Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Louisgod posted:

lol I don't know why this made me laugh so much

As a therapist once said: “Let the past die.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Finished Part 3 of Oathbringer
I would just note that Radiance is explicitly not genetic, regardless of how much it definitely seems to love to cluster around the Kholins, and Gavilar is dead. Did you mean "was" there, was it a guess at what he was trying to do before he got Szeth'd?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

I would just note that Radiance is explicitly not genetic, regardless of how much it definitely seems to love to cluster around the Kholins, and Gavilar is dead. Did you mean "was" there, was it a guess at what he was trying to do before he got Szeth'd?

(General Cosmere and SA lore specific spoilers) The Nahel bond between spen and humans (and now sometimes Listeners!) almost always involves a person with some degree of trauma and emotional damage. In Cosmere terms: the person's spirit web, the manifestation of who they are in the realms, has a hole or crack in it that the spren can attach to and help fill. While a bond can form without such a crack it's apparently much harder and extremely unlikely.

Which has wonderful implications for the Kholin family given how many of them are Radiant. And also how best boy Adolin isn't, but might be forming a reverse-Nahel bond with Mayalaran!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DarkHorse posted:

(General Cosmere and SA lore specific spoilers) The Nahel bond between spen and humans (and now sometimes Listeners!) almost always involves a person with some degree of trauma and emotional damage. In Cosmere terms: the person's spirit web, the manifestation of who they are in the realms, has a hole or crack in it that the spren can attach to and help fill. While a bond can form without such a crack it's apparently much harder and extremely unlikely.

Which has wonderful implications for the Kholin family given how many of them are Radiant. And also how best boy Adolin isn't, but might be forming a reverse-Nahel bond with Mayalaran!

Hey, I never thought about this, but you make a great point. Adolin might be the one forming a reverse-Nahel bond with the traumatized Mayalaran, repairing the part of her spirit web that's damaged. Genius, DarkHorse!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Torrannor posted:

Hey, I never thought about this, but you make a great point. Adolin might be the one forming a reverse-Nahel bond with the traumatized Mayalaran, repairing the part of her spirit web that's damaged. Genius, DarkHorse!

Future StormlightCan’t wait for Maya to pull Adolin into the Cognitive Realm to smack things with in book 5.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ojjeorago posted:

Future StormlightCan’t wait for Maya to pull Adolin into the Cognitive Realm to smack things with in book 5.

Adolin: “I am a stick?”

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Did we get a title on SP5, by the way?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

CapnAndy posted:

Did we get a title on SP5, by the way?

He's still deciding between
Isles of Emberdark and Emberdark

based on the sample chapters, "Emberdark" is the name for Shadesmar that is far between cognitive centers, or planets, in the Cosmere

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Oathbringer - Part 92

It would be so badass for Szeth to become Judgement manifest and kill King Taravangian.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

based on the sample chapters, "Emberdark" is the name for Shadesmar that is far between cognitive centers, or planets, in the Cosmere

Secret Project 5

That's the impression I got, but this map seems to indicate otherwise? https://coppermind.net/w/images/Sea_of_Lost_Lights.jpg

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Secret Project 5

That's the impression I got, but this map seems to indicate otherwise? https://coppermind.net/w/images/Sea_of_Lost_Lights.jpg

That's still a map of Roshar.

Look at this instead:

So you can see the Sea of Lost Sights corresponds to Eastern Roshar.

I think common speculation is that the Expanse of the Vapors leads to Scadrial, and I can't remember whether fandom came to any conclusion about the other directions.

So Emberdark could still be the term for the void between planets in the Cosmere.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Torrannor posted:

Look at this instead:

I think common speculation is that the Expanse of the Vapors leads to Scadrial, and I can't remember whether fandom came to any conclusion about the other directions.

So Emberdark could still be the term for the void between planets in the Cosmere.

Secret Project 5

I'm pointing out that there is a location marked "Emberdark" right in the middle of that map. This seems at odds with how Starling and her crew used the word.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Secret Project 5

I'm pointing out that there is a location marked "Emberdark" right in the middle of that map. This seems at odds with how Starling and her crew used the word.

Oh, I didn't see that. Could be one name for two places, but that strikes me as a bit unlikely. So you may be correct.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Adolin: “I am a stick?”

