Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

always room for a cataclysm: dipshit free fork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Cigarettes improve focus in the game therefore you should smoke in real life.

I always take nicotine fiend and near sighted.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Alpha is always the smart move. Plus stats? Yes please.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Alpha is always the smart move. Plus stats? Yes please.

It's easily the worst mutation line imo, except maybe Elf-A. The stat buffs can't compare to what you get out of any of the other lines that have them and you get very little else.

The exception would be if you started with all low stats. The Prime mutations aren't a flat increase, they just move your stat closer to 18 relative to how low it was to begin with, which is pretty significant if everything was 6 to begin with. But you get like +14 strength from going crab on top of a ton of other benefits, and crab armor is way better than the crappy bionic stuff, not to mention that you barely need to eat any food and that food can be zombies. Players have a lot of anxiety about losing access to bionics, but in many cases what you're losing is vastly inferior to what you're gaining, or can easily be worked around.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 8, 2024

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
edit: didn't mean to keep the drug poo poo going, sorry

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 9, 2024

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Weed is the come down for literally every other drug including booze hangover.

Citation: me right now

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
edit: Sorry, didn't see the mod note from earlier

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 9, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The reason drugs work that way us that "stimulants" and "depressants" were written as a hardcoded effect over a decade ago and every drug has some amount of either, which is where most of their effects come from. These hardcoded effects were bad when they were written, but are now ten years behind development. It's not intended, nobody working on the game thinks that's how drugs work irl or how they should work in Cataclysm.

Kevin did not steal anything. Whales decided to retire the project and published it under the open source license which it uses to this day. Whales has occasionally posted that he is amazed by the creativity of the community and how big the game has gotten. Whales's last published build is still freely available to anyone who wants to try to get it to compile on a modern OS.

I disagree about the last part but that's a matter of opinion. Most if the scifi stuff has gotten more accessible, not less, and the survival stuff is the cool part. If you just want to press tab, DCSS will always be the superior game.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

worm girl posted:

The reason drugs work that way us that "stimulants" and "depressants" were written as a hardcoded effect over a decade ago and every drug has some amount of either, which is where most of their effects come from. These hardcoded effects were bad when they were written, but are now ten years behind development. It's not intended, nobody working on the game thinks that's how drugs work irl or how they should work in Cataclysm.

Kevin did not steal anything. Whales decided to retire the project and published it under the open source license which it uses to this day. Whales has occasionally posted that he is amazed by the creativity of the community and how big the game has gotten. Whales's last published build is still freely available to anyone who wants to try to get it to compile on a modern OS.

I disagree about the last part but that's a matter of opinion. Most if the scifi stuff has gotten more accessible, not less, and the survival stuff is the cool part. If you just want to press tab, DCSS will always be the superior game.

Mutations might as well not be in the game anymore for 90% of the playerbase, and most scifi enemies and items have been entirely removed without replacements. It's not even that this stuff is less accessible, it's not in the game at all anymore.

I might appreciate Rubik more if they hadn't removed or nerfed nearly every worthwhile CBM, making cyberware mostly a replacement for bad items with a couple of gems that are roughly on par with pre threshold alpha mutations

Additionally most of the time anything new that's fun comes along it gets nuked from orbit within six months. Cocaine basement? Might as well be out of the game. Wanna collect body pillows? Literally a one in a million spawn rate. Change boomers? Not on my watch!

Edit: look at this PR:
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/66243

It's the dumbest series of logical leaps I've ever seen in my life and it successfully got committed

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 8, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

worm girl posted:

The exception would be if you started with all low stats. The Prime mutations aren't a flat increase, they just move your stat closer to 18 relative to how low it was to begin with, which is pretty significant if everything was 6 to begin with. But you get like +14 strength from going crab on top of a ton of other benefits, and crab armor is way better than the crappy bionic stuff, not to mention that you barely need to eat any food and that food can be zombies. Players have a lot of anxiety about losing access to bionics, but in many cases what you're losing is vastly inferior to what you're gaining, or can easily be worked around.

Crab's a decent idea, actually. I'm not sure it'll work with my current character specifically, though. A little background: my current character has been alive since the middle of December 2023. He is probably my fifth or sixth character ever since I started playing. When I made him, I was thinking, "oh, this guy probably won't make it to Summer year 1, but let's go out there and learn some stuff and if he dies, oh well." Except, well, he did. And kept going, and going. It's Spring 45, Year 2 now. When I made him, I wasn't envisioning a situation where mutagen would be even remotely possible to make, so I basically went all-in on bionics. Crucially, I picked up Expanded Digestion, which can't be removed and completely kills all of the diet/food related mutations. My alloy platings conflict with probably a full half of the mutations in the game, but those can be removed so I'm not too worried.

