Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Adun posted:

Apparently he’s going back to Bama which is hilarious

Hope the Iowa collective didn’t pay up front

They did and they’re livid

https://twitter.com/honchocommamike/status/1770218858445468092?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

https://twitter.com/hawkfromnorwalk/status/1770221933092561125?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This rules

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Who could’ve foreseen the Wild West being so wild

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

I also hope he feels good about that.

Also lol at the guy saying "stick to the NFL", where athletes famously play for the love of the game and are fiercely loyal to their team and fans.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I want a random mid major super fan to win the lotto and proceed to pay their team more than any P5.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Lol "donating" to an NIL collective

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I want a random mid major super fan to win the lotto and proceed to pay their team more than any P5.

My Lottery Dream Home Team

Or funnier,

My Lottery Dream NIL Recruit

David:

You have $45,000. ]Which one will you choose?

The $25,000 3-star offensive line recruit from Ohio? He's not a guaranteed starter but should see a lot of playing time, especially if another guard gets injured?

The $60,000 5-star wide receiver from Alabama? Great talent. Speedy, NFL projected. Well over your budget.

The $750 no-star recruit from Montana? He played 8-man football as a 240-pound running back who runs a 5.3 40. Might flunk out after a year, but well within your price range.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
oh no, he'll never be able to show his face in iowa again

anyway,

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

holy poo poo that's wild lol

I mean yeah that kinda rules because gently caress those guys or whatever but thats some cold rear end poo poo to do with a bunch of people's money. If it's anything like the South Carolina NIL collective, that's a lot of small dollar donors that funnel money into that thing just to feel like they're helping out.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

https://twitter.com/HeavensFX/statu...2F%3Fpage%3D371

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lol:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is very funny but I have utterly no idea who that is. In that whatshisface what kept snapping the ball all stupid?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Jeremor posted:

that's a lot of small dollar donors that funnel money into that thing just to feel like they're helping out.

Probably a lesson to learn in here

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Adun posted:

Think UNC is stuck unless they take NC State with them.

The next time one of these actually holds true will be the first time.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/DJACKV_/status/1770210306733601189

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

DC Murderverse posted:

They did and they’re livid

Sometimes, the world makes sense

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jeremor posted:

holy poo poo that's wild lol

I mean yeah that kinda rules because gently caress those guys or whatever but thats some cold rear end poo poo to do with a bunch of people's money. If it's anything like the South Carolina NIL collective, that's a lot of small dollar donors that funnel money into that thing just to feel like they're helping out.

And just like with the payments bringing things out into the light, imagine how many times guys like this were fuming after signing day the last couple decades. I’m glad we get to see this kind of vitriol for public consumption now, it’s hilarious.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I thought with NIL guys still signed contracts or whatever, they just aren't public. Like, if a local business gives you cash to do ads for them, surely you are signing a contract?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mike_V posted:

I thought with NIL guys still signed contracts or whatever, they just aren't public. Like, if a local business gives you cash to do ads for them, surely you are signing a contract?

I think that probably happens sometimes, but not all the time.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Yeah I think that it's getting more common to sign a contract with collectives. It's also a way to build in incentives for staying and what not. But if that's not what happened here and he just got a sack of cash to transfer, then lol. Sounds like a problem with Iowa's collective being idiots who don't know how to structure a deal with players.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mike_V posted:

NIL rules are governed by state law and NCAA rules. Not all states have NIL laws but NCAA rules and pretty much all state laws prohibit pay to play, meaning NIL contracts have to be an exchange of money for some kind of services, and not just money for being on a football team. So a contractual agreement for some service is necessary to remain compliant, you can’t just give a guy a bag of cash for being on your team.

The NCAA’s NIL rules (which are probably not enforceable) also prohibit agreements that are contingent on initial or continued enrollment at a specific institution. This has been interpreted to mean that NIL deals that terminate on transfer will run afoul of NCAA rules which is how you end up with boosters paying a guy to go to Alabama, then Iowa, then back to Alabama.

Ironically the court cases knocking down the NCAAs ability to enforce their NIL rules will probably make things worse for athletes since it will open the door to deals that are contingent on continued enrollment.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Warbird posted:

This is very funny but I have utterly no idea who that is. In that whatshisface what kept snapping the ball all stupid?

