Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

The first time someone chocked me out completely was with a gi-choke, and I remember doing things to counter it that didn't actually happen. Apparently my brain made up a story on its own that had no root in what actually happened.

I've had three guys go out on me over the years, all blue or purple belts who know when to tap, not guys trying to be prideful and hulk through stuff.. All were only out for maybe 20-30 seconds. One has no idea what happened, just went out and came back. The second thought he had just woken up in the morning and was worried he was late to his 8 AM class. The third had a complete dream involving spending a regular day with his ex-girlfriend.

It's always freaky when a guy goes out, all three have happened to me from guard, so they just kinda go limp and fall on top of you and start snoring.

The closest I've come to going out was at a Judo competition. I was turtled up and the other guy was using his knuckles to work his way into a choke. I was so pissed off at him using a pain technique like that at a local comptition that I decided not to tap. And since it was all blood I just looked the ref in the eye and tried to look bored. I must have succeeded because just as the world was starting to close off he stood us up. As I stood up the blood rushed back to my head and I honestly believed I was wearing a turban (I don't have the video anymore, but I stood there for a few seconds patting the back of my head trying to find it).

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
The first time i was about to be choked unconscious was a gi choke from guard and the only thing i tried to do was frantically break his grip with zero technique what so ever. The weird thing is that you don't really feel like you need to tap because you feel you are doing fine, you can still breath and there is hardly any pain, just pressure.

And of course i didn't tap :smug:

(The bell saved my rear end)

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
There's a 'sweet spot' with carotid chokes that basically puts you out instantly. I've had it happen a couple times, once while my instructor was demonstrating hadaka jime on me. I remember having my hands in my lap, and as soon as he had my lapels against my neck things started going fuzzy, so I reached up to tap and apparently started snoring before I had even raised my arms past stomach level. I've never seen it happen in no-gi, but I've come close to going out instantly while trying to troubleshoot someone's RNC before.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've definitely had several situations where I've been close to going out, where I manage to escape from a choke just as the walls start closing in. Even when you get out, if it was on tight enough you might need a second or two to fully recover as the blood blows back to your brain. It's pretty rad.

As an interesting note, one thing I do remember from passing out was that sound disappeared before visuals-- however, I'm not sure how much I trust this memory, as it could just be something my brain made up once I came to again.

E; I've been properly rocked from punches and such too, but the most interesting one was in the open class of a bjj competition, where a dude who had 60 pounds on me slammed me into the mat. I recovered almost instantly and fought on, but I recall sound cutting out and seeing nothing but TV-signal like white noise for what felt like a second. Seeing stars, I guess.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 27, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

E; I've been properly rocked from punches and such too, but the most interesting one was in the open class of a bjj competition, where a dude who had 60 pounds on me slammed me into the mat. I recovered almost instantly and fought on, but I recall sound cutting out and seeing nothing but TV-signal like white noise for what felt like a second. Seeing stars, I guess.

That's a concussion.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Heh, must have been a very light one, then. My head was completely fine afterwards. Guess I had a slight headache. But that was like.. almost two years ago now.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
A concussion won't necessarily give you a headache. It's a bruise on your brain from being knocked around in its container and your brain doesn't "feel" anything.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've definitely had several situations where I've been close to going out, where I manage to escape from a choke just as the walls start closing in. Even when you get out, if it was on tight enough you might need a second or two to fully recover as the blood blows back to your brain. It's pretty rad.

As an interesting note, one thing I do remember from passing out was that sound disappeared before visuals-- however, I'm not sure how much I trust this memory, as it could just be something my brain made up once I came to again.

When I was doing BJJ there was a Judo guy that came in and apparently had a bad reputation. All he had was an Ezekial choke with an insane grip. He got my white belt rear end in it but I felt like I could work out of it. I blacked out and woke up to him tapping to an armbar. Instructor said I just popped my left leg over his face and drove my hips like a bat out of hell. I felt pretty rad.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

KidDynamite posted:

I blacked out and woke up to him tapping to an armbar. ..... I felt pretty rad.

