Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Tiggum posted:

In a lot of cases this "Is it a real game?" question exists basically to deny legitimacy to video games that aren't marketed to the standard teenage boy audience, but I think the game/toy distinction can be useful as long as it's understood that there's nothing wrong with toys and they're not "the lovely version of games for girls and other mentally deficient people". Toys are fun, games are fun, and it's interesting to look at the fact that a lot of what are marketed to girls are on the toy side rather than the game side.
Speaking as a game designer, I'd agree that most of these dress up simulators are toys. They're pretty lovely toys (okay the horse and dog one was pretty great), but they're digital toys much like SimCity is a toy. It's something that gives you tools to create but doesn't set a hard goal, which allows you to express yourself creatively. I'd say the ones with actual goals (the date ones, ugh) are the real monsters because while they follow the concepts of an actual game, they do so in a horribly misogynistic manner. The hygiene simulators.... they're not games OR toys. They're an interactive instruction manual.

Tiggum posted:

Also, I can't believe no one's mentioned the best girl game ever: Saints Row 2.
Speaking of, there are currently TWO LPs of the best girl game going on right now.

If I may inject a personal tale of a girl game from long past, I had (warning: terrible sound) Crystal's Pony Tale for the Sega Genesis. I played the hell out of that game with my little sister, and even though there's just 3 options for "dress up", I still pondered over that screen every playthrough. It might've helped that there was an actual (bad) game to play as your pretty pretty pony after the dress up.

vv Well there goes my next 40 minutes.

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Saint's Row 2 is an excellent Girl Game and y'all should go watch those LPs! Also,

Ramengank posted:

If I may inject a personal tale of a girl game from long past, I had (warning: terrible sound) Crystal's Pony Tale for the Sega Genesis.

The Men Drinkin Coffee did a full playthrough of this beautiful game already, and I don't really know what I could add to this experience.

I'd also like to echo everyone who is saying that a game being dress up, pink and/or sparkly is not inherently problematic, but the lack of effort and terrible messages about what it means to be feminine are.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

kaiten80 posted:

Hell, I'm a grown man, and I will spend literally hours turning virtually any game that will let me into a dressup simulator so I don't have a problem with that aspect per se. I guess the real difference (if we set aside the pink-n-sparkly problem for a moment) is that there's a reason for it, namely that I want my character to look good doing cool stuff. I guess there's a big difference in message between "you can get a makeover before you save the world if you want" and "all you need to do is look good."

Exactly. Everyone does this regardless of gender, at least as far as I know. If I get customization options I'll play with them for hours. I even play dress-up in loving Dark Souls, because I have to LOOK COOL when I stab you in the face or set you on fire (or when said things happen to me).

This isn't like that. These games just feel like misogyny training. You have to look a certain way and that's the goal - it doesn't matter what you DO.

Devious Vacuum posted:

I'd also like to echo everyone who is saying that a game being dress up, pink and/or sparkly is not inherently problematic, but the lack of effort and terrible messages about what it means to be feminine are.

Yeah, this.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Dress-up is not just for girls. I know of a series of dress up games for guys called Armored Core.

As for girly games, there's Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble - http://www.mousechief.com/dhsg/
A board-game-style detective story, in which boyfriends are obtained with a little bit of flirt, and then discarded as single-use damage shields, when that hag a year older delivers a particularly sick burn.

Yeah, I have this game. It was enjoyable goofy fun. And then there's a sudden plot twist and it's all aboard the train to awkward rape town.

SUPER AWKWARD.

EDIT: Also, secret confession: I have a terrible trainwreck-watching attraction to otome games. There are a handful of good ones, but oh my god, the bad ones. I also like dollmakers, but only the proper ones where you can put on whatever you goddamn please, and only if not all the options are hookerwear and goddamnit, why are so many of these GIRL GAMES ones so poorly made? The ones I've played are like made as artist practice, not really for little girls. The ones for GIRLS~ are just made like poo poo. What's this crap about having to "beautify" first? What's this crap about having to scroll through clothes by hitting the "shirt" button until it's on a shirt I like? Make a list!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2014

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I'm thinking of doing a video on the history of girl games, in which i show girl games from different console era's to see how the graphics and gameplay (d)evolves. But I'm having problems finding interesting games to show, especially in the pre-PS1 days. I can think of a couple:

Arcade: Ms Pacman
NES: Little mermaid, Princess tomato
GB: Powerpuff Girls
SNES: Sailor Moon RPG
All Eras: Barbie, My little pony

But i know there are lots more, any of you have ideas of games i should cover? (if i do this).

