Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Since we've been in the habit of discussing guests in this thread lately this doctor guy Robert's talking to for this two-parter on fake doctors has done a good job. His name is Dr. Kaveh Hoda and he has his own podcast which probably explains how he's able to navigate being a guest fairly well (and how he got tapped for the show I'd assume). It also sounded like he listens to BtB regularly and I think that helps a lot.

This is his podcast, I might check it out https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-of-pod/id1225096382

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kaveh has been on a few times and is a very good guest

He knows his poo poo and is a smart guy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warden posted:

I tried to listen to Margaret's Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and chose the episode about snipers Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, but in giving background info to Häyhä, she gave her version of Finnish Civil War and it was not just full of factual mistakes, it was downright completely loving unhinged. And what's weird is that she actually lived here for several years. I stopped there, and haven't tried again.

It didn't help that her style of presenting didn't work for me at all.

I haven’t listened to that podcast but ooof. I’m not surprised that when she writes her own stuff she’s unhinged because that sums up like 95 percent of CZM. I think most of my liking her as a BTB guest is because they’ve set the bar so goddamn low in the past few years.

Warden posted:

Her version: bunch of right-wing bootlickers attempt to sell a newly independent country to Germany, so plucky social democrats who want a free republic are forced to fight a civil war that they heroically lose, and suffer horrible terror as leftists martyrs.

Reality: communists seize the leadership of Social Democrat Party, which leads to a Russian Bolshevik-backed coup/revolt, which forces the government to flee and ask Imperial Germany for aid. Germany agrees, because Russia is dithering at Brest-Litovsk, and thus join the war with the aim of taking Finland to German sphere of influence in order to put more pressure on the Bolsheviks to sign the treaty. Atrocities on both sides, the winners throw the losers into horrid prison camps which cause mass death.

Edit. Here's an effort post about the topic I made a few years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=225843#post511163318

Note that I never finished my series of posts, so I didn't cover the Terror in any depth.

I didn’t listen to the whole series because it was early on when they were worse at presenting than they are now (which is saying something) but Lions Led By Donkeys went into depth on some of this with their winter war series. I think their research absolutely blows away a lot of the BTB stuff, but Joe Kassabian has some real :eyeroll: takes himself sometimes. Also none of them are really good presenters, hitting the lofty heights of “I didn’t want to claw my ears out”, which still is far better than the people that guest host BTB.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zugzwang posted:

Friend of the show SBF got 25 years today. Surprised it wasn't longer, because few things get your poo poo ruined like messing with rich people's money.

I'd imagine he'd have gotten longer if the judge wasn't 79 god drat years old. I've heard a lot of horror stories out of Silicon Valley where the first hurdle in any trial is having to explain the actual issue to the gerontocratic mummy on the bench, so I was half-expecting SBF to only get a slap on the wrist.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Wanderer posted:

I'd imagine he'd have gotten longer if the judge wasn't 79 god drat years old. I've heard a lot of horror stories out of Silicon Valley where the first hurdle in any trial is having to explain the actual issue to the gerontocratic mummy on the bench, so I was half-expecting SBF to only get a slap on the wrist.
I hope there is some lawsuit, any lawsuit, involving bored apes just so someone has to explain that whole thing to a judge.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Wanderer posted:

kaplan seems to be pretty sharp for all of the transcripts I've read of hers and she definitely gets exactly how much money he ran off with, but i'm not sure why she erred so close to the minimum

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zugzwang posted:

I hope there is some lawsuit, any lawsuit, involving bored apes just so someone has to explain that whole thing to a judge.

if you say slurp juice one more time, I will direct the bailiff to tase the gently caress out of you

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This was a bit of a weird episode. It felt like Robert made a few mistakes (maybe due to the massive hangover) that didn't end up getting a correction inserted. Like, the Pentagon Papers weren't written by Heritage Foundation guys. Ellsberg was famously a RAND corporation guy before he leaked them. However, David Bell was a really good guest here. His reminders about the need for nuance in this kind of discussion were much appreciated.