No, this is the 5* kid who started at left tackle as a freshman last year

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

my conclusion remains that I'd take FSU more seriously here if they didn't make Jackson Muschamp look like Lamar Jackson; I get being dominated by UGA's starters but those dudes were loooooong gone. Also: just turn down the bid next time

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Bad snap guy transferred to Ohio State, after the rose bowl I’m concerned he’s a Michigan double agent.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Seaniqua posted:

I broke the news to my wife yesterday that we’re gonna have to buy a PS5 and she was not pleased about that price tag

Edit: AND tomorrow is my birthday so I’m not sure what the issue is

I burned myself badly with my wife buying one, but hey there are deals now it was time to get in before NCAA releases!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

The next time one of these actually holds true will be the first time.

It is literally the reason the Big 12 ever existed in its original form?

This almost got me for a second, the future is weird and terrifying

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 20, 2024

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

fast cars loose anus posted:

It is literally the reason the Big 12 ever existed in its original form?

I'm fairly certain they just invited the most prominent programs that didn't receive the death penalty. If Smu didn't get caught they would of joined up over ttu. Arkansas already left a few years earlier being the only program outside of Texas.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'm fairly certain they just invited the most prominent programs that didn't receive the death penalty. If Smu didn't get caught they would of joined up over ttu. Arkansas already left a few years earlier being the only program outside of Texas.

Ann Richards was the governor and is the reason Baylor is in the Big 12. They were are total non-entity that should've been left behind.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
The VA governor at the time was the reason VT got an ACC invite in 04 over Cuse.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

Ann Richards was the governor and is the reason Baylor is in the Big 12. They were are total non-entity that should've been left behind.

The invite was up in the air. ESPN said we only want 4 from the SWC and effectively left it in the hands of the newly forming conference to decide who the 4 were.

TTU was in. They had legislative support in the form of the speaker of the house, the chair of the house appropriations committee, and the chair of the senate finance committee, but they didn't need it. They were always going to be in the Big XII once ESPN said 4 SWC schools.

Baylor, now Baylor was a political thing. Houston likely would have been in line as a public university, but UH was politically weak at the time. Baylor had more political power and enough benefits over TCU that they got the nod.

Great article: https://www.si.com/college/2016/08/16/big-12-expansion-oral-history-big-8-swc-merger

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

I can 1000% assure you Baylor was in no way a more prominent program than TCU or Houston

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Yeah to be honest I completely forgot about Baylor being in the swc. Even with their inclusion it's not like the formation of the big 12 depended on it. I'd still put my money on smu getting in over Baylor If they didn't get the death penalty.

Either way there isn't a single legislature that will prevent a team from moving conferences without the little brother.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39773257/acc-countersues-clemson-grant-rights-withdrawal-penalty-seeks-monetary-damages

Lmao

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Either way there isn't a single legislature that will prevent a team from moving conferences without the little brother.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania General Assembly.

Penn State, Pitt, and Temple all hate each other enough that they'd torpedo one of the two little brothers just to screw the other little brother. Lincoln just sits there because everyone forgot they exist.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rather than decide on a "permanent" conference schedule as had been planned for after this coming season, the SEC is making 2025 another ad hoc schedule without a set plan in place.

tl;dr: 8 games, same schedule as 2024 but opposite venues. Gonna do whatever I can to go to Knoxville in '25.

Dunno if one should read too much into this:

quote:

“We continue to monitor changes across college sports as they relate to future scheduling,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. “Continuing with our current format for the 2025 season provides additional time to understand the impact of the changes happening around us as we determine the appropriate long-term plan for SEC football scheduling.”

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Judgy Fucker posted:

Rather than decide on a "permanent" conference schedule as had been planned for after this coming season, the SEC is making 2025 another ad hoc schedule without a set plan in place.

tl;dr: 8 games, same schedule as 2024 but opposite venues. Gonna do whatever I can to go to Knoxville in '25.

Oh cool so Florida always gonna be #1 in SoS.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Judgy Fucker posted:

Probably seeing if they need to go to 9 games or not, potentially if FSU/Clemson get out of the grant of rights and the ACC gets the copper ripped out of its walls.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Oh cool so Florida always gonna be #1 in SoS.

Florida really pissed off the SEC somehow. Left punitive scheduling.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

Oh it totally got me, I was wondering why the fired coach would be giving a presser before seeing the tiny superscript at the start of the tweet. Plus it is 100% what ferentz would say lol

E oh huh Brian and Kirk aren't the same person, who knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

Florida really pissed off the SEC somehow. Left punitive scheduling.

Another decade before you've worked off that catch Jabar Gaffney didn't make