Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are Australia and Canada the same country?
This poll is closed.
YEE HAW (Yes) 14 35.90%
gently caress off you dog rear end oval office (No) 25 64.10%
Total: 39 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In Queensland some of the electricity providers now have a 0c solar rebate meaning you get nothing. In 2025 the regulator will allow QLD to revise to allow these companies to slug solar users like in NSW meaning that the current crop of companies offering 0 cents will be able to effectively have a solar rebate towards them rather than towards you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

In Queensland some of the electricity providers now have a 0c solar rebate meaning you get nothing. In 2025 the regulator will allow QLD to revise to allow these companies to slug solar users like in NSW meaning that the current crop of companies offering 0 cents will be able to effectively have a solar rebate towards them rather than towards you.

this is is why we need nuclear power

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

The real gridshitters were the privitisations we made along the way.
But it's a private matter?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Cartoon its time to nationalise

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

JBP posted:

Can't you just put your rooftop solar into a battery these days?

Not if your primary motivation is reduced environmental impact (and possibly not from an economic perspective either).

If you look at a full-life-cycle analysis, adding a battery massively reduces the environmental benefit from having solar panels. Like a multifold reduction.

If you've got rooftop solar because you wanted to in some way reduce your carbon footprint etc, then adding a battery directly works against that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why? processes involved in battery production? batteries smoking when you arent looking? details.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why? processes involved in battery production? batteries smoking when you arent looking? details.

All the excess rubbish from the packets for the 9volt batteries

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I just had a second home battery unit installed today so take that environment I guess.

I haven't seen the life cycle analysis for static batteries in detail but most of the sources expressing horror about their environmetal impact in an ev context tend to be reflecting concerns from bodies like the Heritage Foundation who only care about environmental impact of technologies when they can use it as a wedge to undermine alternatives to fossil fuels. It is extremely murky.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Probably depends on where the alternative power is coming from. If you’re comparing the environmental impact of a battery vs a grid supplied solely by renewable sources the battery probably sucks. If you’ve got a bunch of brown coal burning power stations providing the power it wouldn’t surprise me if the battery is better.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Most profitable use for a household battery is peak shaving - charging during the middle of the day and discharging in the early evening peak load period.

So the battery is likely to be displacing gas generation, even more so as solar/wind makes "base load" coal nonviable.

Burning methgas releases significantly less CO2 than coal but the big impact is fugitive emissions - leaks from gas infrastructure. Methane is a very potent greenhouse gas.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Equation is a bit different in our case as the house has no grid electricity connection so this second battery should mean we basically never need to use the woodburner.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Regular Wario posted:

Cartoon its time to nationalise

But are we going to build "Cartoon to the Premises", "Cartoon to the Node", or "Hybrid Fibre Cartoon" in our National Cartoon Network.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Tomberforce posted:

Equation is a bit different in our case as the house has no grid electricity connection so this second battery should mean we basically never need to use the woodburner.

Battery vs woodburning stove might not be the massive brainteaser you're taking it for.

Edit - maybe if you're planting and nurtring five trees for every one you cut down.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wait wait... Gridshitting in a public private partnership.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
are batteries actually a net profit over the lifetime of the battery yet even with the awful/non existent rebates?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Spookydonut posted:

are batteries actually a net profit over the lifetime of the battery yet even with the awful/non existent rebates?

They can be vastly cheaper if you’re not already connected to the grid. I don’t think at current prices they make economic sense if you’re already connected though

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

hooman posted:

But are we going to build "Cartoon to the Premises", "Cartoon to the Node", or "Hybrid Fibre Cartoon" in our National Cartoon Network.

National Cartoon Network sounds like what they air Pauline Hanson's Please Explain on

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

They can be depending on your tariff, but probably not for most people.

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/battery-storage/payback/ has a detailed breakdown.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

The Artificial Kid posted:

Battery vs woodburning stove might not be the massive brainteaser you're taking it for.

Edit - maybe if you're planting and nurtring five trees for every one you cut down.

Erm I dont quite follow how that is posing it as a brainteaser? I was just saying the set of considerations related to payoff and utility are different in an off grid context both environmentally and financially. Much more complicated than just battery vs woodburner of course but practically the second battery os the difference between easily running the split system heating on winter mornings and not being able to.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Tomberforce posted:

I just had a second home battery unit installed today so take that environment I guess.