The other thing is electricity immunity. Rubik hasn't given me Dielectric Capacitance once in the roughly 45 weeks I've visited him. I'm relying on faraday chainmail right now. This works great for my character, but if a body mutation makes me unable to wear it, I'm pretty screwed now that it's year 2 and every fifth enemy is a lightning boy. This is why I was considering Alpha, since it's low effect but a solid boost for my character. I could also just not mutate.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Cocaine basement? Might as well be out of the game.

I've found a cocaine basement on my map. Was in the first hunting lodge I explored. This single data point is obviously indicative of a trend, and furthermore,

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Yeah they're still in but phenomenally rare fwiw

Haven't seen one personally in a very very very long time

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Mutagen is not really any less common than before, in fact a couple of weeks ago they turned the spawns way up. The system for actually mutating is just obnoxious now. I think they believe it's fine because players are simply avoiding interacting with it and not giving feedback.

CBMs have not been significantly nerfed, except for the completely broken sword and claws. A few pieces got removed for being silly, like the internal furnace, but not many.

They did remove most of the robots which sucks. The robots made no sense in the story, but they were all really fun enemies.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 8, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, wow, that giant pincer is a permanent +30 encumbrance to the right hand. I wonder if I can wield a 1-handed weapon with my left hand...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please tell me this character also has Rigid Table Manners

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

please tell me this character also has Rigid Table Manners

you know it

This map has Stats Through Kills, so I have been dumping points into Strength at basically every opportunity. He also has the sniffles right now :smith:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, wow, that giant pincer is a permanent +30 encumbrance to the right hand. I wonder if I can wield a 1-handed weapon with my left hand...

The effect of that isn't particularly bad compared to tge +14 strength and massive hp buffs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

worm girl posted:

The effect of that isn't particularly bad compared to tge +14 strength and massive hp buffs.

I really need to do me a crab man run, seems fun

E:

Where's the extra strength come from, you get 7 from being super strong and 4 from huge, is there something I'm missing?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 9, 2024

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Additionally most of the time anything new that's fun comes along it gets nuked from orbit within six months. Cocaine basement? Might as well be out of the game. Wanna collect body pillows? Literally a one in a million spawn rate. Change boomers? Not on my watch!

Huh. The TTRPG I'm running, I had them find the cocaine basement just because I wanted to see what they'd do with the cocaine (they're using it for anesthetic). I had no idea it had been mostly removed.

Also, the robots made sense in the original 'near future world was heading towards cyberpunk' concept with its Foodplaces and Foodstuff, which is why I set the TT game in 2039 and kept them in. My concept for them is that they were mostly used by remote operators, and that the 'full self driving' on them works about as well as a Tesla, which is to say it's very unsafe for something with a minigun, but with the apocalypse happening most that are on are in that mode, unfortunately for the protagonists.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
I'll never understand the real world timeline decision

worm girl posted:

Mutagen is not really any less common than before, in fact a couple of weeks ago they turned the spawns way up. The system for actually mutating is just obnoxious now. I think they believe it's fine because players are simply avoiding interacting with it and not giving feedback.

An item that players won't interact with might as well do nothing at all

The good changes to mutation were very welcome but they came with a very complicated tack-on resource management system that is simultaneously opaque, confusing, and counter-intuitive to how almost every other mechanic in the game works. It's less of a feature and more of an easter egg.

quote:

CBMs have not been significantly nerfed, except for the completely broken sword and claws. A few pieces got removed for being silly, like the internal furnace, but not many.

Off the top of my head, removed CBMs:
-Power Armor CBM
-Trickle Chargers
-Internal Furnace
-Railgun
-Shock Absorber
-Microreactors
-Biostorage
-Solar Panel

There's also CBMs like the integrated multitool that were re-tuned from "Finally, you don't need to carry tools anymore" to "This is literally just a multitool + you don't have to carry a welder if you have the cable charger CBM and are standing within one tile of a large storage battery", many of the remaining CBMs are effectively just replacements for items that weigh less than a couple of kilograms, or are incredibly rare to the point where they are unlikely to ever be seen. This problem has been exacerbated by many CBM spawns being removed from their original locations, as the best CBMs are very very difficult to locate and may never be seen on a playthrough.