WoR spolier

Maya: You could be a sword
Adolin: Son of a Shard, I'm in

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Maybe it'll grow on me, but first impression is that's sort of a really dumb name that immediately made me think of this.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Torrannor posted:

Look at this instead:

General future Cosmere: Vapors is Scadrial, Density is Sel, the Expanse of Vibrance hidden behind that Shadesmar label is Nalthis. The only unconfirmed expanse is Broken Sky, but the popular fan theory for that is Threnody.

The chapters from Secret Project 5 were cool, but I still feel like it cheapens the Secret Project label a bit to throw it on something we knew he was writing and have already had readings from before.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Additional thoughts on Secret Project 5 preview chapters

I'll need to check the text for the original reading of the Sixth of Dusk chapter that he did at a RoW release tour stop because I think he added some additional details but.... the Rosharan (who is DEFINITELY a Skybreaker but could be a Singer or maybe a human and humans have since learned to speak the true tones of Roshar at this point in the future, but the 7 foot tall thing doesn't help narrow it down since Kaladin is nearly 7 feet tall) says things like "fight alongside us, if you wish, to gain status and elevation." and "Choose...Cooperation, slavery, or death.” which seems to point to the theory that by this point Honor and Odium, possibly Cultivation, have merged to form something like Conquest: Perpetual war and expansion, or at least are working together for the same effect. The Rosharan seems to take it as a matter of fact that this war is a part of life and the important things are status and moving up. I would be that if something like that happens it happens at the end of Book 5 and the fallout is explored in the back 5 books.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I'll need to check the text for the original reading of the Sixth of Dusk chapter that he did at a RoW release tour stop because I think he added some additional details but.... the Rosharan (who is DEFINITELY a Skybreaker but could be a Singer or maybe a human and humans have since learned to speak the true tones of Roshar at this point in the future, but the 7 foot tall thing doesn't help narrow it down since Kaladin is nearly 7 feet tall) says things like "fight alongside us, if you wish, to gain status and elevation." and "Choose...Cooperation, slavery, or death.” which seems to point to the theory that by this point Honor and Odium, possibly Cultivation, have merged to form something like Conquest: Perpetual war and expansion, or at least are working together for the same effect. The Rosharan seems to take it as a matter of fact that this war is a part of life and the important things are status and moving up. I would be that if something like that happens it happens at the end of Book 5 and the fallout is explored in the back 5 books.

i mostly agree with this, but i think it's possible that it could be individual civilizations' interpretations of the shards' intents (for each planet) rather than the shard itself being fundamentally changed/combined/etc. otoh it would be fun to have old-fashioned knights radiant fighting a guerilla war against the new Conquest Warlight dudes

similarly i suspect scadrial will be divided. the Ones Above here are all about masks and are probably south scadrian and i think we know that the upcoming "cold war" type mistborn novels are between the north and south. it'd be thematically appropriate if which side of the Harmony/Discord coin you support reflected a geopolitical divide as well

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 22, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That was always there. My very first reaction to the preview chapter, way before now, was "that's Fused talk".

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

i mostly agree with this, but i think it's possible that it could be individual civilizations' interpretations of the shards' intents (for each planet) rather than the shard itself being fundamentally changed/combined/etc. otoh it would be fun to have old-fashioned knights radiant fighting a guerilla war against the new Conquest Warlight dudes

similarly i suspect scadrial will be divided. the Ones Above here are all about masks and are probably south scadrian and i think we know that the upcoming "cold war" type mistborn novels are between the north and south. it'd be thematically appropriate if which side of the Harmony/Discord coin you support reflected a geopolitical divide as well

Major Cosmere spoilers We've already seen a bit of this with the differences between Ghostbloods on Scadrial under Kelsier's supervision vs. Ghostbloods' behavior on Roshar

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

eke out posted:

Wow I didn't even think to connect the dots of the Scadrians preferring to stay masked to the Southern Scadrians, that's a good point. I wonder if we'll see that take over as a societal norm in Era 3

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I have finished Oathbringer.