Beyond all that, I did hit the algorithmic ad jackpot this time around. Something clearly bugged when I downloaded the episode and as a result there were no ads during any of the ad breaks. So overall, I'm gonna rate this one 10/10.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

These episodes reminded me of a very good book I read about Reagan and his war on Berkeley, Subversives by Seth Rosenfeld.

It's like 700 pages and about the last 200 are just citations and footnotes. Sometimes the author has an aside about how hard he had to fight to get his FOIA requests filled. I was a big fan of the part excerpted from Reagan's autobiography where Reagan seems to describe himself as being fine with communists until the FBI unconvincingly said they'd been badmouthing him.

After this he goes to a SAG meeting (I think?) and suggests that everyone stand up and declare that they are not and have never been members of the Communist Party. When the universal response is, "Ron what in God's name are you loving talking about" he takes that as proof that Hollywood has been infiltrated by Communist spies and that's why he hasn't been getting any work.

Anyway I also liked the parts about FBI agents being comically bumbling and sneaking into people's crawl spaces and becoming so bored by actual communists talking they fall asleep and start snoring like honk mimimimimi.

And when Bettina Aptheker pointed out an obvious Fed at a rally they decided the best way to get back at her was the stick bumper stickers on people's cars saying she sucked.

There's actual serious and infuriating poo poo in here too but I thought this thread would appreciate the looney tunes horseshit. It's a good book for bastard enthusiasts, A++ would recommend.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I really thought they were going to get to my "favorite" forensic science, the one where they determine whether a baby was stillborn or murdered by seeing whether its lungs float. Determining whether women are evil by checking whether something floats has a good track record, right? Historically?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, finding out that Ace of Base were Nazis was not something I expected to learn this week.

That said, Robert got Françoise Dior mostly wrong (or, at least, got all the details of the Dior family wrong). First, no woman started the Dior line, that was Christian Dior. And Dior had no Nazi sympathies, he literally hosted meetings for the French Resistance in his apartment (organized by his sister, the resistance fighter and eventual holocaust survivor Catherine Dior).

Françoise was the child of Christian's older brother, and she was a complete bastard, but the rest of the Diors recognized this too and basically told her to gently caress off.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ulf Ekberg has apologized throughly for his past and condemns that bonehead bullshit.

quote:

On 27 March 1993, Expressen reported that Ekberg had once been a member of a band called Commit Suiside [sic]. Commit Suiside was a band active in Gothenburg from 1984 to 1986, when Ulf was between the ages of 14 and 16, described as "a New Wave music band creating and performing electronic music on synthesizers without any political touch or agenda." In 1998, songs that were claimed to have been recorded by Commit Suiside (with explicit racist lyrics) were released on the unauthorized album Uffe was a Nazi!. However, the cited songs were not recorded by Commit Suiside. Other media outlets reported that Ekberg had been a neo-Nazi in his youth, for which Ekberg has repeatedly expressed regret.

Ekberg has repented of and criticized this part of his life multiple times since its reporting. In the 1997 documentary Our Story, Ekberg said: "I told everyone I really regret what I've done. [...] I took the experience from it, I learned from it. But that life is not me. It's somebody else." In 2013, he said: "During the early 1990s I did dozens of interviews, all around the world, about the people I sometimes found myself surrounded by in the 1980s and how profoundly regretful I am now about associating with such individuals. Those interviews covered every aspect of my past, as I strove to be an open book to anyone who asked. [...] The teenage mistakes I did make in terms of my chosen ideas at the time were unfortunate and if I were to live through those days again I would have done things very differently! I'm truly deeply sorry for any hurt and disappointment this has caused for our fans, and I want to be very clear that Ace of Base never shared any of these opinions and strongly oppose all extremist opinions on both the right and left wing."

In fact:

quote:

The band has described the song [Happy Nation], written as a response to reports of Ekberg's past associations with neo-Nazi skinheads, as an "anti-fascist song and a hymn to life". Ekberg has also said the song is a response to "everybody talking about how bad everything is! ... I think [the] best thing is to see [the] positive."

you could say he saw the sign and it opened up his eyes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

Okay, finding out that Ace of Base were Nazis was not something I expected to learn this week.