None of these CBMs were "silly" if we are introducing Rubik and company to the game; Rocky Butte and the exodite faction is so utterly ridiculous that it completely deflates any attempt to make the game have a serious narrative the second it spawns in.

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 9, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

-Trickle Chargers

These are still in, I have a ton of them. They are pretty uncommon to spawn in Rubik's list, though.

e:

Honestly, looking at your list most of the things you're mourning are power generation. In my experience, you just don't need that much power generation. I actually removed my Gasoline Cell CBM because I never used it and it was a permanent 5 torso encumbrance. Most of my power needs are met by Metabolic Interchange and Joint Torsion, with Battery Compartment and oil/ethanol kicking in very rarely. My tactic has been just to install every single power storage CBM that I can get my hands on (autoclave pouches permitting) and using massive amounts of stored power to tank whatever I need to deal with. Generally, when you're in a situation where you're burning tons of power, it's usually not a great idea to stick around for too terribly long anyways.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 9, 2024

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

These are still in, I have a ton of them. They are pretty uncommon to spawn in Rubik's list, though.

They were removed from experimental in January unfortunately. In the PR to remove them, devs indicated they intend to remove more CBMs going forward. (Without specifying which ones)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

It's funny you mention DCSS, WG, because I remember a similar kind of thing happening there, too. At least one goon made a whole new God and system for them and was all fired up for how much progress they were making, and then their thing just died the dead of a thousand nerfs

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yeah, "dev team has at least one rear end in a top hat in it who's bringing the game down and randomly blocking meaningful contributions" isn't unique to cdda, unfortunately. I haven't played Crawl in ages because of that poo poo.

I've only been playing cdda since November and the game as released then is plenty fun to me, but I'm definitely approaching it as more of a weird survival/crafter sandbox than anything.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

They were removed from experimental in January unfortunately. In the PR to remove them, devs indicated they intend to remove more CBMs going forward. (Without specifying which ones)

That PR was reverted.

Oh, no, it was closed, not merged. Sorry.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 9, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

TrashMammal posted:

always room for a cataclysm: dipshit free fork

Spite is never a good reason to do anything, which is why at least two of these have come and (basically) gone.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, "dev team has at least one rear end in a top hat in it who's bringing the game down and randomly blocking meaningful contributions" isn't unique to cdda, unfortunately. I haven't played Crawl in ages because of that poo poo.

I've only been playing cdda since November and the game as released then is plenty fun to me, but I'm definitely approaching it as more of a weird survival/crafter sandbox than anything.

I think it's why most of my roguelike time nowadays goes into either Qud or Dwarf Fortress, because both teams feel like they're all pulling in the same direction, and aren't outright jerks to the players at times.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
edit: This was a little stupid and argumentative, not trying to bring that vibe to the thread!

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 9, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My thoughts on CDDA's direction have tended towards
"I don't like <change>, I thought it was better the way it was."
"Then why not just play a previous version?"
"That's... a good idea actually. I'll do that."

Nobody's taking away the old versions of the game with the stuff I liked in it, in fact it's set up to be easy to get them.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
A little off topic from recent discussion, but is there a way to pick up only smaller containers from within larger ones, like getting the food pouches from a whole MRE? I've been manually emptying them because I get a little obsessive about food storage. It would be great to just run over a dead soldier zombie and vacuum up only the packages I want.

Unrelated, but playing as a dumb, clumsy, alcoholic with max strength rocking a Lucerne hammer and wearing full plate rules. What are bionics? How does mutate? What make gun go? Dunno, hit bad thing hard and hope the armor holds when a juggernaut launches you across the screen and through a car.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I went through a tear in reality and now I am "beset by a vision of a prowling beast"

How hosed am i?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Testekill posted:

I went through a tear in reality and now I am "beset by a vision of a prowling beast"

How hosed am i?

Very!

You are being stalked across spacetime by the hounds of Tindalos. Eventually, they will find you, which will spawn one hound plus one for every corner - as in, a space where the walls make an L - within (iirc) 15 tiles of you. Each Hound can summon one copy of itself that will die when the original does, but they're impossible to tell apart. They're almost entirely immune to cut, stab, and bullets and they hit pretty hard. They're slow, but they can teleport to catch up to you.

The best thing to do is get outside ASAP and find a vehicle. When they appear, use the vehicle to escape. If you get far enough away, they'll lose you. Note that they can sometimes teleport into your vehicle.

