Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

No

Rhymes With Clue posted:

It's a not-curious-enough thing so it looks scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Johnny Keats posted:

Wrong it can be forced

hey man don't get me wrong, i appreciate that some people such as yourself are willing to make poo poo up or claim unnecessarily or whatever to give things that initial push

but i gotta be me

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

anyway

Dans Macabre posted:

I was all about turboing in the last game (which I LOST) so therefore this time I'm taking it nice and breezy

why did dans feel it was necessary to respond to this post with an excuse when he wasn't even one of the people going 'well uh i could maybe vote afqm' on that page

i could also vote dans although opop is good

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sharkmafia posted:

anyway

why did dans feel it was necessary to respond to this post with an excuse when he wasn't even one of the people going 'well uh i could maybe vote afqm' on that page

i could also vote dans although opop is good

Because I did say I could vote yuming and didnt actually

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Scumpster

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I’m inclined to agree on cube, this is very coast-y day 1 behavior. I still think grandi has made the scummiest day 1 post I’ve ever seen so I would really like to vote there.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

This is town Cube, I am almost never certain this early so I'm quite confident in my read. You'll have to take my word for it as I have rarely been wrong about Cube

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Johnny Keats posted:

This is town Cube, I am almost never certain this early so I'm quite confident in my read. You'll have to take my word for it as I have rarely been wrong about Cube

You are almost never certain this early so you're confident? But you're rarely wrong about Cube? this sounds like a contradiction. At what point do you become certain about Cube?

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I had voted Wins on a whim, but he is barely participating *and* being overlooked by the majority of active players. Bad combination

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

fool of sound posted:

I’m inclined to agree on cube, this is very coast-y day 1 behavior. I still think grandi has made the scummiest day 1 post I’ve ever seen so I would really like to vote there.

I'm honored...

Which one?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Johnny Keats posted:

WTf is that supposed to mean? I ask not expecting an answer other than "we have fun here"

It means that if Yuming dies tonight, then that's a pretty clear indication that either I'm scum or scum are trying to frame me.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Rhymes With Clue posted:

You are almost never certain this early so you're confident? But you're rarely wrong about Cube? this sounds like a contradiction. At what point do you become certain about Cube?

Maybe it is because Cube is posting especially coherent this day 1. Normally he is intentionally obfuscatory. I narcissistically believe this was a response to my relentlessly accurate day 1 reads on him. This time I'm observing he cares less for the obfuscation (town sign). Also I agree with everything he said about how he uses his vote. Cube also knows what's up with regard to strategically lying to scum in the thread. You have taken some things at face value that when I read into the motivations it gives townie

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

CubicalSucrose posted:

It means that if Yuming dies tonight, then that's a pretty clear indication that either I'm scum or scum are trying to frame me.

Oh I thought that was an example of what I could say, not you saying it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CubicalSucrose posted:

What an odd thing to say

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

vote opop, opop is scum

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I could see it, the vote has been mentioned all day but not getting traction or prolonged discussion.

##Vote Opop to make things interesting

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

thank you, keats

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Opopanax posted:

What an odd thing to say

Not really. Keats was suggesting "Players, when town, should play scummier" presumably because they think that getting people's play styles more comparable across alignments would be more interesting.

Another approach, which I floated, was "Players, when scum, should play townier" which should have a similar effect. My default playstyle, when town, naturally reads scummy (Maer is similar but for different reasons). So instead of shifting my already-scummy town playstyle, it would be arguably better for me to shift my scummy scum-playstyle to be more towny (but still somewhat scummy, because that's naturally how I come across).

As scum, I have basically zero plausible deniability. I have and would do quite a bit, and when people suggest "scumCube wouldn't X," I'm (regardless of alignment) usually one of the first to correct them.

Having zero plausible deniability as scum means that I can freely say how I think I would act as scum (regardless of my actual alignment). And I think that's a more interesting way to play. It also makes it easier (citation needed) when I am scum because I don't have to think too much about keeping track of lies since I try to keep those to a minimum.

Contrast with shifting ones playstyle as town to be more lie-heavy, and it's going to be a lot harder. I'd actually thought about doing this with my "3p doc" gimmickclaim but that kinda fell apart immediately due to an unlucky roll and also would've been more null than anything.

I guess what I'm saying is that Keats' suggestion seems like a pretty big ask for many players not named Toalpaz.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

CubicalSucrose posted:

We'll find out after N1 resolves.

