Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Three Olives posted:

You live in a depressing wasteland.

you live in texas, you spoiled human being. an actual city would break you in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

people who use bootstraps rhetoric deserve to be savagely beaten actually

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
I like how the average age here has to be pushing 30 and people still react with disbelief when someone mentions a real life woman they have sex with

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

hemophilia posted:

people who use bootstraps rhetoric deserve to be savagely beaten actually

the whole thing is dumb, i just love it when goons start screeching it as an excuse for the most basic stuff.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I like how the average age here has to be pushing 30 and people still react with disbelief when someone mentions a real life woman they have sex with

I see your reg date but cannot reconcile that with your post

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Pauline Kael posted:

Oh I thought maybe you were making the controversial point that parental involvement actually matters a lot more than expenditure per capita... in the area I live, the worst schools are also the ones that spend the most per capita, and all happen to be in the urban cores of the 3 cities that make up the region.

Well of course parental involvement is important, I thought that was implied when I specified Asians.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

You live in a depressing wasteland.

Lol that looks like a small town to me, what a wasteland :downsrim:

Tone mapped of my window by caberham, on Flickr

Actually, I think I need to live by coastal areas. It's much easier to go to smaller islands or some quiet coast

Hiking!.jpg by caberham, on Flickr

What's nice about the city is the restaurant scene. Some foods you can't really prepare at home like

Sushi at that kind of quality is really really hard to find in North America. I was not impressed with the sushi scene in San Francisco or Vancouver, LA and NYC just barely cut it. Then again, people pay $8 for a can of budweiser here because it's an "import"

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 19, 2015

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the shell of a blockbuster

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

sorry son i know you want a bigger room and more space to play without having to walk thirty minutes to the park without risking getting hit by a car in the street

Crossing the street is not a hard thing. If you are 12 years old and you still can't cross the street properly, you deserve to get run over. If you are 14 and you don't know how to take a bus/metro then you are a loving moron.

quote:

and i know you aren't quite into the whole "theater" scene, and yes

Really depends on the kid though, some love outdoorsey stuff, some don't. Some love theatre/museums/concerts, some don't. Lots of kids just want to play video games all day. There's always some mall a couple train stops away. Or if it's an actual good city, hop on a ferry/gondola for some nature stuff.

quote:

i know the school you go to is poo poo and run-down, but me and your mother decided that living in this human being apartment with too-high rent

Sucks to be tied down to a mortgage payment and large down payment. Yeah, houses will always be the best investment and always go up in value forever :laffo:

quote:

trust me, 8 year old adventurous boy, you don't want to live in a *shudders* SUBURB, there aren't ANY LGBT actors guilds and imported guatemalan pastry shops there! could you even imagine growing up without those experiences?

Actually we can go to a suburb and look at how different people's lives can be. The buses only run once an hour and take forever, there are probably no trains. So you better be a good boy or else your parents won't drop you off where ever you wanted to go. Don't even think about going to places on your own, you need a car for that! You can eat at either Red Robin/Olive Garden/AppleBee's/Macdonalds. Going to a Costco is actually a tourist experience and look at the crazy amount of groceries people can buy. See how fat everyone is and how no one really goes out anywhere at night. Except to that one local movie theatre. Oh and everyone has a fireplace! Isn't that quaint?

Even when you can drive, remember to drive carefully at night because you probably will encounter some drunk driver :smith:

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

Crossing the street is not a hard thing. If you are 12 years old and you still can't cross the street properly, you deserve to get run over. If you are 14 and you don't know how to take a bus/metro then you are a loving moron.

Really depends on the kid though, some love outdoorsey stuff, some don't. Some love theatre/museums/concerts, some don't. Lots of kids just want to play video games all day. There's always some mall a couple train stops away. Or if it's an actual good city, hop on a ferry/gondola for some nature stuff.

Sucks to be tied down to a mortgage payment and large down payment. Yeah, houses will always be the best investment and always go up in value forever :laffo:

Actually we can go to a suburb and look at how different people's lives can be. The buses only run once an hour and take forever, there are probably no trains. So you better be a good boy or else your parents won't drop you off where ever you wanted to go. Don't even think about going to places on your own, you need a car for that! You can eat at either Red Robin/Olive Garden/AppleBee's/Macdonalds. Going to a Costco is actually a tourist experience and look at the crazy amount of groceries people can buy. See how fat everyone is and how no one really goes out anywhere at night. Except to that one local movie theatre. Oh and everyone has a fireplace! Isn't that quaint?

