Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What HR department? Batista just hires off the street.

Harrison will be promoted above Batista in the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

massive spider posted:

This show won awards.

I enjoyed Season 4 quite a bit :shrug:

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

massive spider posted:

This show won awards.

Nah, it wasn't THIS show.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Oh it will be. Just wait for MCH to win an Emmy over Brian Cranston!

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Declan MacManus posted:

Entourage never aspired to be more than what it was: a shallow show about some bros hanging out and being famous. Like it or hate it, I don't remember HBO selling the show as anything other than that. Dexter aspires for greatness which makes its failures all the more frustrating.

While Entourage never tried for much, it never was full retard like the last season.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh it will be. Just wait for MCH to win an Emmy over Brian Cranston!

my sides

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Did they ever clear up what the hell happened with Deb's poisoning last season? Her water bottle was poisoned with something that apparently wouldn't kill Deb on its own, but made her pass out in traffic. I thought there was even a scene where Hannah was like "She'd be dead if it was me," because the whole scheme was so half-assed -- how the gently caress would the poisoner know she'd drink the water while driving, or that the crash would be fatal (it wasn't.)?

It wasn't even elaborated much on last season, either. Deb passes out at the wheel, Dexter finds some water bottle with :siren: weird powder :siren: in it, what could it be??? Dexter tested it but I guess the results got lost in the mail. Or his magical results-machine broke.

It's pretty obvious that the writers forgot ever single thing that happened to Deb that doesn't also have to do with Quair.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

suztan posted:

It wasn't even elaborated much on last season, either. Deb passes out at the wheel, Dexter finds some water bottle with :siren: weird powder :siren: in it, what could it be??? Dexter tested it but I guess the results got lost in the mail. Or his magical results-machine broke.

It's pretty obvious that the writers forgot ever single thing that happened to Deb that doesn't also have to do with Quair.
Didn't Hannah admit to it after she'd been arrested? Which was the dumbest thing ever, because it was an absolutely nonsensical plan that could only possibly have worked if she wasn't already known for poisoning everyone in arm's reach. I really wish they'd had Deb poison herself to make Dexter turn on Hannah, that could have actually gone somewhere.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I remember it being Xanax, which Deb had a prescription for so it would have looked like she took too many and passed out. That or my imagination fills in blanks. I don't know anymore.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

misguided rage posted:

Didn't Hannah admit to it after she'd been arrested? Which was the dumbest thing ever, because it was an absolutely nonsensical plan that could only possibly have worked if she wasn't already known for poisoning everyone in arm's reach. I really wish they'd had Deb poison herself to make Dexter turn on Hannah, that could have actually gone somewhere.

It would've actually made less sense.

Deb was working on arresting her and for all she knew she was close. Pulling off the logistics for drugging yourself and staging a life-threatening car accident going from Miami to Hialeah on a point-A to point-B route is pretty much impossible.

The reason Hannah used Xanax instead of mysterious-undetectable-aconite-poison-PI-tricks is so that it would show up in toxicology that Deb just passed out at the wheel from overmedicating instead of having a mysterious heart-attack that would make Dexter in particular super suspicious. The water bottle would be trashed with the car so there wouldn't be any real evidence.

But Dexter got super suspicious anyway and investigated and OH WELL it's not like any of this poo poo mattered in Season 8 anyway.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Junkfist posted:

It would've actually made less sense.

Deb was working on arresting her and for all she knew she was close. Pulling off the logistics for drugging yourself and staging a life-threatening car accident going from Miami to Hialeah on a point-A to point-B route is pretty much impossible.
The logistics aren't exactly difficult, 1) drink drugs 2) crash car as safely as you can 3) blame your brother's poisoning murderer girlfriend. "But that's stupid, why would Deb crash her car on purpose!" you say, "She would never do that, especially not into a lake a season later".

I don't really care how much sense it would make, I just think the fallout could have been infinitely more interesting than what we got.

Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.

misguided rage posted:

The logistics aren't exactly difficult, 1) drink drugs 2) crash car as safely as you can 3) blame your brother's poisoning murderer girlfriend. "But that's stupid, why would Deb crash her car on purpose!" you say, "She would never do that, especially not into a lake a season later".

I don't really care how much sense it would make, I just think the fallout could have been infinitely more interesting than what we got.

That's where I thought they were going with it initially after Dexter's voiceover explaining that the positive result means "she did it!" I could see Deb's jealousy leading her to fake an attempted murder to get rid of Hannah.

That would have been more entertaining at least. I really hate Scott gently caress

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hard to believe it's the end of the last season of this show and this is where they are at. It's just mind blowing how half assed they decided to end the series.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

misguided rage posted:

It was on a busy main road.

She was driving a convertible that flipped. You saw the wreckage.

There is literally no safe or discrete way to do this.

This isn't an emotionally-impulsive murder/suicide, it would have to be a well-planned frame job that she wouldn even need as she was getting close to putting Hannah away.

It's impossible and out of character.

Don't get mad about Dexter, it's not worth it anymore.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Junkfist posted:

Dexter, it's not worth it anymore.

That about sums it all up, really.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

"loving Dexter" is the shorter and most apropos statement.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
Finally watching the most recent episode. How long until I kill myself?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Mr. Mallory posted:

Finally watching the most recent episode. How long until I kill myself?

That depends on whether or not you thought The OC was finely acted and directed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Me in Reverse posted:

"loving Dexter" is the shorter and most apropos statement.