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
These games are an accurate representation of what I have to do every morning before I can even consider going out to do things; as such, I never actually sleep.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
For a dressing-up game that I can recommend as actually being fun (and a game), I present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDkcm7T3ssA

I played this during a time period when I was checking out a lot of 'casual' games and did not expect much out of it, but when I started playing it, it was surprisingly compelling. Also successful enough that it spawned a whole series, but I never played any of the others.

Not sure how well the concept comes through from the video if you've never played it, but you basically have to assemble outfits to various requirements and bonus requirements and get scored on how well you do, with timers and powerups and other complications being thrown at you. Since the lineup of what items you have available at any moment is semi-random and refreshes as you use things, you can make strategic choices about building up part of a 'perfect' outfit and sending the other models on stage while you wait in the hope that the rest of the perfect outfit will spawn, and so on.

Peach Style
Nov 10, 2003

I don't speak 'crazy head sucker' language.
I appreciate this thread.

I'm glad that you brought up that some people, regardless of gender, do like playing dress up games, as seen in the many minutes people spend creating their perfect avatar in MMOs.

As a girl, who doesn't typically engage in 'girl games', I came across this treasure:

I don't know if I want to have games to teach girls to wear lamp shades over their heads. :ohdear:

Peach Style fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 18, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_duck posted:

I'm thinking of doing a video on the history of girl games, in which i show girl games from different console era's to see how the graphics and gameplay (d)evolves. But I'm having problems finding interesting games to show, especially in the pre-PS1 days. I can think of a couple:

But i know there are lots more, any of you have ideas of games i should cover? (if i do this).

Well I would say Metroid, but really the best thing about Metroid is the fact that (gently caress Other M that does not exist) it doesn't really care about gender, it's just a bad rear end woman in power armor blowing poo poo up and saving the world.

That said, almost all of them have that drat ending thing where your time/completion determines how much she's wearing in the credits.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 18, 2014

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

:stare:

Pardon me if I'm showing my ignorance here and that's a style of shoe that's actually regularly worn but isn't that what women wore back during like, footbinding? because uh if so that's sort of a weird(er) place for one of these dressup games to go

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Fenrir posted:

Well I would say Metroid, but really the best thing about Metroid is the fact that (gently caress Other M that does not exist) it doesn't really care about gender, it's just a bad rear end woman in power armor blowing poo poo up and saving the world.

That said, almost all of them have that drat ending thing where your time/completion determines how much she's wearing in the credits.

Yeah and the gameplay is not very "girly" either. Sure you play as a girl but lots of games do that which aren't girl games in the slightest. Games like heavenly sword, x-blades or even heavy metal FAKK2 would fall in the same category. By the same reason Ms. Pacman also doesn't really belong on the list but it's tough finding old girl games so i left it on.

Peach Style
Nov 10, 2003

Cloche posted:

:stare:

Pardon me if I'm showing my ignorance here and that's a style of shoe that's actually regularly worn but isn't that what women wore back during like, footbinding? because uh if so that's sort of a weird(er) place for one of these dressup games to go

You may be correct. This was the first image that come up in GIS on 'chinese foot binding shoes'.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

That succubus game was great I hope you find more diamonds in the rough like that. Also the only feminists I respect are anarchofeminists because if you're going to condemn patriarchy for being a coercive hierarchy you may as well be logically consistent. Basically I just like Emma Goldman, most dangerous woman in America :black101:

Captain_duck posted:

The Sailor Moon RPG was great and no one can convince me otherwise.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Peach Style posted:

I don't know if I want to games to teach girls to wear lamp shades over their heads. :ohdear:

I had some fun with those games identifying what clothes are actually Chinese and which they just threw in there because "it's Asian so it must be Chinese, right?" Also, the shoes she's wearing are actually meant for bound feet, as are a lot of the shoes I've seen in these games.

