Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Will it be possible to hack 3DS once the servers are down? My friend’s kid wants me to hack his 3DS and I don’t know if I’ll have time to do it while the servers are still up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yes, you don't need an internet connection at all to hack a 3DS and the methods that use the web browser have nothing to do with Nintendo's servers.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

C-Euro posted:

What cart reader do you have, and does it do more than DS carts? Interested in dumping my physical Nintendo handheld collection (at least the stuff older than a 3DS) and just having the Ur-Handheld for everything I own.

I’m using Godmode on my hacked N3DSXL. My only regret is that I didn’t do this sooner. Still learning my way around modding, but this is really cool.

I have an old DSLite, too. Can I mod that so that I can dump my GBA games?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Will it be possible to hack 3DS once the servers are down? My friend’s kid wants me to hack his 3DS and I don’t know if I’ll have time to do it while the servers are still up.

It’s really straightforward and has nothing to do with Nintendo. Hell, if a fifty something year old man can figure out how to mod his 3DS, I’m pretty sure you’ll have zero difficulty.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

tango alpha delta posted:

I’m using Godmode on my hacked N3DSXL. My only regret is that I didn’t do this sooner. Still learning my way around modding, but this is really cool.

I have an old DSLite, too. Can I mod that so that I can dump my GBA games?
There's homebrew software for DS flashcarts that can dump a GBA cart off a DS Lite.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Tried to softmod my 3DS, but it hung up every time after reinserting the hacked SD card. :smith: The troubleshooting page said it could be a problem with the Mii Maker data, so I might try again with a blank formatted SD card and try to put my saved stuff and downloads back on it later.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Small Strange Bird posted:

Tried to softmod my 3DS, but it hung up every time after reinserting the hacked SD card. :smith: The troubleshooting page said it could be a problem with the Mii Maker data, so I might try again with a blank formatted SD card and try to put my saved stuff and downloads back on it later.

This is what I ended up needing to do, but it did fix whatever issue I was having when first installing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

C-Euro posted:

This is what I ended up needing to do, but it did fix whatever issue I was having when first installing.
It worked! :toot: Now to find some good 3DS games that aren't RPGs, because I don't have the time to do anything that isn't pick-up-and-play any more.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

some good 3DS games that aren't RPGs

:confused:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

What's this insane picross snub? :colbert:

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

I installed the CTGP-7 mod for Mario Kart 7 the other day and it's awesome. Adds so much content to the game and while some of the user created maps are stupid as you'd expect, a lot of them are quite good. Every now and then my wife and I will play local multiplayer MK7 and we've had a lot of fun with this so far

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

It worked! :toot: Now to find some good 3DS games that aren't RPGs, because I don't have the time to do anything that isn't pick-up-and-play any more.

POCKET

CARD

JOCKEY

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Play Pushmo, Stetchmo, Crashmo, and Picross 3D 2

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

lol, I bought Picross 3D on cartridge years ago, but I’m playing it for the very first time time on my N3DSXL today.

It’s really good. I’m not entirely sure why I’ve never played a Picross game before.

E: Just dumped my Hotel Dusk cart. Gonna play that later.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 27, 2024

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

It’s really straightforward and has nothing to do with Nintendo. Hell, if a fifty something year old man can figure out how to mod his 3DS, I’m pretty sure you’ll have zero difficulty.

Ah yeah. I've hacked a few 3DS systems in my time, it's just been a while. Couldn't remember how much if it needed to touch the internet. I'll probably leave his firmware as is then.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

For anyone who has a CFW 3DS (everyone reading this thread basically), there's a project to archive as much Spotpass content as possible before the servers are shut down. It's basically just running an app (cia or 3ds version available) to upload whatever info's cached on your systems.

There's a thread with more info on the retro subforums, but it's gone mostly unnoticed.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What's the benefit of dumping your ds carts? Is it just to preserve your personal save files?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Killingyouguy! posted:

What's the benefit of dumping your ds carts? Is it just to preserve your personal save files?
Some folks just want backups of their personal collection of physical cartridges, even if there are other ways to obtain them that might be less time consuming at this point.

There's also the off chance that someone might have a previously-unknown revision or that there's a bad dump commonly floating around. The chances of that are vanishingly small these days, but if nobody checked then you wouldn't know.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Saoshyant posted:

For anyone who has a CFW 3DS (everyone reading this thread basically), there's a project to archive as much Spotpass content as possible before the servers are shut down. It's basically just running an app (cia or 3ds version available) to upload whatever info's cached on your systems.