That article has a whole lot of assumptions and a whole lack of any sort of concrete proof of anything

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Did Robert ever issue a correction/retraction about that stuff? He's done so before, albeit usually about incorrect details rather than poor research and incorrect information slandering a still living person.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Annath posted:

Did Robert ever issue a correction/retraction about that stuff? He's done so before, albeit usually about incorrect details rather than poor research and incorrect information slandering a still living person.

I haven't listened yet, but last time something like this happened by the time I got to it there was already a little pop in during the episode, right after the fact, so I will you know if there is anything when I do listen later today/tomorrow.

Edit: just realized this week is a rerun, so I imagine a correction would be there already

swickles fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 2, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

swickles posted:

I haven't listened yet, but last time something like this happened by the time I got to it there was already a little pop in during the episode, right after the fact, so I will you know if there is anything when I do listen later today/tomorrow.

Edit: just realized this week is a rerun, so I imagine a correction would be there already

Yeah, no correction slotted in in post.

I feel like the show has gotten worse over the years about not vetting their sources as well.

Like, Robert clearly does a ton of research, but sometimes it seems like he spends a lot of time studying sources that he spent very little time finding/assessing.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Well, the Ace of Base thing was just an aside and referencing a Cracked article one of his friends wrote. So that wasn’t really one of the sources for the episode.

The Dior thing is clearly a case of him mixing up Coco Chanel and Christian Dior. It seems like this episode originally aired 3 years before the Chanel episode, so he probably wouldn’t make the same mistake again. But it also probably wasn’t in the original source (just that Françoise Dior was a big Nazi, which is true and well-documented).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LanceHunter posted:

Well, the Ace of Base thing was just an aside and referencing a Cracked article one of his friends wrote. So that wasn’t really one of the sources for the episode.

I mean, personally I think if you're going to accuse someone of being a nazi, you should maybe make sure it's an accurate statement, especially if your source is a Cracked article.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Annath posted:

I mean, personally I think if you're going to accuse someone of being a nazi, you should maybe make sure it's an accurate statement, especially if your source is a Cracked article.

I mean, if it was something one of your coworkers wrote, that the legal team at your employer approved, and didn’t get you sued for defamation, then I could understand taking its findings at face value if you hadn’t really thought of it since.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, if it was something one of your coworkers wrote, that the legal team at your employer approved, and didn’t get you sued for defamation, then I could understand taking its findings at face value if you hadn’t really thought of it since.

Maybe I just don't know enough about Cracked, but at least back when I frequented the site it never gave me the impression it had a legal team, let alone one that reviewed articles.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If that article is from nearly ten years ago on the relics of a defunct website, can’t do much about that. I mean the information is out there on Wikipedia and it’s sourced? Ace of Base really isn’t personas non grata outside of clear clickbait poo poo, I think they’re all living a beautiful life.

I think the most important thing is that people can change.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

teen witch posted:

If that article is from nearly ten years ago on the relics of a defunct website, can’t do much about that. I mean the information is out there on Wikipedia and it’s sourced? Ace of Base really isn’t personas non grata outside of clear clickbait poo poo, I think they’re all living a beautiful life.

I think the most important thing is that people can change.

No, I know the article is old, and I don't expect it to be updated.

My issue is that Robert made the Savitri Devi episode in 2020, well (literally decades) after the guy from Ace of Base had spoken at length about his views on his past and trying to repent going forward.

As someone who seems to at least want to appear to be ethical in his work, Robert should have left the quip out if he didn't want to double check.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Annath posted:

Like, Robert clearly does a ton of research, but sometimes it seems like he spends a lot of time studying sources that he spent very little time finding/assessing.

At the end of the day, he's producing several hours of content on a different subject every week (not to mention any other projects he has going on) and I suspect the accuracy suffers because of the time constraints. The Josh Duggar episode was the rare one where I knew more about the subject matter than Robert, probably even after his research, and I remember him getting some stuff wrong or missing parts of the story; I assume it's the same with every bastard, I'm just unaware of it.