I did find a surprisingly accurate game where you dress up a Qing empress, though. Look at this Manchu style!

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
If you're going to do any sort of study on girl games you really need to figure out what definition of them you're using first rather than randomly cherry-picking titles. I mean, you could compare Metroid to Let's Date Justin Bieber and draw all sorts of crazy conclusions about how "games for girls used to be awesome compared to now!" and that would just be silly as the two games are not even slightly targeted to the same audience.

The earliest games specifically targeted at girls that I can personally remember are the Cabbage Patch Kids games on the Colecovision (Coleco owned the doll line at that point in time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZBntuRi9MU

I did not own that, but I did own this weird thing called Cabbage Patch Kids Picture Show where you could assemble and record little ugly animations of your own. Of course there wasn't really any way to SHARE them with anyone, given 80's technology...

Pre-Nintendo, though, video games tended to be more gender-neutral. This was family entertainment. The pushing of games as a rad boy thing in marketing came later.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

The weirdest thing about the Eye Laser Flirting Game is that it's not one of a kind. In my search I found one with identical concept and gameplay, but it was Japanese and seemed mildly better so maybe Flirting In The Street ripped that one off.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Captain_duck posted:

I'm thinking of doing a video on the history of girl games, in which i show girl games from different console era's to see how the graphics and gameplay (d)evolves. But I'm having problems finding interesting games to show, especially in the pre-PS1 days.

Again, the issue here is what you want to count as "girl games." Obviously Metroid has already been brought up, but I understand your thoughts there (still, if you follow through with the video you should probably give your explanation in the commentary as well). "Crystal Pony Tale" for the Genesis, mentioned earlier, has the benefit of being a legitimately not-bad game. Didn't one of the early Harvest Moons let you choose between a male and female protagonist (if you want to count that) or did that come later? I don't think Giana Sisters was targeting a female audience as much as it was completely ripping off Super Mario Bros, but that also exists.

Otherwise, really interesting thread Devious Vacuum! Surprising to see how many of these exist, because like other people have mentioned it's shocking to think they must be turning a profit somehow. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Cyan Dag
Oct 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I played a lot of The Sims, but I feel like the expansions and sequels lost sight of the whole point, which was that it was a dollhouse with animated dolls. When it started getting to be more of a game, with goals and challenges, than a toy, where you can do whatever you want, I lost interest. I want my dolls to like who and what I tell them to, not dictate their desires to me.

Also, I can't believe no one's mentioned the best girl game ever: Saints Row 2. I don't know how many hours I've spent driving around town in my pink convertible, trying on and buying all sorts of clothes and jewellery. I love the missions and activities etc. in that game, but if there's one thing I wish other games would take notice of and incorporate is the character customisation and dressing up.

And I just want to add that despite being male I love girl games. I have always loved playing dress-ups, playing with dolls, The Sims and even those lovely Flash-based dress-up games. Some of those in these two videos looked pretty fun.

Yeaaah, I think part of my discomfort with playing Sims is also that they're getting increasingly half-assed, and I kind of hate throwing money at them for that. ALSO, it's less fun because the clothes in Sims 3 are largely weird and tacky as hell.

And yeah, they don't really seem to get what actually made it fun. It's like they're going but... where the game in this game? The dressup and customization aspects are what drive most of appeal of the game, which is hard to get, because it's hard to point at it as actual gameplay as we're seeing here. I guess it depends on how much a game has to be giving you a goal to work towards, or if it counts if it just enables you to find your own goal and work towards it.

These dressup games pretty much only have the second kind of goal, which feels like it should but also feels like it shouldn't be a game. I mean, when I'm playing a dressup game I have fun doing it, and it feels like gameplay in that I'm working towards a goal even if it's one I made up. But it does feel kind of hollow at the end when my reward is to just kinda stare at the outfit and be like "Yup. I like that," and the game doesn't give two shits either way. But at the same time, dressup games that do give me goals start to get kind of annoying. I want to be free to decide what looks good or not, game! But also read my mind and reward me for what I think looks good, I guess!

