Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Corridor posted:

I tend to sign into different access points, will my friend code change each time?

I don't think so, other games I've played only changed friend codes if I used the game on another DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Oh, fun fact. If you leave items in your online bazaar, they aren't available in-game until you remove them from your online bazaar - they don't automatically go back into your bag. Which is actually handy, because I don't really have that many spare slots at the moment and need to buy a storage upgrade in addition to all my crops.

If any goon wants to quickly run through a week or two with their farm to see if it has any effect on crop quality or growth speed, let me know! Still need to forage myself, though, so I don't want to g through a week of testing yet.

Once I finally unlock the last mill, this gives me some interesting thoughts about seed quality - it'd be a hell of a lot quicker to raise the crops quickly when I'm not shoving cows around and I could sell great seeds half-price for one crop while someone does the same for a different crop, saving time?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Just a heads up. The game where you could put your dog in the communal stew pot was Back to Nature on the PSOne. You could also fish out of it and you'd most likely fish up trash like sticks, dead fish, boots, cans... if you were lucky you'd get a fish.
Don't worry, your dog would be in the town square the next day perfectly fine. You could also put a chicken or I think a chick in the pot. They'd be gone the next day, because they generally never lived past a night.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

endolithic posted:

Hey Revol, if you're still in Fall and have time to buy extra seeds, I just bought a fall sun at one of my bazaars. I could put it in my bazaar items if you're interested.

I'm on Winter 2, second year now. :P

Corridor posted:

It's not as funny, but my new game manages to fit 'Animal' into the 6-character farm name and my sign says 4 LEGS GOOD, 2 LEGS BETTER. Don't you loving forget it, cow.

I am so loving jealous.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is it just me or are the multiple choice reputation dialogues at the bazaar really random and inconsistant? I've been looking over the cheat sheet at fogu and gently caress these are retarded. Half the time it's the same conversation worded slightly differently, but while giving a certain response will sometimes gain you tons of rep, it has the opposite effect half the time. Like "Hey can I have this item free? < No you have to pay" makes your rep drop, while "This item is so cute can I have it? < Only if you pay for it" gives you a big rep boost.

Also a guy shows up and says he's the famous comedy duo Ricky And Lucy. The best answer is "Ricky, where's Lucy?" and then you get a rep bonus and an I Love Lucy reference. "Luuuucy! You got some 'splainin' to do!" But if he says the exact same thing phrased in a different way, the best answer (out of the same three choices!) is "We've been expecting you".

:psyduck:

Revol posted:

I am so loving jealous.

It gets old fast. While it makes me feel totally :smug: to see an Orwell reference on my bigass sign every day, it's really just boring scribbly text. I wanna scrub it off and put rainbow dicks or something but I can't because then it RUINS THE FARM NAME :argh:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It amuses me how the difference between training cats and dogs directly mirrors real life.

Dog training:
Rub dog, throw toy for dog, feed dog --> dog likes you and works better

Cat training:
this fucker makes no goddamn sense I'm going to kill it

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Zenzirouj posted:

It amuses me how the difference between training cats and dogs directly mirrors real life.

Dog training:
Rub dog, throw toy for dog, feed dog --> dog likes you and works better

Cat training:
this fucker makes no goddamn sense I'm going to kill it

This is why it is so amazing when people train a cat to do anything other then eat, sleep and poo poo.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cat has been living in my house for several weeks now. Stethescope analysis: "It thinks you are a stranger."
Cat apparently assumes that the house is its own and that food just turns up by divine will. "Who is that human that keeps wandering around MY house? :mad:"

Apocadall posted:

This is why it is so amazing when people train a cat to do anything other then eat, sleep and poo poo.

It's not that the ingame cat is especially hard to train, it's that it seriously makes no sense.

Especially the part where it races into the chicken coop, snatches up a baby chick in its slavering maw, then puts the bird safely in the pen. And in order to make it better at doing this, you give the cat a toy that emulates a tiny chirping helpless creature, which the cat will gleefully smack and hurl around the room.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

My biggest problem with Sunshine Islands was that it moved too drat fast. I got into the series on the leisurely pace of A Wonderful Life where I could spend a few hours on chores and then casually explore the town and talk to people and maybe get some mining or fishing done. The timing in Harvest Moon DS was acceptable to me however. How does Grand Bazaar stack up in that department?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Corridor posted:

Cat has been living in my house for several weeks now. Stethescope analysis: "It thinks you are a stranger."
Cat apparently assumes that the house is its own and that food just turns up by divine will. "Who is that human that keeps wandering around MY house? :mad:"

This probably isn't too far from how real cats act.