Their only weakness are bash and fire damage. Good luck!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AmishSpecialForces posted:

A little off topic from recent discussion, but is there a way to pick up only smaller containers from within larger ones, like getting the food pouches from a whole MRE? I've been manually emptying them because I get a little obsessive about food storage. It would be great to just run over a dead soldier zombie and vacuum up only the packages I want.

Not sure if this is exactly what you were describing, but the (unbound by default) Unload Container command might come close:

It prompts you for a direction, then opens the second dialog, allowing you to unload any items in the nearby 9 squares into that direction. Say, into a shopping cart. If you expand nested categories, you can get at items that are nested deeply in multiple pockets. This is a great command for looting bathrooms, as it lets you unload all the pills from the pill bottles at once. Or, if you're a monster like me, certain hygiene products (so you don't have to deal with all the fiddly individual plastic bags.)

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

in the actions menu [Enter] then [3] inventory, [1] unload container to find the unload container command without binding the key.

I have taken to fighting the monsters in a building, then using [Y] to set up an Unsorted [a] [L] loot zone over the area, then adding a default [a] [k] drop spot and running [Enter] [2] interact, then run zone command sort my loot to have my survivor gather up everything in a pile so i can sort it myself all at once vs checking each drawer and cabinet. You can also set up an auto unload items zone over the pile to automatically dump things out of your small pill bottles and molle packs. you can also use the unload container command on corpses to strip em. if you are within 60 tiles, they will move across z levels. Closed doors block auto sort pathing, so open doors between you and your drop spot. big structures like labs, you might have to auto loot by section, once its safe. You will want to check closets and stuff yourself, because of hidden safes behind dressers and stuff, but it speeds things up, player time wise.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
So um...

...any idea why they can't just call this thing a box of tampons?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

It's literally the same item as the washing soda below it. the issue is the tampons being inside their own little baggies not letting you see the contents. after seeing the same small cardboard box>other i know its tampons/pads/menstrual cup and ignore em. im sure some jackoff will add in like.. individual pill sleeves and you will see cardboard box>other>single dose antihistamine or something to make my pattern recognition goblin hoarding mess up, but for now, unless you need period supplies for tear down, you can ignore it. You should ditch containers when possible, btw. that box is a bit bigger than a 2L bottle. but might hold something much smaller you could jam into more open space between your pockets and bags. The tampons in the box, with their plastic bag wrappers are .06L in bulk. the box could hold between 40-50 if it was packed absolutely full. its a hard container, so it stays bulky. plastic bags add .01 bulk to things, so are much less of a concern being a flexible container that can hold i think.. .25L total. but dont really do anything as far as i know.

Is there a way to disassemble in bulk? I found zone orders for breaking things down from this pile, but only 1 thing at a time.

My day 1 is going... Well. found a nice working car!

and a trenching tractor!

and a mass grave of dinosaurs that will get up tomorrow.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 10, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

winterwerefox posted:

Is there a way to disassemble in bulk? I found zone orders for breaking things down from this pile, but only 1 thing at a time.

Drop all the items onto one square and hit Shift-B, same as you use for butchering stuff.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

nice! thankies.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

worm girl posted:

Very!

You are being stalked across spacetime by the hounds of Tindalos. Eventually, they will find you, which will spawn one hound plus one for every corner - as in, a space where the walls make an L - within (iirc) 15 tiles of you. Each Hound can summon one copy of itself that will die when the original does, but they're impossible to tell apart. They're almost entirely immune to cut, stab, and bullets and they hit pretty hard. They're slow, but they can teleport to catch up to you.

The best thing to do is get outside ASAP and find a vehicle. When they appear, use the vehicle to escape. If you get far enough away, they'll lose you. Note that they can sometimes teleport into your vehicle.

Their only weakness are bash and fire damage. Good luck!

The good thing is that I was getting those messages in a field and haven't gotten them for a couple of in game days now. I did some skill training at the refugee center nearby and there was some commotion for a while but I think it might have been the corpse of the spy getting up.

Speaking of which I am incredibly annoyed that the Refugee Center ended up being just on the other side of the field from the farm that I settled at, I didn't even know because I couldn't figure out anything from the computer in the shelter. I ended up finding it by accident because I went on a long drive and then it turns out that the field that I had hesitated to explore because of the Mi-Go structure opened up in the east and it was a straight shot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
RE: Disassembly, you can also press ( to bring up the disassembly menu, which will let you mass disassemble without having to drop poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the fun way is to drop everything in a stack with explosives