That's because it IS pretty fuckin' rad.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hmm, I was clocked by one of the old boxers who come to our gym with a right hook - which I "blocked" by a glove glued to the left side of my head - so hard the hit left me standing in bright fields of swimming white light and completely deaf. It took me a few seconds to find out where I was. Sure, I was still standing when I woke up and everything, but for a blink had no idea what was going on and couldn't hear a thing.

Was I concussed :confused:

edit: I've been knocked senseless but still on my feet before, but that was one of the two times I've been reduced to seeing white (and not hearing anything) when I still placed a glove between the incoming fist/foot and my head. I'm guessing it isn't that healthy in the long run.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 28, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

Hmm, I was clocked by one of the old boxers who come to our gym with a right hook - which I "blocked" by a glove glued to the left side of my head - so hard the hit left me standing in bright fields of swimming white light and completely deaf. It took me a few seconds to find out where I was. Sure, I was still standing when I woke up and everything, but for a blink had no idea what was going on and couldn't hear a thing.

Was I concussed :confused:

edit: I've been knocked senseless but still on my feet before, but that was one of the two times I've been reduced to seeing white (and not hearing anything) when I still placed a glove between the incoming fist/foot and my head. I'm guessing it isn't that healthy in the long run.

I've never had a hit leave me deaf before but I've def had the polaroid vision as I like to call it. The worst is when you get hit with a nice upper and your vision slows down and then the frames of vision as your head was lifted up come into frame with black around them because your brain is working to catch up.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Last day in new york and last training at Marcelo Garcia's over. Kind of disappointed I didn't earn my blue belt while I was here, but welp, what can you do. Back to being a white belt forever, I guess.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Bohemian Nights posted:

Last day in new york and last training at Marcelo Garcia's over. Kind of disappointed I didn't earn my blue belt while I was here, but welp, what can you do. Back to being a white belt forever, I guess.
I'm sure I will get roasted for my opinion on this, but here goes:

If you want to compete with other blue belts, go enroll in some blue belt divisions, wear a white belt. (If people get butt hurt, say you forgot your blue belt at home. Or you think you're at blue belt level.) If you win, you win.

Lather, rinse, repeat. No one can argue with the results. If you do pretty well consistently with other blues in various competitions, then give yourself your own blue belt.

Of course you can always go with the latest and Gracie pyramid scheme. (Video grading) But I think competitive results is a far better analysis of how far along you are in your BJJ journey.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 29, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
To save even more time do the same with your black belt.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
What's the rush to be graded? It's just a belt. Keep training hard, show regular improvement and you'll get it eventually.

Don't be disappointed for not being graded it's a long road to black

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
I'm looking to buy a gi for bjj. Right now, cheapness without too much crappiness is my concern. In that vein, am I screwing myself over here?

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Fuji-Brazilian-Jiu-Jitsu-Single-Weave-White-Gi-p/fuj-1001.htm

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Fuji isn't bad, quite a few guys at my club have them and for a price like that you can't go wrong. It's no koral or atama but it'll do perfectly fine. Very well priced.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Niethan, you're so grumpy these days. Do you want your old avatar back? I'll pay for it if it means you go back to being your old self :ohdear:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Senor P. posted:

I'm sure I will get roasted for my opinion on this, but here goes:

If you want to compete with other blue belts, go enroll in some blue belt divisions, wear a white belt. (If people get butt hurt, say you forgot your blue belt at home. Or you think you're at blue belt level.) If you win, you win.

Lather, rinse, repeat. No one can argue with the results. If you do pretty well consistently with other blues in various competitions, then give yourself your own blue belt.

Of course you can always go with the latest and Gracie pyramid scheme. (Video grading) But I think competitive results is a far better analysis of how far along you are in your BJJ journey.

Does this really work in BJJ? It totally wouldn't fly in kendo, though we don't have belts.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I don't think "I beat a blue belt at a comp so I just started wearing one" would get you invited to the intermediate classes where I train.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
I think he meant it more as a personal affirmation. Like, you may not have been "officially" given that grading, but in your heart you know where you are.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Can someone talk me through choosing a cup for protecting my goolies? I've had a couple of very unpleasant accidents, and I'd like to avoid another.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Smegmatron posted:

I don't think "I beat a blue belt at a comp so I just started wearing one" would get you invited to the intermediate classes where I train.
That's why I said multiple competitions. If you consistently do well in several blue belt competitions, I don't really see anything stopping someone from given themselves their own blue belt.