I haven't seen the life cycle analysis for static batteries in detail but most of the sources expressing horror about their environmetal impact in an ev context tend to be reflecting concerns from bodies like the Heritage Foundation who only care about environmental impact of technologies when they can use it as a wedge to undermine alternatives to fossil fuels. It is extremely murky.

I'm talking about peer reviewed analysis done by a PhD researcher in our group, co-authored by an IPCC author. So not exactly the heritage foundation 😉

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Can you use home batteries to aid in sexual gratification?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

If you're not connected, sure. I know a resident of a semi-rural block that was quoted $25k connection costs to install a transformer and service line for a new house. Going off grid was a no-brainer for him.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Majestic posted:

I'm talking about peer reviewed analysis done by a PhD researcher in our group, co-authored by an IPCC author. So not exactly the heritage foundation 😉

Oh cool yeah I would be interested to read that. Like I say most stuff I've seen is extrapolated from ev battery life cycle analyses and it is generally a minefield of bad faith garbage due to the politics around evs.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

If you're not connected, sure. I know a resident of a semi-rural block that was quoted $25k connection costs to install a transformer and service line for a new house. Going off grid was a no-brainer for him.

This was exactly our situation except it was 50k connection cost. It was the only block we could afford at the time and thr lack of grid connection isn't the problem it used to be as off grid systems are so good now.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Radical left wing deep state globalist 15 minute city conspiricy proven! Good ol' Dutts comes up with a real GREEN game canger and then:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-22/nuclear-power-double-the-cost-of-renewables/103868728

The timing alone is incredibly suspicious.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The woke csiro

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cartoon posted:

Radical left wing deep state globalist 15 minute city conspiricy proven! Good ol' Dutts comes up with a real GREEN game canger and then:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-22/nuclear-power-double-the-cost-of-renewables/103868728

The timing alone is incredibly suspicious.

Isn't this exactly what their last report said?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

Isn't this exactly what their last report said?
There last report was complete LGBTQI+ misinformation!

https://www.csiro.au/en/news/all/articles/2023/december/nuclear-explainer

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gay picnic defence posted:

They can be vastly cheaper if you’re not already connected to the grid. I don’t think at current prices they make economic sense if you’re already connected though

When I was a kid, lovely rural life meant power outages could occur at any time. Four, fives times a year. Sometimes out for a few hours, sometimes a few days.

Back then, having a house battery would have worked great.

Even now, when I maybe get a blackout once every two years, I'd get one if I wasn't renting just to avoid dealing with the bullshit. Also, I think the way they hook them up to your home includes a regulator which prevents surges and dips from potentially damaging your stuff.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
if that rapist is on court record as having bought and used cocaine why hasnt he been arrested for that

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Spookydonut posted:

if that rapist is on court record as having bought and used cocaine why hasnt he been arrested for that

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

i'm guessing that is also the reason the 'journalists' and producers involved are also safe

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

In news that will surprise noone, Mark Latham is a vulgar offensive homophobic oval office.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-23/nsw-greenwich-v-latham-tweet-day-two-hearing/103883136

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao Dutton got Israel's backing hahahh

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If anyone was going to back a genocide, it was Dutton.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spookydonut posted:

You need to be in possession. I don't think it says anywhere he bought it himself, it's inferred that he would buy and use it. Waste of time.

I guess you could try to book that executive for buying it.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 23, 2024

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I for one would choose not to support people credibly accused of war crimes. And I would certainly refuse the support of those same people. Maybe I'm just weird.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
This just came onto my music playlist from *nowhere*

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ycYpie31L0g&si=UnTlZYXG_uZIIO_l

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Theron posted:

I for one would choose not to support people credibly accused of war crimes. And I would certainly refuse the support of those same people. Maybe I'm just weird.

Wow, antisemitic much?!??!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

JBP posted:

You need to be in possession. I don't think it says anywhere he bought it himself, it's inferred that he would buy and use it. Waste of time.

I guess you could try to book that executive for buying it.

how would they get the executive? trafficking seems out since they didn't intend to sell it.