Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in any case, the main pita of ca elections is that there are usually a ton of confusing props, which isn't as much the case in primary elections

there are absolutely anti-cop candidates in local races, they just lose

or, on the offchance they win, are promptly subject to billionaire real estate interest recall campaigns, alongside rank and file cop silent strikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

in any case, the main pita of ca elections is that there are usually a ton of confusing props, which isn't as much the case in primary elections

there are absolutely anti-cop candidates in local races, they just lose

or, on the offchance they win, are promptly subject to billionaire real estate interest recall campaigns, alongside rank and file cop silent strikes

Gascon ran on reform. Now there are bits on the news of masked sweatpants hoodlums running into a Ross and just walking out with bags of merch. Your neighbor laments how they walked to their car and some homeless was just shooting up meth cocaine in front of a crying cop who could only politely suggest they go to a local Drug Exchange to do so safely.

So now people will be swinging wildly to criminalize everything because we took a baby-step towards something but hosed up and forgot to include literally any social safety nets or supports to ensure it would be successful.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Who was the other one? Chesa Boudin as San Francisco DA? He got hit hard iirc for trying to do justice reform.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012

big black turnout posted:

Hello fellow Florida transplant :wave:

Hell yeah! Someone else who moved ~3000 miles from their home.

I miss pub subs

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

BeAuMaN posted:

Who was the other one? Chesa Boudin as San Francisco DA? He got hit hard iirc for trying to do justice reform.

yeah

the new alameda county DA and, to a lesser degree, the oakland mayor are currently going through similar nonsense

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

PseudoFaux posted:

Hell yeah! Someone else who moved ~3000 miles from their home.

I miss pub subs

Con: no pub sub
Pro: never seen publicly displayed Nazi tattoos in a Safeway unlike Publix

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

yeah

the new alameda county DA and, to a lesser degree, the oakland mayor are currently going through similar nonsense

And speaking of Safeway, there was a table setup outside mine that was I guess collecting recall signatures because it had a handwritten "Recall Pamela Price" sign taped to it, but nobody was there so I didn't get a chance to laugh in their face

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PseudoFaux posted:

Having moved from florida and now voting in california, I'm noticing your elections are a different flavor of political hell than the poo poo we had back home. But y'all still have the same problem of "most/all of your candidates are cozy with the cops"

Why is it so difficult to say no to cops?

They have guns, room temperature IQ, an extreme sense of entitlement, consider themselves above the law, and are known for harassing and even assassinating people? LAPD was (and probably still is) one of the most brutal police forces in the world and the sheriff department is rife with deputy gangs. Why is it so difficult to say no to armed thugs?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

rkd_ posted:

Franchisors being civilly liable for whatever franchisees are doing sounds wild to me.

why? manipulating the profit motive is the only tool government has for changing the behavior of corporations and business owners. the franchisor profits from the franchisee's fuckery, make em bear the costs of enforcement

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Well my ballot is in. Finding any info on some of these people running at the city/county level was overly difficult or impossible. It seems like the only people without any shame to stop them from running are small business shitheads, cops, cop lovers, and lately techbros.

Voted yes on 1, though I'm still unsure about it. Silicon Valley DSA didn't bother putting out a voter guide so I used the South Bay Labor Council's

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bald Stalin posted:

I didn't think it was possible but the quality at subway about to go even higher!

Subway is already selling pretzel bread as a standalone

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I'm glad to see the guy who wrote the crazy unhinged rant in his candidate statement for senator is in dead last place. He's currently on track to win like 10,000 votes though, which you really have to wonder who these voters are.

Seems too early to call the Senate race (14% reporting right now), but so far it looks like Schiff and Garvey will go to the general, with Porter and Lee both trailing pretty far back. No big surprise there.

edit: actually AP has newer numbers than the SOS page, and is calling Schiff one of the two winners

drk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 6, 2024

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

drk posted:

I'm glad to see the guy who wrote the crazy unhinged rant in his candidate statement for senator is in dead last place. He's currently on track to win like 10,000 votes though, which you really have to wonder who these voters are.