The kinds of goals these dressup games specifically are assuming you want to be working towards are also all kind of terrible, which doesn't help to keep people from dismissing dressup games as a whole entirely. The Ivy League Roomates one was actually not half-bad about its implicit goals. It had a little bit of story going on in that you could decide on the roomates' personalities a little through their dress and not just dress them for maximum pretty. The major issue it had is that it's like "These girls are in an ivy league school! Most importantly, though, what are they wearing?" I mean, they probably just wanted a vaguely interesting setting for your dressup - there's only so many proms you can go to. But when everything else a woman does is judged in parallel to how she looks doing it, and that's the only game that has any ivy league context, it comes across as more of the same.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Thanks for those suggestions, especially that cabbage patch game must be one of the first ones. Also Crystal pony tale is a great example indeed.

This got me wondering though, i guess i should really try finding the first type of game of all the girl game types, like:

What is the first game that was marketed towards girls (barbie C64 1984 perhaps?)
What is the first horse/pony managing game?
What is the first dress-up game?
What is the first princess maker-type game?

Anyone have an idea to the answers of these questions?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
There were actually a BUNCH of pretty darn good Sailor Moon games for the SNES; the RPG, obviously, but Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R were pretty solid sidescrolling beat-em-ups developed by Bandai and Angel, Angel also did a decent-ish fighting game for the series, and Gazelle and Banpresto did another arcade-exclusive beat-em-up in 1995 that actually played a lot like Final Fight but girly as gently caress. Sailor Moon has a LONG history with solid-quality games aimed at girls that don't fall into the 'typical' categories of so-called girl games.

Look I know frankly stupid amounts of stuff about Sailor Moon okay. Don't you judge me.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Captain_duck posted:

What is the first game that was marketed towards girls (barbie C64 1984 perhaps?)
Maybe there was something in the early days of interactive fiction? When did Roberta Williams start unleashing her demons?
Speaking of, the two Laura Bow games are quite girly. The second one even has cheesy love subplot, and I notice that detective stories are generally popular among the female audience.

Captain_duck posted:

Hard to answer, considering that physical dress-up (with dolls) existed for ages prior. It's like looking at wargames, and ending up with major concepts dating back to Kriegspiel from 1812.

Any brave souls willing to tackle all of Nancy Drew?

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 18, 2014

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
This thread is cripplingly funny, surprisingly edifying, and deeply saddening all at once, and all those emotions run as parallel as the structure of that list.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly, the site that did lovely flash games that did the least-lovely lovely "girl" flash games was Cartoon Network.

Say what you will about them, Powerpuff Girls vs. Rowdyruff Boys is an actual game and it's actually kinda tough. (I haven't been able to get the best ending).

Agent Interrobang posted:

Look I know frankly stupid amounts of stuff about Sailor Moon okay. Don't you judge me.

It's sad, to me, that I've played and beat all of those games. Look, I had a lot of free time in Middle School because I had no internet speed and SNES Roms were the biggest things I could access.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of anime, they're not 'girl' games, in that they're not marketed specifically at girls, but the Tales of series of JRPGs has a mostly female fanbase in Japan. At least of the core, dedicated fans, anyway. The Tales of Festival, which is a giant event Bandai-Namco (the developers) hold every year that has stuff like the voice actors doing little skits in-character and announcements for new games, is always like 90% women in the audience, cheering ridiculously loud whenever the brooding pretty boys show up or are mentioned.

What I'm saying is that this thread needs to Let's Play an 80 hour JRPG.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Senerio posted:

Honestly, the site that did lovely flash games that did the least-lovely lovely "girl" flash games was Cartoon Network.

Say what you will about them, Powerpuff Girls vs. Rowdyruff Boys is an actual game and it's actually kinda tough. (I haven't been able to get the best ending).

It's sad, to me, that I've played and beat all of those games. Look, I had a lot of free time in Middle School because I had no internet speed and SNES Roms were the biggest things I could access.

oooh yes. The PPG flash games.
Me and friends played the snowboard game for HOURS.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I gotta say, as a wee lad I would have loved access to a Sailor Moon game, but I had no such thing.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hi guys! I got way too excited about this thread so please enjoy part one of

Let's Check Out Horrible iPhone Games (FOR GIRLS)

I knew we were off to a good start when all I had to do was type in "games" and it immediately prompted me for "games for girls".