Even when you can drive, remember to drive carefully at night because you probably will encounter some drunk driver :smith:

Go back to Massachusetts, pinko

edit:

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 19, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

Go back to Massachusetts, pinko

Excuse me, I live in Ron Paul's paradise :911: The true bastion for freedom and libertarians :downsrim:

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

Excuse me, I live in Ron Paul's paradise :911: The true bastion for freedom and libertarians :downsrim:

Sorry you're angry about suburbs. Maybe Three Olives will invite you over for a nice cup of Keurig Coffee and some gay

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

Sorry you're angry about suburbs. Maybe Three Olives will invite you over for a nice cup of Keurig Coffee and some gay

Well if you live in a drought prone area and you insist on having a green grass lawn instead of a rock lawn then I might get angry.

There are lot more other things to do in the city besides being Gay with Three Olives. Oh and i think he lives in a suburb :downsrim:

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

Well if you live in a drought prone area and you insist on having a green grass lawn instead of a rock lawn then I might get angry.

Nope. I have more goddamned water here than I could use in 1000 lifetimes, then a creek in the backyard.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I remember back when gas was over $4 a gallon. All the suburbanites commuting to work for an hour one-way in their SUV's flipped the gently caress out.

Bitching about how they can't sell their SUV and get a car because then their kids won't fit. Bitching that they can't move closer to work because they don't want their kids in the 'bad' school district. Bitching that the boss wouldn't let them telecommute from home once a week (lol), scheduling early morning project meetings to justify driving a company car home at night.

If gas ever hits $5/gallon, there will be mass suicides in suburbia. Those schlubs would rather die than be seen on their non-existant public transportation.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
My plan is to contribute to the housing shortage by buying a triple apartment house in the city and raising the rent so the tenants leave. Then it will be mine, all mine. This will be the trend in every medium sized city around. I get to be a greedy rear end in a top hat, and live in the city. It's the best of both worlds.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Mike posted:

My plan is to contribute to the housing shortage by buying a triple apartment house in the city and raising the rent so the tenants leave. Then it will be mine, all mine. This will be the trend in every medium sized city around. I get to be a greedy rear end in a top hat, and live in the city. It's the best of both worlds.

You should kill all your neighbours as well and then buy those houses at a cheaper value

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

caberham posted:

You should kill all your neighbours as well and then buy those houses at a cheaper value

Those houses are on the market because of a brutal unsolved mass-murder. That'll knock ten grand off the asking, easy.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

caberham posted:

The neighbors do a drat fine job of killing themselves. I just have to build a giant loving fence around my house before they kill me.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Which is a better setting for a sitcom:

1. A young bachelor moves into a condo with some sexy ladies

2. A man lives in the suburbs with his wife and has a job and kids. He's middle class so he's not Al Bundy.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Do It Once Right posted:

I remember back when gas was over $4 a gallon. All the suburbanites commuting to work for an hour one-way in their SUV's flipped the gently caress out.

Bitching about how they can't sell their SUV and get a car because then their kids won't fit. Bitching that they can't move closer to work because they don't want their kids in the 'bad' school district. Bitching that the boss wouldn't let them telecommute from home once a week (lol), scheduling early morning project meetings to justify driving a company car home at night.

If gas ever hits $5/gallon, there will be mass suicides in suburbia. Those schlubs would rather die than be seen on their non-existant public transportation.

Ya it's tough being an adult ? What's your point OP

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Roy posted:

Which is a better setting for a sitcom:

1. A young bachelor moves into a condo with some sexy ladies

2. A man lives in the suburbs with his wife and has a job and kids. He's middle class so he's not Al Bundy.

Which show do you like more, Three's Company or Modern Family?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Foid One posted:

Ya it's tough being an adult ?

It's really not. Send your kids to private school, even if it's just a lovely catholic one.
Can't afford that? Don't have kids.

Live beneath your means so that when commodities fluctuate you can whether the storm. Don't buy a boat. Because then you're the neighbor who bought a boat.
Or a timeshare. Jesus Christ, you know how everybody knows the suburbs are a bad decision? Because the people surrounding you are a statistical honeypot of poor decision-makers trying soooo hard to manage their money responsibly.

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 20, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And for those folks who live in the cities :

Don't eat out all the time.
Go easy on traveling.
Pack your lunch.
Sometimes just stay in your home, read a book or play some video games, don't need to be out all the time.

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

loving lol at Three Olive being proud of living in the new Jersey of whatever texas town he can see out of his window

Butch Otter fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 20, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Mr. Darsie posted:

loving lol at Three Olive being proud of living in the new Jersey of whatever texas town he can see out of his window

It's Uptown Dallas, it's one of the wealthiest areas of the region.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Do It Once Right posted:

It's really not. Send your kids to private school, even if it's just a lovely catholic one.
Can't afford that? Don't have kids.

Live beneath your means so that when commodities fluctuate you can whether the storm. Don't buy a boat. Because then you're the neighbor who bought a boat.
Or a timeshare. Jesus Christ, you know how everybody knows the suburbs are a bad decision? Because the people surrounding you are a statistical honeypot of poor decision-makers trying soooo hard to manage their money responsibly.