I'm not talking about "oh tapping at one blue belt at a competition, whoop dee doo". I'm talking about getting in first through third place in a division with 7 to 10 other competitiors who are well seasoned, and doing this multiple times.

Heaven forbid you have a job where you have to move around quite a bit.

Besides most people tend to ask "How long have you been training and in what?" Blue belts are a dime a dozen in BJJ and just having one is not really a good indicator of skill level.

It's the skills that are important, not someones frilly little belt color.

tarepanda posted:

Does this really work in BJJ? It totally wouldn't fly in kendo, though we don't have belts.

It's not the norm. But low ranks (stripes for your blue belt and blue belt) are typically all in-house from gym to gym. (Unless you're maybe Gracie Barra affiliated.) An instructor might list who they've given a rank to and who they haven't on a website, but that's about it.

A blue belt in BJJ might take anywhere from 1 year to 3 years to reach. Which is really just getting the basics down and learning things.

Doesn't kendo tend to do something like this for the kyu ranks? (The dan ranks tend to actually be the ones that matter, and get reported to whatever kendo federation.)

ManicParroT posted:

Can someone talk me through choosing a cup for protecting my goolies? I've had a couple of very unpleasant accidents, and I'd like to avoid another.
Shock doctor tends to be pretty popular among folks here. This is what I used to use, http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 29, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Senor P. posted:

Doesn't kendo tend to do something like this for the kyu ranks? (The dan ranks tend to actually be the ones that matter, and get reported to whatever kendo federation.)

Yeah, the ones below 1-kyuu are all done in the dojo, but since we don't have belts and you need your sensei's approval to test for 1-kyuu, it seems pointless to jump yourself around. Tournament structure basically makes this impossible too.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I can't disagree with Senor P enough. If you give yourself a belt it's meaningless, so why even bother?

More importantly, winning in competition isn't proof you deserve a belt. Everyone's seen a division where a wrestler with no real submission or guard game(or often passing) to speak of takes everyone down and win on points. Everyone's also seen guys win on the basis of a strong guard game while being terrible on top. Winning in competition obviously means you have a good deal of skill for your rank, but it doesn't say anything about how well rounded you are.

Also, when people ask you where you got your blue belt from if you reply "I gave it to myself" everyone is going to think your a clown, regardless of how well you do in competition.

Bohemian Nights - Where do you train? Have you or your school looked into becoming affiliated with someone? In addition to earning rank in a more legitimate fashion, getting access to high level jiu jitsu a couple times a year is going to be a big deal if you're training group consists of mostly beginner and mid-level guys.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

dokomoy posted:

I can't disagree with Senor P enough. If you give yourself a belt it's meaningless, so why even bother?

More importantly, winning in competition isn't proof you deserve a belt. Everyone's seen a division where a wrestler with no real submission or guard game(or often passing) to speak of takes everyone down and win on points. Everyone's also seen guys win on the basis of a strong guard game while being terrible on top. Winning in competition obviously means you have a good deal of skill for your rank, but it doesn't say anything about how well rounded you are.

Also, when people ask you where you got your blue belt from if you reply "I gave it to myself" everyone is going to think your a clown, regardless of how well you do in competition.

Bohemian Nights - Where do you train? Have you or your school looked into becoming affiliated with someone? In addition to earning rank in a more legitimate fashion, getting access to high level jiu jitsu a couple times a year is going to be a big deal if you're training group consists of mostly beginner and mid-level guys.
I'm somewhere in the middle of senor p and this. On one hand, if you 'give' yourself a belt, then eh its not the best. For the higher ranked belts it matters, BUT no one cares where you got your blue belt from.

That being said, if you're going to tournaments and beating other blue belts consistently, you're a blue belt. It doesn't matter if you're well rounded or not - if you're beating most blues - even with the exact same blueprint - you're a blue.