Final Thoughts:
  • Dalinar Kholin went from only being able to relive visions and bond stones back together to COLLIDING ALL THREE REALMS AND RENEWING STORMLIGHT! The Bondsmith class is OP Asf. plz nerf
  • Speaking of that, that entire scene was epic. What a goddamn Oath.
  • I will have to wait until Rhythm of War to find out if Kaladin will swear the fourth Ideal.
  • Shallan and Adolin finally got married. It took them long enough.
  • Teft the Radiant.
  • Gavinor, Skar, Drehy, and Shallan's castaways live. That's cool.
  • How the hell do the Ghostbloods know about Sja-Anat? They have to have Grade-S tier spies.
  • So Renarin can see the future. This should be a godsend. Hopefully, he can see Taravangian actively plotting with Odium.
  • Speaking of King Taravangian, he needs to die. By the hands of Dalinar, Szeth, Jasnah, someone, please kill this old hag.
  • Jasnah, Queen of Alethkar. Not that it matters since Kholinar is being held by the Voidbringers but it's something, I guess.
  • I guess Wit saved the spren that would've bonded with Elhokar at the end? So, that does make Wit a Lightweaver???

I'm not going to go straight into Rhythm of War. My current TBR is:

All of Mistborn > Mistborn: Secret Histories > Dawnshard > Warbreaker > then finally RoW.

I want to take a detour since I've heard so many raving things about Mistborn and some bombshell easter eggs in RoW. I would have dismissed it if I hadn't read all that fun stuff.

This ending didn't leave me as excited as when I finished Words of Radiance, but I was more intrigued, if that's the right word. I am still determining where the story goes from here. With new radiants and new powers, Odium still lurks. Moash is now Vyre and wields an honorblade. . It's setting up for something, but I'm not sure what exactly. Oh well. I will find out in about a month when I finish my TBR.

E: Added one more point.

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 23, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

This ending didn't leave me as excited as when I finished Words of Radiance, but I was more intrigued, if that's the right word. I am still determining where the story goes from here. With new radiants and new powers, Odium still lurks. Moash is now Vyre and wields an honorblade. . It's setting up for something, but I'm not sure what exactly. Oh well. I will find out in about a month when I finish my TBR.

I get what you're saying. After TWoK and WoR, you have a pretty clear idea what's going to happen next, and are excited for it. Oathbringer feels like a little final, and it's much less clear what will follow in Rhythm of War.

I think you will really enjoy Mistborn. Just be sure to read Secret History before The Lost Metal, but after The Bands of Mourning!

Fake edit: I cannot stress enough that you should read Secret History at it's proper place in the publication order. It will spoil stuff in Bands of Mourning, but The Lost Metal will make much less sense without having read Secret History. Plus TLM will spoil important parts of Secret History, of course. SH really is 3.5 of Wax and Wayne. It's imho much more integral to the series than for example Edgedancer is for Stormlight Archive.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 23, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Torrannor posted:

I get what you're saying. After TWoK and WoR, you have a pretty clear idea what's going to happen next, and are excited for it. Oathbringer feels like a little final, and it's much less clear what will follow in Rhythm of War.

I think you will really enjoy Mistborn. Just be sure to read Secret History before The Lost Metal, but after The Bands of Mourning!

Fake edit: I cannot stress enough that you should read Secret History at it's proper place in the publication order. It will spoil stuff in Bands of Mourning, but The Lost Metal will make much less sense without having read Secret History. Plus TLM will spoil important parts of Secret History, of course. SH really is 3.5 of Wax and Wayne. It's imho much more integral to the series than for example Edgedancer is for Stormlight Archive.

I added a note in my notes. I have my books in order on my Kindle. I'm going to power-hour the rest of March and all of April to finish the books so I get RoW for all of the Summer. I will not be spoiled!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

As I lay in bed thinking about what I just read, finishing up Oathbringer: If the Alethi race was naturally calling upon The Thrill(An Unmade Spren), what other races have natural supernatural powers? Obviously Horneaters can see Spren, but is that it?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mordiceius posted:

"Well, buddy, the answer is -"

