Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Croc posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=956385

if you have archives there's the thread. Was in regular sports forum back then. Think psp came around 2006ish
Aah! No archives here but thanks. I'll refer back to this if I upgrade somewhere down the road. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Croc posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=956385

if you have archives there's the thread. Was in regular sports forum back then. Think psp came around 2006ish

My favorite part of this is somebody provides a link to a torrent of a special documentary on Wrestlemania and the reaction is,"A GIG!?!" :laugh:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite part of this is somebody provides a link to a torrent of a special documentary on Wrestlemania and the reaction is,"A GIG!?!" :laugh:

Its preposterous expecting people to download a whole gig!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Minidust posted:

Aah! No archives here but thanks. I'll refer back to this if I upgrade somewhere down the road. :)

Just for you :)

NastyNick posted:

Hunter wins with Pedigee on Benoit, setting up their Edmonton rematch. *sigh* Please let me be wrong. Let Benoit get back the title he never lost...

Orgophlax posted:

Holy poo poo there giving away the ending already. H is gonna be out of it for most the match then come in and win clean. Motherfuckers.

Xanax posted:

Here come HHH...with the win I bet over HBK...

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Hooray, benoit being out of it will ensure a Hunter win! Great. :(

PaybackJack posted:

COVER BY HBK ON BENOIT...KICK OUT....HUGE BENOIT CHANT!!!!! HBK misses with the Sweet Chin Music on Triple H...pedigree... countered in the crossface!!!!

REACHING FOR THE ROPES!!!!!!!

TRIPLE H IS FADING!!!!!!

BlazeKinser posted:

CROSSFACE ON HHH!

HHH TAPPED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FullMetalJackoff posted:

BENOIT WINS, BENOIT loving WINS!

Chen Kenichi posted:

Guys what just happened? I mean I got zombies walking around outside, my dog likes my cat, and a pig just flew by my window :confused:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

It's everything I dreamed it would be.:allears: Thanks, Jerus!:)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jerusalem posted:

I love the archives.

Daryl Surat posted:

I think this should be Undertaker's last Wrestlemania.

Cabbit posted:

I don't think the bookers are the problem, I think it's Captain Hair giving it to Vince's daughter nightly.

Wee Bairns posted:

I don't believe it. I really don't. Trip must want more time off! Bonus for us.

haha, thx deathlove. can we get a rolling animation version?[/quote posted:

Wow, they were much more formal than "gif that poo poo, J-Ru."

[quote="ZoDiAC_"]OH MY GOD CENA LIFTED THE BIG SHOW!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

After Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit hugged and soaked in the cheers of the crowd, Benoit's wife Nancy, his two children, and his father came to the ring and celebrated with Benoit.

:smith:

Inarticulation posted:

John Cena vs. Big Show
Best match of the night. John Cena deserves a huge huge push, and this should be the start of something big.

Chen Kenichi posted:

Cena/Show was a fairly pleasant match, although I do not know how long I want the feud to go - remember the brass knucks finish will probably mean that this goes for at least one more month. I only hope that Show is somehow giving Cena some veteran help along the way so Cena can become a top-flight guy. I say that because he has the potential to be really good, although if I ever become a fan of his he will need to change the character away from 'Marky Mark'.

PS: I was at Backlash for that match and was completely terrified they were going to hometown-screw Benoit.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 25, 2013

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just got a Roku HD and a free week's trial of Hulu Plus.

Hulu Plus has a bunch of WWE shows!

Except raw is cut down to 90 minutes, seemingly at random between matches and non-matches.

What the hell.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Does Vince hate JR? Why does he seem to try to go out of his way to humiliate him?

Edit: Was his kiss my rear end schtick... I don't quite know how to frame it. Was it to punish people that did something to aggravate him? Was it done legitimately attempt to minimize them, or did King Psycho think it was all in good fun? Just a funny little rib.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 25, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DangerDummy! posted:

Does Vince hate JR? Why does he seem to try to go out of his way to humiliate him?

Edit: Was his kiss my rear end schtick... I don't quite know how to frame it. Was it to punish people that did something to aggravate him? Was it done legitimately attempt to minimize them, or did King Psycho think it was all in good fun? Just a funny little rib.

