Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Redshirt's idea is well good imo. You could also have aliens taking issue with the Federation basically being imperialistic by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's certainly better than the generic grimdark LET'S MAKE IT ALL EVIL THE FEDERATION FALLS AND THE CREW BECOMES EVIL MIRDER GANGS AAAAGH. Trek needs some optimism. Challenge it, sure, but destroying it for the sake of it is just stupid and kewl gritty poo poo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MikeJF posted:

It's certainly better than the generic grimdark LET'S MAKE IT ALL EVIL THE FEDERATION FALLS AND THE CREW BECOMES EVIL MIRDER GANGS AAAAGH. Trek needs some optimism. Challenge it, sure, but destroying it for the sake of it is just stupid and kewl gritty poo poo.

i dunno i think the breakdown of morals/fed values to secure a way home, the whole ends justify the means and where does one draw the line is the next logical step from ds9. tos leads to tng leads to ds9 leads to voy to the very end and andromeda.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Disco Infiva posted:

As they travel, they gather more and more ships. When they finally reach Federation, Janeway goes crazy(er) and invades, establishing an United Confederation of Planets with Janeway as supreme ruler. Mandatory hair buns instituted.

the reason there was no mirror universe ep for voyager is because they were the mirror universe all along :aaaaa:

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the reason there was no mirror universe ep for voyager is because they were the mirror universe all along :aaaaa:

Well, what's the reason for no mirror universe episodes in TNG then, Mr. Smartypants? :colbert:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Reboot Delta Quadrant is filled with rape gangs. It's edgier.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

TheCenturion posted:

What Voyager should have been.

Man, you've just made watching what Voyager actually is that much suckier.

Tuvok slowly breaking down over the series would have been fantastic, and quite plausible with the way Tim Russ portrayed him. He seemed constantly annoyed, like he was trying to be a Good Vulcan, but that underneath it all he HATED meditation, kal-toh and stupid, crappy Vulcan music with its flutes and finger cymbals, BUT THAT'S WHAT GOOD VULCANS LIKE. Vorik, on the other hand, was okay with not being a good Vulcan - at work, he's all Starfleet and Logic and poo poo, but once he's back in his cabin, he puts some King Crimson on and smokes some bowls.

Also needed more Ferengi.

But well written Ferengi - I admit that I liked all the Ferengi episodes in DS9. But the best Ferengi episodes were the ones where Nog would get involved in long chains of trade and barter - which seemed more in line with the idea of the Great Material Continuum. The episode where Miles nearly gets killed because Nog, under Miles' authorization, temporarily trades away Sisko's desk and Martok's blood wine collection in order to obtain some part that Miles needs to fix the Defiant within some impossible timeframe that Sisko gave him was brilliant. The Ferengi as a planet of Milo Minderbenders from Catch-22 would have been much more effective than the lovely car salesmen they usually were portayed as.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

TheHomerTax posted:

Well, what's the reason for no mirror universe episodes in TNG then, Mr. Smartypants? :colbert:

Voyager is mirror universe of TNG :psypop:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Man, you've just made watching what Voyager actually is that much suckier.

Tuvok slowly breaking down over the series would have been fantastic, and quite plausible with the way Tim Russ portrayed him. He seemed constantly annoyed, like he was trying to be a Good Vulcan, but that underneath it all he HATED meditation, kal-toh and stupid, crappy Vulcan music with its flutes and finger cymbals, BUT THAT'S WHAT GOOD VULCANS LIKE. Vorik, on the other hand, was okay with not being a good Vulcan - at work, he's all Starfleet and Logic and poo poo, but once he's back in his cabin, he puts some King Crimson on and smokes some bowls.

Worf, Torres, Tuvok, man "I just want to be the best <whatever> I can be" was kind of a theme in Star Trek wasn't it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spock and Worf both had major inferiority complexes about their cultures, due to Spock being half-human and Worf being an adopted Russian. Tuvok didn't really have any issues with his Vulcan-ness, he was just kinda annoyed all the time, but who wouldn't be under those circumstances. And Torres hated her Klingonality.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Elissimpark posted:

Vorik, on the other hand, was okay with not being a good Vulcan - at work, he's all Starfleet and Logic and poo poo, but once he's back in his cabin, he puts some King Crimson on and smokes some bowls.