My gym doesn't really have much of a formal belting system, as we're almost all no-gi and we all roll because we love it, not because we want to be moved up in ranks. But we do have some guys who like to roll gi, and work hard at it. The standard we use is, go to a comp and win the white belts a couple of times and you're a blue. As senor P said, you really can't argue with results.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

dokomoy posted:

How does the blue belt hold meaning that is more than just memories, sweat, and tears? How does rewarding yourself with your own blue belt negate this? Other then that, what is the meaning of it that you're talking about? (Certainly it might represent a coach and student's relationship. But granting your own does not make this magically disappear.)

Case in point, we've seen descriptions of folks going to a seminar with whatever high ranking BJJ folk of the day, and getting awarded blue belts. People the guest instructor does not even know, he does not know their personality, their history, or anything. Is that not just as bad?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 29, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

dokomoy posted:

Back home I train out of Tromsų Jujitsuklubb (Which is way up north in Norway), which is a traditional jujitsu club, albeit with a grappling focus. We do gradings in traditional jujitsu, and I've got a very colourful belt for TJJ, but for some reason I just don't care about tjj grades V:shobon:V
Also yeah, we've looked into getting an affiliation like some of the other smaller clubs around the country. One alternative is Roy Harris, but it would be even better if we could work out some deal with Trond Saksenvik's crew down in the capitol, but nothing solid has come from it so far.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I also disagree with Senor P and imtheism. BJJ rank doesn't just mean competition performance although competition performance is one critical component. BJJ rank also encompasses knowing, understanding and being able to execute in a live situation a particular curriculum of technique. I've seen at the low levels including white and blue belt a lot of one trick ponies and excellent athletes do well in competition but this alone isn't enough for promotion. They have to at least be able to know and execute certain fundamentals or else we'd just promote every guy with a fast shot to blue belt on the spot. My gym is a competition oriented one and we still expect a certain combination of knowledge, ability and performance to be promoted.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, the ones below 1-kyuu are all done in the dojo, but since we don't have belts and you need your sensei's approval to test for 1-kyuu, it seems pointless to jump yourself around. Tournament structure basically makes this impossible too.

It'd be pretty tough to pretend you're a higher rank than you are. The only way I can think of is for someone to go to a tournament nowhere near where they normally train and compete only in individuals. Even then they may require some sort of proof you are the rank you say you are. The kendo world is pretty small so that most people know each other.

The other possibility is if you practice at a korean dojo and compete in a tourney run by a Japanese federation or vice versa.

The only reason you would even want to do that, though, is if you've been training for years and just never bothered to test. Otherwise, 99% of the time you're gonna be absolutely destroyed.

Most tournaments are set up for mudansha (all kyu levels so tough poo poo if you're like 6kyu and they put you against a 1kyu) then, depending on number of judges, 1-2dan, and 3dan+.

Edit: I should say the above is mostly with regards to kendo in the US. In Japan I don't even want to think about what would happen if they found out you lied about your rank in order to compete in a higher bracket.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 30, 2011

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Yuns posted:

I also disagree with Senor P and imtheism. BJJ rank doesn't just mean competition performance although competition performance is one critical component. BJJ rank also encompasses knowing, understanding and being able to execute in a live situation a particular curriculum of technique. I've seen at the low levels including white and blue belt a lot of one trick ponies and excellent athletes do well in competition but this alone isn't enough for promotion. They have to at least be able to know and execute certain fundamentals or else we'd just promote every guy with a fast shot to blue belt on the spot. My gym is a competition oriented one and we still expect a certain combination of knowledge, ability and performance to be promoted.

For purple+, I think knowledge/roundedness matters. For blue, whatever.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Had my first judo competition on Saturday. Two losses, one win. The win wasn't very good. I'm in the 100kg+ category. My opponent was 101kg. I was 135kg. I just bullied him into a pin. I think my first loss was the better match and a better performance on my end even though I got nailed with an uchimata.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

z0331 posted:

It'd be pretty tough to pretend you're a higher rank than you are. The only way I can think of is for someone to go to a tournament nowhere near where they normally train and compete only in individuals. Even then they may require some sort of proof you are the rank you say you are.