I enjoy the show as entertainment, and possibly a jumping off point if I find a topic interesting, but not a whole lot more than that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

swickles posted:

I wouldn't expect too much activity on the topic. Evans' father died last week, according to Evans' Twitter.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The audience the show had in 2020 wouldn't get butthurt about him unfairly maligning an ex-Nazi and his friends

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The audience the show had in 2020 wouldn't get butthurt about him unfairly maligning an ex-Nazi and his friends

Yeah, people not actually being informed about the nuance of a situation and making immediate and permanent judgements of others based on incomplete information was common then and only more common now.

I just find it disappointing that someone who made bad choices in the past, but who has owned them and tried to move forward without covering them up is still having those choices thrown in his face without the accompanying redemption being included.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Annath posted:

Yeah, people not actually being informed about the nuance of a situation and making immediate and permanent judgements of others based on incomplete information was common then and only more common now.

I just find it disappointing that someone who made bad choices in the past, but who has owned them and tried to move forward without covering them up is still having those choices thrown in his face without the accompanying redemption being included.

There are bad choices, and then there is being a Nazi

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

There are bad choices, and then there is being a Nazi

Seeing as, as far as literally anyone has said, he never actually did anything but hang out with bigots and espouse bigotry (as opposed to, you know, killing/hurting people), I'd put that firmly in the "dumbass choices" column.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Annath posted:

Seeing as, as far as literally anyone has said, he never actually did anything but hang out with bigots and espouse bigotry (as opposed to, you know, killing/hurting people), I'd put that firmly in the "dumbass choices" column.
He was a teen then, and has recanted his lovely views explicitly. I wouldn’t ever want to be judged by the stupid poo poo I believed at those ages at 33. Like I had a shirt that said “Party Girl” on the front and “Team Blue, 04” on the back, which my mom bought for me from a TJ Maxx. I was 13 and believed that Kerry was an OK candidate. Sour antiauthoritarian adult me isn’t going to judge naïve, hopeful teen me.

Antifascism means that we also support people ditching fascism, especially if they got into it as a stupid kid. I think, if anything, we need to make a bigger point that anyone can leave the hatred behind and join the rest of humanity. It won’t be easy, sure, but it should absolutely be encouraged and supported.

And Christ if he was a Nazi shithead teen in the 80s Sweden and changed, that’s a loving miracle. There are some people who entered 1980 and never left, I wouldn’t be shocked if they still believed the Berlin Wall was still up.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

teen witch posted:

Antifascism means that we also support people ditching fascism, especially if they got into it as a stupid kid. I think, if anything, we need to make a bigger point that anyone can leave the hatred behind and join the rest of humanity. It won’t be easy, sure, but it should absolutely be encouraged and supported.

this is such a perfect way to say it, thank you.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

teen witch posted:

This is very true, not only on its own, but because the right is very happy to absorb folks who ~*were once libs but grew up and faced reality*~ or whatever. It's a lot harder for someone to leave that poo poo behind when the left keeps saying "you're always and forever an rear end in a top hat" while the right is going "see? The left are hateful bastards who think you're an rear end in a top hat."

Seriously, "people are forever defined by their dumbass teenage views" is an insanely toxic belief. Reconsider it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What took me aback was the description of Kali as being blue-skinned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Yes, teen_witch, very well said.

I’d also like to add that we, as people who try to examine the rhetoric used by the right, should know better than to dehumanize our political opposites. By saying that a person is incapable of growth or change you’re saying they are not as human or at least as worthy as you are. We’ve all listened to the same genocide and coup episodes and know what “othering” your opponents leads to.

Or, to actually voice how I feel: Alex Jones and everybody like him know better. If I believe that he is choosing to be an rear end in a top hat, then I have to believe he can, possibly, choose a different path. I doubt he will, but I refuse to say he can’t. To say Jones is somehow intrinsically evil is to lessen his responsibility for his conscious dick hole actions.