ZebTM posted:

My biggest problem with Sunshine Islands was that it moved too drat fast. I got into the series on the leisurely pace of A Wonderful Life where I could spend a few hours on chores and then casually explore the town and talk to people and maybe get some mining or fishing done. The timing in Harvest Moon DS was acceptable to me however. How does Grand Bazaar stack up in that department?

You can water an entire field and it only take an hour or two game time, they give a very generous amount of time to do stuff for your day.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Corridor posted:

"Hey can I have this item free? < No you have to pay"

gently caress that guy, I keep screwing up whenever he comes to me and says that, so I always lose my item. Thankfully he hasn't taken anything good yet, but I just want to hurl my cat at him.

Where do you get the items to train the animals anyways? I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, so I'd kind of like to train them so they're a bit more useful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, after playing around with it, it seems like both me and Corridor were a little right about training.

For cats, every single time they hit the bell they gain experience. You putting it in your pocket, or it flying out of the room or into the storage basket causes a friendship boost, and MAYBE a training boost. But I just saw my cat gain a training level in the middle of playing with the bell, so my theory seems likely.

With dogs, they gain experience every time they bring you back the bone, not just every fifth time. Every fifth time they gain a friendship boost in addition to the regular training boost.

What I've been doing with some success is bringing the cat up to the pasture above your house and tossing the bell out so it can play with it while you tend to the cows. Cats are nice because you don't need to be directly involved for it to train. It WILL get bored of the bell, but then you pick it up and throw it again, and it will be obsessed for a couple hours again. It also makes it easy to train the dog and cat at the same time.

I don't have more than one of each yet, but considering that the max training level allows them to handle 20 animals, I don't know if I'll ever have more than one of each.

ZebTM posted:

Grand Bazaar moves one minute a second, which is pretty slow for a Harvest Moon game.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Updated the OP with the latest happenings. Also, I am not keen in filling this thread with fanart but I wish I had an option between "cute anime" and "artsy anime". If only Handre had bothered with a HM canvas.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Been looking through the Twin Villages official site, once again I'm reminded I'm far too old for this game by being attracted to characters' parents. Why are that chick with the glasses and the guy with the eyepatch not marriageable? :mad: They're way hotter than any HM characters I've seen in... ever.

So in every picture I've seen, the girl's been shown with the crops and the boy with the animals. Is this scripted or can you pick both gender and occupation freely? Is the occupation you pick tied to the village you live in? Also can you go hang out in the village you don't live in if you don't feel like talking to the dweebs you live with?

And is that white haired dude a marriage option, because he looks even gayer than the guy in full makeup.

e:

European village marriage candidates
http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/chara/partner.html

Japanese village marriage candidates
http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/chara/partner2.html

Villagers you totally can't marry
http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/chara/villager.html

Gay dude and hippie child
http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/chara/partner3.html

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 8, 2010

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
So are there only two candidates per gender per village or is that just a teaser thing

After reading up on both I doubt I would enjoy Grand Bazaar, but I'm starting to get a little hype for twin villages

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

WDIIA posted:

After reading up on both I doubt I would enjoy Grand Bazaar

Why?

It looks to me like Twin Villages might play somewhat similarly to Grand Bazaar (it looks like seeds will be single-patch again), but TV is gonna have at least three times the content.

I haven't really seen anybody in this thread say they were disappointed by Grand Bazaar.

edit: Watch the end of the first video, THIS GAME HAS [b]MONKEYS[/i]

http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/movie/index.html

Revol fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 8, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

It looks to me like Twin Villages might play somewhat similarly to Grand Bazaar (it looks like seeds will be single-patch again), but TV is gonna have at least three times the content.

And will have jumping and run toggle removed apparently. I'm so relieved they decided not to make them permanent features, they really are far too innovative and efficient for HM. If we get lucky TV might not even have any intelligent career girls as marriage options.