There's a thread with more info on the retro subforums, but it's gone mostly unnoticed.

ah yeah i heard about that on twitter (this is a lil thread about it)!! the github link here thats also in the twitter thread has a step by step process to do it and with cfw its hilariously easy, took me like 5 mins :)

https://twitter.com/StreetPassLove/status/1772639723888189913

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I just did it too. it's super fast and easy, hope my data helped in some way

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm crying for what is about to be lost.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was shocked to find that I could still jump into a full Mario kart 7 lobby on my 3DS the other night.

Of course it was all for nothing because someone was running cheats, so they were zapping around the track at the speed of light ramming everyone

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hoping that none of my panic purchases that I haven't actually booted up yet need a first-time server check-in or anything.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I tried booting up Smash Bros. yesterday to play some online before the servers shut down. Couldn't get past the menu, it would just be stuck after selecting anything on the menu. Sounds like my cartridge is dying.

Is there a way anyway to restore my save data? Does system read the save from the cartridge or the system itself? Like, can I just buy a used copy & get my data back?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm pretty sure carts store their save data on the carts. Have you tried cleaning the contacts both inside the 3DS and on the cart?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

I tested multiple games yesterday & only the Smash cart wasn't working properly. Will try cleaning, but it's been in the stored in the game box for years.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah, my puzzle and dragons cart did a similar thing. Do any hobbyists want dead carts for anything? I can't in good conscious sell or donate it to a store

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah from what I've heard some 3DS carts need to be booted every so often for the console to refresh the storage on the cart or they just... die. Which is a bit of a "what the gently caress" situation.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah from what I've heard some 3DS carts need to be booted every so often for the console to refresh the storage on the cart or they just... die. Which is a bit of a "what the gently caress" situation.

Goddamnit I guess I get to manually check all of my carts now.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Certain carts are more prone to failure though. Smash Bros, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby, and Persona Q are more likely to die out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

the newer cart formats use flash memory because it's way cheaper than the old mask ROMs at high capacities

all flash has the issue that it will eventually forget its contents if not powered for a long time

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
If you have a modded 3ds, something like this might help: https://github.com/skawo/GodMode9-with-Cartridge-Fixer

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

repiv posted:

the newer cart formats use flash memory because it's way cheaper than the old mask ROMs at high capacities

all flash has the issue that it will eventually forget its contents if not powered for a long time

Yeah, I was told this when researching options for external PC SSDs. They said if it's not permanently attached, to plug it in once in a while.

Is this also true for NDS games? What about PS1/PS2/DC memory cards? Weren't those flash as well?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

USB drives too, you're supposed to plug them in once every few years, pull all the data off and then put it back, if you want to keep them healthy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Yeah, I was told this when researching options for external PC SSDs. They said if it's not permanently attached, to plug it in once in a while.

Is this also true for NDS games? What about PS1/PS2/DC memory cards? Weren't those flash as well?

DS also used flash according to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Game_Card#Nintendo_DS_Game_Card

i think the N64 and GBA were the last nintendo systems to use maskroms, which should last basically forever

not sure if early memory cards used a more stable storage format

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 10, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cool, i didn't know the 3DS could do this

https://twitter.com/Skyfloogle/status/1778125853790015658

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

repiv posted:

i think the N64 and GBA were the last nintendo systems to use maskroms, which should last basically forever

not sure if early memory cards used a more stable storage format

There are actually about a dozen N64 games that use old style battery saves. Most notably Ocarina of Time, FZeroX, Smash Bros, and Harvest Moon. And about a further dozen that use Flash, most notably Majora’s Mask, Paper Mario, Jet Force Gemini, and basically every Pokémon cash in game.
And to tie this into your question about early memory cards, the N64 memory card (The Controller Pak) is a battery save too.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kind of timely on this topic I guess:

I dug up my 3dsxl and when I started it up it's pretending like it came straight from the factory. I haven't turned it on in about 4 years. I'm pretty confident this is my main 3ds as it is the gold triforce one and the most recent/coolest design that I had bought.

Is it possible it just forgets everything?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Did you steal the SD card for another use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Nettle Soup posted:

Did you steal the SD card for another use?

If you mean mixing up my SD cards I don't think so. I'll have to find a card reader to find out, I guess.