*Op Console beeps*
Harry Kim: Captain. Someone is attempting to override the replicator safety protocols.
Janeway: Source?
Harry Kim: *presses some buttons* Ensign Vorik's quarters, sir.
Janeway: Tuvok, get a security team town there. *Tuvok wordlessly leaves the room*
Chakotay: Any idea what he's trying to do?
Harry Kim: He appears to be attempting to replicate... cannibis.
*Janeway exchanges a worried glance with another bridge officer*
Janeway: Can you block him out?
Harry Kim: I'm trying, but he's too fast. I'd say by now Ensign Vorik is high as gently caress.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Video Viddy Games posted:

i dunno i think the breakdown of morals/fed values to secure a way home, the whole ends justify the means and where does one draw the line is the next logical step from ds9. tos leads to tng leads to ds9 leads to voy to the very end and andromeda.

Andromeda had SO MUCH GODDAMN POTENTIAL until loving KEVIN SORBO forced them to turn it into HERCULES IN SPAAAAAAACE. :sadfan:

Oy, Netflix or HBO or somebody. Reboot loving Andromeda, proper-like. In this post BSG world, it would fly, and it could be glorious.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
The Year of Hell was one of the only Voyager episodes I liked, because it actually showed what it might be like for a Federation ship trapped in a hostile quadrant. The ship is in shambles, half the crew is dead, they keep getting gang banged by hostile aliens, and occasionally the evil dude from Robocop shows up in his time ship to really gently caress them over. This is what the entire show should have been, and what the BSG remake basically was. Great episode from an otherwise horribly written show.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 3, 2014

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

TheCenturion posted:

Andromeda had SO MUCH GODDAMN POTENTIAL until loving KEVIN SORBO forced them to turn it into HERCULES IN SPAAAAAAACE. :sadfan:

Oy, Netflix or HBO or somebody. Reboot loving Andromeda, proper-like. In this post BSG world, it would fly, and it could be glorious.

The former showrunner's ideas for how the show was supposed to play out (published after he got "fired").
http://www.cyberspace5.net/agentrichard07/coda-script.htm
TL;DR: The big bad is actually God/love and they've been fighting all this time for chaos but isn't chaos more fun?.

quote:

During the production of the second season, Wolfe claims that he and the studio quarreled over the non-episodic nature of the show and the studio's requests for "more aliens, more space battles, and less internal conflict,"[2][3] eventually resulting in his departure. Actor Kevin Sorbo confirmed the statements, saying that Wolfe, "is a genius, but was developing stories that were too complicated."[2]
TOO COMPLICATED, MOAR SPACE BABES & GUNS ~ Kevin Sorbo

n3wt fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 3, 2014

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Elissimpark posted:

Tuvok slowly breaking down over the series would have been fantastic, and quite plausible with the way Tim Russ portrayed him. He seemed constantly annoyed, like he was trying to be a Good Vulcan, but that underneath it all he HATED meditation, kal-toh and stupid, crappy Vulcan music with its flutes and finger cymbals, BUT THAT'S WHAT GOOD VULCANS LIKE.

I always got the impression that what annoyed Tuvok was all the dipshits on Voyager, not trying to be a Vulcan. He seemed to have that Vulcan poo poo down but had a short temper for humans (and Neelix) insisting he not behave like a Vulcan.

Tuvok clearly enjoyed playing his lute, missed having it with him but obviously wasn't going "waste replicator rations" by re-creating it & it always annoyed me that Janeway didn't just replicate him a loving lute & insist he keep it. Like, bitch, you've known him for years, you know he misses his goddamn lute. He mentions it aloud a couple times. That one time everyone was hallucinating the thing they wanted most Tuvok hallucinated his wife & his lute. There's an otherwise terrible episode about these aliens that age backwards & when they are old they are little kids that get eaten by a cave or some poo poo & Tuvok sings them a Vulcan lullaby & it's like drat Tuvok is a better character than this show deserves.

Trixie Hardcore fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 3, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I always got the impression that what annoyed Tuvok was all the dipshits on Voyager, not trying to be a Vulcan. He seemed to have that Vulcan poo poo down but had a short temper for humans (and Neelix) insisting he not behave like a Vulcan.

Tuvok clearly enjoyed playing his lute, missed having it with him but obviously wasn't going "waste replicator rations" by re-creating it & it always annoyed me that Janeway didn't just replicate him a loving lute & insist he keep it. Like, bitch, you've known him for years, you know he misses his goddamn lute. He mentions it aloud a couple times. That one time everyone was hallucinating the thing they wanted most Tuvok hallucinated his wife & his lute. There's an otherwise terrible episode about these aliens that age backwards & when they are old they are little kids that get eaten by a cave or some poo poo & Tuvok sings them a Vulcan lullaby & it's like drat Tuvok is a better character than this show deserves.