New thread title, please. We deserve it for the finale.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I hope they announce 4 seasons of prequel soon.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I told my friend about how poo poo Dexter has been, and he asked when he should stop watching if he wanted to start watching the show. I said watch the first 4 seasons and I will spoil the rest if he wants. That way he gets to see the good Dexter and if he wants a good laugh tell him how it ends.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Junkfist posted:

It's impossible and out of character.

Don't get mad about Dexter, it's not worth it anymore.
It's not any more impossible, out of character, or ridiculous than most of the other poo poo they've pulled, while it could also have made for an actually interesting plotline. Although considering how they ended up handling the 'brother and sister at odds' thing in this season it probably would have been terrible anyways.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

misguided rage posted:

It's not any more impossible, out of character, or ridiculous than most of the other poo poo they've pulled, while it could also have made for an actually interesting plotline. Although considering how they ended up handling the 'brother and sister at odds' thing in this season it probably would have been terrible anyways.

Anything that grants Hannah McKay sympathy or an excuse to be further involved with the central plot of Dexter is terrible.

Season 8, which had to ignore the plot point of Hannah poisoning Deb to make this happen, made this very clear.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Junkfist posted:

Anything that grants Hannah McKay sympathy or an excuse to be further involved with the central plot of Dexter is terrible.
Well yeah I agree completely but since it happened anyway...

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I wish incest happened instead of Hannah stuff.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Could someone recap the past 2 episodes? I thought I could make myself keep watching but I don't know anymore.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

asciidic posted:

It's hard to believe that the show has forced us to this point, but it has.

Dazerbeams posted:

Could someone recap the past 2 episodes? I thought I could make myself keep watching but I don't know anymore.

The only important things that happened were Vogel got killed by Saxon, and then Dexter and Deb caught Saxon but Dexter didn't kill him. Instead he chose to let Deb arrest him, which led to the Marshall who was chasing Hannah letting Saxon go, getting himself killed. Saxon then shoots Deb and escape.

Congratulations you're all primed to watch the finale! Oh and Deb's not dead at least not yet since he shot her in the stomach or something I guess.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jedit posted:

New thread title, please. We deserve it for the finale.

I think the thread title should just be gently caress DEXTER

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Entropic posted:

I think the thread title should just be gently caress DEXTER
The TV IV > gently caress DEXTER: Series Finale [Good loving Riddance]

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Just wanted to say I haven't watched Dexter since halfway through season 3 but this thread is very fun to read :)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

misguided rage posted:

No, it's fine. Deb was in love with Dexter, then found out he was a murderer, then found out her dad trained Dexter to kill, Dexter's girlfriend tried to murder her, then she murdered someone to save Dexter, quit her job, started shacking up with a dangerous criminal and doing cocaine, Dexter murdered the guy she was with in front of her, she murdered another guy in cold blood, tried to confess but Dexter drugged her, she tried to kill herself and Dexter at the same time, and now she's fine.

That's a perfectly fine character arc

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Just wanted to say I haven't watched Dexter since halfway through season 3 but this thread is very fun to read :)

What the hell, man? Go back and watch until the end of season 4 then never touch it again. It's legit good.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

NC-17 posted:

I don't think any of the writers have ever been around small children before. The dialog for Harrison is just beyond unbelievably bad.

If a four year fell and gashed open their chin - was bleeding all over themselves - I can promise you he wouldn't say "oweee oweee oweee." There would be about 15 seconds of total silence as his mouth was wide open, drawing in as much air as possible, followed by blood curdling screaming that would probably make the neighbors think you were murdering your child.

Not to defend this poo poo show, but the actor IS just a little kid, like in real life and stuff. I wouldn't really expect a performance like that.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

The reason that it hurts so much is that Dexter was indeed an awesome show. Dex finding Rita in the bath (as much as I hated her) physically stunned me for full minutes. We used to have a close, emotional bond, Dexter and I.

Then he went and hosed Ted.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

asciidic posted:

Before Hannah would be an excuse to keep watching, since Yvonne Strahovski is :swoon: but now her character is so dull that I can't stand her anymore.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grin and Tonic posted:

Not to defend this poo poo show, but the actor IS just a little kid, like in real life and stuff. I wouldn't really expect a performance like that.

Children generally don't have a problem pretending to scream and cry in plenty of other television and movies. It seems like very little effort was put into that scene and it's embarrassingly poor as a result. Compared to Harrison's performance the baby playing Holly should get an Oscar for what she did in Breaking Bad on Sunday.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

NC-17 posted:

Children generally don't have a problem pretending to scream and cry in plenty of other television and movies. It seems like very little effort was put into that scene and it's embarrassingly poor as a result. Compared to Harrison's performance the baby playing Holly should get an Oscar for what she did in Breaking Bad on Sunday.

Oh wow yeah I was just going to say this. She ad-libbed her first words "Mama" in the scene, give her an award now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I would go so far as to say she gave a more compelling performance than most of the adult actors on Dexter did that week.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Entropic posted:

I would go so far as to say she gave a more compelling performance than most of the adult actors on Dexter did that week.

Now come on let's not exaggerate.

Exactly which adult Dexter actor do you think was more compelling, hmm??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hard to believe it's the end of the last season of this show and this is where they are at. It's just mind blowing how half assed they decided to end the series.

I don't know about you but I'm on the edge of my seat!

About to get up and go get a drink to numb the inevitable pain

• Locked thread