Yeah, that's why I said that it would be pretty much impossible to do what he suggested in kendo.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Senor P. posted:

Shock doctor tends to be pretty popular among folks here. This is what I used to use, http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx

I've got one of these, I rate them. They kind of float so it doesn't bother you most of the time, but it's there when it needs to be. Only piece of advice is to weird underwear underneath the compression shorts, to keep your junk in order beneath it.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've always had mixed feelings about blue belts.

Mostly because I've wrestled with them constantly at tournaments and drilled with them all the time at practice. It seems like the people who really care become blue belts, get their conditioning in place, and get really good before going purple.

The blue belts I wrestle with all seem really out of shape and lazy, but that's because they're normal people who don't care about being the best.

EDIT:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've got one of these, I rate them. They kind of float so it doesn't bother you most of the time, but it's there when it needs to be. Only piece of advice is to weird underwear underneath the compression shorts, to keep your junk in order beneath it.

Yeah this is the one pair of cup shorts I bought that doesn't smash your balls

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 30, 2011

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Had my first judo competition on Saturday. Two losses, one win. The win wasn't very good. I'm in the 100kg+ category. My opponent was 101kg. I was 135kg. I just bullied him into a pin. I think my first loss was the better match and a better performance on my end even though I got nailed with an uchimata.

When starting out in judo, I found that the most important thing was to just get fights in under my belt. Worrying about the quality of my performance was counterproductive.

Keep on fighting! One win is much better than no wins, and I'm sure you have a laundry list of things you want to work on when you get back on the mat.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Yuns posted:

Definitely this.

Athleticism or being a good wrestler often wins white belt tournaments by the heap. Are those people automatically knowledgable enough to be a blue belt in brazillian jiujitsu? That has not been tested. Lots of good wrestlers loving suck at jiujitsu. They win white belt tournaments but then cant get their head out of their rear end to actually learn jiujitsu or good technique.

You can't give yourself rank in BJJ. You can give yourself rank in whatever martial art you make up though. And you can tell (and prove) to other people that the blue belt in say, imtheism jiujiutsu, is equal to a brazilian jiujitsu blue belt.

Only a person 'In' Brazilian Jiujitsu can give you a rank in Brazilian jiujitsu.

Otherwise I'd give myself a (Kyokushin) karate black belt right here because I feel my striking is at that level :)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Syphilis Fish posted:

Definitely this.

Athleticism or being a good wrestler often wins white belt tournaments by the heap. Are those people automatically knowledgable enough to be a blue belt in brazillian jiujitsu? That has not been tested. Lots of good wrestlers loving suck at jiujitsu. They win white belt tournaments but then cant get their head out of their rear end to actually learn jiujitsu or good technique.

You can't give yourself rank in BJJ. You can give yourself rank in whatever martial art you make up though. And you can tell (and prove) to other people that the blue belt in say, imtheism jiujiutsu, is equal to a brazilian jiujitsu blue belt.

Only a person 'In' Brazilian Jiujitsu can give you a rank in Brazilian jiujitsu.

Otherwise I'd give myself a (Kyokushin) karate black belt right here because I feel my striking is at that level :)

http://www.mararts.org/members.htm You can be a Judan in anything you want.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Syphilis Fish posted:

Definitely this.

Yeah the bolded part is basically me. Where that sticks in my case is when the blue belts at my gym aren't a good enough example of what you can become when you line up conditioning and practice. I shouldn't be able to submit them the majority of the time just by being more athletic if they're really deserving of their rank, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

Yeah the bolded part is basically me. Where that sticks in my case is when the blue belts at my gym aren't a good enough example of what you can become when you line up conditioning and practice. I shouldn't be able to submit them the majority of the time just by being more athletic if they're really deserving of their rank, right?

depends on how big you are, what your previous experience is and how big they are. Are they athletic vs non-athletic. Its all so individual.

But generally, against a blue belt of equal size, a (new) white belt, should get schooled. Maybe your school has a lower standard for blue belts. But there is a difference between competition and knowledge and a brazillian jiujitsu rank signifies a certain level in both I'd say.

(Not if you're a college wrestler. Or state chap. But otherwise, if you just wrestled a bit in high school, a blue belt your size should get taken down by you but then he should submit you time and again.)

• Locked thread