JR has said many times that he considers Vince one of his closest friends. Vince is the sort of guy that thinks it's hilarious to treat his buddies that way, but he honestly seems to like the guy, and if he didn't I doubt he'd have been continuously employed as long as he as. Triple H seems to have a bit of the same personality\ which is probably a part of why the get along so well. I remember when Trips inducted HBK into the HOF a bunch of people on here were confused by all the seemingly mean spirited jokes during that weekend.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Thauros posted:

JR has said many times that he considers Vince one of his closest friends. Vince is the sort of guy that thinks it's hilarious to treat his buddies that way, but he honestly seems to like the guy, and if he didn't I doubt he'd have been continuously employed as long as he as. Triple H seems to have a bit of the same personality\ which is probably a part of why the get along so well. I remember when Trips inducted HBK into the HOF a bunch of people on here were confused by all the seemingly mean spirited jokes during that weekend.

He also does it because JR is a good old boy and Vince hates them.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

It was for nuclear heat, while probably also being for the amusement of Vince. Not really sure what his original intention was.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 25, 2013

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

DangerDummy! posted:

The Kiss My rear end Club was apparently Regal's idea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thauros posted:

Yea Vince is basically the friend you have that thinks because you're friends he can poo poo all over you because hey you know we're buddies right? That's, usually, just an annoying character trait, but when that buddy has a world wide media platform to poo poo on you on it can look a lot less 'oh that Vince' and a lot more 'Jesus what did that elderly stroke victim do to Vince?' Unless they've just been doing a really stupid lie for decades he and JR are legitimately friends and respect each other, JR's just a very good sport and Vince knows he can pretty much do anything short of literally throwing flaming trash at him and it's cool.

HHH is a more normal version of that where he busts his best friends' balls but has a firmer grasp on the line between funny and dick.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for all the answers. I'm thinking it's just safer to assume I don't understand the wrestler mentality. Just when I think I've got them figured out, I kind of hit a wall with it.

Speaking of Regal, did I hear correctly that he had a major push, but he hosed it up somehow?

Edit: Also, is it true that Glacier created the Chrionic Kick, and that he may subsequently destroy with it?

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 25, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DangerDummy! posted:

Speaking of Regal, did I hear correctly that he had a major push, but he hosed it up somehow?

Regal got a huge push as a top heel in 2008 and then pissed hot for steroids on a second violation, which essentially means they'll never push you hard again because a third violation is an automatic firing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Regal got a huge push as a top heel in 2008 and then pissed hot for steroids on a second violation, which essentially means they'll never push you hard again because a third violation is an automatic firing.

So does that mean Orton's forever out of the title picture, or will they run with him til the wheels come off because he's young and so marketable?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Randy Orton might be young, but he's had N concussions where N-1 is considered a "safe"* number.

*there is no safe number of concussions.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Also his shoulder sockets are basically those rubber popper toys.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It seems these days, we only measure a wrestler's success by how many world titles they win, if any. When I was younger, I remember thinking people like Jake the Snake, Andre the Giant, Rowdy Roddy Piper (before WCW) and the Million Dollar man were all big names in the industry. Do you think younger people look at someone like say R-Truth as a star despite no world titles?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I would say no, not because of the lack of world titles, but the lack of legitimacy. People like Jake the Snake or Roddy Piper, even though they never had the title, were made to look like consistent large threats. People like R-Truth or Kofi nowadays are seen as a threat in the midcard, but jobbers when the main eventers need someone to kill.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Plus now title changes are more common and everyone seems to get a run with the belt. Plus they have two "world" titles which means even more people get the belt.

In general since the attitude era it's tougher to think of guys who never held a title than those who did.

Also the WWE recognises Andre's title win, and have done so ever since his death, so he technically was a World champ.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

I would say no, not because of the lack of world titles, but the lack of legitimacy. People like Jake the Snake or Roddy Piper, even though they never had the title, were made to look like consistent large threats. People like R-Truth or Kofi nowadays are seen as a threat in the midcard, but jobbers when the main eventers need someone to kill.

In the WWF Piper also had very few clean wins. One of the few is when Bret pinned him for the IC title.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is Andre the most respected person in wrestling? He seemed legitimately cool and very few negative things are said about him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

Is Andre the most respected person in wrestling? He seemed legitimately cool and very few negative things are said about him.
Nah, there's people like DDP, Paul Bearer, and Mark Henry who would beat him out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, there's people like DDP, Paul Bearer, and Mark Henry who would beat him out.