It's all symptoms of the same wasted potential. Every character has a ton of interesting poo poo in their background that doesn't come out on screen ever because the writers were all hacks. Even Neelix, when they meet him, is this kinda spazzy rogueish guy who apparently loots abandoned ships and such to make a living. He even shows a bit of an evil streak when he shoots holes in the water tanks that Voyager traded to the Kazon for Kes. But like two episodes later he's just a goofy looking alien guy who loves to cook and kowtow to everyone.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like it must be in Neelix's contract that once every episode he gets to look like his feelings are hurt.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Even Neelix, when they meet him, is this kinda spazzy rogueish guy who apparently loots abandoned ships and such to make a living. He even shows a bit of an evil streak when he shoots holes in the water tanks that Voyager traded to the Kazon for Kes. But like two episodes later he's just a goofy looking alien guy who loves to cook and kowtow to everyone.

Neelix is such an abominable character. You could probably put JarJar Binks in his place & have a better character because JarJar at least wouldn't be emotionally abusive to his one year old girlfriend.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

*Op Console beeps*
Harry Kim: Captain. Someone is attempting to override the replicator safety protocols.
Janeway: Tuvok, get a security team town there. *Tuvok wordlessly leaves the room*
Harry Kim: I'm trying, but he's too fast. I'd say by now Ensign Vorik is high as gently caress. I CAN'T, I'M LOCKED OUT :saddowns:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Janeway would totally give some crew member who tried to smoke up a sanctimonious, moralizing speech about keeping your composure in the face of adversity, and then immediately go get tag teamed by John Rhys-Davies and a potato farmer on the holodeck.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Clark Nova posted:

Janeway would totally give some crew member who tried to smoke up a sanctimonious, moralizing speech about keeping your composure in the face of adversity, and then immediately go get tag teamed by John Rhys-Davies and a potato farmer on the holodeck.

Janeway seemed pretty chill about drugs though. I mean Chakotay had that little peyote machine he used to go on "spirit journeys" with and one time she got high as gently caress on space peyote so she could meet her animal guide.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I never understood though why Janeway would go on the holodeck to have little Victorian kids talk poo poo at her. Like sure, if I had holotechnology I'd bang a fair share of Byronic heroes but come on, edit the kids & the crazy nanny out.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

The evolution of the mining ship Kuun-Lan was more Voyager than Voyager

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

brb reinstalling cataclysm lol

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
I like Star trek and I cannot lie
you other trekkers can't deny
that when Spock walks in with a theory about space
and Shatners in his face
you get nerd

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Disco Infiva posted:

Voyager is mirror universe of TNG :psypop:

Suddenly Nemesis makes more sense. Admiral Janeway isnt the psychopath that pointlessly got everyone stranded across the galaxy, but the competent captain that eliminated the Collector threat while getting her whole crew back home alive in the process. I guess Nemesis isnt so bad!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shat attack!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Federation ships are powered by a matter/antimatter reaction modulated by a dilithium crystal. Matter is easy to come by in the form of hydrogen. You can scoop it from gas giants, or your deflector dish can channel it to your bussard ramscoops as you move thru space. Antimatter is a lot trickier. It has to be created. Normally, a federation ship resupplies its antimatter at a starbase or by a tanker. However, a ship can create small amounts of antimatter by using a tremendous amount of energy to transform some hydrogen to anti-hydrogen.

So basically once a month or so, Voyager has to drop out of warp near a solar system, scoop some gas out of one of the gas giants, then spend a week sitting next to the star absorbing energy to make antimatter. This explains why it could take Voyager so long to move out of a section of space and why the Kazon could catch up.

Or, Voyager could buy antimatter from other races, perhaps by trade, or perhaps a alien race needs a neutral party to help them sort out a situation. Boom, justification for Voyager to stop and dick around with everyone they meet.

Im sure if a writer had tried to pitch that to an executive, his eyes would have glassed over at words like antimatter and dilithium, even tho every true trek fan is supposed to know this poo poo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I definitely agree, but to me that's part of it. He's annoyed by Neelix being Neelix, but he also seemed to be annoyed with himself being annoyed at Neelix and wanting to choke slam him into his lovely cooking, because a VULCAN! would never be annoyed at Neelix and want to choke slam him. And that's why he's seems so uptight and distant. But when he lets that go - like the planet of reverse-aging children - he seems happier and seems to realise that he can have those feelings, just not be dominated by them.