I immediately downloaded every single game that looked awful and was free. I took a screenshot of this one in particular because I was so distracted by the horrible screenshot I almost accidentally paid money for something. No, I did not actually buy this one ugh.

All together I downloaded 11 different games, each of which I spent a varying amount of time on, so you'll see bits and pieces of these messes across a couple posts I think.

First up is Style Me Girl!!

I missed grabbing a screenshot of the title screen, which lasted about .4 seconds and ran off the sides of the screen in both directions. Here is our model? I guess? She looks like a creepy anime blowup doll.

Though once we choose the career option, we're given our actual first model, Jenny. I was shocked to see the first character you get to actually interact with in this game wasn't white!

Here's more of that text running off the sides crap I was talking about.

There are a lot of really useless intro screens in this game, but this one crosses the line into creepy. You want her to look "delicious"? I... what? Okay. Is there a hotdog costume or something?

First we go into her closet to get her into something more fancy than her weird extremely conservative underwear (???)

The thought bubble really came out of nowhere and I'm still laughing at it. Also, every time you pick anything in this dressup scenario a creepy robotic woman's voice yells "FABULOUS" or "SO FASHIONABLE" out of the speakers.

I should also probably point out there were almost no clothes in the closet, just this dress and one shirt/shorts combo. I think you have to buy the rest of the clothes with in-app purchases. Gross.

All right, it's time for the photo shoot! Let's make her look *FAB*.

I have 30 seconds to take shots while the model cycles through these really creepy and stiff poses. It's not so much "animated" as "possibly haunted".

But we did it! And I got... extra points for bare shoulders? And leather. This game is weird. Also I won some dumbass currency that's related to their lovely in-app purchase bullshit.

Nope okay no thanks I'm done with this game.

Up next is a game I was actually really surprised by in terms of quality, High School Story.

Obviously we are a lady up in this thread. I was surprised I had a choice, though?

Clearly we are nerdy as hell, making a screenshot post for a videogame thread on the internet.

This default girl just ain't doin it for me. I had to make her look as much like me as possible.

Much better! Being able to use unnatural hair colors was another thing that surprised me here, because I haven't really seen any other "girl games" with customization that allow you to do that.

Autumn I think might have some problems, because right now the "school" is an open field. Also it might be covered in snow? Either that or we're in some kind of untextured nightmare void.

High School Story is a kind of game that's fairly popular in the mobile market. You are given a blank plot of land, a store full of components, and a general goal of "make this the best ____ ever!!!". It's got elements of a tycoon game (sort of) mixed with farmville. High School Story also incorporates quests, but we'll get there later. First we've gotta buy this super cool nerd hangout.

I smashed that flirty option so hard I nearly punched the phone out of my hand.

This blows my mind. Not only does this game have not completely awful writing, I'm allowed to hit on the girls??? I didn't play far enough to the point where I unlocked "dating", but this game definitely has dating. Can I be in a gay relationship?? I think I actually can.

Okay I can't get all hung up on freedom of sexuality in what was listed as a girl's game, let's move things forward and buy an admissions office for more students to join.

Time to purchase some students to populate the school with!

This guy seems all right.

Oh, we're also allowed to customize the other students who attend the school? That's a little weird narratively but pretty fun gameplay wise. Also I love that there are really gender-neutral haircuts available for both girls and boys. That's pretty progressive for what I expected to be hot loving garbage.

There we go, perfect.

LP Fanfic Story Generator.

So the next thing we do is buy a classroom so we can level up our characters.

Nothing but the finest classes for our high school students, including classics such as "How Do I Math".

Here's the leveling screen, where I just tap on the books a bunch until I become a level 2 nerd. You can also see the blank spot where my potential dating partner goes. Also apparently I can sell the students???

This is our basic intro to the quest system, which is interesting for this kind of game.

The first quest was to level ourselves up, and we did it! We're rewarded with xp. The levels tied to the xp system are different from the character levels. Knowing this kind of game, the overall levels gained from xp will unlock more game features further down the road.