You're dumb

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i have lived on a military base, the downtown area of a city, an old residential area of a city (non suburb), the suburbs with clone houses, and in the country, and i've found happiness and contentment in all of them

i guess in nerd terms this means i am one of those unit classes that is decent at everything and good at nothing

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i have lived on a military base, the downtown area of a city, an old residential area of a city (non suburb), the suburbs with clone houses, and in the country, and i've found happiness and contentment in all of them

i guess in nerd terms this means i am one of those unit classes that is decent at everything and good at nothing

Think you are just a normal well adjusted human being.

Unlike most goons.

I'm gay.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I liked Hey Arnold! but I like living in the suburban-style parts of the inner city, like 5 miles or so from downtown in a neighborhood none of the gentrifying hipsters notice because it has middle class families just chilling and welcoming their new hispanic(panic) neighbors

I like East Dallas

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Do It Once Right posted:

People who feel ways about things are stupid. People in the city never bitch about anything so they are cool.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Zippy the Bummer posted:

as opposed to goonaverage which gets 18 in Smug and Girth and 3s in everything else

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Vorik posted:

one day you are going to wake up, and you are 44 and you will walk out to your your driveway and look around at the hundreds of other yous with similar houses, cars and driveways

it is going to hit you all at once, and you are going to break down right there on the driveway and cry your eyes out because you've wasted your life

you can barely feel anymore and the height of the past week was Pedro coming over to do your lawn

you will realize you've been having the exact same conversations with your wife, whom you stopped loving decades ago, your kids who you can't connect with, your neighbors who are as terrified of human interaction as you and you are going to curse yourself for being such a huge loving human being and for not realizing you willingly moved yourself and your family to a limbo where life is under constant assault until there is hardly anything left for anyone to feel. you are trapped here forever, in this pocket dimension and the world will move on without you and in 5000 years you are still going to be a human being

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Three Olives posted:

It's Uptown Dallas, it's one of the wealthiest areas of the region.

Dallas isn't a real city. Seriously, who brags about living in Dallas? It's basically Houston, but without the great job market that Houston has.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 20, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Dallas isn't a real city. Seriously, who brags about living in Dallas? It's basically Houston, but without the great job market that Houston has.

Outside of the like 10 city blocks of downtown, Dallas is pretty much just a giant suburb. Hearing TO gush over his 'city' living like he's in a rent controlled in Greenwich Village is the best part of this debate. I'm wondering if he's ever even been to a real city.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pauline Kael posted:

Outside of the like 10 city blocks of downtown, Dallas is pretty much just a giant suburb. Hearing TO gush over his 'city' living like he's in a rent controlled in Greenwich Village is the best part of this debate. I'm wondering if he's ever even been to a real city.

Dallas downtown is also pretty empty especially during the miserable summer weather.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is downtown dead after work or Sunday?

How does Dallas compare to.. Vancouver lol

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

Pauline Kael posted:

Nope. I have more goddamned water here than I could use in 1000 lifetimes, then a creek in the backyard.

First I'm worried about you. But now I just want to punch you. Is that OK?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I like it. Got a decent job, the city provides what I want out it, and Austin was bullshit.

I think the saying was "Dallas is so inauthentic it wraps back around into its own brand of authenticity." Watching yuppies desperately trying to play-act as millionaires and the total obsession to demolishing the past (they bulldozed an "old" (60 ish years) church to make way for more mcmansions) is weirdly invigorating. Dallas isn't a real city, but that's the whole point.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Vorik posted:

one day you are going to wake up, and you are 44 and you will walk out to your your driveway and look around at the hundreds of other yous with similar houses, cars and driveways

it is going to hit you all at once, and you are going to break down right there on the driveway and cry your eyes out because you've wasted your life

you can barely feel anymore and the height of the past week was Pedro coming over to do your lawn

If I wake up at 44 and my neighbors all have similar cars and driveways to us, I will laugh myself into a coma.

Meanwhile, you will continue to live in your miniscule cell surrounded by thousands of other schlubs in their miniscule cells, all walking to their dreary dead end jobs in your office cubicle cell which is so indistinguishable from your home cell that you need to hit the same overpriced downtown bar every night to drink away the pain until you are numb enough to go back to your home cell and hopefully sleep it off in time to go back to your work cell so you can afford your home cell and to hit the bar again, all the while trying to convince yourself that "This is living" and that at least you're not tied down to a house or hobbies or long term relationships. No, you are lovingly cradled with thousands of others, and you are Free. Who needs open spaces when you have Jose to cultivate your artificial park that you and a thousand other drones can shamble through on your way to the next drink?

Man, you've got it made compared to those scrubs living out in the sticks. I mean, how far would THEY have to walk to get a decent latte?

man, not even a starbucks in sight..

• Locked thread