But then that's reset and he's just angry again. Like the Tuvix episode - I was expecting Neelix and Tuvok to learn something from the experience - nope.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

*Op Console beeps*
Harry Kim: I'm trying, but he's too fast. I'd say by now Ensign Vorik is high as gently caress.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Janeway seemed pretty chill about drugs though. I mean Chakotay had that little peyote machine he used to go on "spirit journeys" with and one time she got high as gently caress on space peyote so she could meet her animal guide.

On Voyager's bridge:
Chakotay: Captain, have you seen my akoonah? I need to, uh, go on a spirit guide to, uh, get some... advice.
Janeway: Riiiight...

Meanwhile in Ensign Vorik's quarters:
Seven-of-Nine: Ensign Vorik, placing this primitive toasting device into the bath while you are in it seems dangerous, not to mention inefficient. I can provide you several, more effective methods to achive the same effect.
Vorik: (waving a bat'leth) JUST THROW IT IN AT THE CLIMAX OF THE loving SONG. ITS loving LOGICAL.
Seven-of-Nine: *raises eyebrow questioningly
Seven-of-Nine: Ensign - is there an explanation as to why you have space-gaffer taped Commander Chakotay's akoonah to your crotch?
Vorik: COMPUTER - PLAY "WHITE RABBIT".

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Even Neelix had the potential to be a good character. Yea he was a lovely possessive boyfriend to Kes but he is basically a junk dealer from a species that got genocided in the galactic third world, no poo poo he was gonna be kind of a shifty/shady dude. It was actually a cool idea to have Voyager basically reliant on him as a guide and have him give basically this underclass/realistic perspective on stuff when he's like "don't even waste your time with these guys, they're assholes." Kind of reminds me how Sacajewa's husband in the Lewis and Clarke expedition was this totally abusive alcoholic rear end in a top hat cuz that's the kind of dude who tends to end up away from civilization on the frontier. I liked it whenever they hinted that his constant cheerful attitude was basically his cover for being an enormously messed up person who'd lived through an actual genocide and that one episode where he comes face to face with this guy who was basically Dr. Mangele to the Talaxians was p. good. Too bad they undermined the character by having this alleged self-sufficient survivor walk right into danger more often than Scooby Doo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat I think I've seen all of voyager twice and I remember absolutely nothing about any of that genocide poo poo.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Poor Tuvok, even Harry had his stupid loving flute. Incidentally how lol is it that tiger moms are still around in the 24th century

E: also what was great is how Neelix prides himself on being this worldly jack-of-all-trades and because of how Ocampans soak up knowledge Kes was basically completely better than him at all his own skills after like one year, in my head canon that's why he was always acting like Kes would leave him for the first Tom Paris to look her way

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 4, 2014

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Was her spirit animal a lemming, the most reckless of animals?

Edit: Nope, it was:

I think the spirits were just mocking her.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 4, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Early in the show, one of the interesting angles of Neelix I was waiting for them explore was that he was supposed to be a former soldier, a veteran of the war that destroyed many of his people. It would have been neat if his lovely jokes and terrible cooking and bullshit attitude were that way because being that way was basically his coping mechanism for PTSD. You don't have to get all grimdark about it, MASH (the series) is what I'm thinking of here.

Then they decided that Neelix was lying about it and was just exactly like he seemed on the surface.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's a Neelix 90's Space Dance Party Y'all!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Was her spirit animal a lemming, the most reckless of animals?

Edit: Nope, it was:

I think the spirits were just mocking her.

The spirits were foreshadowing her eventual transformation into a giant mudpuppy.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I never understood though why Janeway would go on the holodeck to have little Victorian kids talk poo poo at her. Like sure, if I had holotechnology I'd bang a fair share of Byronic heroes but come on, edit the kids & the crazy nanny out.

People of power and responsibility often desire to be treated like poo poo in their fantasy lives.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Trixie Hardcore posted:

That holo-program was working up to be some kind of paranormal poo poo like "The Others" or something. But, like the rest of Voyager, they never went anywhere with it.

That also reminds me, there's one episode of Voyager where (I think) Harry scoffs at the idea of viewing a 2D movie. Then Kes (who is like 2 years old) is like "no actually its pretty cool." So any time anybody wanted electronic entertainment they had to go to the holodeck? It's like one giant TV that everyone has to share.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

That holo-program was working up to be some kind of paranormal poo poo like "The Others" or something. But, like the rest of Voyager, they never went anywhere with it.

The whole ghost mom thing they were hinting at was because the program was a Jane Eyre rip off.

• Locked thread