I'm amazed how insanely racist the original Mexican triplet portraits are. :psyduck: I think someone even said their original dialogue is in broken Japanese with horrible accents.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Does anyone know what upgrading the fishing rod does? I decided to do that after one hoe upgrade and 3 watering can upgrades, and I have no idea what changed with it. Is it higher average level fish? Upgrading the watering can a ton was a wonderful idea though, it takes no time at all to water the crops now. Now I just need more room for crops since I've been slow and haven't bought another field yet.

Does Ivan completely depress anyone else that's trying to marry him? "I had to scold my brother and now I feel bad. :smith:" "I have lots of books! They belonged to my dead dad. :smith:" "Do you have any siblings? I have to raise mine. :smith:"

If Amir is awesome I am dumping Ivan so quickly. I don't like any of the other men. Especially Dirk. I am not making my poor farmer marry a little kid.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I'm torn between marrying Lloyd and Amir. They look like... well, they look over the age of 12. Which is nice.

Also white-haired-guy is a marriage candidate. So is purple haired girl.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I THINK the normal fishing rod upgrades just give you higher ranking fish. Of course the length upgrades allow you to fish further out and catch better fish.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Corridor posted:

I'm amazed how insanely racist the original Mexican triplet portraits are. :psyduck: I think someone even said their original dialogue is in broken Japanese with horrible accents.
Just because it's a caricature doesn't make it automatically racist. I'm sure similar things have been done with American caricatures (like maybe of cowboys or dumb football players or something that sounds American).

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I THINK the normal fishing rod upgrades just give you higher ranking fish. Of course the length upgrades allow you to fish further out and catch better fish.

It's really weird, but I managed to snag a medium fish with my first pole for some reason after upgrading it. A little "!" pops up over my head when I get it out that far, I just don't know how I'm doing it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Hey! Not one of the brothers works in construction, right? If harvest moon was made in Texas America instead of Japan, I'm sure the stereotype would be more offensive.

Harvest Moon: Corporate Farm will come out in 2013 and you can hire undocumented labor to pick your orchard! How low can you pay them? Have to keep them isolated from the community AND feeling in danger of the authorities! Properly manage your threat levels to keep them satisfied with horrible working conditions, but not so threatened it backfires!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My girl and I had OCD-level addiction to this series back in the GBA days. Reading about the hilariously accurate cat antics has sold me on this one.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Corridor posted:

Been looking through the Twin Villages official site, once again I'm reminded I'm far too old for this game by being attracted to characters' parents. Why are that chick with the glasses and the guy with the eyepatch not marriageable? :mad: They're way hotter than any HM characters I've seen in... ever.

I have the same problem. I have never cared about the whole "Eww they all look like babies!" thing. I mean the farmer always looks like the same age as the girls, so obviously in the Harvest Moon world 18-year-olds just look like that! :downs:

Then I played the Rune Factory and God drat it I want to marry the hot Mom that runs the restaurant at the beach!

And in Grand Bazaar I totally want to marry Raul. He's just so cute. :3:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fishylungs posted:

It's really weird, but I managed to snag a medium fish with my first pole for some reason after upgrading it. A little "!" pops up over my head when I get it out that far, I just don't know how I'm doing it.

It can happen during windy days, and stormy days are the best days to fish because of this.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

LordSloth posted:

Harvest Moon: Corporate Farm will come out in 2013 and you can hire undocumented labor to pick your orchard! How low can you pay them? Have to keep them isolated from the community AND feeling in danger of the authorities! Properly manage your threat levels to keep them satisfied with horrible working conditions, but not so threatened it backfires!

You can do this in the GBA Harvest Moon. The sprites avoid all human contact but if you barge into their house and throw enough grass at them, they'll come round and do all your chores for like, nothing. You aren't threatening them with immigration laws, you're bribing them with your affection because they're so lonely that they think slavery is the only way to keep your love. You get to play abusive spouse to a whole tribe of tiny retards and it's awesome.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Then I played the Rune Factory and God drat it I want to marry the hot Mom that runs the restaurant at the beach!

Not to mention the hot mom that runs the weapon shop in RF2. Sure she's insane, but everyone in that game is nuts.