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Final Thoughts:
  • Dalinar Kholin went from only being able to relive visions and bond stones back together to COLLIDING ALL THREE REALMS AND RENEWING STORMLIGHT! The Bondsmith class is OP Asf. plz nerf
  • Speaking of that, that entire scene was epic. What a goddamn Oath.
  • I will have to wait until Rhythm of War to find out if Kaladin will swear the fourth Ideal.
  • Shallan and Adolin finally got married. It took them long enough.
  • Teft the Radiant.
  • Gavinor, Skar, Drehy, and Shallan's castaways live. That's cool.
  • How the hell do the Ghostbloods know about Sja-Anat? They have to have Grade-S tier spies.
  • So Renarin can see the future. This should be a godsend. Hopefully, he can see Taravangian actively plotting with Odium.
  • Speaking of King Taravangian, he needs to die. By the hands of Dalinar, Szeth, Jasnah, someone, please kill this old hag.
  • Jasnah, Queen of Alethkar. Not that it matters since Kholinar is being held by the Voidbringers but it's something, I guess.
  • I guess Wit saved the spren that would've bonded with Elhokar at the end? So, that does make Wit a Lightweaver???

I'm not going to go straight into Rhythm of War. My current TBR is:

All of Mistborn > Mistborn: Secret Histories > Dawnshard > Warbreaker > then finally RoW.

I want to take a detour since I've heard so many raving things about Mistborn and some bombshell easter eggs in RoW. I would have dismissed it if I hadn't read all that fun stuff.

E: Added one more point.

I'm so excited for you to RAFO based off your comments. It's a treat to see someone's eyes opening up more and more especially with plot line predictions.

I finally got off my duff and finished my re-read of RoW and started down the next books in the cosmere to catchup on all the short stories plus the end of age 2 of mistborn. The last wax+wayne book so far hasn't just grabbed me yet to power through it all night like most cosmere books do.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Finished Chapter 3 of Final Empire. I’m loving it so far. It’s the typical trope of ”I’m putting together a crew. The mission is dangerous. But we got people. You in?” Also Kelsier is a badass. Don’t know much about him yet, but I know he’s very cool.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Kelsier is an all time great character to me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Putting Kelsier in fortnite got my ancient rear end to play it.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
I've found Sanderson to be at his best when he's splicing a little other genre stuff into the mix. The heist movie vibe in Final Empire and the prison movie vibe for Bridge Four in WoK are my favorites.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Prison break Shawshank Redemption style in Emperor's Soul

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

81sidewinder posted:

I've found Sanderson to be at his best when he's splicing a little other genre stuff into the mix. The heist movie vibe in Final Empire and the prison movie vibe for Bridge Four in WoK are my favorites.

I underlined the important part for me - his core style is great, but it feels like sometimes he goes a little to far into the genre bit and looses something. I'm thinking about it the fairy tale narrative style in Tress and a bit of the 'get it, it's a pulp western' in Wax & Wayne.

Final Empire (Sneaker Broker feel free to read this) I loved the moment when it dawned on me that this was going to be a heist. I love Oceans 11, our DnD group always wants to pull a heist, it's just so much fun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DarkHorse posted:

Prison break Kung Fu Hustle style in Emperor's Soul

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

road potato posted:

Final Empire (Sneaker Broker feel free to read this) I loved the moment when it dawned on me that this was going to be a heist. I love Oceans 11, our DnD group always wants to pull a heist, it's just so much fun.

Yeah, the moment I realized what I was looking at, I was like, "Alright. I can get down with this."

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Finished Part Two of Final Empire

How will we beat the Lord Ruler if no one can beat a Steel Inquisitor? Vin is busted up, and Kelsier can't do anything. Also, the book confirmed my suspicions that Sazed has powers. "Metalmind"

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Finished Part Two of Final Empire

How will we beat the Lord Ruler if no one can beat a Steel Inquisitor? Vin is busted up, and Kelsier can't do anything. Also, the book confirmed my suspicions that Sazed has powers. "Metalmind"

Inject it into my veins, this is the content I crave.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Final Empire was my first Sanderson, and I'm still not over how cool Steel Inquisitors were. (Minor spoilers by implication) Especially before it was explained how they got their powers. I dig the whole Sanderson thing of magic having rules, but they did lose their awesome mystique of just being unkillable badasses with spikes through their eyes and creepy smiles

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 28, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

About 2% through Chapter 18 of Final Empire and I have to say

I’m picturing Elend Venture as a more annoying Robert Downey Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A Sneaker Broker posted:

About 2% through Chapter 18 of Final Empire and I have to say

I’m picturing Elend Venture as a more annoying Robert Downey Jr.

Realizing we never get a scene of someone snorting metals instead of swallowing them.