Johnny Keats posted:

WTf is that supposed to mean? I ask not expecting an answer other than "we have fun here"

CubicalSucrose posted:

Absolutely wild that Cube goes from those posts above to .... whatever the hell this is, below. An at once inscrutable and vicious affront to the basic premises of rationality that undergird the known universe. Unfortunately, this is Cube and therefore this tells us nothing about his alignment. Vote Opop

CubicalSucrose posted:

Not really. Keats was suggesting "Players, when town, should play scummier" presumably because they think that getting people's play styles more comparable across alignments would be more interesting.

Another approach, which I floated, was "Players, when scum, should play townier" which should have a similar effect. My default playstyle, when town, naturally reads scummy (Maer is similar but for different reasons). So instead of shifting my already-scummy town playstyle, it would be arguably better for me to shift my scummy scum-playstyle to be more towny (but still somewhat scummy, because that's naturally how I come across).

As scum, I have basically zero plausible deniability. I have and would do quite a bit, and when people suggest "scumCube wouldn't X," I'm (regardless of alignment) usually one of the first to correct them.

Having zero plausible deniability as scum means that I can freely say how I think I would act as scum (regardless of my actual alignment). And I think that's a more interesting way to play. It also makes it easier (citation needed) when I am scum because I don't have to think too much about keeping track of lies since I try to keep those to a minimum.

Contrast with shifting ones playstyle as town to be more lie-heavy, and it's going to be a lot harder. I'd actually thought about doing this with my "3p doc" gimmickclaim but that kinda fell apart immediately due to an unlucky roll and also would've been more null than anything.

I guess what I'm saying is that Keats' suggestion seems like a pretty big ask for many players not named Toalpaz.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Cube and Keats are like evil gods of chaos that stand in full defiance of all humanistic norms, dueling one another at a celestial remove from the rest of our mundane affairs. Their actions may have significance for us, but as with all things semi-divine, are best treated as part of the realm of metaphysics, entirely unamenable to empirical modes of inquiry built on humanistic reason

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Reading Maer I actually agree with her RWC case and like her posts in general, don't wanna vote for her.

Opop, I can see the case if I squint, and would prefer vote for him.

would of course do the needful etc

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah can we just hunt scum

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mafia edit: I like maer's posts meaning I think they are towny; I don't actually like anybody's posts in the general sense.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I wanna kill wins

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Some real lazy rear end votes piling up on me as we slouch towards deadline, c'est la vie

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Dans Macabre posted:

Reading Maer I actually agree with her RWC case and like her posts in general, don't wanna vote for her.

Opop, I can see the case if I squint, and would prefer vote for him.

would of course do the needful etc

Well who you gonna believe, Maer with her b.s. case on me, or me?

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Tired Moritz posted:

I wanna kill wins

why

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i don't want to see rhymes or maer eliminated today, the vibes are too good

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I wanna kill wins

Let's do it.

##vote wins

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Cube the difference is that I said *deft* use of dishonesty. But anyway it's boring if everybody plays the same way, so I'm not preaching to all play like I do. But certainly an appreciation for the ability to deceive scum in thread couldn't hurt anyone.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Johnny Keats posted:

Maybe it is because Cube is posting especially coherent this day 1. Normally he is intentionally obfuscatory. I narcissistically believe this was a response to my relentlessly accurate day 1 reads on him. This time I'm observing he cares less for the obfuscation (town sign). Also I agree with everything he said about how he uses his vote. Cube also knows what's up with regard to strategically lying to scum in the thread. You have taken some things at face value that when I read into the motivations it gives townie

Weird pocket attempt.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Johnny Keats posted:

Cube the difference is that I said *deft* use of dishonesty. But anyway it's boring if everybody plays the same way, so I'm not preaching to all play like I do. But certainly an appreciation for the ability to deceive scum in thread couldn't hurt anyone.

For a while, fakeclaiming Miller seemed to be pretty popular. I don't know that it was very effective. Theoretically it should have helped narrow down the town investigative power role targets (at least that's what Zoya had made a case for, if I'm remembering correctly). Would be interested in your thoughts on how that went broadly.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

My thoughts on that are I just noticed I'm a miller this game.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I'm not really interested in voting Opop right now but it's hard to understand why. Maybe this is how people feel about (not) voting Sand D1. Hmm.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

I wanna vibe check

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Johnny Keats posted:

If I had a dayvig I'd be narrowing down the surface area for investigative targets right now.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Johnny Keats posted:

Is this serious

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

is 'keats are you for real' just a fixture of every single game with keats in it, or what

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Dans Macabre posted:

I don't actually like anybody's posts in the general sense.

Rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Dans Macabre posted:

Is this serious

NO LOL