Seems too early to call the Senate race (14% reporting right now), but so far it looks like Schiff and Garvey will go to the general, with Porter and Lee both trailing pretty far back. No big surprise there.

edit: actually AP has newer numbers than the SOS page, and is calling Schiff one of the two winners

I don't understand who all these people are that want Schiff. I haven't met any of them, but I guess I'm just in a bubble. Like I knew he was gonna win by a lot, but I don't really understand it.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

CompeAnansi posted:

I don't understand who all these people are that want Schiff. I haven't met any of them, but I guess I'm just in a bubble. Like I knew he was gonna win by a lot, but I don't really understand it.

I think Schiff being a leading "resistance" figure during the Trump Administration gave him a huge boost. I'm sure many of his fans are boomers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Steve Garvey, really?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I mean, 6 million Californians voted for Trump in 2020. California may have a solid Democratic majority, but there are still a poo poo load of Republicans.

So, no real surprise that a Republican clinched second place, especially when there were three prominent Democrats splitting the Democrat vote

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

he was endorsed by pelosi, so the same establishment centrist people that like her

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What would it take to get rid of the jungle primary? Would it need a constitutional amendment, or could the legislature do it?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What would it take to get rid of the jungle primary? Would it need a constitutional amendment, or could the legislature do it?
IIRC it was imposed via ballot proposition (and, as such, is essentially a part of the state constitution), so it would need to be removed via ballot proposition (placed on the ballot by either by the leg, or by a signature campaign)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Bodhidharma posted:

I think Schiff being a leading "resistance" figure during the Trump Administration gave him a huge boost. I'm sure many of his fans are boomers.

Schiff voter here. His poise, persuasiveness, and intelligence during the impeachment trails won me over. I think he has the charisma and character to be a good leader for the party. His positions on the issues are quite reasonable.

I guess I'm a stupid boomer with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and... I like to kiss my own butt.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It needed to be stopped before it happened. Florida almost went jungle primary but it got stopped because most conservatives realized "What happens if we stopped winning, some how?" They'd never get on the ballot ever again.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

aventari posted:

Schiff voter here. His poise, persuasiveness, and intelligence during the impeachment trails won me over. I think he has the charisma and character to be a good leader for the party. His positions on the issues are quite reasonable.

I guess I'm a stupid boomer with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and... I like to kiss my own butt.

Schiff's horrendous record on criminal justice issues, support for the war in Iraq, and his refusal to call for a ceasefire in Gaza as Israel is starving hundreds of thousands of Palestinian children demonstrates that he did not have the best decision-making out of the major candidates that were in the race. But hey, at least he put on a good show against the orange cheeto man.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You're listing things OP likes and agrees with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

aventari posted:

“His positions on the issues are quite reasonable.” I would say his stance on Israel is not reasonable in any way.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know why folks are blaming the jungle primary here - a traditional primary system would've resulted in the same two candidates.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
IRV could have spared us entirely

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

CPColin posted:

IRV could have spared us entirely
What if we had like, a death race, down I-5. We could get some prime entertainment and some cool explosions while all these politicians fight for their chance to be on the ballot. And so many fans getting in brawls over whether it's called I-5 or The Five.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
The I-5, actually.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

DaveWoo posted:

I don't know why folks are blaming the jungle primary here - a traditional primary system would've resulted in the same two candidates.

yeah. at least with this style slot two doesn't always have to be a hail mary no-win republican

it can potentially be a hail-mary no-win leftist!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the pch

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MickeyFinn posted:

The I-5, actually.

:frogout:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i5 doesnt even have a cutesy country-highway name like this, or even a pre-IHS freeway name like the Santa Monica Freeway cause it was just farmland before they plowed a couple straight lines through it

but building hsr is haaaaaard and how are we gonna paaaaaaaay for it

drk
Jan 16, 2005

spoken like someone who has never been farther north than SLO

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

theyre both poo poo op

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

drk posted:

There is no reason to.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

drk posted:

no one calls it the pch

drk
Jan 16, 2005
norcal/socal jokes aside, that central california region between monterey and santa barbara is one of my favorite parts of the state

they also have our currently only nuclear reactor which is cool and good

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

drk posted:

they also have our currently only nuclear reactor which

Revenue generating or... how would you qualify that statement

Edit: nm they decommissioned the vallecitos reactor in November

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 7, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the central coast is good as long as you don't extend it to include ventura county

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

drilldo squirt posted:

There is no reason to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no one calls it the pch