. When you get there at the right time, you will see a witches' sabbath. These own bones. "Deal with" them and you will be pointed toward the next steps (or receive a dream that does -- I can't remember. Just keep following the leads and you will go on a grand adventure.

Other Things to Remember

Your party leader always speaks for you, so set your high Speak Common or Speak Latin character as the party leader before chatting with people when that stuff matters (e.g. cathedrals, universities). Get as many saints as possible for your high Virtue character. These are super important, especially as the game goes on. If you have a second character with moderately high Virtue, there are plenty of low-Virtue saints you can call on. Just check the required Virtue before learning their mysteries. Virtue can be raised during the game, but very slowly compared to other skills. Write down where you find various alchemical ingredients or just use an online guide. Alchemy is really important in the long game. If you don't put effort into tracking down the ingredients, it's just a headache.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Shoot, I missed Darklands chat.

To add to everything else, Darklands isn't that hard to get into no matter how you build your party or what you do. Since it's pretty sandboxy and there's no time limit there's ample room for experimentation and even the most poorly-built parties can do well, you'll just fail a lot more skill checks. And there are some skill checks that even the best-built parties will usually fail. (e.g. the random "friendly joust" event requires a Riding skill no sane player will ever get)

I would disagree with one bit in the previous (old) post in that Virtue is raised slowly compared to other skills. Once you get established Virtue is actually one of the easiest skills to raise. Whenever you make a big enough tithe--in the neighborhood of 2-3 florins--every character that has at least modest level of Religion (somewhere in the 20s or 30s?) gets a point of Virtue. If you have a high enough Religion you can even get 2-3 points of Virtue when tithing. Once you've got an Alchemy moneymaker going it's trivial to raise your party's Virtue as high as you want just by tithing over and over.

Also just in case anyone might find it useful, whenever I start a new Darklands run I take notes using a spreadsheet I made to keep track of stats, saints, ingredients, equipment, alchemy success rates, etc...it's for my own use and I'm not a great Excel user but in case anyone else might find it useful here's a link to it. Might be some mess in there from my past run that I didn't delete but maybe it'd be useful?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Shoot, I missed Darklands chat.

To add to everything else, Darklands isn't that hard to get into no matter how you build your party or what you do. Since it's pretty sandboxy and there's no time limit there's ample room for experimentation and even the most poorly-built parties can do well, you'll just fail a lot more skill checks. And there are some skill checks that even the best-built parties will usually fail. (e.g. the random "friendly joust" event requires a Riding skill no sane player will ever get)

I would disagree with one bit in the previous (old) post in that Virtue is raised slowly compared to other skills. Once you get established Virtue is actually one of the easiest skills to raise. Whenever you make a big enough tithe--in the neighborhood of 2-3 florins--every character that has at least modest level of Religion (somewhere in the 20s or 30s?) gets a point of Virtue. If you have a high enough Religion you can even get 2-3 points of Virtue when tithing. Once you've got an Alchemy moneymaker going it's trivial to raise your party's Virtue as high as you want just by tithing over and over.

Also just in case anyone might find it useful, whenever I start a new Darklands run I take notes using a spreadsheet I made to keep track of stats, saints, ingredients, equipment, alchemy success rates, etc...it's for my own use and I'm not a great Excel user but in case anyone else might find it useful here's a link to it. Might be some mess in there from my past run that I didn't delete but maybe it'd be useful?

One thing I noticed with tithing: you need to back out of the dialogue to get the tithe amount to refresh and reflect your current total. So if I have 30 florins and tithe 3 florins, that reduces my total. But the tithe dialogue option amount seems to stay the same, so you need to back out and go back in to refresh so you aren't "over-tithing".

That's how it was for me, at least. Expensive lesson to learn.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

One thing I noticed with tithing: you need to back out of the dialogue to get the tithe amount to refresh and reflect your current total. So if I have 30 florins and tithe 3 florins, that reduces my total. But the tithe dialogue option amount seems to stay the same, so you need to back out and go back in to refresh so you aren't "over-tithing".

That's how it was for me, at least. Expensive lesson to learn.

That actually might be useful at times since there's a floor value for a Virtue-increasing tithe. At some point your total cash will be too low to get a boost from a tithe, but if you can keep tithing at the higher level you should still be able to keep getting that boost.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm not an oldschool pc gamer but i just recently began playing the ultima underworld games and they are dangerously addictive and not nearly as janky as i'd expect for something that's this old

why aren't there more dungeon crawlers like this where you just control a single hero? or have they just been hiding

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Your Computer posted:

i'm not an oldschool pc gamer but i just recently began playing the ultima underworld games and they are dangerously addictive and not nearly as janky as i'd expect for something that's this old

why aren't there more dungeon crawlers like this where you just control a single hero? or have they just been hiding

Have you played Arx Fatalis?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Have you played Arx Fatalis?

i don't think i had even heard of it until a couple of days ago when someone else recommended it to me when i mentioned ultima underworld :v: the fact that you play a preset character and don't customize your own is a bummer to me though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Your Computer posted:

i don't think i had even heard of it until a couple of days ago when someone else recommended it to me when i mentioned ultima underworld :v: the fact that you play a preset character and don't customize your own is a bummer to me though

I dunno where you heard that because you absolutely customize your character‘s skills and stats in Arx Fatalis. There aren’t as many options as UUW, but when you take into account all the trash skills not worth taking in UUW, it’s probably about the same.