Owen Hart is also up there.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'd say yes to this. I'll also add DDP. Who could hate that smilin sumbitch?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

DangerDummy! posted:

Just to add on to this, I agree with the replies others have posted about Vince and his ego thinking he can dump on JR and it's funny. However, I also think there's more than a fair bit of JR doing that stuff as a sort of example to "the boys". JR is very big on the whole "things are a lot easier and better for wrestlers than they were back in the day" viewpoint. I think he lets Vince humiliate him partially because of Vince's ego, but also to give the younger guys a "if I can get out there with my Bell's Palsy and do what I'm asked to do, regardless of how terrible it is, then so can you BAH GAWD :bahgawd:" kind of message.

Spikeguy posted:

I'd say yes to this. I'll also add DDP. Who could hate that smilin sumbitch?

I think the only person I can recall DDP having any kind of heat with was Scott Steiner, I seem to recall it was because Steiner crossed the line in a promo or something like that regarding Kimberly (aka "being Scott Steiner"). Not that this disqualifies DDP or anything like that, I agree 100% that he's right up there in the "wrestlers who are rightfully respected" list.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Didn't a lot of people backstage give DDP poo poo for pre-planning his matches instead of calling on the fly? I mean, he actually made an effort to make his matches look good instead of half-assing it just enough to get a paycheck, what a nerd.

Also, if we're talking about the nicest people in the business, we can't forget Molly Holly :3:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

404GoonNotFound posted:

Didn't a lot of people backstage give DDP poo poo for pre-planning his matches instead of calling on the fly? I mean, he actually made an effort to make his matches look good instead of half-assing it just enough to get a paycheck, what a nerd.

Also, if we're talking about the nicest people in the business, we can't forget Molly Holly :3:

That's just personal preference really. Randy Savage done the same thing.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh, right, yeah. This question's answered.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

The criticism is that a genuinely good worker should be able to put on a good, even a great match, calling it in the ring. Even if it's Flair style, where you have a bunch of spots you chain together with improv in between. A lot of guys felt DDP can't do that, so used over-scripting to hide. Plus he was ridiculous about it, allegedly. (Like planning it down to the kind and number of punches)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just to add on to this, I agree with the replies others have posted about Vince and his ego thinking he can dump on JR and it's funny. However, I also think there's more than a fair bit of JR doing that stuff as a sort of example to "the boys". JR is very big on the whole "things are a lot easier and better for wrestlers than they were back in the day" viewpoint. I think he lets Vince humiliate him partially because of Vince's ego, but also to give the younger guys a "if I can get out there with my Bell's Palsy and do what I'm asked to do, regardless of how terrible it is, then so can you BAH GAWD :bahgawd:" kind of message.

J.R. has invested his money wisely, and doesn't need to appear on WWE television. He isn't being forced to do anything he doesn't want to do. Like any old timey guy, he'll do what's best for business, or whatever he can do to get an angle or someone else over.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Red posted:

J.R. has invested his money wisely, and doesn't need to appear on WWE television. He isn't being forced to do anything he doesn't want to do. Like any old timey guy, he'll do what's best for business, or whatever he can do to get an angle or someone else over.

Even so, there's no denying him and Vince have a very strange dynamic. I'd love to see a shoot interview with JR that brings it up.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Are there any good books or documentaries that show the day to day of wrestling or the work that goes into making a show or PPV?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Gaz-L posted:

The criticism is that a genuinely good worker should be able to put on a good, even a great match, calling it in the ring. Even if it's Flair style, where you have a bunch of spots you chain together with improv in between. A lot of guys felt DDP can't do that, so used over-scripting to hide. Plus he was ridiculous about it, allegedly. (Like planning it down to the kind and number of punches)

I understand both sides of this, but DDP got a really good match out of Goldberg which is more than most can say. Also, structure and planning in WCW seemed to be totally absent from most main event matches after 1996, so good on someone for actually caring about putting on a good show.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Liar Lyre posted:

Are there any good books or documentaries that show the day to day of wrestling or the work that goes into making a show or PPV?

"The Mania of Wrestlemania" is an interesting look backstage at the buildup to WM XIX.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
JR is a Sub, Vince is a Dom, WWE is 50 shades of Cena.

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

JR is a Sub, Vince is a Dom, WWE is 50 shades of Cena.

You disgust, arouse, terrify and amuse me.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

"The Mania of Wrestlemania" is an interesting look backstage at the buildup to WM XIX.

This is the best thing WWE films did. Anyone who hasn't seen this needs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is that on Netflix?