The next quest was to level up Geop, which I would have cut entirely but I can't stop laughing like a maniac every time he says a line.

But then! Some drama occurred.

I wish I had more commentary for this other than my ridiculously loud laughter echoing throughout the house. I guess it's time for Geop and I to go punch a cheerleader in the face together!!

Geop is ready to stone cold drop a bitch for me. :allears:

drat right.

I love that this dude is already insulting our school, which has only existed for 20 seconds and has one classroom.

Oh poo poo, it's time for a throw down! The moment of truth! Blood on the pavement!

Lmbo guess what I picked

So something double amazing happened here, in that the dialogue started advancing by itself too quickly for me to get screencaps of. Normally it doesn't advance until I tap the screen but something about this scenario totally flipped the game out.

It's so much better this way, it's like they were too shocked to react correctly and then left.

Anyway we win!!! We're the best! At this point I solidly decided this game wasn't crappy enough to continue with for this thread.

I've got 9 more games to go through (and believe me, high school story was easily the very best one I tried), so prepare yourselves next time for the horror of the Easy-Bake Oven Simulator and Extreme Closeup Toenail Clipping '99.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 18, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ENJOY YOUR CRAPPY should be at the end of the OP.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
That ... Actually kind of looks like a fun game.

Also everybody knows that the best girl game is Civilization V, where Wu Zetian can just steamroll anybody who looks at her in a funny way if she so desires.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Mr. Swoon posted:

Knowing as much as I do about marketing, these games are slowly ebbing away at my soul. Each of these games had at least a week's worth of research and planning, and a ton of effort going into it conceptually. It's actually pretty disgusting.

Whoa whoa, please make a post about this!

I'd love to try and make some videos for this, can I ask how you're capturing the game footage? Is it just a screen capture that you've cropped in the video editor or what?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Captain_duck posted:

What is the first princess maker-type game?

This terrifying thing might count. PROGRAM YOUR FACE

Peach Style
Nov 10, 2003

Stumbling upon a random flash site, I explored through the many categories of games it had and wondered, "What would be a girl game?" Among 1,000 choices, very few stood out as typical "girl games", such as the 5 - Hannah Montana games, the 10 Beiber games, 93 Cooking games, and 119 Fashion games. However, I was drawn to the Wedding Category.

This should be good right?

The icons didn't leave much to the imagination, except for the last game called "The Scared Groom".
http://www.2flashgames.com/f/f-The-Scared-Groom-7807.htm

I had my doubts, but this surprised me as being an actual game.

You start off with a menu for difficulties and levels. The pink highlighted levels are the ones you're allowed to play. Upon completion of a level, you ascend to the next level.

Synopsis: your groom has cold feet. It's your job to grab him and get him to the church before the time runs out. Drag your mouse to create a path and show your bride where to go. Simple enought, right?

Not exactly...

After dragging your groom reverse Caveman Style to the church, you succeed and receive points for forcing your man to marry you against his will.

With those points, you can buy bonuses to help 30 brides with their wedding day kidnapping.

What do these bonuses do?
Wedding shoes: Better wedding shoes have longer lasting footprints, so you can find your way easier. (This actually helps in later levels but you can buy them now.)
Lucky Horseshoe: The better horseshoe you have, the more points you can make after the time left.
Wedding dress: If you run out of wedding dresses, you can buy some.

Why would we need more than one wedding dress?! Well...

This is a memory game, the time starts as soon as you click Go and your the path disappears as soon as you begin your, um, hunt.

Some levels are unusually easy for it's difficulty.

Some are more difficult than they appear.

Levels with newly added rules require trial and error in order for you to figure out...

1) You cannot go to the church without your groom
2) You cannot see your groom without getting your rings (and bouquet).
3) If you even touch ANYTHING before doing what you're suppose to do, your day is RUINED and you're going to be alone forever. :smith:

The job of the bride never ends.

Um...

The difficulty certainly increases enough to emulate the same frustration (almost) every bride experiences when her groom ditches her on her wedding day, as she's blinded by her rage in a sea of pink to look for both of their wedding bands, her bouquet, AND her soon-to-be husband and get to the church on time.