Back before I hated the Island games I always spent all my gifts and affection on the pink-haired mother of that pasty girl and the glasses boy. Maybe if her affection is high enough she'll break her scripted dialogue and have an affair with me. :downs:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has there ever been a PC version of harvest moon? Or even decent clones? It seems like such a solid and clean premise it would have indy clones or knock-offs more often.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

There are like a billion farming-based casual games on PC if that's what you mean. Also Farmville.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Today is the 2nd of Spring, third year, and I just got married to Freya. After you marry, you're given the opportunity to have your spouse give you a pet name.

"We're husband and wife.
I'm so happy, Dude."

After reading the Scott Pilgrim books and watching the movie, I realized I'd love a girlfriend who calls me 'dude'.

Now that I'm in the third year, I've got to get to 75% bazaar. I'm also gonna go beyond my four cows and four chickens, since the third year gives you upgraded animals to buy.

Here's a hint: I find potato to be a great cash crop. A potato plus cooking oil gives you French Fries, which sells for over 700G at two stars. Very nice!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Revol posted:

After you marry, you're given the opportunity to have your spouse give you a pet name.

Ahahah, awesome. So much potential for fun there. Maybe I'll convert my home into a frat house and have her call me Bro. Spend all day brewing beer, chest bumping the mayor, getting the dog drunk...

Or I could force her to pretend she still has a job and have her call me Boss.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Ahahah, awesome. So much potential for fun there. Maybe I'll convert my home into a frat house and have her call me Bro. Spend all day brewing beer, chest bumping the mayor, getting the dog drunk...

Or I could force her to pretend she still has a job and have her call me Boss.

'Master' generally works for me. I'm kind of a jerk though.

e: Although I would love to see the MC chest bump the mayor.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Rune Factory allows you to suggest "M'lord".

Some of them will actually use it, too...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So my grandma is finally (finally!) losing interest in Animal Crossing, and she's heard tell about this 'Harvest Moon' game. Of the Wii titles, which would you recommend? GameRankings suggests Animal Parade, for what that's worth.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Grand Bazaar moves one minute a second, which is pretty slow for a Harvest Moon game.

Cool, I think that's what AWL was too. AWL also had the "time always moves" thing going on which i prefer, stopping time in the mines always seemed a bit silly to me.

I'll pick this up when I get my next paycheck probably

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

After reading a little more, it sounds like grand bazaar doesn't have too much going on aside from basic farming. Is this true or does it have other collectables and mines and such as well like the last few games have had?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

ZebTM posted:

After reading a little more, it sounds like grand bazaar doesn't have too much going on aside from basic farming. Is this true or does it have other collectables and mines and such as well like the last few games have had?

Grand Bazaar is a little lacking when it comes to content, but the content it does have is more polished than most HM titles.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Ugh, I just realized that I had planted three olive trees instead of tea leaves. I just chopped them down to plant tree seeds I had. At least those will only take a month to grow. This time I'll fertilize them every day to see how high I can get them too.

I'm gonna go a bit more in-depth in where I am in the game, and I'd be interested in hearing where everyone else is at too.

Today is Spring 5, third year. I'm married to Freya. I have four cows (one of which is a 'prize' cow who can give Grand Milk) and four chickens. All four cows give 5 star milk. One chicken gives five star eggs, the others are close. I have four dogs who keep an eye on the cows outside, while I still feed the chickens every day indoors.

I have all the crop land expansions. Right now I have two plots growing turnips, the basement is doing potatoes, and I've got one just for trees: apple, peach, grape, and I just planted three tea leaves.

I'm at 50% bazaar. I just recently broke 90k on one week (and that was during Winter, too), but that was because I had 4 apple wines in stock. That said, I think I'll be able to break into 75% bazaar very soon now that I turn my 54 potatoes a week into french fries. Now I need to find a way to get more profit out of the turnips I'm growing.

And that leads me to an idea. What are good strategies for getting the most out of all four plots? Or perhaps three, since I'm saving one for trees. At first, I was thinking I'd try to find good cross-season combination, like two crops that combine well into a high-profit food I can cook. But then I realized that I probably want to use half the greenhouse to grow wheat year-round.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
What do you guys do when you're fertilizing that much? Just buy a bunch from the store or hoard up better stuff from the windmill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

SnakesRevenge posted:

What do you guys do when you're fertilizing that much? Just buy a bunch from the store or hoard up better stuff from the windmill?

I just buy from the store. Seems to me, making your own fertilizer is only viable when you want to breed the perfect five star crop in one square.

• Locked thread