Yeah, gently caress this.

I didn't finish all the levels - in fact, stopped at level 23 once I ran out of wedding dresses.

After going through a few levels of this game, I completely forgot about the plot. It was unusually fun and challenging to play and I hope that you give it a try. :unsmith:

Vicco
Sep 13, 2010

gegi posted:

For a dressing-up game that I can recommend as actually being fun (and a game), I present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDkcm7T3ssA

Late, but when I first saw the title, I thought it referred to Jojo's Bizzare Adventure.

That would have probably been a much better game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deltasquid posted:

Also everybody knows that the best girl game is Civilization V, where Wu Zetian can just steamroll anybody who looks at her in a funny way if she so desires.

No actually, not at all.
It's one of those village games where you farmville your way to nowhere.
Glorified tapping and literal robot style tap here to do poo poo.

Also IAPs shitloads of expensive IAPs where you can pay more than a full console game's worth in money and get zip-de-nada in terms of gameplay.

Hell most good mobile games are behind a 99c-2.99 money barrier.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deltasquid posted:

Ha - Just today I played a game where Wu got gobbled up almost immediately... By Catherine the Great, who happens to be perhaps the most problematic female character in the game, design wise.

Anyway, I just came here to say that the Selena Gomez caricature in the first video looks like Jerri Blank from Strangers With Candy. Needless to say it made the game quite disturbing.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This is a pretty interesting thread. I too spend a lot of time playing dress up at character creation screens.

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention a company called Hanako Games. It's a one person studio run by a gal named Georgina Bensley, and was pretty much founded on the idea that games for girls don't have be just dress up bull poo poo like so many flash games. Her best known game is the relatively recent "Long Live The Queen." I've not played any of her other games, but LLTQ is pretty fantastic.

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE

SelenicMartian posted:

Any brave souls willing to tackle all of Nancy Drew?

I've only played one of them, but it wasn't bad at all. It was just a basic adventure game, really. Two of the girls you can call are really chatty about boys, but other than that it's a pretty straight-forward young adult mystery game.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
It's worth noting in the light of Panzer's search that I did an iPhone App Store search for "games for boys", and all I got were, well, games.

Captain_duck posted:

I'm thinking of doing a video on the history of girl games, in which i show girl games from different console era's to see how the graphics and gameplay (d)evolves. But I'm having problems finding interesting games to show, especially in the pre-PS1 days.

This pretty excellent Polygon article about the rise of games and game marketing being specifically targeted at boys (and men) posits that it happened in the 90s, around the time the PS1 came along. So arguably before that girl games were just games.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Re: Samus talk earlier.
In the earlier Metroid games Samus is described as being really buff, because hey she's a woman who kicks rear end so hard and so frequently she was often assumed to be a robot. Super Metroid is easily my favorite game and I remember being blown away when I found out she was a woman, 8 year-old me thought that was real cool. Since I've always played as a woman in just about any game that has the option as homage to my favorite video game hero.
drat did I ever laugh hard at that guy who made Other M to replace the Prime trilogy, which occasionally touched on Samus's softer side about 1000x better and more subtle than Other M. It's totally spite too because the Prime trilogy takes place before Super Metroid where Other M takes place after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acquire Currency! posted:

Re: Samus talk earlier.
In the earlier Metroid games Samus is described as being really buff, because hey she's a woman who kicks rear end so hard and so frequently she was often assumed to be a robot. Super Metroid is easily my favorite game and I remember being blown away when I found out she was a woman, 8 year-old me thought that was real cool. Since I've always played as a woman in just about any game that has the option as homage to my favorite video game hero.
drat did I ever laugh hard at that guy who made Other M to replace the Prime trilogy, which occasionally touched on Samus's softer side about 1000x better and more subtle than Other M. It's totally spite too because the Prime trilogy takes place before Super Metroid where Other M takes place after.

For reference, back when Super Metroid came out, Samus looked like this. This is also probably the last time the armor looks like it could fit a human being in it, too. Later on the arms don't appear to attach to her shoulders and instead come straight out of the pauldrons, and the waist can't fit a human in it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 19, 2014

• Locked thread